GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

Anybody else make this mistake?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-27-2018, 12:32 PM

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
'17 BMW X3, '18 GLC300 4Matic
Originally Posted by Brian Delcavo
In addition I’m not a huge car guy. I’m ok with not having 20 inch rims , amg package ect. So it’s not something I would pick up on personally unless driving at night. Although now I notice every led light I see on the road lol. If I was a salesperson I would show the two cars side by side lights on and it’s an easy upsell. I would of happily paid up for them. I chalk it up to a learning experience. I won’t make the same mistake again although I bet the next time I’m doing this led lights are standard here in the USA so it’ll be a non issue. Thanks!
Your mistake makes perfect sense, Brian. Lots of buyers are not huge car guys/gals and depend on some guidance when buying a car. And I wanted to clarify that I was not trying to be mean to you, particularly given your disappointment, but reminding readers who are often potential buyers, that they need to be careful when doing their homework. I think everyone on these forums would agree with you that salesmen fall woefully short in pointing out features that buyers may consider important. But in their defense, they can’t actually get in each buyers head and know what’s important to them. Much less know how much emphasis to put on the myriad options available on the several lines of luxury cars they sell.

I hope one one of the many options members have thrown out will help you. While maybe not ideal, they might make it a little easier to enjoy your new GLC. Good luck! And let us know if you wind up trying an aftermarket LED upgrade that helps.
Old 01-27-2018, 08:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 263 Likes on 207 Posts
C450, GLC43
Originally Posted by Icemaster
Personally I think the mistake is in opting for the $850 upcharge for lighting that could be matched for far less $$$ with aftermarket components. Like in the range of $775 savings. If you're not into basic wrenching on your car, I get it - it's a 'what's it worth to you' question, ultimately. For less than $100 I popped aftermarket LED elements into the high and low beam sockets and achieved the same result.

There's also someone in the Marketplace here IIRC who sells both HID and LED conversion kits for a fraction of the cost of checking that option box. To each their own. I do agree it's beyond pathetic that a car in this market category would have basic halogen bulbs as a standard, but knowing how inexpensively I could remedy that wasnt going to kill the deal for me.

Nope. The drop in bulbs are not even close. I have used high quality drop ins to upgrade the fogs on previous vehicles. Without properly designed projector housings the light is very diffuse and lacks adequate throw (distance projection) for use at speed. The drop in LEDs work just fine for short range illumination like fogs and driving lights but they are inadequate for use as primary headlamps unless the entire headlamp assembly is upgraded.
Old 01-27-2018, 10:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2018 GLC300 4Matic
Originally Posted by Mr. J
Nope. The drop in bulbs are not even close. I have used high quality drop ins to upgrade the fogs on previous vehicles. Without properly designed projector housings the light is very diffuse and lacks adequate throw (distance projection) for use at speed. The drop in LEDs work just fine for short range illumination like fogs and driving lights but they are inadequate for use as primary headlamps unless the entire headlamp assembly is upgraded.
So you're the one driving my car while I'm out of town eh? Glad you did, otherwise your claim wouldn't have any roots beyond your experience with fogs. So what have you dropped into your GLC to give an apples to apples? Don't think we can apply that here since, well, no fogs.

Look, I just handed back a loaner GLC300 I used while I was traveling that had the ALS. I drove more nights than days and frankly, other than the adaptive & hi/low piece I didn't see much difference in throw, diffusion, clarity, hotspots (or not), and illumination overall than what I have in with my modified set at home. Point being nothing more than what I've done works for me, whatever you do is your business, it's your money - you want to pay and drive vs. plug and play, whatever man.

Little advice, don't make absolute claims unless you're absolutely certain of all the facts.
Old 01-28-2018, 01:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 263 Likes on 207 Posts
C450, GLC43
Originally Posted by Icemaster
So you're the one driving my car while I'm out of town eh? Glad you did, otherwise your claim wouldn't have any roots beyond your experience with fogs. So what have you dropped into your GLC to give an apples to apples? Don't think we can apply that here since, well, no fogs.

Look, I just handed back a loaner GLC300 I used while I was traveling that had the ALS. I drove more nights than days and frankly, other than the adaptive & hi/low piece I didn't see much difference in throw, diffusion, clarity, hotspots (or not), and illumination overall than what I have in with my modified set at home. Point being nothing more than what I've done works for me, whatever you do is your business, it's your money - you want to pay and drive vs. plug and play, whatever man.

Little advice, don't make absolute claims unless you're absolutely certain of all the facts.

Claim whatever you want. It's still bogus.

There are no drop in LEDs that can be fitted into a halogen reflector housing that will offer performance on par with factory LEDs. Additionally, all the drop in bulbs out there are barely sufficient to replace stock halogens while many of them offer inferior performance to the halogens they would replace. Most LED drop ins are significantly outperformed by hi output halogens like Silverstars, Osram Nightbreakers, and such when both are used in the stock halogen reflector housings.

Placing a LED emitter in a halogen housing provides plenty of bright light (and glare for oncoming vehicles) at close distances while failing to provide sufficient throw for highway driving. This is not my opinion, it is fact. Look at the reflector/projector designs for purpose built led systems and compare them to what you see for halogens. They are engineered differently because the sources have different properties. Reflector and/or projector design are just as important as the light source.
Old 01-28-2018, 01:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 160 Likes on 151 Posts
2016 GLC300 Dakota Brown on Espresso Brown Leather, 2014 C250 Sport Diamond Silver
+1
Old 01-29-2018, 01:26 PM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
2016 GLC 300
Mr J is correct.

I posted a similar comment on another thread. I retrofitted into a halogen Acura MDX and they were bright, but a giant orb of brightness to oncoming drivers...3 yrs of folks flashing me ensued.