RF Tires. Real life experience.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-16-2018, 06:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 139 Posts
2018 GLC 4MATIC
Originally Posted by openwheelracing
Is there a spare tire we can buy that fits under the rear cargo? It doesn't have to be OEM right?
I wish to know it too, but my dealer's answer was NO.
I saw some pictures of spare which doesn't feet under the cover so it looks overfull and probably rattles.
Old 02-16-2018, 06:48 PM

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
2017 GLC43
Originally Posted by DanD.
I wish to know it too, but my dealer's answer was NO.
I saw some pictures of spare which doesn't feet under the cover so it looks overfull and probably rattles.
It's a huge can o' worms depending on what size wheels you have, and what underfloor module you have in the rear. If you have a spare few hours have a read here: https://mbworld.org/forums/glc-class...e-options.html
Old 02-16-2018, 07:36 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
GLC 250D
Is there a spare tire we can buy that fits under the rear cargo? It doesn't have to be OEM right?
No, but it has to fit the vehicle and AFAIK only MB make thin wheels that do. Read this thread:

https://mbworld.org/forums/glc-class-x253/661808-glc-spare-tire-options.html

Some people have managed to get a second-hand emergency spare from another MB SUV to fit under the rear cargo, but not everyone. It depends what electronics you have under there.
Old 02-18-2018, 04:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 151 Likes on 125 Posts
2016 GLC 250d AMG pack, 2017 GLC Coupe 250d AMG pack , 2002 BMW 330Ci convertible, 2021 BMX X1 sD20i
I have RFT on my GLC now for 2 years. Never had RFT before and never not had a spare Tyre in the boot. So lots of intrepidation on my part.
Our Coupe has normal tyres and yes, no spare Tyre. Also no jack, wheel brace in either car, a worry.
I have purchase wheel jack and brace, Tyre 4x4 repair kit for both cars and an air pump for wagon. Coupe has can goo, has a 5 year shelf life and is $200au to replace, ouch.
I have had 2 x flats in 42000km, one at 7000km on new Tyre and one at 8000km on new tyres too !
No flats in 13000km with normal tyres.
Prices for normal Vs run flats about $70 - $100 difference for each Tyre.
Active Tyre pressure warning system essential, not fitted to our cars, only warning, not actual live data. I have fitted after market to valve stems, found Chinese supplier who offers OEM integrated Tyre unit with inserts for each rim and integration with Comand Syst. Will look at buying and have fitted.
I had played around changing my 20” rims for 17” or 18” rims with normal tyres and buy a spare Tyre, either OEM that fits on boot floor or source another MB space saver from another model that might fit under boot lid, yes depends on electronics in boot that restrict fitting internal Tyre. Other concern is voiding my insurance if not “approved” rim and bolts ?
Biggest concern is in this country, even in Capital cities, there can be a week to several months delay in sourcing replacement tyres. I have kept my old casings as emergency back up, even though brand and pattern different; allows me to swap 2 to run on same axle and not muck up 4Matic until new Tyre sourced.
Hope this helps.

Last edited by Teckno; 02-18-2018 at 04:06 AM. Reason: Spell
Old 02-18-2018, 10:06 AM

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
Mercedes-Ben GLC300 4Matic
Originally Posted by Teckno

I have had 2 x flats in 42000km, one at 7000km on new Tyre and one at 8000km on new tyres too !
No flats in 13000km with normal tyres.
were you able to repair the two flats? especially the one at 7000km
Old 02-18-2018, 03:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 GLC 250d AMG pack, 2017 GLC Coupe 250d AMG pack , 2002 BMW 330Ci convertible, 2021 BMX X1 sD20i
Yes Pirelli and Goodyear’s were repaired with mushrooms.
TPMS gave early alarm, so was able to make sure drove inflated, slow leak with screws in middle of each Tyre , not near sidewalls. I eventually kept Pirelli as back up spare and had opportunity to replace it with Tyre Ins.
Old 02-19-2018, 10:33 PM

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts
2017 GLC 300
Got the word from my SA today - time for new tires on my 2017 GLC 300 4MATIC. The OEM Continentals have gone 35,000 miles. I haven't had any problems with them puncture or wear-wise. They are smooth and silent on good roads but the ride and noise on bad roads is more than I want to endure the next time around. The selection of RF tires for the 18" wheels is very limited - a total of 4, and that's if you count the Continental "H" and "V" versions as two different tires, so I am working up the courage to go the non-RFT route. I drive a lot of miles and haven't had a flat in over 20 years so I think the odds are in my favor. Right now I am leaning toward the MICHELIN DEFENDER T+H and a can of goo.
Old 02-19-2018, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by ChinaBob
Got the word from my SA today - time for new tires on my 2017 GLC 300 4MATIC. The OEM Continentals have gone 35,000 miles. I haven't had any problems with them puncture or wear-wise. They are smooth and silent on good roads but the ride and noise on bad roads is more than I want to endure the next time around. The selection of RF tires for the 18" wheels is very limited - a total of 4, and that's if you count the Continental "H" and "V" versions as two different tires, so I am working up the courage to go the non-RFT route. I drive a lot of miles and haven't had a flat in over 20 years so I think the odds are in my favor. Right now I am leaning toward the MICHELIN DEFENDER T+H and a can of goo.
seen somewhere else on this site, michelin provides 3 years free towing to an authorized repair shop in case of a flat, further improving your chances of not having an issue. add goo on top of that and you seem to be in fine shape
please provide feedback on your choice, i toon hate the limited selection and have seen others have been very positive about the switch to non-RFT
though Michelins seem to be a bit higher price than others, the free roadside may help my wife convince this is an ok way to go when its time for me to choose
Old 02-20-2018, 12:17 PM

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
2015 C300, 2015 F-350 Platinum, 1969 Mach 1 428cj, 2007 Roadking
Make sure the goo you get is tpms compatible.
Old 02-20-2018, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by mikbar2
Make sure the goo you get is tpms compatible.
any idea how much for an OEM TIREFIT Kit

there is a genuine BMW factory kit for about $150 on amazon. if teh MB one is a couple hundred bucks or less probably worth it and no worries
Old 02-21-2018, 12:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Kit from memory was ridiculous expensive, AU $200 for goo bottle and AU$400 ? For air compressor that goo bottle fits into from memory.
Goo bottles have a use by date, be careful not expired. Not sure if best before or use by, may mean chemical reaction may not work ? Pump will be fine, they are good.
see is a parts wrecker or exchange business has any from cars that have been cut up. Air compressor is nearly same across models, only difference is connector on bottle and hose.

Last edited by Teckno; 02-21-2018 at 12:12 AM. Reason: word
Old 02-21-2018, 01:04 AM

GLC 250D
If you read the spare tyre thread you will see that there are two versions of the MB Tirefit kit - the version that only fits the super expensive MB compressor, and the version that fits any portable compressor. Not sure how readily available the second version is.
Old 02-22-2018, 06:59 PM

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts
2017 GLC 300
Spent a day or two reading all the tire reviews and ended up getting the Michelin Premier A/S. My reasoning, in no particular order:

- My top priorities are road noise and ride comfort and the A/S tops both categories

- Tread wear: Michelin warrants them for 60,000 miles, Consumer Reports says they should go to 85, but they were testing on Toyota pickups so YMMV.

- I've been partial to asymmetrical tread tires since the 1970s when I had Michelin XAS's on my BMWs. The concept makes a lot of sense to me because it stands to reason that forces on the tire from one side to the other will be different, especially on all independent suspension and AWD cars, and the ideal design would take that into account. (Frankly, I am surprised that there aren't more asymmetrical tires out there.) And of course Michelin has refined their tires quite a lot in the last 45 years, featuring, among other things, "expanding rain grooves [that] widen and emerging grooves [that] open as the tire wears to maintain traction."

I got the tires put on this afternoon, driving off just as a snowstorm was beginning so I haven't driven them far. Initial impressions on the short ride home are that these tires are indeed quieter and smoother riding than the OEM Continentals but any definitive judgments will have to wait.

PS I've decided to forego both the goo and the spare, at least for the time being. Between Michelin's promise to tow the car to a Michelin dealer of my choice within 150 miles, the tire dealer's promise to fix flats for free anywhere in the USA, and M-B's Roadside Assistance program I think I am covered. I hope.

Last edited by ChinaBob; 02-22-2018 at 07:04 PM. Reason: Readability
The following users liked this post:
jimbobboy (02-26-2018)
Old 02-25-2018, 08:59 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 Mercedes GLK350 4Matic in White
Confused...

Up here in Canada there were no km warranty on the brand new RF Pirelli Scorpion all-seasons but a buy in option for full replacement/emergency service which I took as a precaution. I think it was 6 years. So even if I change the tires due to wear, they are still covered. So whether they stripped the cost off the car to only pad it on later as an option...who knows. Never read the fine print though (hands being slapped) so maybe any replacement might be same brand/size/quality. In terms of ride quality though...I found my 20" Pirelli Scorpions (non RF) on my old GLK to be less noisy and firm compared to the 19" RF versions on my new GLC. But not so much as to bother me in day-to-day driving.
Old 02-25-2018, 06:59 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
2015 C300 4MATIC / 2017 C43 AMG
Bad experience

The factory tires only lasted 16k miles with unspirited, casual driving; I found out the fun way that Pirelli factory-equipped tires have a 0 mile warranty. They ride rough (on CA roads... it was often jolting), don’t inspire confidence, but to their credit, they were serviceable in light snow. I put Michelin Premier tires on it and haven’t looked back since.
Old 02-25-2018, 11:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 GLC 4MATIC
Thank you all for very helpful information. I think at this time because of RF and no good option for spare and no-RF, I will keep looking, and maybe go with GLE or other brand.
Old 02-26-2018, 01:17 AM

Passing on a refined, versatile, agile, fun suv... based on the manufacturer’s choice of oe tires? Mmmk...

In any case, youroptions are-
1) Buy a spare wheel and tire, keep in trunk;
2) Buy a space saver spare (or one from an older ML) that will fit under the cargo area;
3) get real tires, and buy inflator and sealant for $40;
4) Get a AAA membership;
5) Get a different (read: inferior ) vehicle due to a perceived “lack of options.”
Old 02-26-2018, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by MariTheBoss
Passing on a refined, versatile, agile, fun suv... based on the manufacturer’s choice of oe tires? Mmmk...

2) Buy a space saver spare (or one from an older ML) that will fit under the cargo area;
4) Get a AAA membership;
5) Get a different (read: inferior ) vehicle due to a perceived “lack of options.”
what does AAA do if you don't have a spare? tow you somewhere?
Old 02-26-2018, 10:04 AM

Yep. What percentage of people who drive these vehicles would even change the tire if they got a flat? My guess is the vast majority of owners would either call MB roadside or AAA to get it towed to a tire shop. For the obligatory “Well, how dare you, I live xxx miles away from a dealership/tire shop,” I guess rft with their 50 mile limit wouldn’t help you much either then, ey?
Old 02-26-2018, 11:48 AM

Received 86 Likes on 80 Posts
16 GLC 19 Volvo XC40 06Corvette Z06

4) Get a AAA membership;
None of the above necessary if your vehicle is equipped with extended mobility tires. If suffering a puncture, simply continue driving on to the next tire shop. Further, the 50 mile limit does not mean you cannot continue on. It means that driving beyond 50 miles reduces the likelihood the tire can be repaired.
Old 02-26-2018, 02:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 GLC 4MATIC

4) Get a AAA membership;
Number 1 and 2 are not an options, they takes a cargo space, which is not large to begin with.
And ML spare doesn't fir properly under the cover, I saw some posts her.
I would prefer to install spare vs waiting for help.

To me going with RF tires to me is sacrifice daily comfort and extra cost for maybe a chance to get to a tire shop with clean hands. )
Not worth to me in this case.
Old 02-26-2018, 03:07 PM

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
GLC
So none of the space saver spares would fit under the floor?

This sucks. I just saw the X3 has a $150 option for spare tire. Very smart move on their part. These runflat tires suck compared to Michilin Premier AS, especially at the rate they are wearing.
Old 02-26-2018, 04:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 GLC 4MATIC
So none of the space saver spares would fit under the floor?

This sucks. I just saw the X3 has a $150 option for spare tire. Very smart move on their part. These runflat tires suck compared to Michilin Premier AS, especially at the rate they are wearing.
Agreed, BMW gives you an option. I believe between spare and tools its more that 150$.
Old 02-26-2018, 11:14 PM

GLC 250D
Originally Posted by larrypmyers
Further, the 50 mile limit does not mean you cannot continue on. It means that driving beyond 50 miles reduces the likelihood the tire can be repaired.
Is there a source for this Larry? Surely you can't drive on the sidewalls indefinitely? There must be a limit? I assumed that the 50 miles / 80kms was it. Perhaps MB is specifying a conservative one, so there may be a little wriggle room, but surely not all that much.

IIRC, BMW specify twice the distance for theirs. I seem to recall my dealer telling me that MB tyres have less because they wanted to improve the ride. If that's true, the mind boggles what the ride would have been like with BMW style-tyres. But it also must mean that the limit means something.

Also, I'd like to moderate some of my views slightly. I'm far from home at present, driving on the roads of southern Arizona. We foreigners know that the US is the land of the auto, but driving around here really rams it home. On these big, wide, mostly smooth roads (full of huge 4x4 pick-ups), I can well imagine RFT not being much of a problem. But not all the world is like this ......
Old 02-27-2018, 04:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Been thinking this through for a while !
Our fear is based on older teck and lack of modern resources.
The old Tyre issue was get a flat, even though slow leak, stop car, jack up, replace Tyre with spare, and on we go......
New run flats reduce need to stop and replace Tyre.
Issue is how many of our old style tyres actually go flat quickly ? Most tyres stay up for a while as the nail or screw creates a seal, not perfectly.
We now have TPMS as new teck , or if not real time unit, fit an aftermarket one that tells us live temp and pressure. It alarms when heat build up or pressure loss, you set upper and lower alarm points.
With use now of new good quality small air pumps, like Michelin pump, we can stop, pump up to say 10psi over normal setting and head off again.
By maintaining psi at or above normal setting, then you can drive for 100’ km, with no sidewall damage as Tyre is fully supported.
You may we’ll be able to have Tyre repaired if you have not run on sidewall at sub safety psi levels.
Yes you could take Tyre off if you had a jack and plug hole with 4x4 repair kit, but you will need your muscles !!!! To ram home the plug.
At this stage I am still thinking of staying with my new generation Goodyear Eagle Sport, All Season RFT as they seem to handle well, may get much higher travel distances and has minimal or no juddering / Tyre scrubbing.
Again Tyre rotation and wheel align will extend Tyre life, as will finding a psi setting that meets your driving style, say somewhere between 32 psi to 40 psi. I run at 36 psi.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: RF Tires. Real life experience.