GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

GLC in "Limp Mode"

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 09:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLC in "Limp Mode"

My GLC has about 1500 miles on it. It has had a variety of problems and has been in the shop 5 times in the last two months (twice for wiper chatter, three times for screeching brakes). All those issues are finally fixed (I think).

The last couple of times I brought it in, I also complained about a vibration at idle, and the techs did a variety of diagnostics and said they can't feel anything abnormal or find any problems in the computer. Car was last in the shop to fix wiper chatter on Friday, and that's when they did the final diagnostic for the vibration as well.

Now, today (Monday), on the way home, the car went into "Limp Mode" and was stuck in gears 2, 3, and 4. (Would not go down to 1, would not shift up into 5). The display said "Do not change gears" -- "Service Required" -- "Visit Dealer." So the vehicle is in the shop for visit #6. I'm waiting to hear back on the diagnostics but it seems to me from reading the forums that "Limp Mode" is typically triggered by things that happen waaay down the road when a car has 50k, 60k, or 100k+ miles on it.

Any thoughts as to why I'd get limp mode with 1500 miles, and whether it has anything to do with the rough idle (that apparently only I can feel and the techs say is normal)? The car drove fine over the weekend...

Last edited by Redcat255; 12-05-2016 at 09:48 PM.
Old 12-07-2016, 02:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 263 Likes on 207 Posts
C450, GLC43
There is no way to tell what's wrong from this little info. It could be a major issue with the drive train or something as simple as a loose connection on a sensor. The dealership will pull the trouble codes and ID the problem.
Old 12-07-2016, 08:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 SLK 350
GLC in limp mode

I would approach the dealership on exchanging your vehicle for another. Is there a lemon law in place?
Old 12-07-2016, 11:05 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
GenesisG70 '20 GLC300 DakotaBrwn/Silk '16
Originally Posted by Watchgeek1
I would approach the dealership on exchanging your vehicle for another. Is there a lemon law in place?
I guess there is no harm in asking, but wiper chatter and an occasional (only backing up) brake noise aren't IMO major issues. Hard for me to think that a dealer would eat those costs- or maybe they resell at a good price?

On a plus note, if the issue is fixed, any odds that everything else is AOK? If so, then pull that trigger, otherwise, you have a vehicle with the issues resolved.