GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

Bluetooth Issues - Comand 2018

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-22-2018, 08:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLC 43 AMG Coupe
Bluetooth Issues - Comand 2018

On January 17th, I took delivery of my 2018 GLC 43 Coupe. Shortly thereafter, I discovered a problem with the hands-free calling functionality of the Comand system:

Incoming calls ring on the car’s speakers and the caller ID shows on the Comand screen. However, when I answer the call using the steering wheel button or the Comand controller, the audio terminates on the phone, not Comand. I.e., the audio plays on the phone speaker and does not play over the vehicle speakers.

Outgoing calls exhibit the same behaviour.

In both scenarios, when my phone is idle (i.e. no active calls) both Comand and the phone show that a Bluetooth connection between each other is active. Comand is able to access the phone book on the phone and retrieve both text messages and emails. Everything works as expected, with the exception of phone call audio.

I took it to the dealer and they did a bunch of testing with my phone (BlackBerry Passport) and several employee phones (a mix of iPhone and Android) and got the same results. They also tested with a 2018 C Class in the showroom and the behaviour was exactly the same as with my GLC.

The Comand software on my car is up to date. At this point, there is nothing the dealer can do other than open a ticket with Mercedes-Benz Engineering in Germany.

Since the problem occurs with BlackBerrys, iPhones, and Android phones on multiple 2018 (Canadian) vehicles, I shouldn’t be the only one out there experiencing this problem. However, I am the first customer the dealer has had complain about this.

I’m curious If anyone reading this has had this problem (and found a resolution).

Last edited by Merc_Nut; 01-22-2018 at 08:50 PM.
Old 01-22-2018, 09:13 PM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
2018 GLC 43 & 2014 SLK 350, gone 2016 E63 Wagon
I have a 2018 GLC43 SUV and have not experienced any issues with placing or answering calls using the steering wheel controls - audio comes through the vehicle speaker system every time. My phone (iPhone) is always in my pocket and bluetooth connection is always there. I have not tried retrieving texts or email while driving...too much distraction from my perspective and they can wait while I'm enjoying my GLC43. In my previous 2016 E63S wagon I experienced the same functionality - audio always through the sound system.
Old 01-24-2018, 11:22 AM

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
'17 BMW X3, '18 GLC300 4Matic
Originally Posted by Tylbran
I have a 2018 GLC43 SUV and have not experienced any issues with placing or answering calls using the steering wheel controls - audio comes through the vehicle speaker system every time. My phone (iPhone) is always in my pocket and bluetooth connection is always there. I have not tried retrieving texts or email while driving...too much distraction from my perspective and they can wait while I'm enjoying my GLC43. In my previous 2016 E63S wagon I experienced the same functionality - audio always through the sound system.
l’ve had the same experience as tylbran with my 2018 GLC 300 on my iPhone, so I don’t think there’s anything inherently wrong with the 2018 Comand system. Sounds like a setting is wrong somewhere, but it is odd your dealer had the same problem on another car in the showroom. I don’t think MB is shipping out cars with BT problems, so maybe opening a ticket with them will get you an answer. My bet is on a setting rather than the Comand not working with BT on multiple cars.