GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

Australia / Aussie GLC Owners - Issues and Problems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-03-2018, 06:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2018 GLC 350d
Diesel/Turbo Lag + other items

Hi, had GLC 350d for few months, we had a blurry heads up which was resolved with new windscreen. Haven’t encountered the turning judder others mention. Most recently have found increasing diesel / turbo lag, has anyone else encountered this?
Old 10-23-2018, 12:43 AM

GLC 43 AMG
SHUDDERING ISSUES

YEAH RIGHT IT ONLY HAPPENS IN COLD WEATHER
my Glc 43 AMG has been doing it since I purchased it and only getting worse
4 th set of front tyres in just over a year
it shudders that hard that the tyres have dislodged all the stone out of the bitumen around my front driveway
currently in talks with my solicitor as both Mercedes Benz Australia and the dealer are playing games
My wife hates driving the car
Shear driving pleasure my ***
u know what’s funny , a few people I know purchased the car after me and were made to sign a stat dec saying they are aware of the issues and accept them
Guess what I didn’t

Currently waiting to bring the car in again and have the brakes removed to be cleaned. Service is currently refusing to do brake and rotor warranty replacement stating that even if they do this, the squeals will still occur.

Hope to hear from Aussie owners if they face any of above or other issues.[/QUOTE]
Old 10-23-2018, 06:34 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
GLC, Q7
I doubt there would be any redress as MBA would claim the vehicle is ' fit for purpose' and what you and I call faults, would be classified as characteristics of the vehicle. They would also use as defence the huge customer acceptance ( i.e. sale numbers) and apparent good resale values @ 61% in Australia. Moreover, what would be the damage claim? I think the most likely avenue for a plaintiff would be misrepresentation by a sales representative. For instance claiming there is no issue about tyre jumping, etc. This may be the reason for MB dealers insisting upon a waiver to be signed. However, a solicitor's letter may motivate the defendant to positive action to avoid brand reputation damage, but that's about it. Your chances would greatly improve if you can arrange what appears to be letter representing a possible small class action.

Last edited by Ian of Sydney; 11-20-2018 at 02:29 PM.
Old 11-04-2018, 11:28 PM

GLC 43 AMG
I would like to give all of you an update on my vehicle since I raised this issue to MB early this year. At the end of July, my complaint finally had been answered after negotiating with them back and forth. They decided to replace both my front types to CS Star 255/40 R 21 Y XL (see attached). The juddering feeling seemed to be remediated after the replacement for the first week. However, after driving a lot recently, I realised that this issue is still existing and very noticeable under the cool weather condition and also on the raining day. I had a chance to speak with one of the sales who was from MB dealership, he said the GLC 43 was the only model which had this problem. But MB will not admit this fault instead of using whatever to describe it is normal. The truth is they all know this problem before selling. I do not know how many 2018 buyer will still encounter with this problem. Just being careful when you really want to buy this vehicle on this model, you will be asked to sign on acknowledge letters regarding the 4Matic system which is something they use to cover this problem and protect themselves. Testing drive is really essential but it is impossible to be aware of this problem at the first time. As some others who mentioned before about brake squealing and window wipe judder, I also noticed that but not as much as this very uncomfortable tyre crabbing. GLC 43 might not be the real “AMG” version but at least MB should improve this and the reaction to the buyer. I guess they do not care. I am a fan of MB and like what they did for the vehicle, but this time is really really disappointing.
Old 11-05-2018, 07:49 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
GLC43
Hard to tell from that photo if they are ContiSeal Star tyres?.. Mine were replaced 3000km's ago with ContiSeal Star. I know its early days, but i havent experienced any crabbing since they were replaced. They are definitely wearing better, no more grating marks on the outside tread.
Old 11-06-2018, 05:36 AM

GLC 43 AMG
My photo is not quite clear but it is CS Star.
Old 11-06-2018, 07:21 PM

Glc43
Originally Posted by Ian of Sydney
As a solicitor I doubt there would be any redress as MBA would claim the vehicle is ' fit for purpose' and what you and I call faults, would be classified as characteristics of the vehicle. They would also use as defence the huge customer acceptance ( i.e. sale numbers) and apparent good resale values @ 61% in Australia. Moreover, what would be the damage claim? I think the most likely avenue for a plaintiff would be misrepresentation by a sales representative. For instance claiming there is no issue about tyre jumping, etc. This may be the reason for MB dealers insisting upon a waiver to be signed. However, a solicitor's letter may motivate the defendant to positive action to avoid brand reputation damage, but that's about it. Your chances would greatly improve if you can arrange what appears to be letter representing a possible small class action.

I have had legal advice to the contrary. The test would be "would knowledge of the issue affect a reasonable person's decision to purchase". By getting new customers to sign a waiver, dealers are admitting there is an issue that customers should be aware of. It should be reasonably straightforward to have the contract recinded.

as a purchaser, your issue is with the dealer who sold the car to you and not MB. The dealer is the counter party to the contract.

I am in the process of trying to sort out a remedy. If it is not satisfactory, I plan to litigate.
Old 11-10-2018, 02:12 AM

GLC, Q7
Originally Posted by Bcnr33v
I have had legal advice to the contrary. The test would be "would knowledge of the issue affect a reasonable person's decision to purchase". By getting new customers to sign a waiver, dealers are admitting there is an issue that customers should be aware of. It should be reasonably straightforward to have the contract recinded.

as a purchaser, your issue is with the dealer who sold the car to you and not MB. The dealer is the counter party to the contract.

I am in the process of trying to sort out a remedy. If it is not satisfactory, I plan to litigate.

If your solicitor is so confident ask for a no win/ no fee agreement, as legal costs for a full course litigation to an Australian court would probably run to a lot more than your car is worth. If you have to fund the costs, what is the likelihood of not winning and can you afford the loss ( including the defendants legal coat)?
I see your frustration. A second best option is to sell the car as resale values are still very good and put your legal cost budget towards an upgraded new car. Anyway, wishing you the best.

Old 11-10-2018, 04:33 AM

Glc43
A no win no fee would never make sense for a case like this given the damages are relatively small (not like a personal injury claim). The car is worth $80-90k, I would be very surprised if the legal fees ran anywhere near that.

This would be a local court case.

I have litigated much more complex building disputes with numerous experts involved, so I have a good idea of the costs.

I already have experts lined up who will testify this is a fault with the car. I highly doubt it would ever come to that given the dealer and MB would be crazy to let it get to court because if they lose, the ramifications would be much worse than my claim given the precedent it would set.
Old 11-12-2018, 04:10 AM

Mercedes amg 43c
Join the fight

A no win no fee would never make sense for a case like this given the damages are relatively small (not like a personal injury claim). The car is worth $80-90k, I would be very surprised if the legal fees ran anywhere near that.

I have litigated much more complex building disputes with numerous experts involved, so I have a good idea of the costs.

I already have experts lined up who will testify this is a fault with the car. I highly doubt it would ever come to that given the dealer and MB would be crazy to let it get to court because if they lose, the ramifications would be much worse than my claim given the precedent it would set.
i have a AMG C43 2017 model and would love to join any action that will get us a positive outcome
The crabbing is embarrassing.
MB are not interested.
Old 11-20-2018, 04:53 AM

GLC200
Hi Guys, just purchased the new GLC 200 in Sydney. Been reading a lot on this crabbing issue. does any one know if this only happens on the 4Matic models. the GLC 200 being a rear wheel drive.
thanks in advance.

Last edited by wazza123; 11-20-2018 at 04:55 AM.
Old 11-20-2018, 05:30 AM

GLC, Q7

What I would do is to first speak to a commercial law barrister prior to committing too much money.

Last edited by Ian of Sydney; 11-20-2018 at 02:27 PM.
Old 11-22-2018, 12:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes AMG
Please sign the petition.

https://www.change.org/p/mercedes-be...des-benz-c-glc
Old 12-09-2018, 06:24 AM

CLA45 AMG 2016

Hi Bcnr33v

I am very keen to join you and take this legal. If a few people got on board the legal cost would be negligible. I just signed the petition Robert Di Carlo shared in this thread.

I purchased my C43 in May 2018. Noticed the tyre skipping one month later (June 18). The tyre juddering got worse and louder since. The edge of my tyres are badly worn out at 3000km. I have also experienced a strange occurrence where the car steered to the left very bad on its own while driving on a straight road. I complaint to the dealer but they said everything is normal. A load of rubbish as you have all experienced I am sure. I strongly believe this is a manufacturing issue. See 3 pics of my front tyres and 1 pic of the back tyre. It is ridiculous for the dealer or MB to say this tyre wear is normal!!

Last edited by raoult11; 12-09-2018 at 06:26 AM. Reason: text was jumbled by the photos
Old 12-12-2018, 12:54 AM

CLA45 AMG 2016
Hi All

Yesterday I posted photos of my front tyres (and one back tyre for comparison) for everyone to see. I was so naďve to think it was only the outer edge that was wearing out until later today when I had the shock of my life when I decided to turn the wheels and take more photos. See attached new photos. Absolutely D

isgraceful.
Old 01-16-2019, 08:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes AMG
Hello everyone,

As some of you may remember, I've been having issues with tyre skipping/crabbing on my GLC43 AMG. After being contacted by several other AMG owners in the club, we have decided to pursue the matter legally against MB as a Class Action.

I have been advised by my solicitor to somehow produce a technical report/data from an expert to show that the tyre skipping/crabbing problem is related to a manufacturing issue with the 4Matic system.
If you haven't already signed the petition, please do so it would be greatly appreciated.

https://www.change.org/p/mercedes-benz-australia-fix-tyre-s…

Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-18-2019, 08:54 PM

GLC250
Hi ROB32R

I'm having the same issues on our 2018 GLC250, happy to join in on class action if it goes ahead.

I have also signed petition.

Keep me posted

Thanks
John
Old 02-19-2019, 10:55 PM

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
AMG GLC 43, GLC Coupe 300 2020
trye crabbing

Hi All,

Having been one of the first to have the front tyre's change to Continental 5 star version at MB cost way back in early 2017. This happened after complaints to MB about wear and crabbing/skip from the factory MO marked tyres . They also performed a front wheel realignment at the same time at no charge.

My experience is that the replacement 5 star tyres reduces the tire skip dramatically to point it nearly is unnoticeable, even in the cooler winter weather in Adelaide. (It does not cure it completely)

Wear seems to be much better than the MO factory fitted tires, but still poor compared to most run of the mill car tires.
I'm still on the original rear tires at 23000km and have just change the front ones that manage 17000km since the above change by MB, which seems pretty good going by what I'm reading in forums.Also performed another front wheel alignment.

The wear shown in photos from raoult11 on the outer edge is coursed by the tire skip/crabbing issue as mine were the same . The center wear seems extreme.

Old 06-03-2019, 05:44 AM

GLC43
Originally Posted by Team

i have a AMG C43 2017 model and would love to join any action that will get us a positive outcome
The crabbing is embarrassing.
MB are not interested.
Me too, I have it on mine as well, very annoying.
Old 06-19-2019, 09:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 152 Likes on 126 Posts
2016 GLC 250d AMG pack, 2017 GLC Coupe 250d AMG pack , 2002 BMW 330Ci convertible, 2021 BMX X1 sD20i
Great News.......

Well it looks like the flood gates have been opened in Oz for the knuckle replacement program to RHD vehicles.

Our 250d, with air suspension finally was approved last week and car was converted.
Limited driving to date, but it seems what we thought it should be like on wet and cold roads doing is actually finally happening.
Our tyres are Goodyear All Season, run flats.

Can posters who have the conversion done please let us know if their tyres are All Season type, or original Summer runflats, by brand.

If a Coupe, were tyres changed or are they original non run flats ? Brand ?

Thanks to everyone for sharing info.
Old 06-19-2019, 07:52 PM

GLC43
Originally Posted by Teckno
Great News.......

Well it looks like the flood gates have been opened in Oz for the knuckle replacement program to RHD vehicles.

Our 250d, with air suspension finally was approved last week and car was converted.
Limited driving to date, but it seems what we thought it should be like on wet and cold roads doing is actually finally happening.
Our tyres are Goodyear All Season, run flats.

Can posters who have the conversion done please let us know if their tyres are All Season type, or original Summer runflats, by brand.

If a Coupe, were tyres changed or are they original non run flats ? Brand ?

Thanks to everyone for sharing info.

Thanks Teckno for the update.

So should I now take this up with my local MB dealer ? Or do you think there might be a recall process about to happen?
Old 06-19-2019, 08:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 GLC 250d AMG pack, 2017 GLC Coupe 250d AMG pack , 2002 BMW 330Ci convertible, 2021 BMX X1 sD20i
Take it up with your dealer.
I do not see this being a recall, “it’s a characteristic”, not a safety problem - as originally spun to all owners by MB.
This will cost them money, so I believe they will only replace knuckles on vehicles where owners complain and they can ‘verify’.
I think you will get great support from your dealer, the new parts are in the Aust parts network, warehouse.
Dealer will need Mulgrave approval to proceed.
I know of up to 8 other owners now who have had this done in the last 10 days - so Mulgrave is well aware and approving requests.
At this stage only GLC up to 20” rims.
No solution yet ? For GLC 43 or GLC 63 variants - If you have a GLC 43, ask dealer, failing that email MB Mulgrave to ask when new knuckles likely to be approved for them, so far UK does not have these either, not sure why, might be tied up with final drive ratios of the 43/63 variants.

Good luck and let us know how you go.

Last edited by Teckno; 06-19-2019 at 08:15 PM. Reason: Extra info
Old 06-20-2019, 01:12 AM

GLC43
Originally Posted by Teckno
Take it up with your dealer.
I do not see this being a recall, “it’s a characteristic”, not a safety problem - as originally spun to all owners by MB.
This will cost them money, so I believe they will only replace knuckles on vehicles where owners complain and they can ‘verify’.
I think you will get great support from your dealer, the new parts are in the Aust parts network, warehouse.
Dealer will need Mulgrave approval to proceed.
I know of up to 8 other owners now who have had this done in the last 10 days - so Mulgrave is well aware and approving requests.
At this stage only GLC up to 20” rims.
No solution yet ? For GLC 43 or GLC 63 variants - If you have a GLC 43, ask dealer, failing that email MB Mulgrave to ask when new knuckles likely to be approved for them, so far UK does not have these either, not sure why, might be tied up with final drive ratios of the 43/63 variants.

Good luck and let us know how you go.
Went to the dealer and they said to increase the PSI to 38 and see how that goes. They seemed very reluctant to other any other options or even take the car for a drive to verify the issue. I mentioned the knuckles and of course they said they have not heard anything. So please excuse my ignorance the email address for MB Mulgrave, who are they and what can they hopefully do for me and if you can provide the email address that would be great. Thanks so much.
Old 06-20-2019, 07:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Happy to try and help.
Firstly have you standard 250 series GLC, or the GLC 43 or 63 series ?
This will make a big difference as to your options.
Old 06-20-2019, 09:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Here is link to MB Mulgrave
https://www.forms.mercedes-benz.com.au/cars/contact-us
Good luck

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.