Airbag "Warning" In dash cluster

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 07:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
C63s
Airbag "Warning" In dash cluster

Anyone else get an intermittant notification in the cluster that states "passenger airbag enabled"? My wife's 2017 GLC has done this 3x in 2000 miles. Warning won't go away until you press "OK". Additionally, the yellow dashlight stating "Passenger Airbag On" isn't always illuminated when this occurs.

Yes, there is someone in the front passenger seat... Dealer states it's normal when someone is in the seat, however, wouldn't that mean it should happen EVERY TIME someone is in that seat???? It does not.... thoughts?
Old 08-08-2017, 08:46 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
2017 GLC 300 4matic, 2021 BMW R1200GS
I have never seen that message on our GLC. I think the dealer is wrong.

I suggest you get them to demonstrate the same message using another car on the lot. I'll bet they can't do it.
Old 08-08-2017, 09:54 PM

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
Very very slow
I saw the message but only when my 9 years old son was sitting and playing in the front passenger seat.
Old 08-08-2017, 10:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 994 Likes on 766 Posts
2003 CL 600
That sounds like there's a person who is too small in the seat, so the car goes between thinking it should turn the airbag off, to turning it back on. Is your front seat passenger a tiny adult or child? Are they sitting on the side or edge of the seat and/or moving around, not sitting in the correct position? If they get enough weight off the occupancy sensor, it will disable the airbag. If they then sit properly and pass the threshold for enough weight for a level 1 deployment, the airbag should re-enable.

If you're having issues with a full size person sitting there normally, then the dealer should re-calibrate the occupant classification system sensor, or replace it if it continues. There was a bulletin about recoding the WSS system for an issue like this, I believe it applies to the 253 but I don't recall exactly.