GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

GLC rear airbags

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-24-2017, 12:03 AM
KB5

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
GLC rear airbags

I am trying to decide whether or not to install the door (not curtain) airbags on my new GLC43. My dealer tells me it will be an additional $250 over the $450 option charge because the airbags will be installed NOT in the factory but at the destination dock. What is this all about? Is this an MB install or an aftermarket install. Has anybody had this situation with their new car?

250 o
Old 09-24-2017, 12:45 AM

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
'17 BMW X3, '18 GLC300 4Matic
I'm not familiar with the rear airbags you are considering, but lots of options are installed at the Vehicle Processing Center (VPC) at the port. Trailer hitches, running boards, etc. These would still be considered MB installed options. But if the Option Price is $450 and they're charging you $250 on top of that, that sounds a little sketchy. Looks like your dealer should be able to explain what's going on. Maybe a third party vendor DOES supply the parts and labor to install them.

When pinstripes down the side were popular a long time ago, the local Toyota dealer considered them a "Dealer Installed Option" but a local detail shop actually did the work. But with a safety item like an airbag it looks like Federal regulations or whatever would dictate who could install them.
Old 09-24-2017, 10:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Well intentioned reply - but let me clarify

Thanks for sharing - but let me clarify with factual stuff rather than chat-around-the-fire-about-goold-ole-days whatever...

Yes - Rear Side Airbags are a SPC (not VPC) option. There has been a change in consumer thinking about Rear Side Airbags - as more recent research leans towards RSA being unsafe especially for infants, front facing child seats, and small children - stuff like is the reason MB has has made RSA a SPC owner option/choice

Yes - SPC options also incur a MB $250 flat special charge in addition to the cost of the option - you can have 1-to-whatever # of SPC options and the MB handling charge stays $250
Old 09-25-2017, 12:41 AM

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
'17 BMW X3, '18 GLC300 4Matic
Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
Thanks for sharing - but let me clarify with factual stuff rather than chat-around-the-fire-about-goold-ole-days whatever...

Yes - Rear Side Airbags are a SPC (not VPC) option. There has been a change in consumer thinking about Rear Side Airbags - as more recent research leans towards RSA being unsafe especially for infants, front facing child seats, and small children - stuff like is the reason MB has has made RSA a SPC owner option/choice

Yes - SPC options also incur a MB $250 flat special charge in addition to the cost of the option - you can have 1-to-whatever # of SPC options and the MB handling charge stays $250
Thanks for clarifying, fabbrisd. I should stick to things I have first hand knowledge of.

And, not to seem lazy...I googled SPC and searched a little on these forums, what exactly does SPC stand for? And more specifically, are SPC options only available when you order your car or might I run into that if I want to add something to my car now?
Old 09-25-2017, 07:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 301 Likes on 190 Posts
GLC 450
Originally Posted by Vaboy
Thanks for clarifying, fabbrisd. I should stick to things I have first hand knowledge of.

And, not to seem lazy...I googled SPC and searched a little on these forums, what exactly does SPC stand for? And more specifically, are SPC options only available when you order your car or might I run into that if I want to add something to my car now?
Lots of manufacturers list the price of options and the fitting by the dealer is extra.
Old 09-26-2017, 07:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Well....

The best "guess" is Special Product Code - and frankly on GLC300 I don't recall any - and for GLC43 there is that one option to add rear side airbags at $420.

If a option is SPC - that option will show in the descriptions (SPC) - and the $250 charge does not show on the build/spec sheet - but is charged on the dealer/customer final invoice.

In essence it means a options that will not be programmed for the robots assembly line setup - and will be done at the factory by a tech team. They kindof jump in at one point and do it

That is my clearest understanding..
The following 2 users liked this post by fabbrisd1:
jimbobboy (09-27-2017), Vaboy (09-27-2017)