GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

MB Stop Sales of GLC 300

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-09-2018, 03:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLC300
Originally Posted by DDGator
From what I have heard there was an internal "stop sell" order on new GLCs. There is not a recall -- so nothing is "illegal" if that is the case.

Does this apply to MB dealers?

"Mfr's Report Date: March 15, 2018
Please be reminded that under 49 U.S.C. § 30112(a)(3), it is illegal for a manufacturer, to sell, offer for sale, import, or introduce or deliver into interstate commerce, a motor vehicle or item of motor vehicle equipment that contains a safety defect once the manufacturer has notified NHTSA about that safety defect. "
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/201...8V177-6022.pdf
Old 04-09-2018, 03:19 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
GLC 300
I understand there was a stop order precisely because there was a recall. According to one recall site: On March 15, 2018, Mercedes-Benz recalled 121,861 Mercedes-Benz GLC300. Mercedes benz usa llc (mbusa) is recalling certain 2017-2019 glc43 amg, 2016-2019 glc300 4matic, 2016-2018 glc300, 2018 glc63 amg 4matic, and 2018-2019 glc350e 4matic vehicles. the seat belt latch plates (the parts that insert into the buckles) for the outboard rear seats may retract into the interior paneling, preventing the occupants from being able to use the seat belts. Other state consumer sites also noted: Mercedes-Benz Issues Recall for Almost 122,000 GLC Vehicles with Seat Belt Issue with the following sub headline (sorry about the size of it):

REAR SEAT PASSENGERS IN THE AFFECTED VEHICLES MAY NOT BE ABLE TO FASTEN THEIR SEAT BELTS

Old 04-09-2018, 03:23 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
2021 GLB 250
Originally Posted by Ariesfamous
I browse these forums everyday and I'll tell you all I see is problems with the GLC. Moreso than any other model. By far.
​​​​​​
It's also one of the best selling Mercedes models (and the least expensive -- which is probably a related fact). People come to the internet to complain more than to brag. I don't think you can draw any conclusions from that.
The following users liked this post:
DPelletier (04-09-2018)
Old 04-09-2018, 03:29 PM

GLC 300
Good point DDGator. Many people come to forums like this for help to solve issues big and small. As a result, the overall tone is not always positive. As you point out, when a product is popular, it has more discussions, which can amplify that tone.

Thanks to everyone for all the help with questions. I really appreciate all the threads here, which have helped me a lot. And, we are really enjoying out GLC 300.
Old 04-09-2018, 03:34 PM

GLC300
Originally Posted by Scoho
I understand there was a stop order precisely because there was a recall. According to one recall site: On March 15, 2018, Mercedes-Benz recalled 121,861 Mercedes-Benz GLC300. Mercedes benz usa llc (mbusa) is recalling certain 2017-2019 glc43 amg, 2016-2019 glc300 4matic, 2016-2018 glc300, 2018 glc63 amg 4matic, and 2018-2019 glc350e 4matic vehicles. the seat belt latch plates (the parts that insert into the buckles) for the outboard rear seats may retract into the interior paneling, preventing the occupants from being able to use the seat belts. Other state consumer sites also noted: Mercedes-Benz Issues Recall for Almost 122,000 GLC Vehicles with Seat Belt Issue with the following sub headline (sorry about the size of it):

REAR SEAT PASSENGERS IN THE AFFECTED VEHICLES MAY NOT BE ABLE TO FASTEN THEIR SEAT BELTS

I just called MB customer care. According to them, MB hasn't sent out the official recall notices to customers yet and dealers are allowed to sell and deliver cars before the official recall notices are sent...
Old 04-09-2018, 03:38 PM

2021 GLB 250
I understand there was a stop order precisely because there was a recall.[color=#2ecc71]
We are probably splitting legal hairs here. NHTSA says the recall is scheduled to start May 15. I don't know how the law applies at this point. I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that MB is violating federal law... But I suppose its possible.
Old 04-09-2018, 03:42 PM

GLC 300
Thanks Coldwinter. I saw the notices would not be sent mid May. My dealer said they could not sell any new GLC until fixed. Well, at least the fix was quick. Thanks.
Old 04-09-2018, 03:43 PM

GLC 300
No, I am sure you guys are right and MB is being compliant. Maybe some state laws also apply. Didn't mean to imply anything nefarious. Thanks.
Old 04-09-2018, 03:47 PM

GLC300
Thanks Coldwinter. I saw the notices would not be sent mid May. My dealer said they could not sell any new GLC until fixed. Well, at least the fix was quick. Thanks.
Your dealer was honest!
Old 04-09-2018, 03:55 PM

GLC300
No, I am sure you guys are right and MB is being compliant. Maybe some state laws also apply. Didn't mean to imply anything nefarious. Thanks.
It seems that manufacturers are not allowed to sell new cars once they report a safety issue to NHTSA (source: NHTSA document), but dealers can sell them until the official recall notices are sent out (source: MB customer care)?
Old 04-09-2018, 11:54 PM

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
'17 BMW X3, '18 GLC300 4Matic
Just thought I’d let you guys know, my 2018 GLC 4Matic was built in June 2017 in the Finland plant and has this problem. Took delivery 7/17 and it’s normally just me and my wife in the car. My adult daughter was home Easter weekend and was riding in the rear outboard passenger seat when, after getting back in the car after a visit with her grandparents, she said she couldn’t get her seatbelt to pull down so she could fasten it. She got out and said it looked like the metal plate that engages into the receiving end of the seatbelt was “stuck” inside the pillar. We couldn’t get it out so I drove home very carefully with fingers crossed. We were able to fish out, with a coat hanger, the metal plate that had obviously slipped through the opening in the roof pillar!
It wasn’t until after she left that I ran across this post. I was stunned.

My point is, this is not some obscure anomaly that will probably not happen to you. If you normally have people in the rear outboard seats, they may be unable to fasten the rear seatbelt unexpectedly. If that happens, you better hope you’re not in a wreck. And carry a coat hanger in your car until you get it fixed.

BTW, other than this thread, I have not heard anything from MB about the this serious safety issue. I plan on contacting my dealer tomorrow to see if they can fix this.
Old 04-10-2018, 05:57 AM

2021 GLB 250
Originally Posted by Vaboy
Just thought I’d let you guys know, my 2018 GLC 4Matic was built in June 2017 in the Finland plant and has this problem. Took delivery 7/17 and it’s normally just me and my wife in the car. My adult daughter was home Easter weekend and was riding in the rear outboard passenger seat when, after getting back in the car after a visit with her grandparents, she said she couldn’t get her seatbelt to pull down so she could fasten it.
Just curious -- if there were three of you, why couldn't your daughter sit on the other side in the back?

I agree this is a very serious problem. It is fortunate, at least, that the problem is very obvious when it occurs and not something that is hidden.
Old 04-10-2018, 08:56 AM

GLC 300
Vaboy: They have a fix that I think is not that complicated. My GLC 300 received the fix before they would deliver the car to me (i.e., let it leave their lot). The recall notice apparently will not be issued until mid-May and they will probably retrofit what they have on their lots as a priority, but hopefully you can get it addressed sooner than later. Good luck.
The following users liked this post:
Vaboy (04-10-2018)
Old 04-10-2018, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by DDGator
Just curious -- if there were three of you, why couldn't your daughter sit on the other side in the back?

I agree this is a very serious problem. It is fortunate, at least, that the problem is very obvious when it occurs and not something that is hidden.
Good question DD. I should have mentioned there were others in the back seat. We actually took two full cars over for the visit.

I agree it IS good it’s not a hidden flaw. Well, it is hidden until you go to use one of those seatbelts and it won’t pull out. However, if alternate seating is NOT available, you’re out of luck without some way to fish it out of the pillar. We tried and just couldn’t get it to pull back out of the slot it went through. It’s one of those “why didn’t someone think of that” in the design process.
Old 04-10-2018, 11:25 AM

2021 GLB 250

Good question DD. I should have mentioned there were others in the back seat. We actually took two full cars over for the visit.

I agree it IS good it’s not a hidden flaw. Well, it is hidden until you go to use one of those seatbelts and it won’t pull out. However, if alternate seating is NOT available, you’re out of luck without some way to fish it out of the pillar. We tried and just couldn’t get it to pull back out of the slot it went through. It’s one of those “why didn’t someone think of that” in the design process.
That makes sense. And I wasn't trying to diminish the safety concern, at all. Just saying at least those who are affected know it, although maybe without any advance notice. It's better in the grand scheme of things than a faulty buckle that seems secure but then gives way in an accident.
Old 04-10-2018, 11:37 AM

+1 Agreed!
Old 04-10-2018, 12:15 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
GLC 300
Vaboy - would you be able to share a photo of the area where the plate got stuck so I can compare the area to my car? I have a car that was made in 7/17 in Finland and I tried to jam the plate up there to see if I could replicate the issue but could not. I can't see how this could occur and am wondering if my car is affected or not. Thanks.
Old 04-10-2018, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by Takehold
Vaboy - would you be able to share a photo of the area where the plate got stuck so I can compare the area to my car? I have a car that was made in 7/17 in Finland and I tried to jam the plate up there to see if I could replicate the issue but could not. I can't see how this could occur and am wondering if my car is affected or not. Thanks.

Seat is down in first 2 pics for clarity. Clip won’t go in in first pic when it hits the slot straight on. If the clip is at an angle, it will slide into the slot and into the pillar.
I have no idea how it hit the slot “just right” when my daughter unbuckled when she released it. I tried to duplicate it and, like you takehold, it seemed impossible to make it go in. I think the difference is if the seatbelt itself is on the “track” as in pic 3 and 4 that sort of lets it go up to the left side of the slot at the top where it can slip in. I’m less concerned about it after trying to duplicate it, but when it happened it was very real.
Old 04-11-2018, 10:25 AM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
GLC 300
Thanks for the pictures. My car is the same and I was able to slide the clip up there at an angle. Seems like it would be rare but yet as you said, very real when it happens. I guess I'll wait for the recall letter.
Old 04-11-2018, 01:51 PM

Sure thing. For anyone that cannot afford to have a rear seatbelt not work, you should throw a coat hanger with a small bend in the end of it in your cargo area until you can have it fixed at your dealer. Pretty easy to fish out that way. We tried but couldn’t manually coax it through the slot.
Old 04-13-2018, 11:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2017 GLC 300 4Matic
Does anyone else think it is wrong for customers to be subject to such quality control or lack thereof ? The solution feels like a hack job with removal of pillars and drilling holes etc.

Is it wrong to expect to have a new vehicle untouched after being built for atleast a year? After panorama roof fix, replacement with acoustic glass, steering grounding fix, brake pad fix , out of round tire replacement - dreading the drilling holes next!
Old 04-18-2018, 04:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLC43
Just thought I’d let you guys know, my 2018 GLC 4Matic was built in June 2017 in the Finland plant and has this problem. Took delivery 7/17 and it’s normally just me and my wife in the car. My adult daughter was home Easter weekend and was riding in the rear outboard passenger seat when, after getting back in the car after a visit with her grandparents, she said she couldn’t get her seatbelt to pull down so she could fasten it. She got out and said it looked like the metal plate that engages into the receiving end of the seatbelt was “stuck” inside the pillar. We couldn’t get it out so I drove home very carefully with fingers crossed. We were able to fish out, with a coat hanger, the metal plate that had obviously slipped through the opening in the roof pillar!
It wasn’t until after she left that I ran across this post. I was stunned.

My point is, this is not some obscure anomaly that will probably not happen to you. If you normally have people in the rear outboard seats, they may be unable to fasten the rear seatbelt unexpectedly. If that happens, you better hope you’re not in a wreck. And carry a coat hanger in your car until you get it fixed.

BTW, other than this thread, I have not heard anything from MB about the this serious safety issue. I plan on contacting my dealer tomorrow to see if they can fix this.
Vaboy: They have a fix that I think is not that complicated. My GLC 300 received the fix before they would deliver the car to me (i.e., let it leave their lot). The recall notice apparently will not be issued until mid-May and they will probably retrofit what they have on their lots as a priority, but hopefully you can get it addressed sooner than later. Good luck.
Hi, and if I may ask, what fix did they Implement for your vehicle? Because I was under the impression that Mercedes hasn't came up with a fixed at this point.
Old 04-18-2018, 09:18 PM

My dealer called me today and said they had the parts for the seat belt “fix”. Look at Post #15. Fabbri put a link at the bottom showing what they do to correct the problem. I didn’t ask the SM what the parts were. He DID say the repair/fix is all behind the pillar and nothing shows. I’ll ask tomorrow when I pick it up what they did.

Last edited by Vaboy; 04-18-2018 at 09:21 PM.
Old 04-19-2018, 10:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLC43
My dealer called me today and said they had the parts for the seat belt “fix”. Look at Post #15. Fabbri put a link at the bottom showing what they do to correct the problem. I didn’t ask the SM what the parts were. He DID say the repair/fix is all behind the pillar and nothing shows. I’ll ask tomorrow when I pick it up what they did.
Fantastic! And thank you for the quick reply.
Do keep us posted.
Old 04-19-2018, 12:09 PM

GLC 300
Sorry I didn't see this earlier. The fix was developed in March, and my dealer got the parts in late March. They prioritized cars sold but that they could / would not deliver due to the recall (like mine) and presumably cars on the lot. My car was fixed end of March. The fix is behind the pillar and I don't think visible but I am not sure about anything else. Will also try to check later.