lane keeping assist in GLC300 2018

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-04-2018, 01:46 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
GLC300 2018
lane keeping assist in GLC300 2018

I am reading in the operator’s manual (PDF) that:
* (Active) Lane Keeping Assist: This function is available in the range between 40 mph and 120 mph (60 km/h and 200 km/h).
whereas
* Distance Pilot DISTRONIC with Steering Pilot aids in keeping the vehicle in the middle of the lane by means of moderate steering interventions in a speed range from 0 – 125 mph (0 - 200 km/h).

Does that mean that no lane keeping functionality (active steering intervention or passive audible/visible alerts) is available for speeds less than 60km/h = 40mph (which is above city speed limits!) unless Distronic is activated?
In other words, is there a way to have any lane keeping alerts / assists (e.g. steering pilot) WITHOUT the automatic speed adjustment of DISTRONIC?

(ps. I have GLC300 2018 with IDP - Intelligent Drive Package = Active Blind Spot Assist; Active Lane Keeping Assist; Active Distance Assist DISTRONIC; Active Brake Assist w/ Cross-Traffic Function; Active Steering Assist; PRE-SAFE PLUS).
Old 01-04-2018, 06:40 AM

Received 57 Likes on 54 Posts
Mercedes-Ben GLC300 4Matic
Originally Posted by DrGH
* (Active) Lane Keeping Assist: This function is available in the range between 40 mph and 120 mph (60 km/h and 200 km/h).
whereas
* Distance Pilot DISTRONIC with Steering Pilot aids in keeping the vehicle in the middle of the lane by means of moderate steering interventions in a speed range from 0 – 125 mph (0 - 200 km/h).

Does that mean that no lane keeping functionality (active steering intervention or passive audible/visible alerts) is available for speeds less than 60km/h = 40mph (which is above city speed limits!) unless Distronic is activated?
In other words, is there a way to have any lane keeping alerts / assists (e.g. steering pilot) WITHOUT the automatic speed adjustment of DISTRONIC?

(ps. I have GLC300 2018 with IDP - Intelligent Drive Package = Active Blind Spot Assist; Active Lane Keeping Assist; Active Distance Assist DISTRONIC; Active Brake Assist w/ Cross-Traffic Function; Active Steering Assist; PRE-SAFE PLUS).
i get the thump thump thump on the steering wheel when i drift across lane lines at less than 40 mph. distronic not active
i have been pushed back into lane in the city, i dont believe i was above 40 (maybe 30 mph). distronic not active
Old 01-04-2018, 03:57 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
2017 GLC300, 13 PorscheC4S, 12 Porsche Cayman S
Originally Posted by DrGH
whereas

You are correct. Active steering assist does not work unless distronic is active. You will get lane keeping alerts from the passive system that vibrates the steering wheel and in certain cases slows the vehicle. This system does not cause any automated steering input.
Old 01-04-2018, 07:02 PM

Received 57 Likes on 54 Posts
Mercedes-Ben GLC300 4Matic
Originally Posted by Flubadub
You are correct. Active steering assist does not work unless distronic is active. You will get lane keeping alerts from the passive system that vibrates the steering wheel and in certain cases slows the vehicle. This system does not cause any automated steering input.
thats what happened to me i guess. it uses the brakes (on one side i think) and i think it slows the vehicle and "guides" the car back into the correct lane. i didn't realize it also actively turned the wheel on the highway. good to know thank you.