GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

Help decide - MB GLC vs Lexus RX

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-30-2017, 08:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
glc
Help decide - MB GLC vs Lexus RX

I am new to this forum. I am trying to decide today between the 2018 GLC300 and the 2017 Lexus RX350.
Both vehicles are new. Both are similarly equipped as well with navigation and safety equipment.
i like the size of the RX it feels a bit bigger all around. I like the fit and finish the GLC and the driver seat comfort.
Consumer reports lists the RX as reliable (like usual) and the GLC low reliability. On my readearch I see that there where problems in earlier earlier years with the GLC. Have these been fixed? I also see problems with the RX.
Has anybody else wrestled with this decision? If so what did you choose and why?
Any input either way is appreciated.
I need to make a decision today for end of year reasons. I’ve run out of research options.

Last edited by Brian Delcavo; 12-30-2017 at 09:02 AM.
Old 12-30-2017, 09:34 AM

Received 132 Likes on 107 Posts
GLC43, GTI, X3, Mazda3
Originally Posted by Brian Delcavo
I am new to this forum. I am trying to decide today between the 2018 GLC300 and the 2017 Lexus RX350.
Both vehicles are new. Both are similarly equipped as well with navigation and safety equipment.
i like the size of the RX it feels a bit bigger all around. I like the fit and finish the GLC and the driver seat comfort.
Consumer reports lists the RX as reliable (like usual) and the GLC low reliability. On my readearch I see that there where problems in earlier earlier years with the GLC. Have these been fixed? I also see problems with the RX.
Has anybody else wrestled with this decision? If so what did you choose and why?
Any input either way is appreciated.
I need to make a decision today for end of year reasons. I’ve run out of research options.
Have you driven both? That may help you decide. Looks-wise is really in the eye of the beholder, but I personally have no problem with either...they both look good to me. I know some people really hate the Lexus grill, but it's grown on me. Anyway, IMO, the quick/simple answer is that if you are looking for reliability and a little bigger size, you probably are going Lexus. If you want more luxury and more fun to drive in a bit smaller package, GLC. You are correct on the Consumer Reports info, BUT the thing that bothers me about it is in October 2017 they rated the GLC highly, then in November they turned right around and rated it poorly. Huh? The main problems I've seen are major brake squeal and tire "scrubbing". MB, unfortunately, seems to still be dealing with both, however the brake issue seems to be closer to resolution with new brake pads out. Even so, some have reported it doesn't fully solve the problem. The tire "scrubbing" seems to happen mostly on RHD cars, but it does occur on LHD cars, as well. It also seems to happen mostly with larger sized rims/tires. Unfortunately, I can say this issue doesn't seem to be resolved as I have experienced it on my 2018 GLC43 that is a month old. Hopefully, that is helpful, although I didn't compare these two vehicles. Good luck!

PS. Forgot, if leasing, that might change things for me personally. If I were to lease, I'd probably go MB for sure. Long-term purchase would probably sway me back to Lexus.
Old 12-30-2017, 10:34 AM

glc
Originally Posted by Chrisk03
Have you driven both? That may help you decide. Looks-wise is really in the eye of the beholder, but I personally have no problem with either...they both look good to me. I know some people really hate the Lexus grill, but it's grown on me. Anyway, IMO, the quick/simple answer is that if you are looking for reliability and a little bigger size, you probably are going Lexus. If you want more luxury and more fun to drive in a bit smaller package, GLC. You are correct on the Consumer Reports info, BUT the thing that bothers me about it is in October 2017 they rated the GLC highly, then in November they turned right around and rated it poorly. Huh? The main problems I've seen are major brake squeal and tire "scrubbing". MB, unfortunately, seems to still be dealing with both, however the brake issue seems to be closer to resolution with new brake pads out. Even so, some have reported it doesn't fully solve the problem. The tire "scrubbing" seems to happen mostly on RHD cars, but it does occur on LHD cars, as well. It also seems to happen mostly with larger sized rims/tires. Unfortunately, I can say this issue doesn't seem to be resolved as I have experienced it on my 2018 GLC43 that is a month old. Hopefully, that is helpful, although I didn't compare these two vehicles. Good luck!

PS. Forgot, if leasing, that might change things for me personally. If I were to lease, I'd probably go MB for sure. Long-term purchase would probably sway me back to Lexus.
Thanks for the reply. I have driven both vehicles, neither stands out as exceptionally better than the other, for me. I am looking for long term purchase. They are too close in price for that to make a difference to me. The issues with the glc (tire scrubbing and brakes) lean to me towards the rx but they also have their problems. Some good things to think about but I remain “stuck”
Old 12-30-2017, 10:54 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
GLC300 2018
I know some people really hate the Lexus grill.
My my wife is one of those people and that’s at least one ( very strong ) reason why we went for GLC300 2018. Other reasons: higher levels of luxury/finishing and better looks (in our opinion); being a German car (understandably, this may not mean much for others); loved sitting in and driving the GLC (again, subjective).

I think both are very good cars and it’s really hard to pick a clear winner based on muiptle objective criteria (one car wins certain criteria and vice versa). One could get into carefully comparing specs, numbers and reports but unless you know exactly which criteria means the most to you (the importance of the different criteria to you personally), I think, at the end, it’s which one do you simply enjoy having, sitting in, and driving more.
Old 12-30-2017, 11:21 AM

Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts
2021 GLE 450, 2017 GLC 300 4Matic, 2008 FJ Cruiser
GLC 300 4matic for me. Can’t stand front grill shark mouth of the RX especially for a long term ownership. Have a feeling couple of years they will redesign it to something more modern and that mouth will stand out as an embarrassment in the future.
Old 12-30-2017, 11:54 AM

glc
Originally Posted by Sigp232
GLC 300 4matic for me. Can’t stand front grill shark mouth of the RX especially for a long term ownership. Have a feeling couple of years they will redesign it to something more modern and that mouth will stand out as an embarrassment in the future.
Thanks for the reply’s. These are some good points, I do like GLC styling more than the rx. This has been a big help. Although I’m still not convinced one way or the other but I’m not sure that I ever will be at this point.
Old 12-30-2017, 12:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 301 Likes on 190 Posts
GLC 450
Check out the Lexus forum , see what faults there are with the car.

Compared to other manufacturers forums that I have looked at there are very few faults with the GLC, and this is coming from someone who has the tyre scrubbing issue (RHD car).
Old 12-30-2017, 03:19 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
'18 GLC 300 4M/Air Suspension
I dislike the front grill of the Lexus RX, and hate even more the silly control mouse used to navigate around the center screen (not sure if they still use it). I've had two RX's, and the GLC300 4Matic suits my tastes better.
Old 12-30-2017, 06:39 PM

glc
Thank you for the input. I have gone forward with the Purchases of a GLC. I take delivery next week. I hope it drives as nice as it looks and suits me long term. This is my first MB purchase.

Last edited by Brian Delcavo; 12-30-2017 at 06:42 PM.
Old 12-30-2017, 11:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2018 GLC300
Was in the same situartion between RX and glc300 ...
Did not like the exterior design of RX,, as they will get bored very soon just like other Lexus,,
Came home in GLC300 4matic
One of my relative has RX and I must say it drives nice though...
Old 12-31-2017, 05:58 AM

glc
Originally Posted by 3dken
Was in the same situartion between RX and glc300 ...
Did not like the exterior design of RX,, as they will get bored very soon just like other Lexus,,
Came home in GLC300 4matic
One of my relative has RX and I must say it drives nice though...
Now that you have your home and are using it regularly are you happy with your purchase? Do you feel you make the right choice between the two cars? Would you do anything different?
Old 12-31-2017, 06:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 183 Likes on 150 Posts
GLC 300d 4matic
Originally Posted by PeteInGilroy
......and hate even more the silly control mouse used to navigate around the center screen
As opposed to the silly touchpad used by MB!!
Old 12-31-2017, 08:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2018 GLC300
[QUOTE=Brian Delcavo;7346571]Now that you have your home and are using it regularly are you happy with your purchase? Do you feel you make the right choice between the two cars? Would you do anything ?

I am happy with glc300. Beautiful interior, good power, standingbout presence.
Onlybthing I regret is not ordering the parktronic package.
Old 12-31-2017, 03:54 PM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
2016 GLC 300
May sound funny or trivial, but deal breaker for me when I compared both was the multimedia input ease. GLC dial (turn off the GLC small trackpad) totally superior to the hard to use RX trackpad. And the dash center stack in the GLC is elegant, the RX is not.
Old 01-01-2018, 06:26 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Mercedes Benz E200 Avantgarde 2016 + MercedesBenz GLC250 4Matic 2016
Gle500e, E350e

Get the glc with blind eyes, comparing japanese car with german one is offending germans 😂
Old 01-01-2018, 06:29 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Mercedes Benz E200 Avantgarde 2016 + MercedesBenz GLC250 4Matic 2016
Gle500e, E350e

​​​​​​​Gle500e, E350e
i got e350e and gle500e, i charge them overnight, i fill the e with gas every week ( i drive 30-40km daily), while i fill the gle500e with gas evvery two weeks ( i drive 30-40km daily). It is very efficient in addition to providing you with more horsepowers. Go with the GLC350e, there is no reason to buy the 250 if you can buy 350e for a lower price. Btw I owned an E200 2017 and E350e 2018, i saved 35$ a week of gas. Another point, i owned a glc250 also and sold it because of mechanical problems in it, they offered us getting GLC350e instead, but i got GLE500e because i hated the GLC (it slept in the service more that it slept in my house &#128514. Another point, if you want to save fuel, you should know how to drive efficiently, you should charge the car while driving, there are many other things. And a last point, you wont get 2-3L/100km it is imposssssible, the minimum you will get is 7L/100km
Old 01-01-2018, 11:48 AM

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
2017 GLC Coupe
I like the rx grille. To me, the glc drives significantly better than the Lexus. Plus I prefer the interior design of GLC
Old 01-02-2018, 05:03 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
GLC 300 4Matic, Sport+Night
Originally Posted by zhenyaf
I like the rx grille. To me, the glc drives significantly better than the Lexus. Plus I prefer the interior design of GLC
Tough one. Overall I would choose the GLC. My very first reaction is that the RX can be seen on every corner where I live. Over it. I feel my GLC (Dark Gray Sport - Black/AMG Night package, 20" multi spoke) has a distinguished look. And the interior is beautiful - I ordered the brown with ash wood. To me the RX interior seems like lots of high quality plastics, less visual variation than the GLC. Drive-wise, I love the GLC -- best dive of any vehicle I've owned -- feels like a solid tank, smooth, but has its sporty moments.

Electronics. for sure the downside of this car. Simple things like accessing radio pre-sets or phone speed-dialing -- I still haven't figured out how to efficiently use these. The more and more I use this car the more I get very aggravated with using the systems (comparing my prior Japanese experiences: 2 Acuras, 1 Lexus and 1 Infiniti). Simple every-day tasks that I want to do takes more steps/time and can be very distracting. If my car came with CarPlay I think that would significantly improve my first MB experience.

The backseat is a little weird to me, so check that out if you will use it often. I feel the seats are sunken and the padding is rather thin in the middle of the cushion (if you press down hard, you'll feel the metal platform under the seat). The cupholders are just stupid. A simple pull out tray could have done the trick, but instead MB needed to over-engineer a complicated contraption (not a huge problem for me, but over the holidays when I was riding in the back seat and sipping a beverage, I realized how dysfunctional they were in holding solo cup). F. One nice thing is that my shoes can comfortably slide under the front seat, there's no foot restrictions.

Cargo area is a OK. I think my 2014 RDX held more room. Let's just say I find myself putting 1 or both seats down a lot more in the GLC than I did in the RDX. Not a problem for me as the back seat is usually empty. Just keep it in mind.

Be different and go for the GLC.

Last edited by CasemLuke; 01-02-2018 at 05:11 PM.
Old 01-02-2018, 05:08 PM

My brakes also just started squeaking, only when reversing @ ~6000 miles - taking it in next week to get fixed (if there is a fix?)
Old 01-04-2018, 09:08 AM

glc
Thank you everybody for the input. I took delivery on Tuesday of my new GLC and am very happy so far. The interior is comfortable and the sleekest of all the cars i looked at. It drives better than I though (the auto engine stop turned off). The infotainment system is the biggest downfall I feel but just a couple days in it and it becomes much more natural. One thing that it’s missing that I did not realize was such a difference look wise, is the led light package. The “regular” headlights work just fine, it’s more of a styling thing for me. I’d personally take the navigation package over the led package anyway. What are your thoughts on the LED worth it or not to you? Thanks for your help with this. All things considered I feel I’ve made the right decision for us.
Old 01-04-2018, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Brian Delcavo
Thank you everybody for the input. I took delivery on Tuesday of my new GLC and am very happy so far. The interior is comfortable and the sleekest of all the cars i looked at. It drives better than I though (the auto engine stop turned off). The infotainment system is the biggest downfall I feel but just a couple days in it and it becomes much more natural. One thing that it’s missing that I did not realize was such a difference look wise, is the led light package. The “regular” headlights work just fine, it’s more of a styling thing for me. I’d personally take the navigation package over the led package anyway. What are your thoughts on the LED worth it or not to you? Thanks for your help with this. All things considered I feel I’ve made the right decision for us.
I upgraded to the $800 LED Headlight / Taillights. I love them. In addition to the cool DRL, they are super bright and better than my prior car's Xenon-HIDs. I didn't get the Intelligent LED (dynamic, moving / adjust the beam when turning, etc). Those seem cool, maybe next time. For now the Basic LED head beams are perfect for me -- as 80% of my driving is mostly straight lane -- unfortunately, no mountain / coastal curves here.
Old 01-04-2018, 11:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 301 Likes on 190 Posts
GLC 450
The intelligent led's are brilliant and the best option on the car.
Old 01-04-2018, 11:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 159 Likes on 150 Posts
2016 GLC300 Dakota Brown on Espresso Brown Leather, 2014 C250 Sport Diamond Silver
+1
Old 01-04-2018, 07:12 PM

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
Mercedes-Ben GLC300 4Matic
Originally Posted by Philamg
The intelligent led's are brilliant and the best option on the car.
I ended up getting the Intelligent LED because they came with P3 in 2017. They are tremendous, and I agree with Philamg probably the best option on the car.
I did get a loaner with the normal LED. As far as headlights go they were no slouch.
Old 01-04-2018, 07:50 PM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
2018 GLC 43 & 2014 SLK 350, gone 2016 E63 Wagon
I 100% agree with the comments on the Intelligent LED system - it works seamlessly particularly for the high beam. It simply amazes me how it works with no need to think about when to put the high beams on or turn them off. My SLK even has the same feature but with HID's. Simply a perfect piece of technology that I would not do without.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Help decide - MB GLC vs Lexus RX