GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

Multimedia Package vs Apple Car Play/Android Auto on new 2018

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-13-2017, 10:04 PM
ACN

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2018 GLC 4Matic
GM vehicles have had it for years. Ford has it.

Other MB vehicles have it.. So yes, it should be easy at this point in time as a standard option. Why can't you have a large screen and car play?
Old 06-13-2017, 10:39 PM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2018 GLC43 (On Order)
That question I do not deny. I would love to have both and not have had to pick between the two on my order. I'm just pointing out that the answer is probably a little more complicated than... it's just software.
Old 06-13-2017, 10:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 159 Likes on 150 Posts
2016 GLC300 Dakota Brown on Espresso Brown Leather, 2014 C250 Sport Diamond Silver
Originally Posted by ACN
GM vehicles have had it for years. Ford has it.

Other MB vehicles have it.. So yes, it should be easy at this point in time as a standard option. Why can't you have a large screen and car play?
Unfortunately, Mercedes is only offering the bigger screen with command. I would agree with you that the large screen would be nice for car play. In addition, you have to get command if you decide to get certain options on your car like drivers assist package. You will not be able to get car play
Old 06-14-2017, 06:34 AM
ACN

2018 GLC 4Matic
Originally Posted by dieseldoc
Unfortunately, Mercedes is only offering the bigger screen with command. I would agree with you that the large screen would be nice for car play. In addition, you have to get command if you decide to get certain options on your car like drivers assist package. You will not be able to get car play
Yes, exactly. We ordered the Advanced DA package and thus had to get the multimedia. Oh well
Old 11-28-2017, 04:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLC
Originally Posted by /////Tbro
If only I had a dollar for every time someone says "it's just software".. by golly Mercedes why didn't you walk into the Apple Store and buy the install disc and pop it in?! There is a laundry list of possibilities to why they aren't integrating it into the Command system, at least at this time. There must be some issue that's even causing their delay for incorporating this into vehicles in general. Bugs? Cost? Demand? Licensing Agreements? Resources focused elsewhere? Oh but it's Mercedes so they should be able to just flip the on switch on demand to get these additional options working flawlessly and on time.
According to the dealer I visited, Mercedes has it in other models as do many other car manufacturers. I'm a techie and I have no idea why they didn't integrate it - seems to be a bit of tone-deaf towards customers. I've driven a few times (and see myself doing many more) through places that had no cell coverage. The answer is a $100-$200 GPS device that you pull out of the glove compartment in the rare cases you need it. The rest of the time, use Apple or Google maps and save the $2K. Why can't you buy the larger screen with Car Play? Again, a bit of tone deaf towards customers.
Old 11-29-2017, 11:26 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2018 GLC300 P01 selenite grey
All in all, I'm very happy with the smart phone integration, even though I got the 7" screen.
I can't understand why so many drivers prefer the Command System? It doesn't work very well, and it's cumbersome.
Old 11-30-2017, 02:54 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
GLC 300
Originally Posted by stath
All in all, I'm very happy with the smart phone integration, even though I got the 7" screen.
Also very satisfied with smartphone integration.

For me it's just mostly the fact that Siri/Google is just obviously more tightly connected with your phone ecosystem. Being able to voice command Siri to love/dislike/play more songs like this etc.. allow me to keep my attention on driving. Both Apple & Google are also incrementally improving every year. That and obviously you're saving $1900.

But for most people, I don't think it's COMAND vs Apple/Google, it's Driving Assist vs Apple/Google. I think that's where the dealbreaker lies for many.
Old 11-30-2017, 02:58 PM
ACN

2018 GLC 4Matic
For me, it was small vs big screen,ao had to go with command unfortunately.

I'd like big screen + Google like in other models
​​​
Old 12-01-2017, 06:21 PM

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts
GLC43, GTI, X3, Mazda3
Originally Posted by ACN
For me, it was small vs big screen,ao had to go with command unfortunately.

I'd like big screen + Google like in other models
​​​
Wanted the bigger screen as well as some of the other goodies. Guess I'm also hoping MB figures out a way to retro it back to the '18 models..."so you're saying there's a chance". Loved the Google setup/interior of the new SQ5, but not enough to pull me away from the 43.
Old 12-29-2017, 10:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glc 300
Originally Posted by zhenyaf
I have my iPhone 7+ mounted to the left of the MB screen, it's a very convenient spot to run navigation from. The audio is routed through bluetooth.
I have CarPlay and LOVE it. Problem is there’s no place to mount your phone. Would you please share how you’ve mounted it without damaging the dash?
Old 12-30-2017, 04:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Owner's generally choose to do one of five things with their iPhone - use 3ft braided cable so they can set the phone on the passenger seat, or anywhere - use a aftermarket "CD" magnetic mount that inserts into the CD player slot, which tends to block cup holder - use windshield magnetic mount - use a magnetic dash mount - or use magnetic "vent" holder on one of the center dash vents
Old 12-30-2017, 11:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2018 GLC300
I did order Android Auto.
Only thing is when Android Auto is connected,, It take the control..
EX:. MP3 on SD card or USB no longer can be played or controlled via any buttonon wheel or dash.
You will have to have Mp3 music on your phone or use one of those App to play music and use Navigation together,,

I ended up purchasing SD garmin Map,, Much better interface,,