GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

No bluetooth!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-21-2017, 03:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mb glc 300
No bluetooth!

Unless u buy the navigation package, u will be stuck like us, with a 45k car that does NOT have bluetooth. Nobody told us until after delivery. Would not have bought the car. Really Mercedes Benz....really????
Any advice on a work around? I would like to have hands free on my 45k car without paying another 2k plus for a feature almost every other car now has ty
Old 03-21-2017, 03:58 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
2015 370Z Nismo, 2018 GLC43 (on order)
Originally Posted by Edward M Knapp
Unless u buy the navigation package, u will be stuck like us, with a 45k car that does NOT have bluetooth. Nobody told us until after delivery. Would not have bought the car. Really Mercedes Benz....really????
Any advice on a work around? I would like to have hands free on my 45k car without paying another 2k plus for a feature almost every other car now has ty
Just glanced at the MY18 DOG and it looks like standard feature on all GLCs.

Old 03-21-2017, 04:01 PM

I thought 17 might be different but it's also listed as Standard:

Old 03-21-2017, 04:16 PM

Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts
right to be forgotten
It's been standard with Audio 20 for donkey years...
Old 03-21-2017, 04:17 PM

right to be forgotten
Are you suggesting that you have taken delivery but have not got bluetooth at all? That is weird...Maybe it is faulty?
Old 03-21-2017, 06:18 PM

mb glc 300
So lets be clear. Took delivery, couldn't get BT to engage on outgoing calls after hours of fiddling. Bluetooth handsfree technology works when ANSWERING calls, but not when PLACING calls because the phone button on the steering wheel nor the audio will not work UNTIL bluetooth is ALREADY engaged. To engage, I have to either hold the iphone and use siri, or manually cursor the screen to make a call. Then normal bluetooth works. Hang up and call back.... start all over again with manual intervention, hardly "handsfree".
Both of these methods violate the screen warning, most state laws, and common sense. The dealer in Henderson, when asked, knew of the issue and pronounced handsfree only available AFTER buying the navigation package. I am working my way up the chain to MB US/ or International next. Any help/ workarounds appreciated. It seems they KNOW it doesn't work without the upgrade, and seem to be mis representing their assertion of Bluetooth. Perhaps it should state "some or partial" bluetooth features. TY for your replies. If u know who I can contact, please advise. TY ed knapp

Last edited by Edward M Knapp; 03-21-2017 at 06:22 PM.
Old 03-21-2017, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by dejongj
It's been standard with Audio 20 for donkey years...
Yup. Kind of figured that and am curious to the OPs suggestion that it is not.
Old 03-21-2017, 06:24 PM

So lets be clear. Bluetooth handsfree technology works when ANSWERING calls, but not when PLACING calls because the phone button on the steering wheel nor the audio will not work UNTIL bluetooth is ALREADY engaged. To engage, I have to either hold the iphone and use siri, or manually cursor the screen to make a call. Then normal bluetooth works. Hang up and call back.... start all over again with manual intervention, hardly "handsfree".
Both of these methods violate the screen warning, most state laws, and common sense. The dealer in Henderson, when asked, knew of the issue and pronounced handsfree only available AFTER buying the navigation package. I am working my way up the chain to MB US/ or International next. Any help/ workarounds appreciated. It seems they KNOW it doesn't work without the upgrade, and seem to be mis representing their assertion of Bluetooth. Perhaps it should state "some or partial" bluetooth features. TY for your replies. ed knapp
Is this because the lack of Voice command? I'm assuming that is what you mean e.g. press the button and "call John Doe"

If so, maybe you can select phone through the MMI? There you might be able to place calls.
Old 03-21-2017, 06:31 PM

Here is what I was thinking.

Old 03-21-2017, 06:55 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GLC43
Have you checked out the below?

www.mercedes-benz-mobile.com
Old 03-21-2017, 07:20 PM

mb glc 300
Thanks for responses. I have called MB USA. They confirmed that, despite what their listed features are, that the system, in fact, does NOT have BT connectivity without the "voice command" that is available ONLY if you bump up to the NAVIGATION package.
The issue is being bumped up to management, and I await their call. ty all
Old 03-21-2017, 09:13 PM

mb glc 300
So here's my post to MBUSA on FB, in case it doesn't clear for posting:NO REAL BLUETOOTH.....Bought a new GLC 300 4matic! My 4th Benz. Excited until..... After delivery, I discovered that unless you buy the expensive navigation package, you cannot voice activate the "Standard" Bluetooth handsfree phone by voice or the phone button. Basically, even tho' it's listed as a standard feature in advertising and on the window sticker, what they mean is that it won't work without manual intervention to make outgoing calls unless you scroll the manual screen you're not supposed to be looking at while driving, or perhaps handhold your Iphone and hope SIRI can hear you over the radio, all before you crash or get a ticket! I confirmed this feature IS NOT INCLUDED without the expensive NAVI feature with my dealer AND MB USA confirms this. Basically, u get only PARTIAL BLUETOOTH features, and can't stay "legal" making a call. Anyone else have a similar issue? Any Ideas on what to do next, since it seems ridiculous that I bought a 45k luxury car without HANDSFREE Bluetooth even though it's advertised included??? Help!
Old 03-21-2017, 10:38 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
GenesisG70 '20 GLC300 DakotaBrwn/Silk '16
Is the OP saying that one can't use the buttons (steering wheel/ elsewhere) to make a call? That is different than voice command. From the thread, it implies that one has to pick up the phone. I thought one could use vehicle buttons to make a call. Am I mistaken?

I have Nav, so I can't check it myself.
Old 03-21-2017, 10:53 PM

mb glc 300
No button mo voice will open BT

ty Redwin
mb usa confirms the phone button on right steering wheel will not engage bt nor will a voice command. They both only work after u buy the navi package. Therefore, there is no entry point into handsfree use, handsfree. Ergo, bt is not handsfree. Either the screen contacts downloaded from phone can be slowly manually selected using the wheel, or physically pick up and use iphone w siri until a call is placed and then and only then bt kicks in. MB seems to have decided to sacrifice safety to push folks into the navi package, yet market non navi packages as having standard bt. But manually entry on every outgoing call is needed. This is, sadly, therefore, deceptive marketing at best.Ty ek
The following users liked this post:
RedwinGV (03-22-2017)
Old 03-21-2017, 11:04 PM

right to be forgotten
I must admit OP you are anything but clear, you say you have no bluetooth but then say you have it. But then you start redefining what bluetooth is by referring to it as REAL BLUETOOTH. I'm sorry but you are very wrong, it has real bluetooth and it has all the relevant bluetooth profiles.

No what YOU didn't order is voice activated dealing or control. But you most definitely have bluetooth. You can make and take calls wirelessly via the bluetooth profiles with your mobile phone. Your car also acts as a wireless handsfree kit.

That is not deceptive marketing at all. When I buy a bluetooth headset that doesn't mean it automatically has build in voice dealing recognition, in fact it does the same as your Mercedes does. It will use your phone's applications to do that.

I'm sorry to say but you have a severe comprehension issue regarding what bluetooth actually is.
The following 2 users liked this post by dejongj:
MercedesTheBest (03-22-2017), VET11B (03-22-2017)
Old 03-22-2017, 01:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 263 Likes on 207 Posts
C450, GLC43
1.Get one of your grandkids to show you how to use the voice activation on your phone and how to pair it properly
2.Then buy a decent mount for you phone.
3. Use the phone's voice activation to initiate calls from the vehicle.
Old 03-22-2017, 02:39 AM

mb glc 300
Sarcasm is the wit of fools....,

Yes, technically u are correct, especially If u are using 2008 technology, or live in the past ( many socially challenged have such problems) Pep Boys may have an upgrade for u, and counseling may help with the tailgating hostility. Namaste!
but if i can fast forward u to 2017, even for a minute, u might like to update yourself to current de rigeuer standards. other car makers currently offeri voice / button interface for initiating bluetooth calls. Cheapass Hyundais have been there for years with either a button or voice activation, without nav programs. To help u and mb engineers into the future, i offer the following link which explains modern day bluetooth on almost all cars currently manufactured, and the current vernacular industry standard for marketing "handsfree bluetooth"
this is called a webpage link:
https://www.edmunds.com/car-technology/car-tech-101-bluetooth-basics.html
So it becomes sad that MB is NOT in the forefront of such an issue, especially in representing what they COULD offer consumers for an insignificant production cost, IMHO
Thanks to the rest of u for constructive responses.
Old 03-22-2017, 04:06 AM

right to be forgotten
Yes, technically u are correct, especially If u are using 2008 technology, or live in the past ( many socially challenged have such problems) Pep Boys may have an upgrade for u, and counseling may help with the tailgating hostility. Namaste!
but if i can fast forward u to 2017, even for a minute, u might like to update yourself to current de rigeuer standards. other car makers currently offeri voice / button interface for initiating bluetooth calls. Cheapass Hyundais have been there for years with either a button or voice activation, without nav programs. To help u and mb engineers into the future, i offer the following link which explains modern day bluetooth on almost all cars currently manufactured, and the current vernacular industry standard for marketing "handsfree bluetooth"
this is called a webpage link:
https://www.edmunds.com/car-technolo...th-basics.html
So it becomes sad that MB is NOT in the forefront of such an issue, especially in representing what they COULD offer consumers for an insignificant production cost, IMHO
Thanks to the rest of u for constructive responses.
Sure whatever. We really do live in the post fact society inhabited by little snowflakes

If telling the truth and providing a factual response is seen as hostility then I'm sorry to inform you Edward M Knapp, it is you who has a problem. In fact, you are having the problem as you don't understand what it does and how it works. You've made an assumption without checking the facts, shame but you can learn from that. Unfortunately you seem to choose to not do that and instead alienate anyone who actually tells you the truth. That is not a nice character trait.
Old 03-22-2017, 05:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 301 Likes on 190 Posts
GLC 450
Not sure if this helps or hinders but my wifes clio a few years ago HAD bluetooth but she couldn't use it for making phone calls, would have thought making phone calls should be available on all MB'S but maybe not.
Old 03-22-2017, 06:33 AM

right to be forgotten
Originally Posted by Philamg
Not sure if this helps or hinders but my wifes clio a few years ago HAD bluetooth but she couldn't use it for making phone calls, would have thought making phone calls should be available on all MB'S but maybe not.
It is available on all Mercedes The OP is not referring to bluetooth but to the lack of linguatronic.

And yes bluetooth doesn't mean making phone calls, it sounds like the Clio only had the music streaming protocol implemented. The standard doesn't define anything that is mandatory regarding phone calls.
Old 03-22-2017, 01:01 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Toyota Venza / Lexus IS300
Well.. learned something new about MB vehicles. It's a shame that they provide such low tech parts in their vehicles. My 6 year old Toyota had voice activated hands-free bluetooth and it didn't even have Nav. So, coming from that I would have assumed that a MB vehicles would have that as well. Thank goodness Nav and Comand are part of Premium Package here in Canada or else I would be in the same boat as OP.

Last edited by LHT0128; 03-22-2017 at 01:04 PM.
Old 03-22-2017, 03:04 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
GenesisG70 '20 GLC300 DakotaBrwn/Silk '16
IMO, This is a "whine" thread. MB's have all sorts of features that other vehicles don't and some MBs are missing features that may come standard on somewhat low priced vehicles. It happens. At least the option is offered for most MBs.

It's a bit like some hotels. Some of the best hotels charge extra for wifi and bfasts and some entry level hotels offer a free breakfast and free wifi.

Just remember that in the end, the choice is yours.
The following 2 users liked this post by RedwinGV:
dejongj (03-23-2017), zhenyaf (03-22-2017)
Old 03-22-2017, 04:03 PM

I think the thread helps point out the lack of a feature that some might not realize before they buy and it could help one decide between one set of packages over the other. I'm now curious if the new SmartPhone integration package will be lacking in Voice Command. Surely it will and this may be another reason why to chose the Multimedia package.
The following users liked this post:
RedwinGV (03-22-2017)
Old 03-22-2017, 08:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 263 Likes on 207 Posts
C450, GLC43
Originally Posted by VET11B
I think the thread helps point out the lack of a feature that some might not realize before they buy and it could help one decide between one set of packages over the other. I'm now curious if the new SmartPhone integration package will be lacking in Voice Command. Surely it will and this may be another reason why to chose the Multimedia package.
Smartphone integration almost certainly will rely on the phone's VR. That's the whole point, to have the telematics/infotainment emanating from the phone which is much more easily upgradable than the vehicle hardware is.
Old 03-22-2017, 08:50 PM

Isn't that what the Command-less BT phone integration now do, rely on the phones VR? I think this is the point the OP is bemoaning that they have to try and use SIRI or manually key in the call to use their phone instead of hitting the phone button on their steering wheel and saying "call whomever".

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: No bluetooth!