GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

How to Change Filters

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-24-2018, 07:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLC 300
Question How to Change Filters

I have a 2016 GLC 300. It's at 20,000 miles. I have changed out the cabin filter below glove compartment. But I have never changed the cabin under the hood and in front of passenger side.
I have never changed the engine filter.
I tried looking online for tutorial but couldn't find anything for GLC, I guess it's due to being a new model.

Can someone point me to the right direction? Some pictures will be really helpful.
Also, what are the part number for those filters? Website link will be helpful.
Old 04-25-2018, 12:21 AM

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
'17 BMW X3, '18 GLC300 4Matic
You should do a search on this forum. Several members discuss in detail, including some links I believe, on changing those filters. The cabin filter under the hood is a little tricky as I recall.
Old 04-25-2018, 12:24 AM

Deleted duplicate post.

Last edited by Vaboy; 04-25-2018 at 12:27 AM.
Old 04-25-2018, 05:23 AM

GLC 300
Originally Posted by Vaboy
You should do a search on this forum. Several members discuss in detail, including some links I believe, on changing those filters. The cabin filter under the hood is a little tricky as I recall.
I did some research, all I can find is how to replace the filter under the glove compartment. Is there another cabin filter under the hood?
Old 04-25-2018, 11:18 AM

Here’s one thread:

https://mbworld.org/forums/glc-class...Change+filters

Search “change filters” on the “Search this Forum” from the main page of this forum for some more discussions on this topic. They might be buried in a Maintenance thread. But then you can search a particular thread for key words to find what you’re looking for.
Old 04-25-2018, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by rabinzx
I did some research, all I can find is how to replace the filter under the glove compartment. Is there another cabin filter under the hood?
After looking at the link I sent you it appears the filter inside the cabin is the more difficult one to change. Finding where to “Search this Forum” is not real clear. Here’s a pic showing how to search the GLC Forum. The other “Search” function searches ALL MB Forums in MBWorld. Sometimes the info you find there is relevant, sometimes not.
Old 04-26-2018, 09:17 AM

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
2016 GLC300 4Matic
If you do change the cabin filter, be aware that you need to reach into a hole in the plastic cover below the glove box and "unhook" the cover before trying to remove it. This was a major source of frustration for me. I don't believe this was pointed out previously in this forum although it may be now. Also, the tiny plastic clip on the right front edge of the cover will probably snap off no matter what you do. It looks like a design flaw to me since its minuscule size and function is dubious.
Old 04-27-2018, 05:11 PM

GLC 300
I guess my main confusion is how many filters for cabin ( passenger) and how many is for engine.
I searched all the filter related post I can find. And I only found 2 filters. One is under the "Air Box" in picture 1.
And another one is under the glove box in picture 2.

Are they all for cabin ? Or the first one is for engine and second one is cabin?
So far I have gotten 3 pars:
1. cabin filter that goes under glove box 205-835-01-47
2. Air Filter that suppose go "Air Box" in picture one 274-094-01-04
Some website display 274-094-01-04 in different shapes.
mercedespartshub,
Amazon Amazon

picture 1

picture 2

Last edited by rabinzx; 04-27-2018 at 05:34 PM.
Old 04-27-2018, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by rabinzx
I guess my main confusion is how many filters for cabin ( passenger) and how many is for engine.
I searched all the filter related post I can find. And I only found 2 filters. One is under the "Air Box" in picture 1.
And another one is under the glove box in picture 2.

Are they all for cabin ? Or the first one is for engine and second one is cabin?
So far I have gotten 3 pars:
1. cabin filter that goes under glove box 205-835-01-47
2. Air Filter that suppose go "Air Box" in picture one 274-094-01-04
Some website display 274-094-01-04 in different shapes.
mercedespartshub, Amazon
Rabinzx, read the thread in the link I posted in Post #5. It will be clear to you there are 2 cabin filters (1 in the cabin and 1 under the hood) and of course there is 1engine “air filter” that has nothing to do with the cabin filters. I haven’t needed to replace mine yet, so I haven’t looked up the part numbers. I don’t know how you could be confused about the number of filters. Part numbers maybe, but not the actual number of filters.
Old 04-27-2018, 09:33 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GLC300 4Matic
The cabin filter that is under the hood (called a "dust filter") is in the passenger side and aft . You need to remove the plastic cover in that corner, which also covers the battery. There are two plastic thumb screws at the front of the cover that you turn 90 degrees, then gently lift the plastic over up and off. Under that cover, you will find a plastic container up next to the firewall. The dust filter is in it. The cover for that container is held on with plastic clips that you squeeze to remove it. Very easy to do. Here are the part numbers that I used a month ago to replace the cabin filters when doing my "B" service : Cabin Filter (in the cabin) - Part #205-835-01-47. Dust Filter (under the hood) - Part #A 166-830-02-18.
As for the engine filter, I don't think it is required to be replaced at the first "B" service, but I did check it and it looked to be quite clean, but then I don't live in a dusty area. The engine air filter is I believe Part # 274-094-01-04. By the way, my old cabin filters looked very clean, but I replaced them anyway because they are a "B" service requirement.
I found the filters at www.shopmbonline.com. I suggest you go there or any other MB parts place and put your vehicle in their "Select your vehicle" spot and go from there.
Hope that helps.

Last edited by mtnhntr; 04-28-2018 at 01:04 PM. Reason: Part # for Cabin Filter was off on one didit
Old 04-28-2018, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by mtnhntr
The cabin filter that is under the hood (called a "dust filter") is in the passenger side and aft . You need to remove the plastic cover in that corner, which also covers the battery. There are two plastic thumb screws at the front of the cover that you turn 90 degrees, then gently lift the plastic over up and off. Under that cover, you will find a plastic container up next to the firewall. The dust filter is in it. The cover for that container is held on with plastic clips that you squeeze to remove it. Very easy to do. Here are the part numbers that I used a month ago to replace the cabin filters when doing my "B" service : Cabin Filter (in the cabin) - Part #205-833-01-47. Dust Filter (under the hood) - Part #A 166-830-02-18.
As for the engine filter, I don't think it is required to be replaced at the first "B" service, but I did check it and it looked to be quite clean, but then I don't live in a dusty area. The engine air filter is I believe Part # 274-094-01-04. By the way, my old cabin filters looked very clean, but I replaced them anyway because they are a "B" service requirement.
I found the filters at www.shopmbonline.com. I suggest you go there or any other MB parts place and put your vehicle in their "Select your vehicle" spot and go from there.
Hope that helps.
Good writeup and info, mtnhntr. Since several members have commented on difficulties changing the cabin filter inside the car, do you have any tips or problems you encountered that might be helpful?

Thanks!
Old 04-28-2018, 01:39 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GLC300 4Matic
Thanks Vaboy. As some have mentioned, the cabin filter change-out was a challenge. (By the way the part # for the cabin filter I listed was off one digit - I have corrected that in my previous thread.) Someone on this forum had made a U-Tube of his change-out and I viewed it which helped a lot. I will try to add the link:
. If that link does not work, just Google it. It does not, however show how to get the plastic panel down very well and that was my biggest problem, one that "guido3" mentions in a thread above. I did not realize that there is a plastic protrusion of about 3"-4" long with sort of a hook on the end that goes up toward the dashboard on the plastic panel and that you apparently need to thread your finger in a hole in the forward part of the panel to unhook it first so you can remove the panel. I ended up breaking part of it, which I glued back together. Also, I tried to get the panel out and back in without pulling the carpet down. Just could not do it and my fiddling around with the panel probably is what caused the part to break. To get the panel back in, I ended up pulling the front part of the carpet down - there was a fold line already in the carpet which allowed it to come down about 4". That made it much easier to reinstall the panel. You just have to be very careful that you don't break that protrusion. Changing the filter itself is not very hard, just be sure to get the filter retainer back on properly - it took me several iterations to get it right. After I was through, I thought that I should have just had the dealer do it, but now that I know how and took good notes, I will do it next time.
Old 04-28-2018, 11:44 PM

Thanks for the additional details on changing out that interior cabin filter. I’ve got a while to go before mine needs to be changed. Maybe someone will explain the trick to getting the carpet down and out of the way. Seems like that’s the main obstacle to changing that one.