Designo v. Standard Leather

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-14-2017, 02:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
None yet
Designo v. Standard Leather

Hello All,
I am in the process of specifying my new GLC coupe. I am trying to decide between the more "standard" black leather and the Designo option, black with the white inserts. Has anyone had any experience with these choices as I have not seen the Designo in the "flesh"
Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails Designo v. Standard Leather-mb1.jpg   Designo v. Standard Leather-mbv1.jpg  
Old 08-14-2017, 05:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 159 Likes on 150 Posts
2016 GLC300 Dakota Brown on Espresso Brown Leather, 2014 C250 Sport Diamond Silver
I have standard leather. It is nice. The designo is Nappa and is softer. Would go for designo.
The following users liked this post:
Underatedmule (08-15-2017)
Old 08-14-2017, 06:14 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
GLC 300
I have standard leather (beige) on my 2017 GLC 300. As I noted in a different thread, I find it too stiff. In contrast, the standard leather on my 2014 GLK 350 was very soft and much more comfortable. I would definitely opt for the Designo leather.
Underatedmule (08-15-2017)
Old 08-14-2017, 06:33 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
GLC 300
Originally had design leather in my build order, but had to remove it because it added up to 8 weeks to my build time.
Hope yours is much sooner.
Old 08-14-2017, 07:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
BMW M235xi
If the OP (or anyone) orders the Designo I would be curious if you would be able to add the heated steering wheel in Netstar. I want to confirm the web builder is mistaken.
Old 08-15-2017, 02:40 AM

None yet
Originally Posted by augerpro
If the OP (or anyone) orders the Designo I would be curious if you would be able to add the heated steering wheel in Netstar. I want to confirm the web builder is mistaken.
Not sure about Netstar but the online configurator in my country (Switzerland) alows me to add the heated steering wheel option with the Designo interior. It doesnt alow a crystal grey roof lining which is unfortunate but I can live with the black. I also had to check with MB to confirm that I would gewt the matt black wood finish with the designo as the configurator was letting this happen however all the literature says it is standard.

I will go with the Designo however my wife is nervous about the white leather and keeping it clean
Old 08-15-2017, 09:56 PM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
W205 C300 (MY), X253 GLC43 (AU), W213 E400 4M (AU), S213 E220d All-Terrain (AU)

Originally Posted by Underatedmule
Not sure about Netstar but the online configurator in my country (Switzerland) alows me to add the heated steering wheel option with the Designo interior. It doesnt alow a crystal grey roof lining which is unfortunate but I can live with the black. I also had to check with MB to confirm that I would gewt the matt black wood finish with the designo as the configurator was letting this happen however all the literature says it is standard.

I will go with the Designo however my wife is nervous about the white leather and keeping it clean
Here in Australia, my GLC43 has all-black Designo leather (option code 971).
Old 08-15-2017, 10:19 PM

BMW M235xi
Not sure about Netstar but the online configurator in my country (Switzerland) alows me to add the heated steering wheel option with the Designo interior.
That's encouraging. I'm looking at the Platinum white also.
Old 08-16-2017, 02:17 AM

None yet
Originally Posted by yjchua

Here in Australia, my GLC43 has all-black Designo leather (option code 971).
Looks great in Black as well, hard decision! Are you finding them comfortable ona long drive? Do you also have the climatised seats? Heating and Cooling? I will go with this option. I used to live in Australia it brings back some memories seeing a right hand drive car

Cheers.
Old 08-16-2017, 10:03 AM

GLC 300 4Matic, Sport+Night
I would for sure caution anyone on the white leather! I was in a MB showroom and even the BRAND NEW showroom floor car with white leather was already showing color blending/absorption. Blue jeans/denim seem to be the biggest culprit.

However, discoloration on the side bolsters when you enter / exit seem to be the sore spot, but in this photo looks like those are black, so that should help with wear (door arm rests are white, though).

Last edited by CasemLuke; 08-16-2017 at 10:06 AM.
Old 08-16-2017, 11:13 AM

GLC 300
Looks great in Black as well, hard decision! Are you finding them comfortable ona long drive? Do you also have the climatised seats? Heating and Cooling?
When I originally ordered designo leather, heated seats were actually required...it wasn't an option.

This was for MY18.
Old 08-16-2017, 11:50 AM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
W205 C300 (MY), X253 GLC43 (AU), W213 E400 4M (AU), S213 E220d All-Terrain (AU)
Looks great in Black as well, hard decision! Are you finding them comfortable ona long drive? Do you also have the climatised seats? Heating and Cooling? I will go with this option. I used to live in Australia it brings back some memories seeing a right hand drive car

Cheers.
Yes, I do have climatized seats (which works really great in the hot Australian summer). Seat heating is next to useless for me though (our winters aren't all that cold).

I drove from Melbourne to Sydney nonstop (10 hour drive) with it, and they were quite comfortable (but that being said, nothing can match Volvo when it comes to seat comfort and ergonomics for long distance driving).
Underatedmule (08-16-2017)
Old 08-16-2017, 01:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 194 Likes on 167 Posts
16 E550 Cab, 2003 Ram bright red crewcab 4x4 we call Clifford :)
Originally Posted by yjchua
Yes, I do have climatized seats (which works really great in the hot Australian summer). Seat heating is next to useless for me though (our winters aren't all that cold).

I drove from Melbourne to Sydney nonstop (10 hour drive) with it, and they were quite comfortable (but that being said, nothing can match Volvo when it comes to seat comfort and ergonomics for long distance driving).

We have standard leather in the E550 and Designo in the ML63, The ML is more comfortable and I agree about the volvo seats
Old 08-17-2017, 04:48 PM

Received 84 Likes on 64 Posts
X3 M40i
I have designo white interior in my GLC. Yes, it looks very upscale in the GLC; however, it is PITA to keep clean. I keep all sorts of chemical guy leather cleaner/restorer products in my GLC to wipe off stains. I have 4 year old and tanner wearing wife and I cringe every time the wife wears shorts or a skirt. The interior definitely stands out in the crowd and is very very comfortable. I had the dealer put a stain blocker upon delivery of vehicle and that has help maintain the color a bit. If we had full black designo in the USA as an option I would have been all over that.

Old 08-18-2017, 10:02 AM

BMW M235xi
That's my fear about the white. I wear jeans a lot. I'm just so over black, even though the designo black is gorgeous too.

What would be some good stain blocks? Leather cleaner/conditioner?
Old 08-18-2017, 10:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 194 Likes on 167 Posts
16 E550 Cab, 2003 Ram bright red crewcab 4x4 we call Clifford :)
That's my fear about the white. I wear jeans a lot. I'm just so over black, even though the designo black is gorgeous too.

I hear ya on the black... I live in southern Florida, aka seriously HOT sun... I was worried the seats would be brutally hot.... the standard tint on the windows have made that not an issue.... surprisingly

Go sit in a car with standard and then designo, there is marked difference.. so much so that I can't see me getting another Merc without it.

Mike
Old 08-18-2017, 05:13 PM

BMW M235xi
Originally Posted by mrmotoguzzi00
I hear ya on the black... I live in southern Florida, aka seriously HOT sun... I was worried the seats would be brutally hot.... the standard tint on the windows have made that not an issue.... surprisingly

Go sit in a car with standard and then designo, there is marked difference.. so much so that I can't see me getting another Merc without it.

Mike
I went to a MB dealer and did a build on Netstar and and it did indeed block me from the heated steering wheel with the designo white, although not with black (which it blocks on the website builder). He's going to call corporate and see what the deal really is. He's also going to try to find out about the "full" and "lesser" AMG front ends with the AMG package.

BTW if I buy a GLC it is to a replace a my own 2001 Dakota! Been a fantastic truck, and I finally realized no one is going to make a replacement in the mid-size category that ticks all my boxes. So I thought what the heck I'll get a nice SUV and a utility trailer.
Old 08-18-2017, 07:07 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2008 BMW 135i
I went to a MB dealer and did a build on Netstar and and it did indeed block me from the heated steering wheel with the designo white, although not with black (which it blocks on the website builder). He's going to call corporate and see what the deal really is. He's also going to try to find out about the "full" and "lesser" AMG front ends with the AMG package.

BTW if I buy a GLC it is to a replace a my own 2001 Dakota! Been a fantastic truck, and I finally realized no one is going to make a replacement in the mid-size category that ticks all my boxes. So I thought what the heck I'll get a nice SUV and a utility trailer.
The designo white interior gets the flat bottom AMG wheel out of the 43 so there is no heating option. BTW, what does a dakota do that a tacoma or colorado won't?
Old 08-18-2017, 07:39 PM

BMW M235xi
Originally Posted by B00STED
The designo white interior gets the flat bottom AMG wheel out of the 43 so there is no heating option. BTW, what does a dakota do that a tacoma or colorado won't?
The design guide says you lose the flat bottom wheel if you select heated. But hey, since the website builder doesn't agree with Netstar, which doesn't agree with the design guide, I wouldn't claim to know with certainty ANYTHING MB communicates!

All the new trucks lack torque, and living in Denver I won't do naturally aspirated anymore. That crosses them all off the list. If that wasn't a enough, they tend to have either old transmissions, halogens, no proximity keys, no heated steering wheel. Pretty much all the things you would get in any of their sedans or SUV's. MAnufacturers hate the mid-size truck segment, they don't improve them unless absolutely forced.
Old 08-18-2017, 07:56 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2008 BMW 135i
The design guide says you lose the flat bottom wheel if you select heated. But hey, since the website builder doesn't agree with Netstar, which doesn't agree with the design guide, I wouldn't claim to know with certainty ANYTHING MB communicates!

All the new trucks lack torque, and living in Denver I won't do naturally aspirated anymore. That crosses them all off the list. If that wasn't a enough, they tend to have either old transmissions, halogens, no proximity keys, no heated steering wheel. Pretty much all the things you would get in any of their sedans or SUV's. MAnufacturers hate the mid-size truck segment, they don't improve them unless absolutely forced.
There is a diesel colorado if torque is what you want. I would also bet that it ticks most of your boxes for features.
Old 08-18-2017, 08:37 PM

BMW M235xi
Originally Posted by B00STED
There is a diesel colorado if torque is what you want. I would also bet that it ticks most of your boxes for features.
I test drove it. Decent motor. I think it still had the 6 speed, but should have the 8 speed soon. BUT, halogens and no proximity key. Don't think it had heated steering wheel either. Price to get it loaded is dang close to GLC, so it doesn't even compare. Ride in style 99% of the time but have to hook up a trailer 1% of the time, or medicocrity 100% of the time? For almost the same money? Take my money MB!
Old 08-18-2017, 08:38 PM

BMW M235xi
Oh and all the little problems the Colorado/Canyon have had has been off the charts.
Old 08-23-2017, 04:48 PM

X3 M40i
Standard steering wheel for GLC43 is the flat-bottom sport steering wheel. The heated steering wheel, you loose the flat bottom and its not as thick as the Sport Steering wheel. Pretty bummed that I couldn't get the sport steering wheel with the heated elements.

Cold weather with heated steering wheel > sporty steering wheel for looks (IMHO)
Old 08-23-2017, 04:51 PM

X3 M40i

Upon delivery of GLC, the dealer added a stain blocker. Not sure what they used but, my salesman added it for free since I *****ed and complained about the white.

For leather cleaners and conditioners, I use Chemical guys leather lovers kit. The kit is currently on sale at the ChemicalGuys website.