GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

GLC 43 Jerking when accelerating after near stop.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-25-2017, 04:53 PM

Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts
right to be forgotten
Originally Posted by dejongj
You aren't heavy footed are you? I mean could it be that the hold function is engaging?
Originally Posted by cahiil55k
No, I am very light footed on brakes except when applying parking brake in neutral.
Originally Posted by decorily
Well I just learned something new.... didn't know you can apply parking brake -presumably by pressing on foot pedal.
But you can't The parking brake is an electronic button. In fact if you switch off the engine and open the door it gets applied automatically.

What you can do is apply the HOLD function with your foot brake, no need to switch to neutral, it is absolutely fine to roll up to a red light, come to a hold and apply the HOLD function whilst leaving it in drive. Just touch and go
Old 01-25-2017, 06:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 183 Likes on 150 Posts
GLC 300d 4matic
But you can't The parking brake is an electronic button. In fact if you switch off the engine and open the door it gets applied automatically.

What you can do is apply the HOLD function with your foot brake, no need to switch to neutral, it is absolutely fine to roll up to a red light, come to a hold and apply the HOLD function whilst leaving it in drive. Just touch and go
So I didn't learn something new!
Yes I know about the hold and opening the door but presumed by previous post that hard pressing pedal in neutral also engaged park brake.
Old 01-25-2017, 10:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes AMG GLC 43
It just did it going up my somewhat steep driveway. I'll report back here once I get this checked out next week. I'm also going to have them check out an issue with my breaks getting stuck at red lights. Almost feels like the parking brake is activating in Drive. This car does not like red lights.
Ok, I'll report back what I hear as well. Hopefully we'll get this figured out! Also, I'm sorry about your brake issue .
The following users liked this post:
Gracie916 (02-03-2017)
Old 01-25-2017, 10:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
211-55
My parking brakes do not auto-activate, although it's done this a few times in Park, it's not consistent. I park uphill on our driveway so I still do the old school place car in neutral before applying parking brake routine. It relieves the strain on the transmission.

The "stuck brake" issue was indeed the HOLD function! I'm not heavy footed, but the function apparently turns on at red lights if I apply just a tad too much brake pedal pressure during complete stop. Good call dejongj. Glad I'll just be showing the service center the hesitation/jerking issue now.
dejongj (01-26-2017)
Old 01-25-2017, 10:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

211-55
Originally Posted by MercedesRat
Ok, I'll report back what I hear as well. Hopefully we'll get this figured out! Also, I'm sorry about your brake issue .
Thanks MercedesRat. Fingers crossed that they don't just give the old "nature of the beast" explanation to us. BMW and MB love using that one.
Old 01-26-2017, 03:31 PM

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
2013 E550 Sedan
My first M-B was a 94 E320. I was told by my local tire company that the E320 had a "distributor less" ignition system, when they did an annual safety/emissions control inspection done. Unless times have changed I don't think that M-B has gone back to a points, or electronic ignition system using a distributor cap.
Old 02-03-2017, 06:49 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
GLC43
Same experience Jerking issue on GLC 43

First of all, thank you to everyone on this forum for helping me decide to buy my glc 43 last month! I've been reading this forum everyday and I love my new car (except for this one issue ).

It doesn't happen every time but occasionally when I am slowing down for a red light and the light goes green before I stop and I try to accelerate my glc 43 starts jerking until I take my foot off the gas for a few seconds. This is more likely to happen if I have the car in sport or sport + however it has happened even in comfort (I never put it in eco!).

I never had this issue on my glk 350 and my partner doesn't have it on her GLC 300. Does anyone know what this might be? I plan to take it in to Mercedes and ask but I'd rather not go in completely ignorant. Thank you!!!
I have experienced this we well with my GLC 43, a total of 3 times in the last two weeks in Sport+ mode and so far not in any other modes. I just past the 1,500 mile mark as well. It is scary and embarrassing when it happens, and I thought that maybe I am just not experienced driving in such an aggressive mode? However, it makes no sense. So far, I noticed that it happens when I am driving in a slower speed limit zone and need to come to a stop. I typically do not drive in Sports+ often, unless I have room to zoom off, but I do not understand why it would jerk that forcefully period.
Old 02-03-2017, 08:03 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Honda Pilot
Almost sounds like a fuel cut off
Old 02-04-2017, 12:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

211-55
The car went in for a diagnosis and I was told this is due to the adaptive transmission. They said to drive it for 2000 miles and see if it still happens. I am not buying that. I've never heard of any Benz needing 2000 miles to adapt to driving habits, and even if that were true, why is the default mode violent and dangerous? I'll still let her break in and see if anything changes, but this is not good. It's supposed to be an AMG.
Old 02-08-2017, 01:23 PM

GLC43 & C300
I bought my car in mid December. I've been driving it quite a bit. Picked it up with around 15 miles, and now have nearly 3k on it. Yesterday, for the first time ever, my car did this. I do usually drive in S+, since I think the car feels too sluggish in any mode. This was the first time it did this, and it was jarring. My first thought was something with the transmission, but I'm not sure. I'll be out later today, if it does it again, I'll take it to the dealer.

I don't think this is normal at all.

-John
Old 02-10-2017, 01:16 AM
V70

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Volvo V70
A faulty turbo control valve in my wife's Volvo C30 acted like you are describing...
Old 02-10-2017, 01:30 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
MB GLC
It is the torque converter of transmission. My Wife's GLK also has it.

I thought it is typical for all Merc.
Old 02-11-2017, 03:35 AM

right to be forgotten
The car went in for a diagnosis and I was told this is due to the adaptive transmission. They said to drive it for 2000 miles and see if it still happens. I am not buying that. I've never heard of any Benz needing 2000 miles to adapt to driving habits, and even if that were true, why is the default mode violent and dangerous? I'll still let her break in and see if anything changes, but this is not good. It's supposed to be an AMG.
I'm not buying that either. Then again I have done nearly 4.5K miles, perhaps there is something in it. But logically it makes no sense to me.

Did they go out in a test drive with you? Also note there is another post here with someone requiring a new gearbox, may want to check that out.
cahiil55k (02-12-2017)
Old 02-11-2017, 07:01 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Mine was doing this, and sometimes would put itself into park which was very dangerous. Then I'd have this acceleration stall as if the fuel was being cut.

Long story short Im getting a new Transmission installed by dealer after sending a transmission oil sample to MB. I bought the car Dec 19th and it's been in the shop for 3 weeks going on 4.
dejongj (02-11-2017)
Old 02-12-2017, 07:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

211-55
I'm not buying that either. Then again I have done nearly 4.5K miles, perhaps there is something in it. But logically it makes no sense to me.
Did they go out in a test drive with you? Also note there is another post here with someone requiring a new gearbox, may want to check that out.
They didn't. They said they hooked it up to their computer and could not find any codes or other indicators anything is wrong so they assumed it was just the adaptations not fully setting. I'll look at the transmission thread, thanks for bringing that up. If the dealer weren't so far away, I'd be in there bugging them everyday but for now, time to drive back and forth is non-existent for me. I'll let someone else's GLC be the guinea pig for now (and thank them immensely for that)...guessing this is what my dealer is doing too.

Last edited by cahiil55k; 02-12-2017 at 07:44 PM.
Old 02-13-2017, 01:03 AM

right to be forgotten
Wow so all they did was look at fault codes. I would have thought that if they had it hooked up they can see whether the adaption is complete or not. Sounds like a wasted journey. Sorry to hear that.
Old 02-13-2017, 11:48 AM

GLC300
First of all, thank you to everyone on this forum for helping me decide to buy my glc 43 last month! I've been reading this forum everyday and I love my new car (except for this one issue ).

It doesn't happen every time but occasionally when I am slowing down for a red light and the light goes green before I stop and I try to accelerate my glc 43 starts jerking until I take my foot off the gas for a few seconds. This is more likely to happen if I have the car in sport or sport + however it has happened even in comfort (I never put it in eco!).

I never had this issue on my glk 350 and my partner doesn't have it on her GLC 300. Does anyone know what this might be? I plan to take it in to Mercedes and ask but I'd rather not go in completely ignorant. Thank you!!!
I did have this issue on my GLC300 in Sport+ mode only. As I am approaching a stop sign, it seems like the transmission is having trouble downshifting and there is a jerking and shuddering sensation, then it abruptly stops. It only happened twice about 3 weeks ago and it was the first time I used Sport+. It has not happened since.

Last edited by glj86; 02-13-2017 at 11:52 AM.
Old 02-22-2017, 10:06 PM
l3m

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
2017 C43 Coupe
Some of the C43 owners (W205) are also experiencing this problem.

https://mbworld.org/forums/c43-amg-c...ack-forth.html

I mentioned this problem in the AMG Private Lounge Community Forum and they asked that I contact my MB dealership and request them to open a service case (so-called "TIPS"). This will notify MB/AMG so can they can further investigate the issue.

Any 43 owner who has experienced this problem should have their local dealership open a TIPS service case.
Old 05-15-2017, 04:49 PM

2019 G63
I'm having the same issue. Picked up my GLC43 about two weeks ago and this happened on the very first turn out of the dealership (was in Sport+). I didn't think much of it at the time but now it has been happening on a regular basis when driving in Sport+, albeit, not every single time. I'm taking it in later this week to try to replicate the issue with a tech in the car but was wondering if anyone got this fixed or know what the potential problem might be.

By the way, I owned a GLA45 and, at one point, a Macan Turbo. I'm used to driving in sport+. This is definitely not a "characteristic" of the car. When it happens it's downright dangerous as the car will violently jerk/buck (not to be mistaken with a hard shift) and has, on more than one occasion, forced to me to switch from sport+ to comfort just to get the car to accelerate properly.

Last edited by darkh0rse; 05-15-2017 at 04:59 PM.
Old 05-27-2017, 02:27 PM

2019 G63
Figured I'd give an update on this.

I brought the car in and drove it with the tech in the car. Was able to replicate the severe jerking/jolting/bucking within 5 minutes. Tech agreed that it's not normal immediately. They did an update of some sort that they thought might fix it. I got the car back. Next day I started having the same problem. It's been a week and I've been able to replicate the issue several times in Sport+. I want to say it's happening less as of this update but that might be me compensating for the onset of the bucking.

Either way... looks like it's going to have to go back in. Super choked. Not only does it make the most fun part of the car unreliable but also dangerous. Confidence in an easy solution is now zero.
Old 06-06-2017, 06:16 PM

2019 G63
Originally Posted by AverageGuy
I bought my car in mid December. I've been driving it quite a bit. Picked it up with around 15 miles, and now have nearly 3k on it. Yesterday, for the first time ever, my car did this. I do usually drive in S+, since I think the car feels too sluggish in any mode. This was the first time it did this, and it was jarring. My first thought was something with the transmission, but I'm not sure. I'll be out later today, if it does it again, I'll take it to the dealer.

I don't think this is normal at all.

-John
Hi John, did you ever take your car in?
Old 06-06-2017, 07:16 PM

GLC43 & C300
Originally Posted by darkh0rse
Hi John, did you ever take your car in?
I did not. It hasn't done it for a long time, so I've simply forgotten about it. It is warmer out now, maybe it was the weather?

Either way, I beat up on it pretty good, and it has taken it like a champ. No issues. I guess when it gets colder, I'll see if symptoms return.

-John
Old 06-06-2017, 07:17 PM

GLC43 & C300
I should add that I now have just over 7,800 miles on it.
Old 06-23-2017, 01:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

211-55
Just wanted to update this. I'm at almost 5K miles now and the GLC43 still does the scary hesitating/hopping thing and it seems to do it most when there's traffic coming at me fast while I'm trying to make a left turn. Anyway, I'm moving to a place 2 miles from the Benz dealership and will proceed to give them he11 for being such bullshidders.
Old 06-25-2017, 10:40 PM

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
AMG GLC 43, GLC Coupe 300 2020
Hi
My experience is that if you want to use Sport + you need to be in a situation where you are going to nail the throttle and it will work a dream. If your in traffic or situations where your on and off the throttle your going to get this jerk as descried.

Comfort and sport should not have this issue, if that is the case I would be taking it to the dealer.
If it is only sport +.... remember this is setting the car up to go full performance and handle Accordingly.

If you use sport + in the right manner you can avoid this jerky throttle response.

I know your all thinking "but it should not be that way" and I tend to agree.
But it is a personality of Sport + "Go hard or go home"

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GLC 43 Jerking when accelerating after near stop.