GLC 300 4matic Steering vibration after brakes and tires fixed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-26-2018, 09:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLC 300
GLC 300 4matic Steering vibration after brakes and tires fixed

Update 2.7.18
Brought car back today. They felt the slight vibration aver 70 mph. Shop foreman thinks the second set of new tires might still have a defect (or at least one of them). The rear left seems out of balance. Why are these tires always out of balance is my question. Is it the car or really the tire? He says he has replaced car tires 4 times on someone's car before. Do they really make tires like **** these days? They claim suspension, bearings, bushings etc were all checked. I'll keep you posted.

Hi,
I purchased my GLC 300 4matic in May 2017 (in Massachusetts US). It's a 2017 model. Within 6 months, I took the car back to fix the squeaking brakes, which they admitted is a known issue. They fixed them, but when I got the car back, the steering was shaking badly on the highway. Took car back and they said they replaced the rotators and they road force tested it, and in addition, told me that I had 2 bad Pirelli tires. They replaced them, but it did not solve the issue. Shop foreman thinks I am nuts. The steering vibration feels like a bad alignment, but I am not an expert. I took the car to a different dealership and their foreman felt it. THey kept the car and figured it was the tires, so they replaced them all, free of charge from Pirelli to Continentals (run flats). Honest to God, it's still happening, although very slight. My car was 100% perfect until they messed with the brakes. Has anyone else had this experience, or any guess what it could be? They said they ran all diagnostics. Could it be the cold weather? I am so bummed out- as I loved my car until now.

Last edited by Carmbos; 02-07-2018 at 06:21 PM. Reason: Update
Old 01-26-2018, 10:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLC300 4matic
Originally Posted by Carmbos
Hi,
I purchased my GLC 300 4matic in May 2017 (in Massachusetts US). It's a 2017 model. Within 6 months, I took the car back to fix the squeaking brakes, which they admitted is a known issue. They fixed them, but when I got the car back, the steering was shaking badly on the highway. Took car back and they said they replaced the rotators and they road force tested it, and in addition, told me that I had 2 bad Pirelli tires. They replaced them, but it did not solve the issue. Shop foreman thinks I am nuts. The steering vibration feels like a bad alignment, but I am not an expert. I took the car to a different dealership and their foreman felt it. THey kept the car and figured it was the tires, so they replaced them all, free of charge from Pirelli to Continentals (run flats). Honest to God, it's still happening, although very slight. My car was 100% perfect until they messed with the brakes. Has anyone else had this experience, or any guess what it could be? They said they ran all diagnostics. Could it be the cold weather? I am so bummed out- as I loved my car until now.
Does it vibrate over highway expansion joints or all the time. We had the issue as referenced in this forum where the wheel would vibrate over bumps at highway speeds but resolved with a steering software update. Solved the vibration immediately.
Old 01-26-2018, 10:21 PM

GLC 300

Originally Posted by asmedbeats
Does it vibrate over highway expansion joints or all the time. We had the issue as referenced in this forum where the wheel would vibrate over bumps at highway speeds but resolved with a steering software update. Solved the vibration immediately.
it does it consistently, not just over rough roads. I asked if they looked at steering software updates and they said they did. Do you have details I can share with them
The following users liked this post:
bethellen626 (06-12-2024)
Old 01-27-2018, 02:34 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Mercedes GLE 350d 4Matic
I've had similar problem and it was from the tyres balance. The vibrations could be felt in a very specific speed segment, between 90 snd 110 km/h, especially when braking. If you feel it all the time I don't think it's from the tyres.
Old 01-27-2018, 11:49 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2017 GLC 300 4Matic
I have this problem but only when going over road imperfections at higher speeds. They said they "fixed" it by replacing one bad tire (road force test) and doing alignment. I can however still feel the steering vibrate when going over imperfections/bumps/creases at high speeds..See my post in the Wheel Vibration thread. Another poster suggested that a software update fixed it somewhat. I am yet to take it back in again and ask for the software update...I have "schedule service" fatigue for a new car.
Old 08-20-2018, 05:53 PM

BMW X3
I have the similar/same issue after 1 and half year driving the car. The steering vibration is occurring on 110km/h+, I can feel it especially cruise at high speed.
Old 08-21-2018, 01:39 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
GLC300
https://mbworld.org/forums/glc-class...umps-road.html

Might be related.

gh