GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

Addresses

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-31-2017, 07:35 AM

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
Mercedes-Ben GLC300 4Matic
Addresses

I store all of my addresses in Outlook sync'd with my phone. The contacts show up in COMAND but when I try to navigate to them they typically don't have an address assiciated with them. Some have just the city and state and navigates to what I'm guessing in the city center.

Any thoughts on how to make this work?
Old 10-31-2017, 06:30 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
GLC 250D
What type of phone? Android? I have this problem. When I first got the car close to two years ago, I experimented to try to understand why some the addresses for some contacts could be navigated to and not others. I never solved this problem. Has to be a bug in the Comand system. I raised it with my fairly tech-savvy salesman and he couldn't offer a solution, other than waiting for a Comand update.
The following users liked this post:
ajmtbm (10-31-2017)
Old 10-31-2017, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by bips
What type of phone? Android? I have this problem. When I first got the car close to two years ago, I experimented to try to understand why some the addresses for some contacts could be navigated to and not others. I never solved this problem. Has to be a bug in the Comand system. I raised it with my fairly tech-savvy salesman and he couldn't offer a solution, other than waiting for a Comand update.
Android Nougat on an S7
Thanks for letting me know, i'll stop trying to fix it. tried everything i could
waiting for a COMAND update - wont hold my breath thats for sure!
Old 10-31-2017, 08:29 PM

GLC 250D
Holding your breath could be dangerous in this instance. I guess it's possible that it's an Android bug. My phone (S4 mini) is old and I can't update past 4.2.2 Jelly Bean, which is a pain as there are quite a few things I'm missing out on. However Nougat is pretty up-to-date, and so it sounds like a new phone won't solve this particular problem. It would be interesting to know whether any iPhone users have the same problem.
Old 10-31-2017, 09:01 PM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
2018 GLC 43 & 2014 SLK 350, gone 2016 E63 Wagon
The command manual has the following information:
If an address with a ZIP code is saved, the address can be used for route guidance. If the ZIP code cannot be assigned to an exact address, you can adjust the destination subsequently using the controller. Call up the address book (Y page 103).To select a contact: turn and press the controller. The details for the contact are displayed. To select an address: turn and press the controller or to select an entry with geo-coordinates: turn and press the controller the navigation menu is displayed. To select Start Route Guidance: slide 6 and press the controller. The route to the destination address is calculated and route guidance starts.

I have not tried using my contacts for route guidance but will give it a try.
Old 10-31-2017, 09:46 PM

GLC 250D
Thanks. The question is not whether some work, because some do, but whether they all work, because some don't, for no apparent reason. I.e. if you manually enter the exact same address into the navigation system then the address is found, but it simply can't read it from the phone. As ajmtbm said, if you examine the contact in COMAND phone contacts, the address is there, but the nav system sees it as blank or incomplete. I can't see a pattern as to which ones it can read and which ones it can't. I tried duplicating one that it could read and gradually editing the details to one that it previously couldn't, and at some point once again it couldn't.

Last edited by bips; 10-31-2017 at 09:49 PM. Reason: "manually"
Old 11-01-2017, 06:28 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
MB GLC250
Just been through this scenario. I had recently added a lot of new contacts to my phone, and noticed that the COMAND Navigation would not navigate to them when asked to, via voice control eg "Navigate to Fred Smith". The contact would be found but the response was that the address was incomplete of invalid.

I have found, after much trial and error ....much error and much trial !! ...that the address information MUST be exactly as per the COMAND system expects. It appears that other Nav systems, on phone or Google Maps ,are far more compliant with address info that is slightly off, ...not so Mr COMAND.

Things that may upset COMAND:
  • City and locality mixed up ie suburb and city switched around or you enter town/surburb/locatlity instead of actual city (this one is sometimes not immediately intuitive)
  • Use abbreviations for Rd, St, Clos, Cres, Dr, Ave, Hwy ...DO NOT use Road, Street, Close, Crescent, Drive, Avenue, Highway
  • Ensure street or locality name is spelt correctly (obvious eh!!...but not always)
  • Do not abbreviate in street or locality names (see above) ..ie Use 'Captain Smith Dr' not 'Captn Smith Dr'

After sorting through my address book on the phone, taking into account the above, I started to get a higher hit rate on voice commands. Am now happy!!
The following 2 users liked this post by Citizen613:
ajmtbm (11-02-2017), bips (11-01-2017)
Old 11-01-2017, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen613
Just been through this scenario. I had recently added a lot of new contacts to my phone, and noticed that the COMAND Navigation would not navigate to them when asked to, via voice control eg "Navigate to Fred Smith". The contact would be found but the response was that the address was incomplete of invalid.

I have found, after much trial and error ....much error and much trial !! ...that the address information MUST be exactly as per the COMAND system expects. It appears that other Nav systems, on phone or Google Maps ,are far more compliant with address info that is slightly off, ...not so Mr COMAND.

After sorting through my address book on the phone, taking into account the above, I started to get a higher hit rate on voice commands. Am now happy!!
Thanks so much for the tip I will sure give it a shot!
Old 11-01-2017, 07:47 PM

GLC 250D
I thought I'd tried everything, but it's been quite a while and I can't recall all that I tried, and so I will try some of Citizen613's suggestions. The idea of editing the entire address book is daunting. Citizen613 - are you on Apple or Android?
Old 11-01-2017, 11:48 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
MB GLC250
Originally Posted by bips
Citizen613 - are you on Apple or Android?
Andriod - Samsung.
Old 11-02-2017, 09:28 PM

i have my contacts in outlook which sync with my phone
after some trial and error i must say the results are mixed at best
ive setup 2 contacts the same exact way and one would have the address in the vehicle and one one not
looks like the implementation is not good at all.
i wonder if other vehicles do this much more consistently and its just a COMAND thing