GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

Ask me anything about the GLC350E

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-17-2019, 04:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
glc 350e
I have had the GLC 350e for approx 1 year now and looking for help. I'm hoping there is a firmware update or something:
  1. Transmission lag - unresponsiveness especially from Reverse to Drive - slow and dangerous
  2. Bad judder in brakes when cold in morning
  3. Fuel economy sucks. 20km max in Eco mode and once electric is out, regular fuel economy is terrible. I average 10l/100km, people only driving 20km or under between charges will see incredible fuel savings but as soon as you hit the highway or go beyond, you are driving an extra heavy, gas guzzler. Small tank, so I fill up every 500 km (diesel GLK was very 800-900km)
  4. I drive in Eco mode which has no torque or power! Sport+ mode is powerful but fuel is about 20l/100, no good. No luck getting out of the way or passing in eco mode, very dangerous lag as well.
Looking for software upgrade for lag between reverse and drive or drive to reverse etc...3 point turns are suicide missions.

I miss my GLK Diesel! The GLC 350e is by far the worst car I've ever owned...not sure why there are no mentions of these major flaws.

I'm locked into this car for another 3 years (got rebate) so need help.

Thanks,

Jordan
Old 07-18-2019, 11:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLC 400e
I would take this car back to your dealer asap. My 350e dates from Feb 2017 and I have not experienced any of these symtoms. The worst problem I have had is windscreen wiper judder. With a daily charge and driving in Comfort mode, I usually get 900km+ per tank.
Old 07-18-2019, 11:36 AM

glc 350e
Wow. Maybe there is a big difference with the North American Models? I charge every night and it shows 21 km range but usually dies in Eco mode or Comfort mode by 17 km. Then the fuel economy is terrible. Never got more then 500km. But, if you drive 20km total everyday, you can do 900+km without refueling.
You don't have any transmission lag? Or brake judder in the cold/wet? I'm just used to it now.
I will take it in, but I know they won't be able to do anything.
Old 07-18-2019, 11:41 AM

glc 350e
Just to confirm, we are talking about the GLC 350e SUV, not the E350e sedan.
Old 07-22-2019, 11:44 AM

Golf R
Couple of questions about e-mode in the glc 350e:

1) Does it remember the e-mode setting? I.e.: if you choose e-mode for a drive home from work, plug it in overnight, and get in the next morning, will it still be in e-mode, or do you have to select that every drive?
2) How is the power while in e-mode? Sufficient to get around town?

Considering this for my wife when her bmw lease runs out - typical commute for her is about 8 miles a day round trip, and would be nice if it would just stay in e-mode until we take it out of town.
Old 07-22-2019, 12:05 PM

glc 350e
Answers to your questions

It does not remember last mode. Always returns to Comfort mode. I asked MB about this and there is no way to change this behaviour.

Power in eco mode is sufficient. Very poor response to acceleration and changing from drive to reverse etc. It’s a 100 hm motor that will switch to gas when needed. You will get about 20 km between charges.
Old 07-22-2019, 12:30 PM

Golf R
Originally Posted by JordanS
It does not remember last mode. Always returns to Comfort mode. I asked MB about this and there is no way to change this behaviour.

Power in eco mode is sufficient. Very poor response to acceleration and changing from drive to reverse etc. It’s a 100 hm motor that will switch to gas when needed. You will get about 20 km between charges.
Ah, thank you. I had a feeling that would be the answer.

Follow-up questions about comfort mode then: what is the default comfort mode behavior like with regard to ev abilities? e.g.: on vehicle start, does it immediately fire the engine to warm it up/let you know it's on, or does it just turn the systems on and operates as an EV until it decides combustion is required? Further, what's the comfort throttle threshold like for running only on electric (i.e.: can you keep it in electric mode by being gentle on the loud pedal or will it basically just run the ICE most of the time and only run on EV mode downhill/stopped/an ant's worth of pressure on the throttle)?

Thanks again for the quick response! We have a few more months before we need to start driving things, but just wanted to start researching now to see if any of the plug-in versions are worth it.
Old 07-22-2019, 03:53 PM

glc 350e
Comfort mode will use electric until you put your foot down harder. It is primarily electric until it needs to start up the engine for speed etc as you mentioned. Yes, you can stay in electric if you are gentle on the throttle. There's a very easy switch on the console to quickly switch to E mode or Sport, Sport +. There is haptic feedback when in e mode to tell you that the combustion engine is going to go on unless you slow down.
Make sure to test drive it. It is NOT a high-torque experience (in E or C mode) like Tesla...quite the opposite. I didn't test drive it, because I just wanted the government rebate to bring down the price. If I had, probably would not have purchased. In cold temps, battery only lasts 15-17 km. Warm days it's 18-21 kms. I don't believe MB did a good job with this car. It needs a major s/w update to fix the lag between drive and reverse. Brake shudders when cold. Powerful only in Sport mode which defeats the purpose of a EV. Also, I don't find it does a good job with Hybrid. It uses mostly E until it runs out then all gas. Highway driving is 100% gas and it doesn't do a good job charging itself enough like Toyota (I have a Highlander Hybrid, non-plug in which drives much better,.). Test drive it and makes sure you are happy with it.
Old 07-31-2019, 06:56 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
2009 MB C300 Sport & 2017 Lexus GS350 F-Sport
Originally Posted by javamon
Couple of questions about e-mode in the glc 350e:

1) Does it remember the e-mode setting? I.e.: if you choose e-mode for a drive home from work, plug it in overnight, and get in the next morning, will it still be in e-mode, or do you have to select that every drive?
2) How is the power while in e-mode? Sufficient to get around town?

Considering this for my wife when her bmw lease runs out - typical commute for her is about 8 miles a day round trip, and would be nice if it would just stay in e-mode until we take it out of town.
1) e-mode needs to be selected every time you start the car. You can start and drive in e-mode, even on cold starts. The engine will switch on if you leave it in hybrid mode (default) or e-save mode if you push the accelerator to a certain point, or you select charge mode (which uses the engine to charge the battery).

2) Power in e-mode is pretty decent in the first 40% of charge, then it starts dropping off...especially when you get towards the bottom 20-30%.

The range of the battery also depends on whether your commute includes steep hills and freeway driving, and whether you do hard accelerations.

On drives at highway speeds or going up steep hills, I usually switch to e-save mode to later use the charge for lower speeds around town.

Last edited by dchar; 07-31-2019 at 07:03 PM.
Old 01-24-2020, 11:31 PM

GLC 350e
2019 model E-mode not available even when showing 100%

Hey guys, I’m trying to resurrect an old thread, does anyone have issues to choosing the E-mode? Sometimes, even after a charge and the battery shows 100%, I’m unable to to see the E-mode as it’s greyed out. Thanks!
Old 06-06-2020, 12:24 AM

GLC 350e
Hey. Did you ever find out if there is an upgrade battery pack for GLC 350e 2017 or 2018 models, in order to meet the larger battery specs of GLC 350e 2020 model ?
Old 06-08-2020, 07:58 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2020 GLC 300 4 Matic
Compass

Does the Multimedia package with Navigation have a compass display on the dashboard?
Old 08-03-2021, 05:09 PM

350 glc e
Yellow Malfunction message with "gear icons"

[QUOTE
=2498luis;7383115]

I just took ownership of a GLC350e and im willing to answer any questions regarding the car feel free to ask

Plus a couple pics of the car in the dealership[/QUOTE]

Our vehicle has had many issues that seem to resolve on their own or have to be serviced. Most recently the display area turned to yellow words that said Malfunction and had two gear looking icons. Mercedes service department has never seen this before. When driving there is a jerk or jerky transition when this light appears and then the vehicle will not pull from the charge it has. It seems to be something with the going between the hybrid mode and the gas mode. It is at Mercedes now and they are trying to figure it out .

any thoughts?

The following users liked this post:
1500GLmann (11-12-2021)
Old 08-28-2021, 07:56 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
new to Mercedes; looking for 1st one
Does it drive like a car or suv? Easy to drive short distances around suburbs with lots of parking lots & parallel parking?
does it feel big coming from small sedan? Debating between GLA, GLB & GLC thx!!
Old 08-31-2021, 03:19 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
GLC, EQE SUV
Originally Posted by sharifshopping
Does it drive like a car or suv? Easy to drive short distances around suburbs with lots of parking lots & parallel parking?
does it feel big coming from small sedan? Debating between GLA, GLB & GLC thx!!
go test drive a glc300 and glc350e should be more smooth and quiet.
The following users liked this post:
sharifshopping (08-31-2021)
Old 11-12-2021, 10:13 AM

Mercedes 2017 GLC 350e
GLC 350e x253 2017 Problem

Hi

I hope you will be kind enough to assist me regarding my 2017 GLC 350e X253. The dealer here in Iceland (Askja) has not been able to solve my problem to this moment. Dealer has been wery helpful regarding this matter bu they seem not to be able to solve the problem. The problem is as follows: When vehicle changes from electric drive to combustion engine drive the displey on the dash shows gears and word Mailfunction. A code P06E900 shows refering to starter problem. The starter has been remowed and tested at a starter repair shop for performance under load and all ok. After the mailfunction light shows up the vehicle dose not perform stop/start function but drives normal.There is also another code showing U301700 battery managment system (BMS) The dealer staded that this code is not related to the problem. I hope you can help me solve this matter or provide additional testing. I know it is difficault to repair through email put please give it a try.

Best regards, Stefan Kristjansson
Old 11-12-2021, 04:02 PM

Mercedes 2017 GLC 350e
Exclamation GLC 350e x253 2017 Problem

Hi

I hope someone will be kind enough to assist me regarding my 2017 GLC 350e X253. The dealer here in Iceland (Askja) has not been able to solve my problem to this moment. Dealer has been weary helpful regarding this matter but they seem not to be able to solve the problem. The problem is as follows: When vehicle changes from electric drive to combustion engine drive the display on the dash shows gears and word Malfunction. A code P06E900 shows referring to starter problem. The starter has been removed and tested at a starter repair shop for performance under load and all ok. After the malfunction light shows up the vehicle dose not perform stop/start function but drives normal. There is also another code showing U301700 battery management system (BMS) The dealer stated that this code is not related to the problem. I hope you can help me solve this matter or provide additional testing. I know it is difficult to repair through email put please give it a try.

Best regards, Stefan Kristjansson
Old 04-15-2022, 04:43 PM

ML350 Bluetec
Question for the group as I couldn’t find the direct answer. Is there a drive mode setting where I can charge the PHEV battery with the motor, not just the brake regen feature. We travel up and down I5 to SoCal once a month and it would be nice to charge the battery up on these long stretches of highway. Thank you guys in advance. FYI, we have a 2020 GLC 350e. It does not have a “charge mode” as one of the drive modes.

Last edited by CD3BUSA; 04-15-2022 at 04:54 PM.
Old 04-19-2022, 03:25 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
GLC, EQE SUV
Originally Posted by CD3BUSA
Question for the group as I couldn’t find the direct answer. Is there a drive mode setting where I can charge the PHEV battery with the motor, not just the brake regen feature. We travel up and down I5 to SoCal once a month and it would be nice to charge the battery up on these long stretches of highway. Thank you guys in advance. FYI, we have a 2020 GLC 350e. It does not have a “charge mode” as one of the drive modes.
you can use "charge" mode if you want to charge the battery by engine.

You can also switch to "save battery" mode after the battery goes down to 90%, the battery will be kept in same level
Old 05-23-2022, 01:13 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
C250 Coupe
Originally Posted by CD3BUSA
Drive modes are different than the hybrid mode.

drive like comfort, eco and sport are different thank hybrid, esave and the charge mode, which is in the hybrid menu. You have to have it.
Old 06-09-2022, 09:15 PM

GLC 350e
Originally Posted by MBOwner2020
Hey guys, I’m trying to resurrect an old thread, does anyone have issues to choosing the E-mode? Sometimes, even after a charge and the battery shows 100%, I’m unable to to see the E-mode as it’s greyed out. Thanks!
Did you get a response or get this figured out? I am having the same issue!

TIA!
Old 06-09-2022, 09:40 PM

C250 Coupe
Let me ask you what comfort mode are you in?

Some comfort modes won’t allow it. Try eco mode.

let me know if that worked. That’s my understanding.
Old 06-10-2022, 08:25 AM

GLC 350e
Yes, the issue persists irrespective of comfort mode.

I can start my trip on EV mode and once it switches over to hybrid (the haptic pedal appears to be turned off) I am unable to switch it back. Sometimes it will even continue after I restart the car if I stop for a short period of time, for example picking up or dropping off the kids.
Old 06-10-2022, 08:27 AM

GLC 350e
Originally Posted by ChazThePhoenix
Let me ask you what comfort mode are you in?

Some comfort modes won’t allow it. Try eco mode.

let me know if that worked. That’s my understanding.

I can start my trip on EV mode and once it switches over to hybrid (the haptic pedal appears to be turned off) I am unable to switch it back. Sometimes it will even continue after I restart the car if I stop for a short period of time, for example picking up or dropping off the kids.
Old 06-10-2022, 11:38 AM

C250 Coupe
Originally Posted by MBOwner06032022

maybe you just need a system reboot.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Ask me anything about the GLC350E