GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

GLC 43 Review

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-28-2017, 10:41 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
GLC43
GLC 43 Review

There are not too many GLC 43 reviews out there... For those that are interested:

It's mentioned in the review that the suspension is a little bit on the stiff side even when in comfort mode. Are there any 43 owners out there that can confirm? I'd have thought the air suspension would be supple in comfort mode.. I cant recall it being harsh during my test drive. Certainly not as harsh as my current A250..
Old 01-29-2017, 05:51 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
GLC43 AMG
I'm quite surprised with the comfort of the suspension being an AMG. Obviously it is stiffer, but what do you expect :P
The following users liked this post:
tiger_x (01-29-2017)
Old 01-29-2017, 07:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 301 Likes on 190 Posts
GLC 450
Good review apart from the rambling about the air suspension.
Old 01-29-2017, 07:55 AM

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts
2017 Mercedes-AMG GLC43
I wrote a review on here a couple of months ago about the GLC43 and came to the same conclusion regarding the suspension. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one.

It's not "harsh" but when someone puts "air suspension" and "comfort mode" in the same sentence I would expect "supple" and I didn't get that.

Since I wrote that review, I spent another hour with the GLC43 (and even placed an order) and I can't say my opinion has changed. I also noticed that the suspension doesn't get that much stiffer even in Sport (or Sport+) so there doesn't appear to be a lot of "range".

Originally Posted by tiger_x
I cant recall it being harsh during my test drive. Certainly not as harsh as my current A250..
What size wheels did your tester have? That review you posted (and the car I test drove) both had 20" inch wheels.
tiger_x (01-29-2017)
Old 01-29-2017, 08:03 AM

GLC43
The test vehicle had 21's on it, and they were non run flats.. It seemed to iron out most of the bumps, but like you say, it wasnt magic carpet driving... i expected it to be on clouds in comfort mode..
Old 01-29-2017, 04:43 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
MB GLC43 AMG
I currently own a 250d with air suspension. I have the AMG exterior package and the 19" AMG wheels non run flat. There is a noticeable difference between comfort and sport/sport+. So much that I have my Individual setting with the exact same setting as sport with the exception of the suspension, which I programmed in comfort. This I use in highway. I want the lively engine with the comfort ride.

I also have just ordered a 43 AMG with the 19" wheels. I think these are a good compromise between performance and comfort.

I learned a few years ago with a GLK I owned the big difference between the 20" wheels I had for summer tyres and the 18" wheels I had for winter tyres. The 18" ride very comfortable (driving through offroad tracks like a breeze) while the 20" would corner incredible (but you would notice every single thing you drove over).

​​​​​​

Last edited by Daniel BG; 01-30-2017 at 12:34 PM.
Old 01-29-2017, 08:33 PM

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
AMG GLC 43, GLC Coupe 300 2020
Hi Guys,

Anybody thinking of buying a RHD GLC I would think twice until MB get their act together on the Crabbing & tire Judder issues.
It spoils an almost perfect car.
dejongj (01-30-2017)
Old 01-30-2017, 01:39 AM

GLC43
I wonder how wide spread this crabbing issue is? Or if its just a few cars that are affected... The GLC43 i test drove didnt appear to be affected. I did some full lock turns ( both left and right ) in a carpark and it didnt exhibit any juddering or crabbing..

I was just about to hit the go button on ordering one.. What a quandary..
Old 01-30-2017, 10:43 AM

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts
2017 Mercedes-AMG GLC43
Originally Posted by Daniel BG
I currently own a 250d with air suspension. I have the AMG exterior package and the 19" AMG wheels non run flat. There is a noticeable difference between comfort and sport/sport+. So much that I have my Individual setting with the exact same setting as sport with the exception of the suspension, which I programmed in comfort. This I use in highway. I want the lively engine with the comfort ride.
​​​​​​
I've read from 2 or 3 different reviews that the air suspension on the non-AMG GLC is softer than the one found on the GLC43. Also, Mercedes own marketing materials claim that the air suspension found on on the GLC43 is "AMG tuned".
Old 01-30-2017, 03:24 PM

Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts
right to be forgotten
My previous car was the GL with air suspension, I don't find my GLC43 AMG in comfort any less comfortable. If anything more controlled (but I'd expect that with the AMG tune and a much lighter vehicle). And mine is on 21" AMG wheels.

is it magic carpet ride, no, but you wouldn't buy an AMG for magic carpet right that just doesn't computer in expectations with me. But no worse, actually slightly better than my GL with air suspension I would say.

On my roads I notice a rather remarkable difference between comfort and sport+. Especially the road little up to our will, you get shaken about in sport+ unless going at a decent (illegal!?) speed so I've been told. Yet very smooth in comfort mode.
Old 01-30-2017, 04:32 PM

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
AMG GLC 43, GLC Coupe 300 2020
HI Tiger X
Crabbing Issue
It depends on outside air temp the colder it is the worst it is also seems to be. It effects RHD cars more and it seems the more Miles /KM you have done the more it is likely to happen.

I'm sure you may have read the list of comments on the forums and videos users have put up.

Yes it is a great car and apart from this issue is hard to fault, but MB need to man up and address the issue.

My GLC 43 is now 4 weeks old with about 950km on it. Never noticed at first but felt signs for the first time about two days ago.
The tires also show signs of graining across the tread face of the left hand tire.
Old 01-30-2017, 10:42 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
GLC43
Nice to see that the tester found the GLC43 faster than the Macan GTS (around 23 minute mark in the video).....I looked at the GTS along with the Q5 but for the money the GLC43 offered similar performance and I wasn't impressed with all the console switches on the Macan.