GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

GLC and families - any experience?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-15-2016, 10:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bmw 328xi
GLC and families - any experience?

Hi everyone - I am new to this forum. Currently drive a BMW 328xi, but with two kids under three, we want to upgrade to a SUV for space reasons. I think I'm done with BMW for the foreseeable future for various reasons, so taking a serious look at MB.

I wanted to canvass folks and see what opinions were for getting a 2016/17 GLC if you have a young family. Is the storage adequate? Enough room for car seats? Other considerations?

The GLE is clearly a better fit space-wise, but I much prefer the look of the GLC, and TBH, the price.

Appreciate any thoughts. Cheers.
Old 08-15-2016, 03:53 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
GLC 220d Sport Premium Plus/Offroad pkg
Plenty of room for our 2 grandchildren, one in a rear facing combo, the other a toddler sized car seat. The latter used to kick the back of the driver's seat in our previous car, but the GLC has generous rear legroom. She also likes being higher up, so that she can look out of the window successfully.
Old 08-15-2016, 04:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 Volkswagen GTI (mine), 2016 Mercedes GLC300 (wife's)
We have a newborn and a live-in MIL who joins us on family outings. The GLC is fine as long as you limit the amount of kid junk you haul around with you. We can fit a Baby Jogger City Mini stroller and diaper bag in the back and still have plenty of room for groceries. The liftover height is a little high, but all of the underfloor storage is nice to have. Rear-facing car seat fits fine.

Coming from a Honda Accord, small item storage up front is a bit disappointing. The glove box is so small that the owners manual has to live in the driver's side door pocket. Nowhere to stash your cell phone except for the center console cupholders.
Old 08-16-2016, 11:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 184 Likes on 151 Posts
GLC 300d 4matic
Originally Posted by gkw4815
The glove box is so small that the owners manual has to live in the driver's side door pocket. Nowhere to stash your cell phone except for the center console cupholders.

Is the storage under the armrest not big enough for your phone (nice slot above the cable and sd slots)........unless you have a 1980's Brick phone!!
Old 08-16-2016, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by decorily
Is the storage under the armrest not big enough for your phone (nice slot above the cable and sd slots)........unless you have a 1980's Brick phone!!
It's a bit cludgy to have to open the lid and dig it out when needed.

Wife's old Accord, and my GTI, have a storage bin at the base of the center console, just below the climate controls. Actually, the Honda had two bins.

Guess what I really need is a decent phone holder.
Old 08-16-2016, 01:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLC 300d 4matic
Are you aware that the moulded cup holder in the centre console clips out to leave a nice flat storage. Handy if you don't use the cup holders!!
Old 08-16-2016, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by decorily
Are you aware that the moulded cup holder in the centre console clips out to leave a nice flat storage. Handy if you don't use the cup holders!!
I appreciated this feature last weekend, when my coffee spilled all over the cupholders. Being able to pull all the parts out individually made cleanup much easier
Old 08-21-2016, 03:38 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Glc 300 4matic
I have 3 car seats in my car. Two forward facing in the outboard positions and one rear facing in the middle. It is doable. The backseat is pretty spacious. Of course I did have to have 3 narrow seats (Diono radians) to pull off 3 in a row. The kids are pretty much shoulder to shoulder so the fighting gets a bit ridiculous. The cargo space is a little tight if you need a stroller in addition to luggage or groceries. I bought an umbrella stroller to keep back there and leave the jogging stroller home.
I agree it is annoying to have the cup holders as the only phone storage. Unless you carry a very small purse and put it in the center console (what mother has a small purse) at the front passengers feet it goes. I am still adjusting to less space as I came from a Highlander. If we didn't also have a minivan I'm not sure I could have justified the smaller car.
Old 08-21-2016, 10:19 AM

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
2016 GLC300 4Matic
Originally Posted by kinleysma
I agree it is annoying to have the cup holders as the only phone storage. Unless you carry a very small purse and put it in the center console (what mother has a small purse) at the front passengers feet it goes. I am still adjusting to less space as I came from a Highlander. If we didn't also have a minivan I'm not sure I could have justified the smaller car.
You may not be aware, or perhaps it's not suitable for you, but there is a phone shelf (perfect size for my iPhone5) just above the usb ports in the console.
Old 08-23-2016, 12:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLC300
We just took out first road trip (family of 4). Everybody and everything fit, but I don't think it would be possible with another person. The car was fantastic though. I finally got a chance to use Distronic and am really impressed. The power outlets for the rear seats were also worth what ever they cost us.
Old 08-23-2016, 12:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLC 300d 4matic
Yip....I have some experience with GLCs and families.

Both are expensive!

By the way the first 16 years are difficult with a family..............and after that it gets VERY difficult!!

Enjoy.
Old 09-10-2016, 06:57 PM

Merecedes GLC 300 4-Matic
GLC and families

We just bought a 2017 GLC 4-Matic and it seems to have plenty of room for 3 kids in the back, or 2 baby seats. Coming from a Honda Accord, it's very roomy and has lots of cargo space.
For bigger groups we still have my old ('05) Honda Pilot. We've had 8 people and luggage on the roof on a 300-mile trip in that Pilot, with no problems at all.
Old 11-06-2016, 06:33 PM

Honda Accord
Hi - has anyone used one rear facing plus one forward facing car seat at back - and still have room for a 3rd adult in back row? can either the forward or rear facing fit in the middle as per preference? thanks.
Old 11-06-2016, 06:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Glc 300 4matic
You would do just fine with a Diono Radian front facing outboard and the same rear facing in the center. I think you could switch them too but putting the rear facing seat outboard will eat up some front passenger leg room. If you go that route definitely get the angle adjuster pad for the rear faced seat to get a few more inches as they are tall seats. I have 3 in my backseat and just recently switched my rear faced forward. You could also look up narrow seats. I know Diono has the corner on this market though.