GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

Tips On Removing Chrome Trim

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-18-2017, 12:41 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2017 GLC300 Coupe
Tips On Removing Chrome Trim

I know I've seen some folks wrap/plasti-dip the chrome trim on the exterior, any tips on removing the trim on the GLC? I know technically I could do the work with them on the car and get decent results, but I a) don't have ready access to an outdoor outlet for my heat gun, b) don't really have a good work space since I don't have a garage, c) not sure if I trust myself to not mess up the paint.

I have a trim removal kit, and I've watched a lot of videos about most of them just popping off with a little force, but don't want to do anything that will leave me with expensive bits to fix.
Old 05-19-2017, 04:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 GLC 300
Death to chrome

I'm interested in blacking out the chrome bits, hopefully someone will post a how-to...
Old 05-19-2017, 11:23 PM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2018 GLC43 (On Order)
I've seen DIY's on other forums (try club lexus) on blacking out emblems with plastidip. My buddy did it to the chrome trim of his car and it looked fine. He used plastidip and then covered it with plastidip glossifier to give it the polished black look. Was the cheaper way for him to go and if you mess up that stuff comes off easily. Once done it looks fine and has held up to Arizona heat for several years now.

Otherwise you can look into spending a good chunk of change to have it wrapped.
Old 05-20-2017, 12:25 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2017 GLC300 Coupe
Yea, I've been researching the plastidip route, and that would work better for my situation, but I figured vinyl would be easier to remove later down the line if need be. Everything I've read about removing plastidip has basically been get a goo remover product and start rubbing. I might end up doing the window trim in plastidip and the rear bumper and roof in vinyl.