GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

Cannot Activate Collision Prevention Assist Plus

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-13-2017, 10:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Infiniti EX 35
Cannot Activate Collision Prevention Assist Plus

I have never been able to activate Collision Prevention Assist Plus (CPA+) on my 2016 4Matic GLC. CPA+ is supposed to be a standard safety/security feature but when I attempt to activate Collision Prevention Assist Plus, Collision Prevention does not appear as an option under the DriveAssist submenu. PRE-SAFE Brake, Blind Spot Assist, ATTENTION ASSIST, and Lane Keeping Assist are listed under the DriveAssist submenu but not Collision Prevention. The dealer claims this is because I have 997 Driver Assistance Package but this sounds bizarre to have me spend extra for the Driver Assistance Package and then not have CPA+. Is anyone with the Driver Assistance Package able to activate CPA+?
Thank you!
Old 02-13-2017, 11:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 159 Likes on 150 Posts
2016 GLC300 Dakota Brown on Espresso Brown Leather, 2014 C250 Sport Diamond Silver
My understanding is your car has CPA + . Mine also has drive assist pack. I will check settings on it.
The following users liked this post:
Allanf6 (02-14-2017)
Old 02-13-2017, 11:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
If you have Driver's Assistance - then you don't have CPA+
Old 02-14-2017, 12:15 AM

Infiniti EX 35
If that is true, then why does the window sticker on my car say that my car does have COLLISION PREVENTION ASSIST PLUS under SAFETY/SECURITY?
Old 02-14-2017, 12:24 AM

Infiniti EX 35
My window sticker below states that my car has COLLISION PREVENTION ASSIST PLUS and 997 Driver Assistance Package.

This is the window sticker of my car
Old 02-14-2017, 11:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 GLC300 Dakota Brown on Espresso Brown Leather, 2014 C250 Sport Diamond Silver
Read your owners manual or download the MB guide app to your phone. Both explain how CPA + is integrated into the drive assist package.
Old 02-14-2017, 11:38 AM

Infiniti EX 35
I have read both the owners manual and the Guide many times. Does either say that CPA+ cannot be activated if your car is equipped with the Driver Assistance Package? If so, can you tell me on what page(s) this is stated? Thanks!
Old 02-14-2017, 01:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Pg 70 pg 252
Old 02-14-2017, 04:17 PM

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
2019 MB C300 4Matic (me); 2021 BMW 530i xDrive (husband)
OK....this topic was very interesting, because Collision Prevention Assist Plus is a standard feature, and I also ordered my GLC with 997 Driver Assitance Package.

I have never once gotten any alert nor any emergency braking for any imminent collision, though I have tried to fake one VERY CAREFULLY different times to see if my car responds...nothing.

When I had one of my services done, I asked about this and the SA said that usually people complain that the CPAP is too sensitive and it annoys them and they haven't heard someone complain that it never activates ---they said maybe I am just a very good driver.

So after checking out Jeff's (dieseldoc) replies, I checked the GLC Owners Manual and sure enough it says it's automatically activated at ignition and gives instructions how to deactivate it and what that will look like.

So I went to my car and went to the Settings and Drivers Assitance services, and sure enough....Collision (or Collision Prevention) is not listed. I could not find any way to deactivate it (and I would not want to, anyway) but this makes me wonder if it's even actually installed in my car.

Looks like I have another reason to visit my friendly neighbourhood MB service dept to have it checked out.

Last edited by GSOTXL; 02-14-2017 at 04:19 PM.
Old 02-14-2017, 05:36 PM

Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts
2021 GLE 450, 2017 GLC 300 4Matic, 2008 FJ Cruiser
Have a 17 GLC 300 4matic with driver assistance package and also let my car get very close to the car in front of me on a red light and nothing happened. I pressed on the brakes the last second thought maybe belt would tighten up or something and nothing. Have to look into this a little deeper and see do we have collision prevention or not. Checked my display looking at the settings and there's no mention about it to activate or deactivate.
Another thing pulling out from a parking space a lady was right behind my car walking to her car and mine didn't do anything. No warning beep or something to let me know somebody is behind me. Caught her crossing my car last second from the rear camera. Anybody have any info about that?
Old 02-14-2017, 06:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I have had my car for almost a year. I will go into the menu and see if the turn off/on function is present for cpa +
Old 02-14-2017, 07:30 PM

Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts
2021 GLE 450, 2017 GLC 300 4Matic, 2008 FJ Cruiser
Fabbrisd1 said last night we don't have it. Maybe he can give us some more info in what he knows.
Old 02-14-2017, 07:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 764 Posts
2003 CL 600
You have to understand how to trigger it, at a light it wont unless you really fly up behind a parked car and don't touch the brakes. Remember, it has many conditions you have to trigger to show an alarm. The collision prevention system is always on, you don't have to activate it. The Plus part means it's got other features along with basic CPA.

I have found, when I need to verify it, the best way is a last minute lane change on the highway. Doing 20+mph more than the car in your lane, and with the next lane over clear, come very close behind them while still on the gas (if you're touching the brakes it assumes you're already seeing the obstacle and doesn't show the warning), and change lanes at the last second. It triggers for me almost every time like that.

You have to intentionally drive like a jackass to make it go off, it's designed to prevent an inattentive driver from crashing, not as a constant warning.
The following 2 users liked this post by ItalianJoe1:
dieseldoc (02-14-2017), MercedesTheBest (02-15-2017)
Old 02-14-2017, 08:11 PM

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
2023 (X254) GLC300 RWD White
Haven't taken delivery of my GLC300 yet but there any number of YouTube videos on CPA. You can do a search, this is just one.
For safety sake you could find an empty parking lot, set up a few "cones" and see what happens.
Old 02-14-2017, 08:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A gaggle of MB's
Repeat... if you have Driver's Assistance to my knowledge you DO NOT have Collision Prevention Assist Plus...
Old 02-14-2017, 09:00 PM

Infiniti EX 35
Per the window sticker of my car shown above, my GLC 300 does have CPA+ and 997 Driver Assistance Package.
Old 02-14-2017, 09:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mine says it too. Brochure for 2017 says it is standard on all GLCs. Same was true for 2016. I need to find out how it is integrated into cars with drivers assist package.
Old 02-14-2017, 10:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Did some research, cars with drivers assist package, CPA + features are integrated into pre safe brake and BAS plus.
Old 02-14-2017, 11:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A gaggle of MB's
Repeat - when you have Driver's Assistance - you DON'T have Collision Prevention Assistance + ... do NOT drive towards a wall at 35mph and expect auto emergency braking... do NOT expect pre-pre-colllision alert... etc.. Yes, Pre-Safe Brake and updated BAS + are shared by both systems..
Old 02-15-2017, 12:52 AM

Infiniti EX 35
If cars with 997 Drivers Assistance Package do not have CPA+, why is CPA+ listed on the window sticker of my car? Also, page 75 and 76 of the manual states: PRE-SAFE Brake can help you to minimize the risk of a collision with a vehicle ahead or a pedestrian, and reduce the effects of such a collision. If PRE-SAFE Brake has detected a risk of collision, you will be warned visually and acoustically as well as by automatic braking.
This wording is very similar to what is stated on pages 70 and 71 of the manual: COLLISION PREVENTION ASSIST PLUS can help you to minimize the risk of a front-end collision with a vehicle ahead or reduce the effects of such a collision. If COLLISION PREVENTION ASSIST PLUS detects that there is a risk of a collision, you will be armed visually and acoustically. If you do not react to the visual and audible collision warning, autonomous braking can be initiated in critical situations.
Still, after seven months and about 7,000 miles, I have not received even one visual or acoustic warning.
Old 02-15-2017, 02:27 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
SL500, GLC300
Originally Posted by ItalianJoe1
You have to understand how to trigger it, at a light it wont unless you really fly up behind a parked car and don't touch the brakes. Remember, it has many conditions you have to trigger to show an alarm. The collision prevention system is always on, you don't have to activate it. The Plus part means it's got other features along with basic CPA.

I have found, when I need to verify it, the best way is a last minute lane change on the highway. Doing 20+mph more than the car in your lane, and with the next lane over clear, come very close behind them while still on the gas (if you're touching the brakes it assumes you're already seeing the obstacle and doesn't show the warning), and change lanes at the last second. It triggers for me almost every time like that.

You have to intentionally drive like a jackass to make it go off, it's designed to prevent an inattentive driver from crashing, not as a constant warning.
Originally Posted by Allanf6
If cars with 997 Drivers Assistance Package do not have CPA+, why is CPA+ listed on the window sticker of my car? Also, page 75 and 76 of the manual states: PRE-SAFE Brake can help you to minimize the risk of a collision with a vehicle ahead or a pedestrian, and reduce the effects of such a collision. If PRE-SAFE Brake has detected a risk of collision, you will be warned visually and acoustically as well as by automatic braking.
This wording is very similar to what is stated on pages 70 and 71 of the manual: COLLISION PREVENTION ASSIST PLUS can help you to minimize the risk of a front-end collision with a vehicle ahead or reduce the effects of such a collision. If COLLISION PREVENTION ASSIST PLUS detects that there is a risk of a collision, you will be armed visually and acoustically. If you do not react to the visual and audible collision warning, autonomous braking can be initiated in critical situations.
Still, after seven months and about 7,000 miles, I have not received even one visual or acoustic warning.
i have a 2016 GLC 300 4MATIC with Intelligent Drive Package. it has distronic, active steering assist, active lane keeping assist, active blind spot assist and all that stuff. i assume this is the same things your 997 option has. mine is IDP, not a #. am i right? (Canadian Model)

i have CPA+ on my car, it has activated before. just like stated above by ItalianJoe1, that is a good way to get it to activate. i had someone turn left in front of me on a freeway/road and i knew he would move away so i didn't bother slowing down, but the car flashed a red triangle, beeped, and also applied the brakes on that.
Old 02-15-2017, 08:00 AM

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
2017 Mercedes-Benz C300, 2017 Mercedes-Benz GLC300
Reading the posts above I'm getting worried! I have placed a factory order for a 2017 GLC300 (for my better half) with delivery in May SPECIFICALLY for collision prevention! Otherwise I wouldn't buy a new car.

Now, I already own a 2017 C300 with Intelligent Drive Package (Canadian model) and collision prevention does kick in. As ItalianJoe1 mentioned in post #13 and MercedesTheBest before me, it beeps when doing a last minute lane change (closing in fast on the car in front). Other times I pushed the system (and my luck) just to test it and it worked every time. Flawlessly! I could also feel the seatbelt tensioner and the car applying lots of braking power when I just slighly touched the brake pedal in the last second before impact. Some will say I'm crazy, but I want to know what the car is capable of and no dealer will demo these features for you, not even with balloon cars or dummies. Nowhere. Never. Period.

IT IS MY SAFETY AND I PAID FOR IT! I will not just take their word for it!
I'm not urging anyone to do crazy things! If you want to test yours make sure you do it in a safe environment/setting.

Back to the topic: the dealer told me that collision prevention was standard on all their cars (at least the 2017 Canadian models). I don't care if it doesn't show in the menu, neither if it can't be deactivated. I would never deactivate it anyway. I just want it to work! I am purchasing this car (the GLC300) for this very specific feature!
​​​​​​​I will do the same tests as above when my GLC300 is shipped and CPA+ had better work on it!
Old 02-15-2017, 10:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 301 Likes on 190 Posts
GLC 450
No dealer of any manufacturer will demonstrate it, had the same issue on Land rover forums.
Old 02-15-2017, 11:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by MercedesTheBest
i have a 2016 GLC 300 4MATIC with Intelligent Drive Package. it has distronic, active steering assist, active lane keeping assist, active blind spot assist and all that stuff. i assume this is the same things your 997 option has. mine is IDP, not a #. am i right? (Canadian Model)

i have CPA+ on my car, it has activated before. just like stated above by ItalianJoe1, that is a good way to get it to activate. i had someone turn left in front of me on a freeway/road and i knew he would move away so i didn't bother slowing down, but the car flashed a red triangle, beeped, and also applied the brakes on that.
Please check your setup in your instrument cluster and see if CPA + is present. Thanks Jeff
Old 02-15-2017, 11:48 AM

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
2019 MB C300 4Matic (me); 2021 BMW 530i xDrive (husband)
Collision Prevention (or CPA+) is not in my Drivers Assistance settings options in the instrument cluster, BUT PRE-SAFE Brake is. Also, using the car settings button> Operators Manual, there are Animations to watch on the display screen. One of them is for PRE-SAFE Brake, and it basically shows all that I would expect from CPA+ (and maybe then some).

I drove my local dealer to confirm....a SA referred me to a sales associate who gave not super clear info but BOTH talked about their experiences in testing the function at a corporate demo, driving into large balloon items and bales of hay. And both told me that it's not easy to invoke the system because most of the time, natural defensive driving will do something that will "assure" the drivers assistance systems that you are in control.

So I am thinking that all this confusion is maybe just misleading/bad print on the window stickers and unclear and even incomplete notes in the operators manual. It would be very simple if they clearly said that if you have Drivers Assistance package in US, then CPA+ is integrated into other systems and you won't see Collision Prevention in the Settings> Drivers Assistance options but you WILL see PRE-SAFE Brake.

And I know that this was attempted to be clarified in these topics before, but the incorrect content in MBUSA's window sticker and operator's manual does make it quite possible to misunderstand what features you actually have if you got the DA package.

I know, I know.....We were told, it was explained to us. But never-the-less, we persisted.
Couldn't resist that one.
At least, though, I am not so worried that my $54K car is missing a key safety feature for which I bought the car in the first place anymore. But still waiting for the beep-beep-beep, and the seatbelts tensioning, and emergency braking to engage...

Last edited by GSOTXL; 02-15-2017 at 11:50 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.