GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

Anybody else make this mistake?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-23-2018, 09:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
glc
Anybody else make this mistake?

Ok so got a new 2018 GLC. Very happy with the car overall. I am disappointed with myself for not looking into the LED light package more ahead of time. I only test drove during the day. Regardless I ended up with stock lights. I did reach out to my dealer who seemed to think that this would cost a lot of money for me to trade in and get the led package and night package.
More than the 2200 it would have cost me the first time around, but how much more I’m wondering. Anybody else go through a similiar thing? Did you have Any luck with a “swap”? 1k miles on the car now.
I’m afraid I’m going to have to live with this mistake for a while. Not for nothing but the standard headlights should be some sort of LED in my opinion.
Old 01-23-2018, 03:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 184 Likes on 151 Posts
GLC 300d 4matic
Ouch......that is a mistake! !
Intelligent LEDs come as standard here, but if they didn’t I would definitely fork out for them.

No easy solution to the dilemma. Maybe waiting for the next facelift is an option.
Old 01-23-2018, 05:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 301 Likes on 190 Posts
GLC 450
LED'S are standard in the UK but the intelligent ones are an option.
Old 01-23-2018, 07:24 PM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
2018 GLC 43 & 2014 SLK 350, gone 2016 E63 Wagon
It is not standard equipment in Canada and there is no way I would have ordered by 2018 GLC43 with the LED package! The system is way better than the standard halogens or HID's. I ordered my previous 2016 E63s wagon with performance LED's since they represented the latest headlight technology and I certainly agree I would never purchase another vehicle without the technology. Maybe they will be standard in future models.
Old 01-23-2018, 08:47 PM

Received 57 Likes on 54 Posts
Mercedes-Ben GLC300 4Matic
Originally Posted by decorily
Ouch......that is a mistake! !
Intelligent LEDs come as standard here, but if they didn’t I would definitely fork out for them.

No easy solution to the dilemma. Maybe waiting for the next facelift is an option.
I read somewhere here you can buy new bulbs and get a nice white light which helps visibility and the light color nicer as well
Old 01-23-2018, 10:48 PM

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts
GLC43, GTI, X3, Mazda3
Originally Posted by ajmtbm
I read somewhere here you can buy new bulbs and get a nice white light which helps visibility and the light color nicer as well
Correct...see this post: https://mbworld.org/forums/glc-class...amg-glc43.html
Old 01-24-2018, 12:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 263 Likes on 207 Posts
C450, GLC43
Originally Posted by Brian Delcavo
Ok so got a new 2018 GLC. Very happy with the car overall. I am disappointed with myself for not looking into the LED light package more ahead of time. I only test drove during the day. Regardless I ended up with stock lights. I did reach out to my dealer who seemed to think that this would cost a lot of money for me to trade in and get the led package and night package.
More than the 2200 it would have cost me the first time around, but how much more I’m wondering. Anybody else go through a similiar thing? Did you have Any luck with a “swap”? 1k miles on the car now.
I’m afraid I’m going to have to live with this mistake for a while. Not for nothing but the standard headlights should be some sort of LED in my opinion.

If it's a lease you're out of luck for the lease term. If you bought it start researching retrofitting options. LED and HID kits are starting to hit the market for our vehicles. It definitely helps that MB is using the same headlamp config across multiple platforms.
Old 01-24-2018, 08:07 AM

glc
Thanks for the reply’s. So the dealer put together numbers for me it would cost about 10k to get out of my GLC and into another one. Needless to say that’s not going to happen. Maybe I’ll change the bulbs out down the line but for now I’m stuck. Only last thing I thought of was to try to talk to mbusa customer service? I’m sure there’s nothing they can do but maybe they can make my car a mb service vehicle. Doubt it. For anybody looking at new glc in USA don’t do what I did and make sure you are getting the upgraded led light package.
Old 01-24-2018, 02:48 PM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
2020 GLC 300 4Matic - Brilliant Blue/Black MB Tex, Premium Pkg, Multimedia Pkg,Parking & Driver Asst
Originally Posted by Brian Delcavo
Thanks for the reply’s. So the dealer put together numbers for me it would cost about 10k to get out of my GLC and into another one. Needless to say that’s not going to happen. Maybe I’ll change the bulbs out down the line but for now I’m stuck. Only last thing I thought of was to try to talk to mbusa customer service? I’m sure there’s nothing they can do but maybe they can make my car a mb service vehicle. Doubt it. For anybody looking at new glc in USA don’t do what I did and make sure you are getting the upgraded led light package.
Coming from a car that had xenon HID's, I knew that the LED's were a must have. I really wanted the intelligent system, but for 2017 it was bundled in a ridiculously expensive Premium 3 package. So I spent the $850 and got the standard LED's. I think that's a very reasonable price to pay. To each their own, but I can never understand why someone doesn't at least get the high performance LED's for that small amount of money on a premium vehicle. Retrofitting is rarely cheaper than getting it originally from the factory.

No offense, but I can't imagine why MBUSA would do anything to assist. It's not a lemon, and they are not going to force their dealerships to purchase your car back because you're not happy with the specs that you should have been aware of. My advice would be to either live with them as is, or change out the bulbs. I've seen a thread in here where someone did it, and from the pictures it looked like an improvement.
Old 01-24-2018, 05:11 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
GLC 300
I almost made the same mistake. Was ready to pick up my car on a friday a few months ago and all lease paperwork and insurance was done. I went over the night before just to double check everything because I had a sixth sense about the lighting and also wanted to be sure of the color. I totally assumed that the GLC would have Xenons at the very least and possibly LED. Never occurred to me that it wouldn't but I couldn't find anything on the build sheet. I have had Xenon or LED on every car since my 2001 Acura TL so there was no way my 2018 would have halogen. I got there just before dark and my salesman let me start it up and look it over... I was crushed! My stomach fell as I knew it was a deal breaker and was so excited and ready to pick it up the next day.(My first MB)! Spent a couple hours there and fortunately found a different color car with LED and a few other options and was able to change the deal that night and still pick it up friday. Was a few thousand more but totally worth it for the LED and the extra options I got.
Old 01-24-2018, 10:49 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
GLC 300 4Matic, Sport+Night
I also opted for the $850 option. I wouldn't even consider the GLC without it -- it's a major visual differentiating upgrade. It'as easy to add when you're building it, but most buyers probably buy off the lot -- not sure why 1) MB doesn't offer this as standard -- why even bother to make two headlight modules -- just make one. Acuras and even a Toyota Corolla comes standard with LED headlights. If not, if I were a dealership, I would order 100% of my cars with LEDs. It's an easy sell to the customer at $850 -- just show the buyer and she/he will understand the benefits (brightness, cool arch DRL, blinker, tail lights, etc).
Old 01-24-2018, 11:21 PM

2018 GLC 43 AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by Tylbran
It is not standard equipment in Canada and there is no way I would have ordered by 2018 GLC43 with the LED package! The system is way better than the standard halogens or HID's. I ordered my previous 2016 E63s wagon with performance LED's since they represented the latest headlight technology and I certainly agree I would never purchase another vehicle without the technology. Maybe they will be standard in future models.
My glc43 coupe standard equipment in Canada says LED high performance lighting system under standard equipment. Active led is the package.

I opted to not go with the active led package since it was either that in a glc300 or without it in the 43amg (I took the Amg). Are you saying my headlights won't be led?
Old 01-25-2018, 06:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 301 Likes on 190 Posts
GLC 450
Originally Posted by Sfarrell0719
My glc43 coupe standard equipment in Canada says LED high performance lighting system under standard equipment. Active led is the package.

I opted to not go with the active led package since it was either that in a glc300 or without it in the 43amg (I took the Amg). Are you saying my headlights won't be led?
I would speak to your dealer, they will be able to tell you.
Old 01-25-2018, 12:28 PM

2018 GLC 43 AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by Philamg
Fired off an email this morning. Will post with reply.
Old 01-25-2018, 08:55 PM

The LED performance lighting is part of the standard equipment for the GLC43 SUV and Coupe. If you want the adaptive LED you need to pay $900 in Canada. This applies to both the SUV or Coupe version fo the GLC43. It's well worth the extra for the automatic feature - works perfectly.
Old 01-25-2018, 09:39 PM

2018 GLC 43 AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by Tylbran
The LED performance lighting is part of the standard equipment for the GLC43 SUV and Coupe. If you want the adaptive LED you need to pay $900 in Canada. This applies to both the SUV or Coupe version fo the GLC43. It's well worth the extra for the automatic feature - works perfectly.
Thats exactly what u was thinking. I still get led lights, they just aren't adaptive. I'm in Canada.
Old 01-25-2018, 10:46 PM

2018 GLC300 4Matic
Personally I think the mistake is in opting for the $850 upcharge for lighting that could be matched for far less $$$ with aftermarket components. Like in the range of $775 savings. If you're not into basic wrenching on your car, I get it - it's a 'what's it worth to you' question, ultimately. For less than $100 I popped aftermarket LED elements into the high and low beam sockets and achieved the same result.

There's also someone in the Marketplace here IIRC who sells both HID and LED conversion kits for a fraction of the cost of checking that option box. To each their own. I do agree it's beyond pathetic that a car in this market category would have basic halogen bulbs as a standard, but knowing how inexpensively I could remedy that wasnt going to kill the deal for me.
Old 01-26-2018, 07:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 184 Likes on 151 Posts
GLC 300d 4matic
Originally Posted by Icemaster
Personally I think the mistake is in opting for the $850 upcharge for lighting that could be matched for far less $$$ with aftermarket components. Like in the range of $775 savings.
I doubt it! !
Old 01-26-2018, 09:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 160 Likes on 151 Posts
2016 GLC300 Dakota Brown on Espresso Brown Leather, 2014 C250 Sport Diamond Silver
After market led bulbs do not work well in headlight reflectors designed for Halogen. The best option is the factory LEDs whether it is the 850.00 basic upgrade or if you are willing to spending the Money the ILS system. I have the ILS. It is outstanding. Worth every penny I paid extra for it.
Old 01-26-2018, 03:06 PM

2018 GLC300 4Matic
Well, yeah...an ideal would be using it as it was designed however there are perfectly workable alternatives on the market for significantly less money that are as good as, or better, than factory. Like I said, it's a personal preference - do what you will. My perspective, it's the same mindset as paying ~$600 for a trailer hitch that after market cost $125 new. To me, that's the same mindset as only using OEM filters, plugs or brake pads because, well they were DESIGNED to work with my car. Tell that to K&N, or Fram, or Anco, or any number of other parts manufacturers.

It's your money, spend it how you wish. I don't see a basis for complaining about MB lightening your wallet when you willingly hand it to them.
Old 01-26-2018, 03:11 PM

2018 GLC 43 AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by Philamg
Dealer confirms led lights are standard in Canada. Adaptive are not.
Old 01-26-2018, 06:59 PM

You may be able to add aftermarket LED’s but I doubt that you can add the active feature along with it. Well worth the extra dollars unless you only want LED’s.
Old 01-26-2018, 11:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GLC300
Some guy over at the W205 section has done such a swap. See thread below:

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...ransplant.html
Old 01-27-2018, 01:43 AM

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
'17 BMW X3, '18 GLC300 4Matic
The elephant in the room here is, with all the information available at your fingertips (literally), was this a mistake or a decision? Most of the negative comments I’ve read on this thread and others about LEDS revolve around the cost of just the LED upgrade or the jump to the LED ILS system. And it’s great members are offering solutions to help ease the pain of the OP’s “mistake”, but it seems most of those workarounds were done because the people offering them up DECIDED not to spend the money on LED’S.

My guess is the biggest “mistake” GLC buyers make is assuming (rightfully) that all GLC’s have parking sensors because the bumpers have what appear to be sensors in them. Not to mention, much less expensive cars come standard with them now. Imagine the surprise when after they’ve bought their car (or even worse, their special order car comes in) and the “sensors” don’t work because they didn’t get Parktronic! I ALMOST made that mistake.

Anyway, as always, it’s on the buyer to do his/her homework when building their car on the configurator and read all the reviews and videos you can. There are some awesome videos on the LED ILS system. For instance, while the Head Up Display is cool, I decided I didn’t need/want it and it wasn’t worth it for how and where I drive. And I agree with Dieseldoc, the LED ILS is worth every penny I paid for it.

Old 01-27-2018, 09:19 AM

glc
Thanks for the reply’s. This is some great advice to try to fix this. I went to the dealer to see what they can do. They wrote me an offer for 7k less than what I paid 20 days ago. So yeah that’s off the table and might be shopping elsewhere going forward. The whole experience was lackluster.
I’m not blaming MB or the dealer. I read reviews I watched videos and played around on their website. Every video I whatched picture I saw featured led lights. Which makes sense now bc a lot of them were from reviewers in the u.k and the led lights are standard there so no one mentioned it as a “must have option” .
In addition I’m not a huge car guy. I’m ok with not having 20 inch rims , amg package ect. So it’s not something I would pick up on personally unless driving at night. Although now I notice every led light I see on the road lol. If I was a salesperson I would show the two cars side by side lights on and it’s an easy upsell. I would of happily paid up for them. I chalk it up to a learning experience. I won’t make the same mistake again although I bet the next time I’m doing this led lights are standard here in the USA so it’ll be a non issue. Thanks!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Anybody else make this mistake?