GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

Collection of Tips

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-06-2017, 03:46 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
GLC300 2018
Collection of Tips

In anticipation of the arrival of our GLC, I have been collecting tips from the web. Please share if you have tips that are not mentioned below. If some tips do not work on your GLC please leave a reply. Your feedback is welcome! Note that there is an attached PDF which has embedded images that clarify some tips.

GLC Tips
Collected from the web, e.g. youtube videos, forums, and manuals. Thanks to all the sources!
  • BREAKING IN: First 1000 miles breaking-in:
  • TUNNEL FUNCTION: Press and hold before tunnel; same after tunnel to retrieve window/sunroof setting):
  • CHANGE DEFAULT UNLOCK: To open driver-door vs. all-doors setting, press and hold unlock+lock on fob
  • CONVENIENCE OPEN/CLOSE:Convenience open/close all partially/completely from outside: press and hold lock vs unlock button on fob; stop at any level… may need to point fob to sensor on handle
  • DOOR HANDLE SENSOR: You can also open and close all windows by holding your finger on the door handle sensor
  • TWO FINGER ALL WINDOWS: Move all windows down (or up) from inside via two fingers pushing/pulling the 4 keys:
  • FOB SIGNAL: Stop SmartKey from sending wireless signal: press Door Lock button twice in succession (the little red LED on the SmartKey flashes twice quickly and then stays lit for a second or so. Hit any SmartKey button to reactivate the wireless signal before you approach your vehicle. You can turn off to save battery when leaving the car
  • GLOVEBOX COLD AIR: Generate cold air into glove box vent (rotate vent on top of glove box; even if car is heated, cold air will flow):
  • BREAK HOLD: press break again at stops e.g. red light:
  • CHANGE HOOD ANGLE: Push beyond normal angle; or must push button on hinge:
  • FOLDING MIRRORS: Activate/deactivate folding mirrors from settings:
  • NEUTRAL: Keep transmission in neutral. Rolling the car without the driver (like in a carwash) in it is only possible with actual key fob in the ignition as the start stop button in place keeps putting car in park. Also be sure to turn off distronic plus in a carwash lane as per manual
  • REMOVABLE FRONT CUP HOLDER: Front cup holder is removable
  • TOW HOOK: find it in the trunk(?):
  • CRUISE CONTROL QUICK DECELERATE: Pulling the cruise control knob towards you then down twice quickly will reduce your speed by 10MPH in 1 second without your brake lights coming on
  • PADDLE SHIFT TO AUTO: Holding the right paddle will switch from temporary manual into auto
  • PADDLE SHIFT LOWERS GEAR: Holding the left shift paddle will down shift to the lowest usable gear
  • PADDLE SHIFT TO MANUAL: You don't have to press the "M" button to go into manual. You can just start shifting with the paddle shifters
  • AUTO PARKING BREAK: No need to release the parking brake manually. Just put the car in gear (D or R) and press the gas, the brake releases automatic
  • BACK ARROW: If you hold down the steering wheel back arrow button (left spoke), it will jump to the odometer readout in the center display.
  • VOLUME WHEEL: Push down on the center console volume wheel to mute and turn off display screen. Push again to restore volume and screen.
  • MOTION SENSOR:Deactivate motion sensor
  • OIL CHECK: (Works for GLC?) With your engine warm, but not hot, and your MB on a flat surface, put your key in the ignition and turn it to the ON position. Press the reset button and keep it pressed, don't let go until the car beeps once, it may take up to 30 seconds. Once the display changes, start the car and wait a few seconds for the oil reading:
  • BATTERY VOLTAGE: Whenever you're in doubt of your battery's condition, use this trick to display the voltage on your instrument cluster. Put your key in the ignition and turn it to the ON position, but don't start the car. With the screen in front of you set on the miles, press the reset button three times in a row, and the battery voltage should display. This trick works on the W203 Benz and may work on others.
  • THROTTLE RESET: If you're looking to get more throttle response out of your Mercedes, try resetting the throttle. Step on the gas pedal all the way down, then put your key in the ignition, turn it all the way to on, but don't start the car. Wait for 60-seconds, then turn the key off, and remove it from the ignition. This should reset your throttle. If you don't feel any difference in throttle response, you may want to try it again.
  • TRUNK KEY HOLE: With the current Mercedes technology, we never actually think about keyholes. In the end, how would we stick the oddly-shaped key into any key-hole? Well, since you can remove the metal part of the key (which is there so you can lock your glove box when you valet your car) you can use it to open the trunk with the hidden key hole. Look for it on an angle above the license plate on the trunk lid. If you didn't know this one, then it may save you some time in the future if your battery dies
  • EMERGENCY OFF: In any emergency situation, press the push-start button for approximately three seconds to turn the vehicle off. This hack isn’t exclusive to Mercedes-Benz and works for most cars with a push-start button.
  • QUICK TURN SIGNAL: Simply touch the turn signal in your Mercedes-Benz, and it will flash three times. This is handy for quick lane changes.
  • SIDE MIRRORS DURING REVERSE: While reversing, your side-view mirrors can be programmed to tilt downward to help with parking. On the driver’s-side door, press button two to adjust the mirrors. While braking, move the vehicle into reverse. Using the mirror-selection button once again, move the mirror all the way down, until you are able to see the rear wheel from your position inside the vehicle. Press the M button on the door, and you should hear a quick beeping sound. Move the car back into drive, and the mirror should go back to its original position. That mirror will now tilt downward every time the vehicle is put into reverse, and it will resume its normal position once the vehicle is moved back into drive
  • FRONT SEAT AUTO MOVE:In order to make room for rear seat release:
  • COPY FILES TO MEDIA REGISTER: e.g. after you insert a CD, select Options, Save Files to Media Register:
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
GLC Tips small.pdf (357.7 KB, 546 views)

Last edited by DrGH; 12-06-2017 at 11:20 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by DrGH:
emr61 (09-21-2019), jamespaul (12-11-2017), VancityGLC (02-18-2019)
Old 12-06-2017, 08:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
VW Passat
BREAK HOLD

This function doesn't work on my GLC.
Old 12-06-2017, 11:30 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
GLC300 2018
Originally Posted by Michael36
BREAK HOLD

This function doesn't work on my GLC.
really! I thought BREAK HOLD is a sure feature. Which year is your GLC? Are you sure the activation conditions are met?

from the owner’s manual (p182)

Activation conditions
You can activate the HOLD function if all of the following conditions are fulfilled:
-The vehicle is stationary.
-The engine is running or if it has been auto-
matically switched off by the ECO start/stop function.
-The driver's door is closed or your seat belt is fastened.
-The electric parking brake is released.
-The transmission is in position h, k or i.
-DISTRONIC PLUS is deactivated.
The following users liked this post:
ChinaBob (12-17-2017)
Old 12-06-2017, 11:51 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
GLC 300
KICKDOWN: Depress the accelerator pedal beyond the pressure point. The automatic transmission shifts to a lower gear depending on the engine speed

I activate BRAKE HOLD by pushing & holding the brake past pressure point until I see the HOLD indicator, I don’t double tap the brake.

One thing that I didn’t find documented in the app or manual, is that to activate Remote Start from your mobile phone the GLC has to have at least a 50% gas tank (a little higher in my experience).

And Congratulations on your new GLC!

Last edited by mike7ee; 12-06-2017 at 11:53 AM.
Old 12-06-2017, 09:07 PM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
2020 GLC 300 4Matic - Brilliant Blue/Black MB Tex, Premium Pkg, Multimedia Pkg,Parking & Driver Asst
Originally Posted by mike7ee
One thing that I didn’t find documented in the app or manual, is that to activate Remote Start from your mobile phone the GLC has to have at least a 50% gas tank (a little higher in my experience).

And Congratulations on your new GLC!
Just a correction. The fuel tank needs to have at least 5 gallons of gas in the tank in order to remote start, not 50%. Unless you have only a 10 gallon tank, which may be very inconvenient! :-)
Old 12-06-2017, 10:29 PM

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts
2016 GLC300
Wow, great list! My 2016 has the brake hold feature. I use it all the time at stop lights.
Old 12-06-2017, 11:08 PM

GLC 300
Originally Posted by Roowah
Just a correction. The fuel tank needs to have at least 5 gallons of gas in the tank in order to remote start, not 50%. Unless you have only a 10 gallon tank, which may be very inconvenient! :-)
Oh that's much better...I tried remote starting one time and it failed I assumed I didn't have enough gas. I'll try again with less than half a tank.
Old 12-07-2017, 06:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
VW Passat
Originally Posted by DrGH
really! I thought BREAK HOLD is a sure feature. Which year is your GLC? Are you sure the activation conditions are met?

from the owner’s manual (p182)

Activation conditions
You can activate the HOLD function if all of the following conditions are fulfilled:
-The vehicle is stationary.
-The engine is running or if it has been auto-
matically switched off by the ECO start/stop function.
-The driver's door is closed or your seat belt is fastened.
-The electric parking brake is released.
-The transmission is in position h, k or i.
-DISTRONIC PLUS is deactivated.
Everything is checked and brake hold still doesn't work. I drive in C mode, trans is in D and Start/stop is switched off. When i stop at red light and press brake hard, nothing happens. I need to keep pressing brake or switch trans to P mode. I have a 2017 GLC.
Old 12-07-2017, 01:17 PM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
2020 GLC 300 4Matic - Brilliant Blue/Black MB Tex, Premium Pkg, Multimedia Pkg,Parking & Driver Asst
Everything is checked and brake hold still doesn't work. I drive in C mode, trans is in D and Start/stop is switched off. When i stop at red light and press brake hard, nothing happens. I need to keep pressing brake or switch trans to P mode. I have a 2017 GLC.
The hold feature should definitely work. It's one of my favorite features. When stopped and your foot is on the brake, try pushing the brake pedal further down. That should activate the hold, and you will see an indicator on the bottom of your gauge cluster screen. To release, just push the accelerator.
Old 12-07-2017, 02:59 PM

GLC 300 4Matic, Sport+Night
Agree -- love the HOLD feature.

The tunnel mode for me has never worked -- anyone else have success with this?
Old 12-07-2017, 03:53 PM

GLC 300
I would take it to your dealer for a warranty repair.
Old 12-07-2017, 06:43 PM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
2018 GLC 43 & 2014 SLK 350, gone 2016 E63 Wagon
The hold function is not activated by only pressing the brake harder. The owner manual has the following information which indicates you need to press the brake and then release quickly and press again (page 184 of the manual for 2018):
Depress the brake pedal. Quickly depress the brake pedal further until : appears in the multifunction display. The HOLD function is activated. You can release the brake pedal. If depressing the brake pedal the first time does not activate the HOLD function, wait briefly and then try again.
Old 12-07-2017, 06:55 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
2017 GLC 300 4matic, 2021 BMW R1200GS
Oh that's much better...I tried remote starting one time and it failed I assumed I didn't have enough gas. I'll try again with less than half a tank.
fuel level isn’t the only condition for using remote start. The doors must be locked and (I think) the windows must be up.
Old 12-07-2017, 11:47 PM

GLC 300
Originally Posted by Tylbran
The hold function is not activated by only pressing the brake harder. The owner manual has the following information which indicates you need to press the brake and then release quickly and press again (page 184 of the manual for 2018):
The manual states that but that's not how my GLC works at least.

I come to a stop using the brake, I push farther past the pressure point and hold for a second and the HOLD is activated. There's no double braking or releasing required.
Old 12-08-2017, 02:32 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
MB GLC250
Some folk complain that there is no easy or direct button access for changing radio stations
If you have the COMAND system installed, there are options......

Options: (COMAND system)
1. While on the Radio display panel, spin the dial left or right, or nudge the dial left or right, or do the side finger flick on the touch-pad, increments up or down preset list.
2. From any screen, do the two fingers slide up the touch-pad, will raise the radio selection sub panel at the bottom of the screen, then do a slide flick on the touch panel, left or right, to increment up or down.
3. Have the Radio panel selected in the dash between the dials, use the up or down arrows on the left steering wheel arm.
4. Press voice command button, say "Next Preset", "Previous Preset"
5. Press voice command button, say "Frequency 104.1"
6. Press voice command button, say "Radio preset one four", to select Preset 14
7. Press voice command button, say "Radio (or Station) "two-day-f-m", to select 2DAYFM, only works for stations that broadcast their ID label.

One more COMAND Linguatronic voice control function, I found:

While listening to a Radio station, press the voice command button and
- Say "Store Station"
- She asks for a name.
- You can say anything you like, but maybe something that represents that station. However it could be "mickymouse"
- She asks for you to repeat the name
- You say "mickymouse"
- She says Station "mickymouse" stored << a playback of your voice recording.

This records your own 'voice tag' that is linked to this station.
So next time you want to go to this radio station press voice control button and say "Station mickymouse".

too easy!!

That's eight variations !!!! Thanks MB.
Old 12-08-2017, 09:52 AM

2016 GLC300

I come to a stop using the brake, I push farther past the pressure point and hold for a second and the HOLD is activated. There's no double braking or releasing required.
Same for me. Never had to double-pump to activate HOLD function.
Old 12-10-2017, 04:57 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mercedes GLC 250 4matic 2017 Iridium silver, with beige/brown interior.
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by DrGH
NEUTRAL: Keep transmission in neutral. Rolling the car without the driver (like in a carwash) in it is only possible with actual key fob in the ignition as the start stop button in place keeps putting car in park
Doesn't apply in Sweden (or at least not on my petrol 250). I have the start stop button option,
& I always wash with the key fob in my pocket. The swedish user manual clearly states exactly
what you describe, but so far it just doesn't apply. However, don't make the mistake to open
the door when in neutral - it immediately engages the park brake mode....
Old 12-16-2017, 04:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 Sprinter, 2015 GLK, 2017 GLC
There are a variety of legitimate reasons it fails. And a bunch of times it just doesn't work. Usually the colder it is and more snow or ice covered your car the last chances of the remote start actually working. If you use it on a nice balmy day when you don't really care if it works, it will probably work every time.

I have not found the Mercedes Me app to be terribly reliable. This is true for remote start, lock/unlock, or anything else. It will often say my subscription expired and prevent me from logging in. I call and MBrace tells me there is a problem with the app. Usually a few hours go by and all is well. It also takes a frustratingly long time to log in to if you have been logged out. I want to start the car a few minutes before I leave for the gym in the morning and I give up when I have to stand there for a minute or so waiting for the app to start. It's easier to go out and just start the car.
Old 12-16-2017, 08:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes glc
One thing I noticed was that HOLD does not work if 360 parking sensors are engaged (camera not on but button activated to left of steering wheel)
Old 12-16-2017, 01:26 PM

2016 GLC300
Originally Posted by Mr. October
There are a variety of legitimate reasons it fails. And a bunch of times it just doesn't work. Usually the colder it is and more snow or ice covered your car the last chances of the remote start actually working. If you use it on a nice balmy day when you don't really care if it works, it will probably work every time.

I have not found the Mercedes Me app to be terribly reliable. This is true for remote start, lock/unlock, or anything else. It will often say my subscription expired and prevent me from logging in. I call and MBrace tells me there is a problem with the app. Usually a few hours go by and all is well. It also takes a frustratingly long time to log in to if you have been logged out. I want to start the car a few minutes before I leave for the gym in the morning and I give up when I have to stand there for a minute or so waiting for the app to start. It's easier to go out and just start the car.
Similar experience for me. I wonder if any car manufacturer phone apps out there are quicker/more reliable. Honestly, a remote start key FOB would be better. Even when it works, the Mercedes Me app seems to take 2-3 minutes to start the car. By that time, I am usually at my car. I will say the Mercedes website is much better than most other manufacturers out there.
Old 12-17-2017, 07:07 PM

Received 57 Likes on 54 Posts
Mercedes-Ben GLC300 4Matic

sane here. stop then hard press top activate it. should be standard equipment on all vehicles!
Old 01-14-2018, 07:38 PM

Received 57 Likes on 54 Posts
Mercedes-Ben GLC300 4Matic
found another one the other day
if you are in a phone call and from any screen use the two-finder swipe up gesture (the one used to bring up the radio controls)
you bring up a 0 to 9 menu that you can use to input digits into the phone call