GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

Glc 350 e plug-in hybrid

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-02-2017, 04:05 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Mercedes Benz E200 Avantgarde 2016 + MercedesBenz GLC250 4Matic 2016
Glc 350 e plug-in hybrid

I own a GLC 250 4Matic 2016, i bought it for 90,000$, the customs in my country are so high, for this GLC i paid 30,000$ for customs. Do you suggest that i should convert to GLC 350 e 4 Matic ( custom = 10,000$). Im afraid from the plug in hybrids, are they good? Any problems with them??? I live in Jordan
Old 05-02-2017, 05:55 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
'12 Ducati 1198S, GLE C292
Originally Posted by Obeidat
I own a GLC 250 4Matic 2016, i bought it for 90,000$, the customs in my country are so high, for this GLC i paid 30,000$ for customs. Do you suggest that i should convert to GLC 350 e 4 Matic ( custom = 10,000$). Im afraid from the plug in hybrids, are they good? Any problems with them??? I live in Jordan
It seems that the car taxes in Jordan are quite like the ones in Norway. I have a 350e on order, and I have had one as a demo for weeks at a time. I LOVE the hybrid! The only negative side is the smaller trunk, but it is still some 400 litres, which is enough for me. Allmost as fast 0-100 as the GLC43.

I picked the 350e for the exact same reason as you!
Old 05-03-2017, 08:55 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2010 Genesis Coupe
I have a glc300 on order right now in the US and have been contemplating the 350e, but with no data it's hard to pull the trigger. I mean, we don't even have release dates, much less prices. Are there any braking issues related to the 350e vs 300 in real life testing? I know I've read about regenerative brakes causing issues in the past on vehicles
Old 05-03-2017, 09:06 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
MB GLC 350
I also have the 350e (in norway)

The brakes on the 350e is the same as the AMG43, this is because of the weight and power duration and the brakes are good.

The 350e has the petrol 250 engine which is a good engine. I tuned mine to 320hp(original 211) because the engine is way down powered.
The following users liked this post:
TommyCoolazz (02-14-2018)
Old 05-03-2017, 09:26 AM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
GLC 43, MITSUBISHI PHEV, BMW Z1
For what it's worth, I also have a Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV which I use mainly in London (and the GLC 43 for out of town).
I've had it for almost 3 years. I would make the following comments -
1. Zero issues (reliability etc).
2. It is a bit different to drive but great in town with instant torque and no noise.
3. They work best when you can charge at home AND many of your trips are under 25 miles (to maximise economy on all-electric).
4. I bought it primarily for the tax and parking breaks but it has surpassed expectations. Ideal town car.
5. Surprsingly comfortable on a long journey but the small tank is a pain (150 mile range at high speed). Think the GLC is similar.
Old 05-03-2017, 09:43 AM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
GLC 43, MITSUBISHI PHEV, BMW Z1
Correction to my last. Think the GLC 350e has a 50 litre tank so shouldn't be any range issues.
Old 05-03-2017, 10:13 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2010 Genesis Coupe
95% of my trips are under 10 miles. My work commute is 8 each way, for instance, and I have 4 EV parking spots w/ chargers in my work building which is really nice. This seems like the ideal kind of car for me but not knowing *any* specs/prices right now is really annoying.
Old 05-03-2017, 03:25 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GLC 350e
Hi there! I have a GLC 350e since two weeks now (with just almost everything on it except for the sunroof); because I was kind of disappointed finding almost nothing on the actual driving experience with a 350e, I've joined just to comment here.

Like other Europeans here, I'm leasing this GLC version for tax reasons, but also for the low-emission 'thing': I do have solar panels at home, and can charge the battery at work. Btw, when I had to order (last summer!) this was the only medium size hybrid SUV with an automatic tow hitch (at least among the models I've looked, probably because of unique position of the e-motor in the GLC), which was a must for me.

First of all: it's incredibly silent, even when the petrol engine kicks in (I have the acoustic windows and come from a X3 2.0 diesel...). It's incredibly fun to drive, and in hybrid mode the 7-gear petrol engine kicks in unobtrusively. Driving to work & back, I just select the e-mode. The tank takes 50L.

Breaking is done by the electric motor if done gradually (charging the battery), unless you need an immediate stop, when the regular brakes kick in (which is felt, but quick to get used to; very rarely needed at least for my driving style). The brake calipers are blue, btw, as are the two outer light casings; you can have this debadged but I didn't, it kind of matches the citrine brown.

Driving purely on the electric motor feels *very* responsive & fun, and gets me about 18 to 24 km far (but absolutely not the advertised 31k) depending on driving style and settings, temperature, lights, etcetera. When the battery runs out, the petrol engine eats up 8-10L/100k (my dealer told me that'll be 11L with a sportier driving style), but with mostly shorter distances and charging at work & home it get less than 3L/100km. I expect this to rise after I'm done exploring the eco & charging thing and start looking into the 330hp combined might ;-).

Well... I love the looks of the car (20" amg rims), but, so far, I have been enjoying this car to no end in eco mode and hybrid-or-electric mostly, and with a big grin on my face in the less ecological modes too.

Last edited by Talisker; 05-03-2017 at 03:27 PM. Reason: spelling corrections
The following users liked this post:
Ducatisti (05-03-2017)
Old 08-14-2017, 04:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i3, XC60
Dear Talisker!

Thank you for the valuable comments.

I am planning just now to order the GLC350e. Can you give some feedback:

- If you start the car morning on pure electric mode, does the petrol engine kick in? So can you start the car without any petrol if the battery is fully charged?

- what is your estimate mileage at highway speeds (130 km/h)?

- how long does it take to charge up the battery at 240V standard outlet?

What are your feelings after the first half year?

Thank you,

Daniel

Originally Posted by Talisker
Hi there! I have a GLC 350e since two weeks now (with just almost everything on it except for the sunroof); because I was kind of disappointed finding almost nothing on the actual driving experience with a 350e, I've joined just to comment here.

Like other Europeans here, I'm leasing this GLC version for tax reasons, but also for the low-emission 'thing': I do have solar panels at home, and can charge the battery at work. Btw, when I had to order (last summer!) this was the only medium size hybrid SUV with an automatic tow hitch (at least among the models I've looked, probably because of unique position of the e-motor in the GLC), which was a must for me.

First of all: it's incredibly silent, even when the petrol engine kicks in (I have the acoustic windows and come from a X3 2.0 diesel...). It's incredibly fun to drive, and in hybrid mode the 7-gear petrol engine kicks in unobtrusively. Driving to work & back, I just select the e-mode. The tank takes 50L.

Breaking is done by the electric motor if done gradually (charging the battery), unless you need an immediate stop, when the regular brakes kick in (which is felt, but quick to get used to; very rarely needed at least for my driving style). The brake calipers are blue, btw, as are the two outer light casings; you can have this debadged but I didn't, it kind of matches the citrine brown.

Driving purely on the electric motor feels *very* responsive & fun, and gets me about 18 to 24 km far (but absolutely not the advertised 31k) depending on driving style and settings, temperature, lights, etcetera. When the battery runs out, the petrol engine eats up 8-10L/100k (my dealer told me that'll be 11L with a sportier driving style), but with mostly shorter distances and charging at work & home it get less than 3L/100km. I expect this to rise after I'm done exploring the eco & charging thing and start looking into the 330hp combined might ;-).

Well... I love the looks of the car (20" amg rims), but, so far, I have been enjoying this car to no end in eco mode and hybrid-or-electric mostly, and with a big grin on my face in the less ecological modes too.
Old 08-14-2017, 04:46 PM

GLC 350e
Originally Posted by daradi
Dear Talisker!

Thank you for the valuable comments.

I am planning just now to order the GLC350e. Can you give some feedback:

- If you start the car morning on pure electric mode, does the petrol engine kick in? So can you start the car without any petrol if the battery is fully charged?

- what is your estimate mileage at highway speeds (130 km/h)?

- how long does it take to charge up the battery at 240V standard outlet?

What are your feelings after the first half year?

Thank you,

Daniel
If you select e-mode, the petrol engine doesn't kick in at all; in hybrid mode the car always starts electrically unless the battery is almost or completely drained. I would not dare to drive the car with an empty petrol tank!

With a standard outlet, it takes anything between 3 and 4.5 h to charge pending the remaining charge (the "charge" indicator kicks in rather early at 25%, so the remaining amount to charge can vary). At a public plug it takes 1.5h.

On the highway i get 7.2 in eco mode and driving like an old man. 120 km/h is max here. Comfort mode gets a bit more. Driving like an F1 pilot will get you >11L/100K.

I still love the car in its hybrid iteration, absolute fun to drive!
Old 08-14-2017, 04:59 PM

i3, XC60
Thanks so much!

Sure I never drive with empty tank... just if you start with a Volvo XC90 plug-in, in cold starts the petrol engine kicks in to warm up the motor. So it burns petrol even if you select e-drive mode.

I would go to my working place which is in 10 km of range, and I would love to go 100% electric if possible. If cold start would require the petrol engine to kick in to pre-warm the engine, that would be a bad thing for me.

Unfortunately I cannot try the car out because here the dealer has no test car of GLC 350e. I don't like the sound of the 4-cylinder diesels...is the engine noise better here?

Many thx,

Daniel

If you select e-mode, the petrol engine doesn't kick in at all; in hybrid mode the car always starts electrically unless the battery is almost or completely drained. I would not dare to drive the car with an empty petrol tank!

With a standard outlet, it takes anything between 3 and 4.5 h to charge pending the remaining charge (the "charge" indicator kicks in rather early at 25%, so the remaining amount to charge can vary). At a public plug it takes 1.5h.

On the highway i get 7.2 in eco mode and driving like an old man. 120 km/h is max here. Comfort mode gets a bit more. Driving like an F1 pilot will get you >11L/100K.

I still love the car in its hybrid iteration, absolute fun to drive!
Old 08-15-2017, 01:09 AM

GLC 350e
Unfortunately I cannot try the car out because here the dealer has no test car of GLC 350e. I don't like the sound of the 4-cylinder diesels...is the engine noise better here?
The petrol engine is really quiet; i have the accoustic side windows though. Don't forget to order the DAB digital radio so you can really enjoy the absence of any noise...

Last edited by Talisker; 08-15-2017 at 03:31 AM. Reason: (spelling, sorry!)
Old 08-15-2017, 10:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 C350
Originally Posted by lassegm
I tuned mine to 320hp(original 211) because the engine is way down powered.
How is this done?!
Old 08-15-2017, 12:26 PM

i3, XC60
Hi,

And can you provide the REAL electric range in city summer and winter?

The petrol engine is really quiet; i have the accoustic side windows though. Don't forget to order the DAB digital radio so you can really enjoy the absence of any noise...
Old 08-15-2017, 01:27 PM

GLC 350e
And can you provide the REAL electric range in city summer and winter?
Don't know about winter, I have the care since late April.

Short answer:

It depends.

Really. Your miles/km *will* vary.

Long answer:

Like I said in an earlier post, the range on electrical-engine-only varies considerably with your driving mode (e-mode, comfort, sport,...), driving habits (contemplative vs more aggressive styles...), rain or not, dark or not, hot or cold, highway and speeds >70-90 kph vs 'slow' roads, average downhill vs average uphill, etcetera...

Also something I've already mentioned here: the predicted E-range on the dashboard or your app is only a rough estimate, and switches to the 'go-to-charging-station' badge fairly early on, approx at 25% remaining charge; after this it will switch to the petrol engine sooner especially at higher speeds or at faster acceleration but will still allow you to drive electrically at lower speeds in urban areas. The system will (always?) try to conserve some charge to maintain processes (lights, airco, radio) at stops while switching off the petrol engine.

I get distances between 15-18 km (on the highway, fast accelerating and maintaining 110-120 kph) and up to 25 km at 30-50 kph in urban areas without too many stops/starts and 'easy' driving (plus stretches at slow speeds after the counter switches off, so probably somewhat more). The indicator takes your previous drive into account, so on a full charge it shows max ranges between 24 and 31 km, but in reality a I get (at least) a few km less.
Old 08-15-2017, 02:03 PM

i3, XC60
Many thanks!
I have an i3 and enjoy it really much.. but was a bit afraid that such plug-in hibrid will not give that electric feeling I am anticipating...

Don't know about winter, I have the care since late April.

Short answer:

It depends.

Really. Your miles/km *will* vary.

Long answer:

Like I said in an earlier post, the range on electrical-engine-only varies considerably with your driving mode (e-mode, comfort, sport,...), driving habits (contemplative vs more aggressive styles...), rain or not, dark or not, hot or cold, highway and speeds >70-90 kph vs 'slow' roads, average downhill vs average uphill, etcetera...

Also something I've already mentioned here: the predicted E-range on the dashboard or your app is only a rough estimate, and switches to the 'go-to-charging-station' badge fairly early on, approx at 25% remaining charge; after this it will switch to the petrol engine sooner especially at higher speeds or at faster acceleration but will still allow you to drive electrically at lower speeds in urban areas. The system will (always?) try to conserve some charge to maintain processes (lights, airco, radio) at stops while switching off the petrol engine.

I get distances between 15-18 km (on the highway, fast accelerating and maintaining 110-120 kph) and up to 25 km at 30-50 kph in urban areas without too many stops/starts and 'easy' driving (plus stretches at slow speeds after the counter switches off, so probably somewhat more). The indicator takes your previous drive into account, so on a full charge it shows max ranges between 24 and 31 km, but in reality a I get (at least) a few km less.