Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-14-2018, 11:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 139 Posts
2018 GLC 4MATIC
RF Tires. Real life experience.

Hello All,
GLC is # 1 on our shopping list, the only one concern is Run Flat tires.
Please provide some feedback from real life experience, how do they handle the road when they are not new?
How long do they last in normal driving? Can Costco or Wallmart Tire centers install new sets or only dealers?
Sorry for many questions never had them in my life.

Thank you in advance.
Old 02-14-2018, 12:16 PM

Received 132 Likes on 107 Posts
GLC43, GTI, X3, Mazda3
Basing this on my BMW that had 18" summer, Continental RFT's and living in the Northeast USA with crappy roads...they suck, suck, suck. Especially, when cold it was like riding on rocks. Hit a pothole, lose a couple teeth, along with probably a bent rim. That said, perhaps the GLC RFT's are better, but they are still going to ride "hard" just by the fact they have to have stiffer sidewalls in case of a tire failure. Since mine were summers, the rears were done at about 25k miles and the fronts were still ok and probably done at 30k miles. I'd guess all-seasons would last a little bit longer. Any tire center will probably install a new set of Non-RFT's for you and actually a dealer may NOT install non-RFT's for you because they aren't OEM or tires that came with the vehicle. Just my experience, perhaps others that have them on their GLC can comment. My GLC43 has the summer, NON-RFT's and they are heaven compared to my BMW, even in the cold weather. Good luck!
Old 02-14-2018, 02:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 GLC 4MATIC
Originally Posted by Chrisk03
Basing this on my BMW that had 18" summer, Continental RFT's and living in the Northeast USA with crappy roads...they suck, suck, suck. Especially, when cold it was like riding on rocks. Hit a pothole, lose a couple teeth, along with probably a bent rim. That said, perhaps the GLC RFT's are better, but they are still going to ride "hard" just by the fact they have to have stiffer sidewalls in case of a tire failure. Since mine were summers, the rears were done at about 25k miles and the fronts were still ok and probably done at 30k miles. I'd guess all-seasons would last a little bit longer. Any tire center will probably install a new set of Non-RFT's for you and actually a dealer may NOT install non-RFT's for you because they aren't OEM or tires that came with the vehicle. Just my experience, perhaps others that have them on their GLC can comment. My GLC43 has the summer, NON-RFT's and they are heaven compared to my BMW, even in the cold weather. Good luck!
OMG, COL. if they that bad why they still make them ? Anything what I have read about RFT is bad.
I have called a dealer and asked for spare, not an option with GLC.
Like the car, but RF is defiantly an issue.
Installing non-RF and care kit with me, Im not that brave .
Thank you.
Old 02-14-2018, 02:54 PM

Received 86 Likes on 80 Posts
16 GLC 19 Volvo XC40 06Corvette Z06
Originally Posted by DanD.
Hello All,
GLC is # 1 on our shopping list, the only one concern is Run Flat tires.
Please provide some feedback from real life experience, how do they handle the road when they are not new?
How long do they last in normal driving? Can Costco or Wallmart Tire centers install new sets or only dealers?
Sorry for many questions never had them in my life.

Thank you in advance.
I'm a proponent of run-flat tires. Especially on my wife's car. The biggest advantage of these tires is if a puncture occurs, one may continue driving...to the nearest help.

There are disadvantages. One is lack of selection. Price-these tires can be slightly more expensive. Some complain they ride hard, are noisy and wear rapidly. My experience is current generation tires exhibit little of those characteristics.

I've been driving on run-flat tires since 1999. In that time have suffered two punctures, both of which was able to drive to a tire shop for repair. Had occasion to view a tire that had an inch an a half hole in the sidewall, still drivable. A post on another automobile forum detailed a situation where an owner drove his car back and forth to work for a week with a zero pressure run-flat tire.

Some owners go to the trouble and expense of buying a jack, lug wrench and spare wheel and tire. The shortcoming with this is there is not a proper place in the car to stow these articles. Perhaps, more importantly, the spare tire's speed and distance rating is identical to the run-flat.

My GLC came with Pirelli Scorpion tires. With about 28,000 miles they have been flawless. Expect to get about another 8 to 10,000 miles from them.

Any reputable tire shop stocks and can mount and install run-flat tires.

You're going to get many divergent opinions. My suggestion is to try the original tires that come on your new GLC, form your own opinion and act accordingly. But keep in mind, the bottom line is, your tires can be driven on with zero pressure, in other words....flat. What a deal.
The following 2 users liked this post by larrypmyers:
62bassman (05-26-2019), Rmlasalle (03-06-2018)
Old 02-14-2018, 03:42 PM

Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts
2021 GLE 450, 2017 GLC 300 4Matic, 2008 FJ Cruiser
17 GLC 300 4matic bought brand new on 12/16.
l have 10k miles on Continental RFT 19 inch tires not bad at all. Pot holes and bumps you feel them a little but on smooth roads there quiet. Will see how long they last if they come close to 30k miles will probably purchase same ones again. No spare tire and having these when there’s no AAA service in the desert is kind of reassuring you can make it somewhere for help if they don’t get slashed.
Old 02-14-2018, 03:56 PM

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
2015 C300, 2015 F-350 Platinum, 1969 Mach 1 428cj, 2007 Roadking
The factory 19" Continental RFT's on our GLC were junk at 19,000 miles and they carry no mileage warranty. Unless you can show a defect soon after you buy the car the tires are 100% yours. I went to Americas Tire, owned by Discount Tire, and purchased a set of Goodrich DriveGuard RFT's for approximately $140.00 each with a 60,000 mile wear and road hazard warranty and free rotation and balance every 5,000 miles. They also ride much better than the factory tires. MB may make a great car but they equip them with crap for tires.

Last edited by mikbar2; 02-14-2018 at 04:02 PM.
Old 02-14-2018, 04:11 PM

Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts
2021 GLE 450, 2017 GLC 300 4Matic, 2008 FJ Cruiser
Originally Posted by mikbar2
The factory 19" Continental RFT's on our GLC were junk at 19,000 miles and they carry no mileage warranty. Unless you can show a defect soon after you buy the car the tires are 100% yours. I went to Americas Tire, owned by Discount Tire, and purchased a set of Goodrich DriveGuard RFT's for approximately $140.00 each with a 60,000 mile wear and road hazard warranty and free rotation and balance every 5,000 miles. They also ride much better than the factory tires. MB may make a great car but they equip them with crap for tires.
WOW very interesting good to know.
Old 02-14-2018, 04:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 GLC 4MATIC
Heard and saw a few good reviews on Goodrich DriveGuard RFT. Maybe an option.

In the last 10 years maybe more but 10 for sure. Between two cars we had one flat. My wife got huge nail in front tire, was repaired in 1hour.
Flats are not that common so to me its not a selling point vs ride comfort.
Unfortunately in 20-30 mins drive test, its hard to get a full feel of the car & tires, and tires are new and can be totally different ride quality when they 10-15K old.
Thank you all for your comments they are greatly appreciated.
Old 02-14-2018, 04:23 PM

Received 132 Likes on 107 Posts
GLC43, GTI, X3, Mazda3
OMG, COL. if they that bad why they still make them ? Anything what I have read about RFT is bad.
I have called a dealer and asked for spare, not an option with GLC.
Like the car, but RF is defiantly an issue.
Installing non-RF and care kit with me, Im not that brave .
Thank you.
Do yourself a favor, however, and go drive a GLC with them on the vehicle and decide for yourself. Larry (and others) make some valid points even though I personally think RFT's suck. Most auto manufacturers that are doing RFT's are doing so to save weight/cost and squeeze that 1/100th of a mile more for fuel economy reasons...no turning back for them. Ha! Overall, a great vehicle, nonetheless.
Old 02-14-2018, 04:36 PM

Do yourself a favor, however, and go drive a GLC with them on the vehicle and decide for yourself. Larry (and others) make some valid points even though I personally think RFT's suck. Most auto manufacturers that are doing RFT's are doing so to save weight/cost and squeeze that 1/100th of a mile more for fuel economy reasons...no turning back for them. Ha! Overall, a great vehicle, nonetheless.
Too bad they won't discount what they charge for their tires and give you the option of supplying your own.
Old 02-14-2018, 04:46 PM

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
2019 MB C300 4Matic (me); 2021 BMW 530i xDrive (husband)
My 2016 GLC came with the Pirelli RFTs....they showed enough wear at just over 15K to recommend replacement. I replaced them with Continental RFTs and that was enough to inform me that with RFTs it seems it's all about the make and model of the tire.
I think the ride is perhaps just a bit rough but with the Continentals it's way better than it was with the Pirellis. I don't get this small shimmy-like feel from the back when driving over bumps anymore. Most bumps feel a bit softer and I hear very little suspension moan, even with no music on. About 75%, at least, of the squeeking and rattles I've been annoyed by for a couple of years are gone.

Honestly --I had been considering defecting from Stuttgart when my lease is up in December, but the simple change of tires (even still with RFTs) addressed most of the remaining issues, that I am now leaning to just getting a new (2019) GLC and being smarter about the options.
Old 02-14-2018, 10:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 GLC 4MATIC
I do 20K in a year, comfort ride is very important.
Plus, if tires last 20-30K tops, looks like I need a new set every year (
I did test GLC for about 15-20 mins, its a very nice car but its hard to feel it in that short time.
Old 02-14-2018, 11:59 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
GLC 250D
The problem with asking this question on this forum is that there's a marked division of opinion, and no real way for a newcomer to resolve these conflicting opinions.

FWIW, I was very dissatisfied with the ride quality of my GLC until I switched to non-RFT. Doing so finally gave me a fully luxury vehicle. The steering was also vastly improved. However others are happy with RFT. Why the difference? I can only surmise that others have different expectations and/or drive on much better roads than I do. In this country the quality of our minor roads is often poor and the major roads at times aren't much better.

If you do opt for non-RFT there is the question about what to do about the risk of a flat. I carry a full fifth wheel. Others carry a space saver spare. Yet others carry a tyrefit kit or a goo kit or a 4wd plug kit or some combination of these. There's a long thread here about the various options.

Some claim that a RFT won't leave you stranded or needing to change a tyre. That's only partly true. it's probably true for most instances of a simple nail around town. But a RFT with a hole is not always always driveable - I speak from my personal experience here and that of my family - and you need to be within 80kms of help, or not needing to drive more than 80kms before the dealer or tyre shop are open.

The other thing to consider is wheel size. People seem to go for larger wheels for the look. But a smaller wheel size and higher profile tyre should improve the ride quality. In switching to non-RFT I also switched from 20" to 19". I vote for ride quality over looks.
Old 02-15-2018, 12:24 AM

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
2017 GLC43
I do 20K in a year, comfort ride is very important.
Plus, if tires last 20-30K tops, looks like I need a new set every year (
I did test GLC for about 15-20 mins, its a very nice car but its hard to feel it in that short time.
Personally I would say an E Class or the GLE equivalent is more of a long distance cruiser, as the sound insulation is increased and suspension softer.

But the GLC300 with standard 18 inch wheels and run flat tyres is fairly quiet, and more comfortable with springs than with the air suspension that the GLC43 has. The GLC can come with 18, 19, 20 inch wheels (20 or 21 for GLC43) and many different types of run flats (Pirelli, Goodyear, etc) for those sizes so no one is going to be able to be specific on longevity. I would be surprised if you couldn't get at least 20k miles out of any of the tyre variants but it depends on road material and how heavy a right foot you have.

I've got a GLC43 with 20's and Goodyear Eagle Sport All Season run flats with 7k miles and I'd expect to get 20k miles out of them under moderately spirited driving.
The following users liked this post:
Mzparker (03-09-2018)
Old 02-15-2018, 09:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 GLC 4MATIC
Thank you. A lot of helpfully information. I currently driving ML no airmatic on 20'' 265/45 Pirellis and its a very comfy ride.
Thank you, one more time.
Old 02-15-2018, 09:31 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2009 ML350 and 2018 GLC
My just took delivery of my 2018 GLC and at this point I’m happy with Mercedes’ decision to add RFT as standard. I have been driving for 55 years and when I think back, I have only had 4 flats while on the road in all those years. 3 of the 4 flats where in the rain, 2 at night on fast interstates with narrow shoulders and changing those tires were not only dangerous but messy and I ruined my cloth. The last flat happened in a large city where someone slashed my 2 front tires, leaving me strained with only one spare tire. In each case I would have been safer with RFTs.
Old 02-15-2018, 01:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 GLC 4MATIC
Originally Posted by Rmlasalle
My just took delivery of my 2018 GLC and at this point I’m happy with Mercedes’ decision to add RFT as standard. I have been driving for 55 years and when I think back, I have only had 4 flats while on the road in all those years. 3 of the 4 flats where in the rain, 2 at night on fast interstates with narrow shoulders and changing those tires were not only dangerous but messy and I ruined my cloth. The last flat happened in a large city where someone slashed my 2 front tires, leaving me strained with only one spare tire. In each case I would have been safer with RFTs.
There are good and bad sides of RFT. I wish MB could give us an option as BMW did to choose RF vs non-RF and buy a spare. After todays conversation with MB sales, I don't have an option to get spare and non-RF.
Old 02-15-2018, 10:07 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
2017 GLC 300 4matic, 2021 BMW R1200GS
2017 GLC 4matic with 18" wheels. ~20k miles on factory Pirelli run flats

the tires are OK and will go for maybe 10k more miles.
MB is serious that you must rotate these tires regularly for even wear. I waited until about 15k to rotate and the fronts are slightly cupped. We get some noise with them moved to the rear.
ride is sensitive to pressure. It can get harsh if tires at at 36 vs 34 psi.
You need to consider wheel size when evaluating the tire opinions of other forum members. 21s will ride harsher than 18s.

I'm OK with the idea of run flats, but wish I could experience the car with standard tires.

There is a few threads here about spare tires for the GLC. My dealer will sell me the Euro spec compact spare tire, wheel and jack for $1,413. I declined.
Old 02-15-2018, 10:29 PM

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
Mercedes-Ben GLC300 4Matic
Originally Posted by George in KG
2017 GLC 4matic with 18" wheels. ~20k miles on factory Pirelli run flats

the tires are OK and will go for maybe 10k more miles.
MB is serious that you must rotate these tires regularly for even wear. I waited until about 15k to rotate and the fronts are slightly cupped. We get some noise with them moved to the rear.
ride is sensitive to pressure. It can get harsh if tires at at 36 vs 34 psi.
You need to consider wheel size when evaluating the tire opinions of other forum members. 21s will ride harsher than 18s.

I'm OK with the idea of run flats, but wish I could experience the car with standard tires.

There is a few threads here about spare tires for the GLC. My dealer will sell me the Euro spec compact spare tire, wheel and jack for $1,413. I declined.
Are you in the us and will the Jack and spare fit under in the cargo area

My biggest issue with rft is the lack of options and inability to repair

The ride for me is ok . But I'm sure non rft would be much better
Old 02-15-2018, 10:54 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2018 GLC300 P01 selenite grey
I have Pirelli Scorpions RFT on my GLC300, and drove for the last 6 months or 5K with no issues. I drive in Los Angeles which has the worst roads in America, and they still perform well.
I think the standard 18" wheels work very well for this car all around, in terms of comfort and performance, with less risk/wear for the tires.
Old 02-16-2018, 02:58 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
2017 GLC300, 13 PorscheC4S, 12 Porsche Cayman S
I have been holding off on this thread waiting for someone else to bring it up again. I am apparently one of the very few who have no issues with the Scorpian RTF's. I don't understand the dissatisfaction with ride. I wonder what folks are comparing to. This being the 3rd MB SUV I have had, it rides as well or better than any of them. If you want a super plush ride, maybe a Lincoln would have been a better choice! These tires are as repairable as any other high performance tire as long as you don't drive 50 miles with no air pressure. I currently have 21,000 on mine and expect to get another 5-6,000 easily.
Old 02-16-2018, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Flubadub
I have been holding off on this thread waiting for someone else to bring it up again. I am apparently one of the very few who have no issues with the Scorpian RTF's. I don't understand the dissatisfaction with ride. I wonder what folks are comparing to. This being the 3rd MB SUV I have had, it rides as well or better than any of them. If you want a super plush ride, maybe a Lincoln would have been a better choice! These tires are as repairable as any other high performance tire as long as you don't drive 50 miles with no air pressure. I currently have 21,000 on mine and expect to get another 5-6,000 easily.
Even if you get to 30,000 miles, that's still crappy wear mileage for tires in this day and age. If they were formula 1 or high performance tires yes. These are grocery getter type cars. We only got 19,000 on our OEM's and they were worn out evenly so no alignment problems and were rotated every 5,ooo miles. Totally unacceptable for a daily driver in this price range.
Old 02-16-2018, 04:16 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
GLC 250D
Originally Posted by Flubadub
I don't understand the dissatisfaction with ride. If you want a super plush ride, maybe a Lincoln would have been a better choice!
The problem is potholes and bumps, especially potholes. I don't expect a Lincoln-style plush ride from European vehicle, and nor do I want it. But equally I don't expect a luxury vehicle at this price point to crash into potholes so hard that it's literally painful. Non-RFT don't transform my GLC into a hovercraft - not even air suspension does that - but they do reduce the impact of potholes and bumps down to a level consistent with the slightly firm, sporty ride typical of one of the big three German marques. Having made the switch, one discovers that the benefits are not limited just to this improvement.
Old 02-16-2018, 05:30 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
GLC 300
^ +1
Old 02-16-2018, 06:02 PM

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
GLC
Is there a spare tire we can buy that fits under the rear cargo? It doesn't have to be OEM right?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: RF Tires. Real life experience.