GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

2017 GLC 300 CarPlay retrofit?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-17-2018, 09:04 AM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
2017 E300 Sport, 2017 GLC300 Sport/Night
Originally Posted by Michael Sabin
Can you clarify about 2017 Model GLC? I have a 2017 GLC that was built in late 2016. It has the Audio 20 system. Can I enable carplay with just the OBD2 adapter, or do I need the full smartbox?

Thanks
I think post #24 above answers your question. According to that post, OBD2 activation is only possible with vehicles produced from September 2017 on (2017.09+).
Old 05-11-2018, 12:56 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
soon-to-be 2018 glc43
I went to the unichip-tec website and gave them my VIN for my 2018 GLC43 with Comand, they emailed me backa few days later and they recommended the smartbox. They indicated I have NTG 5.0, which seems different than what is being indicated for cars after sept 2017. My car was built in Feb 2018. I will need to now rip open my dash to confirm which NTG version i have but it doesn't seem correct for my car based on the information U've been reading.
Old 05-11-2018, 04:32 PM

Received 132 Likes on 107 Posts
GLC43, GTI, X3, Mazda3
Originally Posted by eling23
I went to the unichip-tec website and gave them my VIN for my 2018 GLC43 with Comand, they emailed me backa few days later and they recommended the smartbox. They indicated I have NTG 5.0, which seems different than what is being indicated for cars after sept 2017. My car was built in Feb 2018. I will need to now rip open my dash to confirm which NTG version i have but it doesn't seem correct for my car based on the information U've been reading.
Yeah, I did the same thing on my post Sept 2017 build 2018 GLC43 and got the same answer. You need the smartbox...along with tearing into your dash. I also didn't feel too comfortable with any of their answers, so I wont be doing anything with them and will stick to Comand and no friggin CarPlay or Android Auto.

The ***** of it is, MB offers CP/AA with Comand on the GLA45, but not their SUV in what is probably the most popular segment of the market. Very disappointing as a first time MB owner and their surveys heard about...not that they really care.
Old 05-11-2018, 05:19 PM

soon-to-be 2018 glc43
I'll report back once i take out my dash sometime this week or the next to confirm the head unit model. I'm also trying to confirm whether our glc43 has an amp or not. I have the base A20 system and from the w205 threads I should not have an amp nor a center speaker. Well I found a center speaker after i popped the grill off but there's no sound coming from it, but I did figured out that it's for the instrumentation sounds. The only thing I've seen in the trunk is the sirius unit that has the MOST150 optical cables going to it. So maybe there's a slight change with the amg models vs the glc300.

EDIT* - I got into the dealer/engineering mode and found that the software version I have is from 5/25/2017 or in Euro format "17/25/5". Also the "HW version: 16/32/1" - not sure what that means. I also looked up my vin and it does say APS NTG5/5.5. So yeah build date might not matter for the glc43's.

Last edited by eling23; 05-11-2018 at 09:38 PM.
Old 05-12-2018, 03:22 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
GLC 2018
EDIT* - I got into the dealer/engineering mode and found that the software version I have is from 5/25/2017 or in Euro format "17/25/5". Also the "HW version: 16/32/1" - not sure what that means. I also looked up my vin and it does say APS NTG5/5.5. So yeah build date might not matter for the glc43's.
How do you get into dealer/engineering mode?
Old 05-12-2018, 10:34 AM

soon-to-be 2018 glc43
Originally Posted by Robert418
How do you get into dealer/engineering mode?
See below. It’s from the vehicle setting menu.
Old 05-16-2018, 01:43 PM

soon-to-be 2018 glc43
Originally Posted by ntgcommander
hi for 2018 GLC X253 we have two possible alternatives for you to use CarPlay as OEM level.
1. for cars specification with SA154 we can activate CarPlay via OBD2 plug and play;
2. use our CarPlay smartbox which install backside of the head unit, and use original AUXIN channel for sounds. these days we just enhanced our harness connectors which will be available to delivery 3rd April, hopefully it clarifies, you could also shoot us for any queries at tec@unichip-tec.com
My NTG5 with navigation does not currently have the AUX-IN option when I goto the Media menu. The picture you posted indicates an optional 3.5mm to a USB-AUX dongle. Where is this suppose to plug into? Am I suppose to plug this dongle in one of the USB slots located in the armrest and have the wire run all the way back to the Smartbox? All the install videos I've seen does not address this part and most of the reviews state that there is no audio when it is first installed and needs to be troubleshooted. Can you clarify?

Second question: I see suppliers with a OBD activation for the AUX-IN for NTG5. Wouldn't this be better/easier?

Thanks.
Old 05-17-2018, 08:03 PM

GLC43, GTI, X3, Mazda3
My NTG5 with navigation does not currently have the AUX-IN option when I goto the Media menu. The picture you posted indicates an optional 3.5mm to a USB-AUX dongle. Where is this suppose to plug into? Am I suppose to plug this dongle in one of the USB slots located in the armrest and have the wire run all the way back to the Smartbox? All the install videos I've seen does not address this part and most of the reviews state that there is no audio when it is first installed and needs to be troubleshooted. Can you clarify?

Second question: I see suppliers with a OBD activation for the AUX-IN for NTG5. Wouldn't this be better/easier?

Thanks.
Good luck, hope you get answers from them. I'm wondering if it wouldn't just be easier to find a totaled GLA45 with COMAND with ACP/AA and swap into the GLC somehow. Not sure of the technicalities or cost, but maybe an option...ItalianJoe, any thoughts on that?
Old 06-25-2018, 05:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
None
Hi. I cannot provide all answers, but can give you some info on experience with the OBD activation and SmartBox as mentioned. To get the OBD to work, you need to decode the VIN and make sure the SA154 code is present. If this code is not present, the OBD activator will not work. I have done some SmartBox installations, and although the installation is actually very easy, there are some "downsides". Firstly, the GLC does not have AUX in, so the standard way to get Audio when using Car Play, is by tuning the radio to a preset frequency, and making sure you are on that radio preset before switching to Car Play mode. Secondly, if your phone is connected to Bluetooth, you will find that outgoing calls are 100% when in Car Play mode, but incoming calls will have no audio, because the phone will be connected to "Car Play" and not Bluetooth, so you need to change on the phone from Car Play to Bluetooth. I don't know why outgoing calls work but not incoming calls. To overcome this, we have tried to use the Aux/USB adapters also mentioned previously, but we were unable to get it to work in a GLC with MM package. In order to check that the actual Aux/USB adapter does work, we used the same units in a C-Class (W205) and it worked fine. In theory, the SmartBox has a harness with 3.5mm aux out connector. The Aux/USB adapter has 3.5mm aux in, and once plugged into Media 2 port, it will show Aux/USB on the car's screen, so you should be able to select that as your source when using Car Play. Due to the fact that we could not yet get it to work, we ordered a few different versions from other suppliers, which I will test on the same GLC in the next day or so. The SmartBox does work well and Car Play integrates nicely into the car. The ONLY two issues are the audio and the fact that the SmartBox uses an external microphone for Siri. In the absence of any alternatives, this is actually the only solution for now. Unless MB can update the HU and add the SA154 code. I know on NTG5.1 systems they can update the Telematics FW to make it work if the car is slightly older, but I am not sure it can be done on the NTG5.2 models.

I will post an update on this and the Aux/USB tests soon. I hope this info is usefull to some of you. Note I am in no way at all affiliated to any manufacturer/supplier/dealer, so all this info is purely based on experience with these products.
The following 2 users liked this post by sa_tech:
Chrisk03 (07-20-2018), eling23 (06-26-2018)
Old 06-26-2018, 03:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 327 Likes on 260 Posts
2019 E450 4Matic & 2018 E400 4Matic
What's incredible about this discussion is soon the 2019 GLC will roll into showrooms. And just like the 2018, 2017 and 2016, you can get Comand OR Car Play, but you cannot get both. If one options a 2019 GLC out nicely, you'll spend in the $60,000 range and still not have the ability to have Car Play with Comand. The 2019 C class will now have Car Play and Android Auto as standard to which you can add Comand. I would order a 2019 GLC, but am now going to wait for the updated 2020 GLE (which will be released later this year), which will come with the new MBUX Infotainment system, with Car Play standard.
The following users liked this post:
Chrisk03 (07-20-2018)
Old 06-26-2018, 10:25 PM

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
GLC
Just get the car without Comand which is clunky anyway. Spend that money elsewhere.
Old 06-27-2018, 09:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by openwheelracing
Just get the car without Comand which is clunky anyway. Spend that money elsewhere.
Then you can't have the larger all glass screen, which is another ding. I've decided to just move up to the new 2019 or 2020 whatever they're going to call it GLE, when it releases later this year.
Old 06-27-2018, 10:41 AM

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
GLC
Originally Posted by rbrylaw
Then you can't have the larger all glass screen, which is another ding. I've decided to just move up to the new 2019 or 2020 whatever they're going to call it GLE, when it releases later this year.
The 8 inch screen also has huge bezels and I personally think the base 7 inch screen is plenty good. I knew the larger wider screen was coming and all Mercedes are moving towards the dual screen setup in the future. So the $2400 package nets little while being a major downgrade without Carplay and AA.

Yes, upgrading to GLE with latest design would be way to go if you can wait. However, there is always something newer just around the corner. So I never chase after that. Just buy what I like. Car play and AA will Outlast 2025 Mercedes interface, so make sure you guys get it.
Old 06-27-2018, 12:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by openwheelracing
The 8 inch screen also has huge bezels and I personally think the base 7 inch screen is plenty good. I knew the larger wider screen was coming and all Mercedes are moving towards the dual screen setup in the future. So the $2400 package nets little while being a major downgrade without Carplay and AA.

Yes, upgrading to GLE with latest design would be way to go if you can wait. However, there is always something newer just around the corner. So I never chase after that. Just buy what I like. Car play and AA will Outlast 2025 Mercedes interface, so make sure you guys get it.
I'm going to wait for the GLE. I would be annoyed every single time I got in my car and didn't have things I want that a few months patience could get me. I still find it unfathomable that in 2019, Mercedes is limiting the GLC so from technology much lesser cars get as standard fare these days.
Old 06-27-2018, 05:39 PM

GLC43, GTI, X3, Mazda3
Originally Posted by rbrylaw
What's incredible about this discussion is soon the 2019 GLC will roll into showrooms. And just like the 2018, 2017 and 2016, you can get Comand OR Car Play, but you cannot get both. If one options a 2019 GLC out nicely, you'll spend in the $60,000 range and still not have the ability to have Car Play with Comand. The 2019 C class will now have Car Play and Android Auto as standard to which you can add Comand. I would order a 2019 GLC, but am now going to wait for the updated 2020 GLE (which will be released later this year), which will come with the new MBUX Infotainment system, with Car Play standard.
Wow, so the 19 C Class gets ACP/AA?...did not know that. It is a major fail by MB that one cannot get ACP/AA with COMAND in the GLC. It is one of the hottest segments in the market and this option is avail in the GLA and now new C Class. What is MB doing/thinking?
Old 06-27-2018, 07:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Chrisk03
Wow, so the 19 C Class gets ACP/AA?...did not know that. It is a major fail by MB that one cannot get ACP/AA with COMAND in the GLC. It is one of the hottest segments in the market and this option is avail in the GLA and now new C Class. What is MB doing/thinking?
Yep, the GLC isn't getting either for 2019. I guess they figure the GLC is hot enough that most people won't notice or perhaps care? I was told the 2020 a year from now, will see the upgrades being put in the C class this year. While I'm about as big a fan of MB as one can be, to me, it's disrespectful when you have the technology to simply not provide it to your customers. It's not like I'd expect it for free. I'd gladly pay for it.
Old 06-29-2018, 05:26 PM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
2016 GLC 300
Originally Posted by GaryOkie
I obviously didn't think they were, but upon checking the MB map ordering website, I see now that the 1st 3 years of updates are free (a $750 US value). So in keeping your MB longer, $250 per future update definitely qualifies as expensive.

Thanks for the clarification!
Can you provide the web address for the MB map ordering website? many thx
Old 07-19-2018, 11:57 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes E Class W212
Re:

Originally Posted by 3angFeng945
Just saw a bunch of threads talking about the CarPlay in MY 2018 model. Just wondering would it be possible to retrofit the CarPlay for my 2017 model? Does anyone have any info on that?
GLC 2018 already has build in Carplay function in the car, for some low configuration car, it might need to do computer coding to activate the function.
For 2015-2017 car, it need to add hardware to realize this functions, here's our product for your reference, with build in Carplay, Android Auto, Mirrolink and Parking guide line function, support backup camera and 360 degree surround view camera:
https://www.sardincar.com/mercedes-b...x253-gla-x156/

Old 07-20-2018, 11:49 AM

GLC43, GTI, X3, Mazda3
Originally Posted by sardincar
GLC 2018 already has build in Carplay function in the car, for some low configuration car, it might need to do computer coding to activate the function.
For 2015-2017 car, it need to add hardware to realize this functions, here's our product for your reference, with build in Carplay, Android Auto, Mirrolink and Parking guide line function, support backup camera and 360 degree surround view camera:
https://www.sardincar.com/mercedes-b...x253-gla-x156/
Perhaps I'm not understanding you completely, but this is not 100% accurate. 2018 GLC with COMAND does not have ACP/AA built in and computer coding won't work. Hardware is needed for any GLC with COMAND.
Old 07-20-2018, 05:27 PM

soon-to-be 2018 glc43
Originally Posted by sa_tech
Hi. I cannot provide all answers, but can give you some info on experience with the OBD activation and SmartBox as mentioned. To get the OBD to work, you need to decode the VIN and make sure the SA154 code is present. If this code is not present, the OBD activator will not work. I have done some SmartBox installations, and although the installation is actually very easy, there are some "downsides". Firstly, the GLC does not have AUX in, so the standard way to get Audio when using Car Play, is by tuning the radio to a preset frequency, and making sure you are on that radio preset before switching to Car Play mode. Secondly, if your phone is connected to Bluetooth, you will find that outgoing calls are 100% when in Car Play mode, but incoming calls will have no audio, because the phone will be connected to "Car Play" and not Bluetooth, so you need to change on the phone from Car Play to Bluetooth. I don't know why outgoing calls work but not incoming calls. To overcome this, we have tried to use the Aux/USB adapters also mentioned previously, but we were unable to get it to work in a GLC with MM package. In order to check that the actual Aux/USB adapter does work, we used the same units in a C-Class (W205) and it worked fine. In theory, the SmartBox has a harness with 3.5mm aux out connector. The Aux/USB adapter has 3.5mm aux in, and once plugged into Media 2 port, it will show Aux/USB on the car's screen, so you should be able to select that as your source when using Car Play. Due to the fact that we could not yet get it to work, we ordered a few different versions from other suppliers, which I will test on the same GLC in the next day or so. The SmartBox does work well and Car Play integrates nicely into the car. The ONLY two issues are the audio and the fact that the SmartBox uses an external microphone for Siri. In the absence of any alternatives, this is actually the only solution for now. Unless MB can update the HU and add the SA154 code. I know on NTG5.1 systems they can update the Telematics FW to make it work if the car is slightly older, but I am not sure it can be done on the NTG5.2 models.

I will post an update on this and the Aux/USB tests soon. I hope this info is usefull to some of you. Note I am in no way at all affiliated to any manufacturer/supplier/dealer, so all this info is purely based on experience with these products.
Any updates with the AUX/USB tests? You're probably the only one I know around here with first hand experience. I would try this if the price was cheaper as I've read the return and refund process is not particularly trivial. Have not yet read a review on this product in the US that worked right out of the box on the GLC with NTG 5.0. I had tried to ask them for the 40-pin wire harness diagram to see which wires they're bypassing and running to their smart box but either they're unwilling to share that information or have no idea what i'm asking for. I took apart my dash to confirm the wiring colors and they were ~90% the same as the ones from NTG 4.5/4.7 diagrams that i found online. I couldnt find the NTG 5.0 diagrams to compare with.
Old 07-20-2018, 06:01 PM

soon-to-be 2018 glc43
Since the GLCs do not have an AUX-IN, is this what is essentially happening for a non-burmester system?

1) digital signal is sent to the smartbox from the phone.
2) Digital signal is converted to analog signal inside the smart box via onboard DAC (outputs the analog signal via the 3.5 mm cable)
3 ) AUX/USB dongle converts the incoming analog signal to a digital signal (output is USB).
4) USB digital signal from the armrest is sent to the car's HU, which converts it to an analog signal (outputs analog signals to the speakers).

So it goes from DAC, to ADC to DAC? For audiophiles, wouldn't that theoretically degrade the original signal (by some amount) from the original source?
Seemingly with the hit and miss with different AUUX/USB dongles, it would probably be easier and better if they output the audio digital signal from the Smartbox via USB.