GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

GLC and audio streaming from phone

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 12:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Audi A4 Allroad
GLC and audio streaming from phone

Hi guys, I have a question for current GLC owners: Are you able to play music from Spotify in your smartphone (I have iphone). Are you at least able to do the basics like list the songs, play/pause/next?
The same for audiobooks (I use Audible). Can you at least play/pause the book?
(Connection could be via bluetooth or cable, I don't care much.)
I made a visit to local dealer and we were not able to do it, like to pause book.
Old 01-23-2017, 04:07 PM

GLC 43 AMG
Yes you can
Old 01-23-2017, 04:20 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
GLC 300
Make sure you are using a good lightning cable. My official apple cable works fine, but if I use a certain off brand that I have, it won't do media (but works fine for charging). I don't know whether you can pause books, etc, but my daughter runs spotify all the time and is definitely able to do all those things.
The following users liked this post:
Martin Pasko (01-25-2017)
Old 01-24-2017, 02:45 AM

Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts
right to be forgotten
Originally Posted by Zing
Make sure you are using a good lightning cable. My official apple cable works fine, but if I use a certain off brand that I have, it won't do media (but works fine for charging). I don't know whether you can pause books, etc, but my daughter runs spotify all the time and is definitely able to do all those things.
Does Spotify work for use using the lightning cable and Media Interface? I couldn't get it to work last weekend.

The moment I switched to a bluetooth connection and played Spotify it all worked fine.

This was using my niece's iPhone 5s. I don't use Spotify as I prefer Apple Music and that works just fine via both wireless and the lightning cable as it stores the music locally like an iPod does.
Old 01-24-2017, 09:57 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2017 GLC 300
Originally Posted by dejongj
Does Spotify work for use using the lightning cable and Media Interface? I couldn't get it to work last weekend.

The moment I switched to a bluetooth connection and played Spotify it all worked fine.

This was using my niece's iPhone 5s. I don't use Spotify as I prefer Apple Music and that works just fine via both wireless and the lightning cable as it stores the music locally like an iPod does.
I am able to play Spotify via the lightning cable from an iPhone 6 on my 2017 GLC. I doubt it matters but FWIW I have a Spotify Premium account. I would make sure your phone has all of the latest updates (Spotify and iOS) installed.
Martin Pasko (01-25-2017)
Old 01-25-2017, 02:20 AM

Audi A4 Allroad
Thank you for your replies!
I was at dealership yesterday (bringing with me a proper apple cable , and I could play Spotify music from my iPhone6 no problems (I have premium Spotify and so have the songs downloaded on phone). I couldn't list the songs, but that's not so important for me. I was also able tu play/pause audiobooks from Audible, so great
Actually I find the infotaiment system the worst part on the GLC, but if it can do these 2 things it's ok for me. Today I'll check if the same thing is possible on the basic infotainment (no Command), if this cheaper version would be enough for me.
Old 01-25-2017, 03:42 AM

right to be forgotten
Originally Posted by Martin Pasko
Thank you for your replies!
I was at dealership yesterday (bringing with me a proper apple cable , and I could play Spotify music from my iPhone6 no problems (I have premium Spotify and so have the songs downloaded on phone). I couldn't list the songs, but that's not so important for me. I was also able tu play/pause audiobooks from Audible, so great
Actually I find the infotaiment system the worst part on the GLC, but if it can do these 2 things it's ok for me. Today I'll check if the same thing is possible on the basic infotainment (no Command), if this cheaper version would be enough for me.
The burmester and command online are for me by themselves totally worth the upgrade. As is linguatronic to command everything by voice. Full navigation with internet based realtime traffic updates etc...

I don't get what is so bad about the system, it does everything my iPod does. Gets the playlists and everything.
Old 01-26-2017, 03:30 AM

Audi A4 Allroad
@dejongj: what I don't like about Command:
- phone audiostreaming should be better supported - no list of audiobooks, missing pause/play button (you have to use mute on steering wheel)
- I find it a bit confusing to use - could be subjective feeling
- the screen doesn't look good
- no CarPlay yet
- when compared to infotainment in new Audi A4/Q5/Q7 it just feels slow and aged
Don't take me wrong, it's not completely bad, but comparing to the rest of the car (which I find great in every aspect) it feels awkward to me, and aged.
And also real time traffic not yet supported in my country - Slovakia (EU), so I can't enjoy this valuable feature (it's probably not the fault of MB).
dejongj (01-26-2017)
Old 01-26-2017, 03:42 AM

right to be forgotten
Originally Posted by Martin Pasko
@dejongj: what I don't like about Command:
- phone audiostreaming should be better supported - no list of audiobooks, missing pause/play button (you have to use mute on steering wheel)
- I find it a bit confusing to use - could be subjective feeling
- the screen doesn't look good
- no CarPlay yet
- when compared to infotainment in new Audi A4/Q5/Q7 it just feels slow and aged
Don't take me wrong, it's not completely bad, but comparing to the rest of the car (which I find great in every aspect) it feels awkward to me, and aged.
And also real time traffic not yet supported in my country - Slovakia (EU), so I can't enjoy this valuable feature (it's probably not the fault of MB).
I must admit that I do not use Audio books, if I had audio books would this list be expanded? I'm see the exact same list on Command Online as I see on my phone, see the picture attached.

Yes confusing to use is subjective I guess I was already used to it from my GL for the last 3 years...

Screen doesn't look good - is that as in blocky and bad graphics or is that in layout. Don't know which screen you have, Mercedes does two different screens in the GLC. I've got the full size version and it looks pretty sharp to me. It displays the cover art and all the information.

I love my gadgets, and I would love CarPlay but actually having seen it and how it is so separate from the rest of the car I don't think I want it anymore. But we are all different. I really like the integration of how it all fits together.

But yes if you don't get traffic information which I would argue is a key point of using Satnav for most journeys (I know where I'm going but I don't know where the traffic will be), then I would want to use CarPlay on the big screen as well.
Attached Thumbnails GLC and audio streaming from phone-fullsizeoutput_4b9.jpeg  
Martin Pasko (01-26-2017)
Old 01-26-2017, 06:02 AM

Audi A4 Allroad
@dejongj:
Library - no you wouldn't see the books from Audible in this Library. That's a different application. For music I use Spotify (as all my music is there, and playlists) where I couldn't get such library view. Spotify is a widely used and accepted music app, it's pity there isn't more support for it. But I agree that the list you show is all one needs, if it supports your app
Screen - yes the screen is ok, nice and sharp, although it could be faster. By ugly I meant the display device that is just too big for the screen and doesn't really fit with otherwise up-to-date looking interior. Also I'm an IT guy so a bit more sensitive and demanding for these things
And I almost forgot, I find the touchpad not good enough for comfortable use.

Last edited by Martin Pasko; 01-26-2017 at 06:20 AM.
Old 01-26-2017, 07:11 AM

right to be forgotten
I agree I've switched off the touch pad, I found it too sensitive and in the wrong place for when driving a car. Feeling a click on the wheel is much better feedback compared and saves having to look back.

I was really against the iPad style put on the dashboard, but it has grown on me and is not as annoying anymore. They could have made the bezel more smaller though as the screen is not as back. So yes I agree with you again

I hear what you say regarding Spotify, I think the problem is that the device basically has got an iPod interface for locally stored music, similarly for Android it will try and read locally stored music. So when you use cloud streaming services the UI doesn't know what to look for and read with your phone as an intermediate. I think it would be cool if Mercedes had a Spotify App build in instead of those nonsense apps they have now.

Listening to what others have written on this subject it does seem that if you have the premium Spotify subscription it does allow local storage and then it does pick it up.

But that is why I use Apple Music, it just works for the whole family, easy to share, and across a whole multitude of devices.
Old 01-27-2017, 02:26 PM

Audi A4 Allroad
Yes, that would be great if they support Spotify fully, as, btw, many premium music device brands do (Naim, Denon). I agree with you Apple Music is fine, I settled with Spotify early on when Apple music was still in devel labs . (It also has all the features you mentioned.)

I have the premium Spotify account, it was playing ok, I just couldn't list the songs and move between albums/playlists like you can with apple music. I was only trying it in showroom, so could be I missed something.

I have now an uneasy decision, GLC or A4 allroad

Last edited by Martin Pasko; 01-27-2017 at 02:31 PM.
Old 01-27-2017, 02:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,103 Likes on 808 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Can you really go wrong with Motor Trend SUV of the year ?

On Spotify - won't Spotify now allow you to download - to listen offline - and/or you can use Sidify to remove DRM and store on a USB stick - or .... ?
Old 01-27-2017, 02:55 PM

Audi A4 Allroad
@fabbrisd1: yeah that could be possible but it's a bit of dirty work And if you go that way, you loose the ability these new techs give you - A new album came out that you like? Bang with few clicks you have it available and also mixed-in in 3 of your mood themed playlists. Once I have this feature I don't want to loose it

I think I can't go wrong with any of these cars!