2018 GLC vs 2016

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-18-2018, 03:21 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
2018 GLC 300 4MATIC
2018 GLC vs 2016

Hi,

We purchased one of the early GLCs the first year it came out. Overall, mostly happy (aside from the damn squeaky brake issue and the juddering wiper issues. Subjectively, we can't stand the GPS system that comes with COMAND/MM package).

There may be some decent trade-in credits for us, so we are thinking of going for a 2018 GLC, this time with more bells/whistles.

Anything major change between those 2 model years? Youtube videos don't say much. So far all I can tell is some added ornamental canisters surrounding the speedometer instrument panel.

Last edited by waylo; 03-18-2018 at 03:24 PM.
Old 03-18-2018, 05:07 PM

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
Mercedes-Ben GLC300 4Matic
Originally Posted by waylo
Hi,

We purchased one of the early GLCs the first year it came out. Overall, mostly happy (aside from the damn squeaky brake issue and the juddering wiper issues. Subjectively, we can't stand the GPS system that comes with COMAND/MM package).

There may be some decent trade-in credits for us, so we are thinking of going for a 2018 GLC, this time with more bells/whistles.

Anything major change between those 2 model years? Youtube videos don't say much. So far all I can tell is some added ornamental canisters surrounding the speedometer instrument panel.
packages are different slightly, other than that not much difference. i have a 2017 and had a 2018 loaner, did not the nav software was updated slightly, i noticed really no change at all
there is along here about the canisters (search "binnacles") it seems like very early vehicles had no canisters/binnacles, but most 2016 and beyond did

you can find a dealer ordering guide somewhere here will note the differences year over year. i believe the 2017 and 2018 DOG are posted
The following users liked this post:
waylo (03-18-2018)
Old 04-01-2018, 06:40 PM

2018 GLC 300 4MATIC
Just to document some changes we've noticed from the 2016, now that we have the 2018:

1. The Homelink transmitter was previously always powered. Now it requires aux power to be on. Better in my opinion. I had heard of people having their outdoor cars broken into and garages opened for home robberies. This way, the garage opener won't work unless the car is started.
2. The sunglasses compartment now is more cramped and no longer has a soft felt lining (so my wife says).
3. The glove compartment has an extra cubby above the main section.
4. Binnacles now, meh, at least on our trim level.
5. Run-flat tires now (probably a regional/selectable option), so no spare and no jack.
6. 2018 loaner's COMAND GPS user interface was slightly updated, probably a software update could bring the 2016 up to this. Still not user friendly enough IMO.
Old 04-01-2018, 07:21 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
GLC 300
Just copy-pasting from the ordering guides I used on my order:

2018 What's New:
- Storage Package becomes standard (seatback pockets, storage nets, rear seat release switches in cargo area)
- 632–LED Headlamps standard on GLE 350e 4M only
- Heated windscreen wiper system becomes standard(GLC300 4MATIC and GLC 350e 4MATIC only)
- (A lot of accessories added)
- 20” AMG Multi-Spoke Wheels (688) for AMG Line*
- SportExhaust System available with AMG Line (U21)*
- Smartphone Integration Package (868) available as of August production(Not available w/ COMAND)
- MB-TexUpper Dashboard with Topstitching (U09) available as standalone option
- Natural Grain Brown Ash Wood Trim (H09) becomes available
- Entrance Lamps in Doors (611) become standard

2017 What's New:
- GARMIN Pre-Wiring
- Introduction of LED Headlamps
- Touchpad only available with COMAND
- Addition of Brilliant Blue Metallic Paint (896)
- Addition of Saddle Brown Leather (234)

I would say from a features standpoint, the most notable change in 2018 was the option to have Carplay/Android Auto, which is a must-have for some people. Conflicts with COMAND, which means the Driver Assistance package won't be compatible either.

And this is just personal experience, but my 2018 had none of the issues commonly complained about on this forum (tire shuddering, brake noise in cold weather, etc..). I don't know if the 2018s included some upgrades to fix those issues or not.

Last edited by mike7ee; 04-01-2018 at 07:26 PM.
The following users liked this post:
waylo (04-30-2018)
Old 04-01-2018, 09:21 PM

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
Mercedes-Ben GLC300 4Matic
Just to document some changes we've noticed from the 2016, now that we have the 2018:

1. The Homelink transmitter was previously always powered. Now it requires aux power to be on. Better in my opinion. I had heard of people having their outdoor cars broken into and garages opened for home robberies. This way, the garage opener won't work unless the car is started.
2. The sunglasses compartment now is more cramped and no longer has a soft felt lining (so my wife says).
5. Run-flat tires now (probably a regional/selectable option), so no spare and no jack.
6. 2018 loaner's COMAND GPS user interface was slightly updated, probably a software update could bring the 2016 up to this. Still not user friendly enough IMO.
nice summary - some comments and points add add:

1. i have a 2017 and it actually kind of annoyed me that the homelink wasn't powered first thing in the morning when i was ready to exit the garage. now that i see your opinion that it is actually safer it makes a lot of sens e- i agree 100% much better its not always powered.
3. i have the scent system as part of the 2017 P3 - so i lose much of my glovebox space. i never intend using it so in my opinion taking that glovebox space out for the scent was a pretty awful idea.
5. RFT's I dont think a spare exists for any region does it? (in regions where there is no RFT or if you have the tall rims that dont come with RFT i think you get a can of goo and compressor)
6. the 2016 and 2017 COMAND are vteh same - the updates were for 18. i agree some nice tweaks but definitely still a steep learning curve as they dont make a huge difference, but definitely a small step in the right direction. I hope when i get a map update i get the slightly updated software, but i doubt i will.

adding one more

7. the door ajar now shows a door open warning even when the car is not moving in the 2018. in 2017 and 2016 you had to be travelling 5 mph or something like that, which is silly. i may ask about it at next visit and hope there is an update.

for 2019 looks like the only major thing i see so far is the addition of tri-zone climate control (which i believe was already available in some regions). I would have liked that option, especially since you can have different airflow for driver and passenger which i think would be really nice. then again probably another 2k in cost i wonder if it in fact were available of i would go for it. but all in all, not a lot of major changes between 2016 - 2019 which i am happy about. assuming the new wider screen nav and steering wheel come in 2020 model year my car will be 3 years old i wont feel as i just missed it.
Old 04-28-2018, 09:25 PM

2018 GLC 300 4MATIC

Some additional things:
7. Climate control starts right away. For some reason, on the 2016, it'd take 2-3 minutes after starting for the climate control to kick in. Weird.
8. Rear camera doesn't lock out the other settings. On the 2016, once you hit reverse and the camera turned on, you couldn't change anything on the console. No radio, nav, or climate setting adjustments allowed until after it was put into drive.
9. Parking brake auto disengages when put into gear. On the 2016, the parking brake would disengage once you hit the accelerator, but now you start rolling right away.
10. Vehicle location using the smartphone app is much quicker. On the 2016, it would take 3-4 minutes, literally. Now it's probably 1 minute at most.

Last edited by waylo; 05-05-2018 at 01:09 PM.