GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

door seal tightness.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-13-2017, 02:10 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GLC300 4Matic
door seal tightness.

Guys, just wanted to check, if anyone tested if their car's door seals are tight? Just an experiment.

I tested yesterday on my GLC300, I put a piece of paper between the door and closed it. I can pull the piece of paper out easily. When I tried to do it with my Lexus, the paper can still come out, but with much resistance (some portions of the door experiment tore the paper).

Can any of you guys confirm that our door seals are not tight?

That said, my experiment may not be the most scientific.
Old 12-13-2017, 11:35 AM

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
2016 GLC300 4Matic
Originally Posted by jamespaul
Guys, just wanted to check, if anyone tested if their car's door seals are tight? Just an experiment.

I tested yesterday on my GLC300, I put a piece of paper between the door and closed it. I can pull the piece of paper out easily. When I tried to do it with my Lexus, the paper can still come out, but with much resistance (some portions of the door experiment tore the paper).

Can any of you guys confirm that our door seals are not tight?

That said, my experiment may not be the most scientific.
Actually, as you already intimated, it’s not that simple. Door seal design is a complicated process that factors in door closing effort, water leakage, and wind and other outside noise. There’s a delicate balance between noise transmission and the compressed state of a seal. The tighter the compression the more sensitive the seal is to increased noise transmission. I’m sure Mercedes has thoroughly tested door seal design for optimal performance, the result of which probably failed your paper test due to factors involving noise transmission and/or closing effort.

Now if they had only optimized brake pad design for sound.
The following 2 users liked this post by guido3:
Bernadôtte (12-15-2017), jamespaul (12-13-2017)
Old 12-14-2017, 03:49 AM

Received 87 Likes on 83 Posts
2017 C43 AMG Saloon
Or maybe, your door seals aren't all that and are about to start leaking... You worry too much, relax enjoy the vehicle. Fill up the tank and go driving...
The following users liked this post:
jamespaul (12-14-2017)