GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

Command failures

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-27-2017, 08:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2018 GLC 300 Coupe
Command failures

I think a major flaw in the command system and controls in general is that you can't change the radio or track via the steering wheel... And there are no buttons to automatically change to a different preset. Unless I just haven't figured it out yet, the only way to change music, is to literally have the music screen showing on command. If you have a map showing, there is no way to change the radio or track. That's crazy. I have a HUD so technically I can always see the Navi, but having to change the command screen in order to change music is a major fail. I've never had this issue in any other car, why MB couldn't figure this out is crazy
Old 10-27-2017, 10:08 PM

Received 57 Likes on 54 Posts
Mercedes-Ben GLC300 4Matic
Originally Posted by cherron1978
I think a major flaw in the command system and controls in general is that you can't change the radio or track via the steering wheel... And there are no buttons to automatically change to a different preset. Unless I just haven't figured it out yet, the only way to change music, is to literally have the music screen showing on command. If you have a map showing, there is no way to change the radio or track. That's crazy. I have a HUD so technically I can always see the Navi, but having to change the command screen in order to change music is a major fail. I've never had this issue in any other car, why MB couldn't figure this out is crazy
if you have the radio display showing on the instrument cluster screen between the speedo and tach you can use the left up and down button to change the radio. from there you can also choose whether it scrolls through radio station presents or all channels

alternately, with the map showing, you can use two finger swipe up or hit the middle button at the rear of the touchpad to bring up radio control, then swipe left or right or use knob to change channel. its a 2 part gesture,. which is crazy

agreed a physical button would have been ideal. When map is showing, it would make much more sense if the knob to change the radio and not the map zoom. i rarely change the map zoom. i always change the radio station.

i have gotten used to it, but it is a bit cumbersome and nowhere near intuitive
The following users liked this post:
cherron1978 (10-28-2017)
Old 10-28-2017, 07:01 AM

2018 GLC 300 Coupe
Thanks for the info, I'll check out the screen in between the tach, I hadn't noticed you can bring up the radio on that screen
Old 10-28-2017, 11:45 AM

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
1995 SL500 - 2017 AMG GLC 43
Thanks for the info, I'll check out the screen in between the tach, I hadn't noticed you can bring up the radio on that screen
Read you COMAND manual front to back. You'll be surprised what you can do with it.
Old 10-28-2017, 08:54 PM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
2018 GLC 43 & 2014 SLK 350, gone 2016 E63 Wagon
Do you have voice control with the command feature? I have an E63 and an SLK and they came with a "Voice Control System" manual. You can control many functions using you voice - no need to use the screen. I have not taken delivery of my GLC43 yet but I certainly hope there is voice control as part of the command feature.
Old 10-28-2017, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by Tylbran
Do you have voice control with the command feature? I have an E63 and an SLK and they came with a "Voice Control System" manual. You can control many functions using you voice - no need to use the screen. I have not taken delivery of my GLC43 yet but I certainly hope there is voice control as part of the command feature.
yes i will say voice features do work well.
no voice control i have found for the glc. that sure would be ncie. any idea where i can get the e63 or slk manual, that would probably be a big help as i'm sure many of the commands are similar.
Old 10-30-2017, 06:17 AM

2018 GLC 300 Coupe
The 18glc coupe has voice control, not as convenient as a button where you can surf channels quickly. You can use the steering wheel button when you have radio displayed by tachometer screen
Old 10-30-2017, 07:01 AM

The 18glc coupe has voice control, not as convenient as a button where you can surf channels quickly. You can use the steering wheel button when you have radio displayed by tachometer screen
agreed. i miss a physical button as well
one thing that is oddis that when you change with the steering wheel control,. first push brings up the list and second changes the channel. the two step thing is minor i know but definitely annoying.

Last edited by ajmtbm; 10-30-2017 at 07:06 AM.