GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

Automatic Park When Ignition Switched Off

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-18-2018, 07:53 PM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
GLC 4matic
Automatic Park When Ignition Switched Off

I currently have an '18 GLC loaner while my '17 is in for service. The '18 automatically switches into the Park position when the ignition is turned off just like my BMW M3 does, my '17 GLC does not automatically go into Park. Is this a programming issue or is this a new feature for the '18 models?
Old 06-19-2018, 03:33 AM

Received 87 Likes on 83 Posts
2017 C43 AMG Saloon
Does yours go into park when you switch off and open the door? If yes, it might be a new feature since I forget to leave my for on the brake then open the door. I've had the car roll on me numerous times...
Old 06-19-2018, 09:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 183 Likes on 150 Posts
GLC 300d 4matic
My 2016 250d engages the park brake when I open the door .
It used to engage the park brake when the passenger door was opened even before the car was at a complete stop....it stopped doing this. Presume some change to software that dealer has done caused the change.
Old 06-19-2018, 12:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 301 Likes on 190 Posts
GLC 450
My. 2017 puts car in neutral when ignition is turned off and park when door is opened.
Old 06-19-2018, 05:28 PM

Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts
2021 GLE 450, 2017 GLC 300 4Matic, 2008 FJ Cruiser
Originally Posted by Philamg
My. 2017 puts car in neutral when ignition is turned off and park when door is opened.
+1 my 2017 does samething
Old 06-19-2018, 08:42 PM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
GLC 4matic
Yes, it does go into Park when you open the door, apparently, the '18 model does the moment that the engine off button is pushed. Thanks for the answers!
Old 06-19-2018, 10:56 PM

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
Mercedes-Ben GLC300 4Matic
Originally Posted by petercory
Yes, it does go into Park when you open the door, apparently, the '18 model does the moment that the engine off button is pushed. Thanks for the answers!
This minor update makes a lot of sense. Automatically going into park when you turn off the phone makes sense the .The 2017 method is silly
Likewise in 18 when the door is open the door ajar warning comes on .Saw this in a loaner I had at last service in 17 it only comes on if a door is openope and the car starts moving. To me this behavior makes zero sense

​​​​
Old 06-20-2018, 03:41 AM

2017 C43 AMG Saloon
Originally Posted by ajmtbm
This minor update makes a lot of sense. Automatically going into park when you turn off the phone makes sense the .The 2017 method is silly
Likewise in 18 when the door is open the door ajar warning comes on .Saw this in a loaner I had at last service in 17 it only comes on if a door is openope and the car starts moving. To me this behavior makes zero sense
​​​​
I would prefer it to pull over and then go into park when you turn the phone ON, not off. But if you were on the fone driving, it should call the cops. Regarding the open door, I prefer the 17 way. Warn me when I start to move, don't make a racket if the door is open and the car stopped.

Last edited by guhvies; 06-22-2018 at 02:56 AM.
Old 06-21-2018, 12:28 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
MB GLC250
Trans status at engine turn off

Hi folks,
My GLC250 petrol MY17 Australian specification.
With motor running, turn off ignition, Transmission )goes to "N" (Neutral).
If I open the door the park-brake is engaged.

As per manual, my shut-down routine is: Bring vehicle to full stop, hit Gear level to engage 'Park', turn off ignition, ....This will engage Park brake automatically. Disembark, 'go make happy' away from vehicle.

If there is newer software that engages Transmission park at engine shut down ...then how do you get the vehicle in to Neutral with engine off ...say if you want to just push it forward by hand a few inches (centimetres), in an enclosed garage. Or in one of those auto car wash machines that drag/tow your vehicle through. (Note: I would never use one!!)

Phil

Edit: spelling ..did not spell Australia correctly ..hangs head in shame!

Last edited by Citizen613; 06-21-2018 at 12:30 AM.
Old 06-21-2018, 03:24 AM

2017 C43 AMG Saloon
I didn't even notice...
Old 06-21-2018, 04:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLC 450
Can anybody explain to me what turning the phone on or off has to do with what happens when the car stops, I thought the post was about what happens when you turn the ignition off!.
Old 06-21-2018, 04:41 AM

MB GLC250
Originally Posted by Philamg
Can anybody explain.......
Phil, I think it was a bit of a mis-type earlier on.

..or at least I hope so ...otherwise, there was a bit of a tear in the fabric of the force!! ...hold on tighter!!
Old 06-21-2018, 04:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLC 450
Thanks Citizen, was getting worried.
Old 06-27-2018, 12:58 AM

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
'17 BMW X3, '18 GLC300 4Matic
Not that this is a compelling issue with current owners or others considering a GLC, but as the owner of a very early production (6/17) MY18 GLC, I’d like to hear from owners of later production MY18 GLC’s. I’d be really surprised if MB changed the programming during the model year. Mine reacts just as others have said about their MY17’s - turn the ignition off and it goes into N or neutral. Opening the door, running or not, and P or Park is engaged. Or course, pressing the button on the end of the shifter stalk engages Park, which is what I TRY to do whenever I pull into somewhere and plan on getting out. My wife will confirm that if I turn the ignition off and take my foot off the brake the car will definitely start to roll if on any kind of incline, which is likely in my hilly city.

My guess is the OP either opened the door immediately upon stopping or hit the button on the end of the stalk out of habit. I’m a little OCD and would just like to know if what he described is accurate.
Old 06-27-2018, 04:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLC 450
Originally Posted by Vaboy
Not that this is a compelling issue with current owners or others considering a GLC, but as the owner of a very early production (6/17) MY18 GLC, I’d like to hear from owners of later production MY18 GLC’s. I’d be really surprised if MB changed the programming during the model year. Mine reacts just as others have said about their MY17’s - turn the ignition off and it goes into N or neutral. Opening the door, running or not, and P or Park is engaged. Or course, pressing the button on the end of the shifter stalk engages Park, which is what I TRY to do whenever I pull into somewhere and plan on getting out. My wife will confirm that if I turn the ignition off and take my foot off the brake the car will definitely start to roll if on any kind of incline, which is likely in my hilly city.

My guess is the OP either opened the door immediately upon stopping or hit the button on the end of the stalk out of habit. I’m a little OCD and would just like to know if what he described is accurate.
+1, we need the owner of a recently built GLC to advise.
Old 06-27-2018, 10:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2018 GLC 300 4MATIC
MY2018, build date of Dec 2017 here. When I brake to a stop and press the ignition button to turn the car off, it automatically goes into N/Neutral. When I open the door, it will automatically go into Park and set the parking brake. I've had the car for a month+ and have become quite used to the parking procedure to be a two step process: turn the car off and push the button on the end of the shift lever to place it in Park.

Every once in awhile, though, I find myself reaching down toward the center console for the gear shift lever. It's going to take a little more than a few weeks to untrain years and years of muscle memory
Old 06-27-2018, 10:43 AM

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
'17 BMW X3, '18 GLC300 4Matic
Originally Posted by chrispyk
MY2018, build date of Dec 2017 here. When I brake to a stop and press the ignition button to turn the car off, it automatically goes into N/Neutral. When I open the door, it will automatically go into Park and set the parking brake. I've had the car for a month+ and have become quite used to the parking procedure to be a two step process: turn the car off and push the button on the end of the shift lever to place it in Park.

Every once in awhile, though, I find myself reaching down toward the center console for the gear shift lever. It's going to take a little more than a few weeks to untrain years and years of muscle memory
Thanks for your post, chrispyk. This was my first MB and I was a little concerned that using the stalk would feel awkward. It won’t be long before it becomes second nature for you. I’ve been driving 50 years and actually like not reaching down for a shifter. My main problem is when I drive my wife’s X3, I invariably pull her stalk down to put it in Drive, which obviously turns her wipers on! I hate doing that because I’m a freak about not running wipers over a dry windshield. She’s not too happy about it either!

Last edited by Vaboy; 06-27-2018 at 08:47 PM.
Old 06-27-2018, 01:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLC 450

Exactly the same as MY17 and I suspect MY16, in other words nothing has changed, if it aint broke don't fix it.
Old 06-27-2018, 07:49 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
2021 GLB 250
When I brake to a stop and press the ignition button to turn the car off, it automatically goes into N/Neutral. When I open the door, it will automatically go into Park and set the parking brake.
My GLC was just built in May 2018. It exhibits the same behavior.
Old 06-28-2018, 03:02 AM

MB GLC250
Originally Posted by petercory
I currently have an '18 GLC loaner while my '17 is in for service. The '18 automatically switches into the Park position when the ignition is turned off just like my BMW M3 does, my '17 GLC does not automatically go into Park. Is this a programming issue or is this a new feature for the '18 models?
So ..the original poster is a little confused about what is going on ..or ..maybe …….. a faulty door switch …..is inducing this behaviour.

Speculation?
Old 06-29-2018, 04:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2018 GLC 300 4MATIC
Originally Posted by Vaboy

Thanks for your post, chrispyk. This was my first MB and I was a little concerned that using the stalk would feel awkward. It won’t be long before it becomes second nature for you. I’ve been driving 50 years and actually like not reaching down for a shifter. My main problem is when I drive my wife’s X3, I invariably pull her stalk down to put it in Drive, which obviously turns her wipers on! I hate doing that because I’m a freak about not running wipers over a dry windshield. She’s not too happy about it either!
I like the gear shift location, too--and in reality, I've adjusted just fine. When I was test driving cars this spring, one competitor's sales rep made a comment about the GLC's 'goofy gear shift' and I responded that I actually liked it since it was out of the way... It does, however, cause the steering wheel column to be a little more cluttered. But a tradeoff I'm really enjoying! (This same sales rep managed to un-demo one of his vehicle's 'features' in that everything was controlled through a touch screen. When I said that while I liked what the touchscreen did for cleaning up a dashboard, I wasn't so sure I wanted to use a touchscreen all of the time. He said that most everything could be controlled by voice. Well, not so much. I never could get it to change the radio station, despite many tries. He looked as if he couldn't wait for me to give up so he could divert the conversation elsewhere
Old 06-30-2018, 03:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLC 450
I like the gear shift location, too--and in reality, I've adjusted just fine. When I was test driving cars this spring, one competitor's sales rep made a comment about the GLC's 'goofy gear shift' and I responded that I actually liked it since it was out of the way... It does, however, cause the steering wheel column to be a little more cluttered. But a tradeoff I'm really enjoying! (This same sales rep managed to un-demo one of his vehicle's 'features' in that everything was controlled through a touch screen. When I said that while I liked what the touchscreen did for cleaning up a dashboard, I wasn't so sure I wanted to use a touchscreen all of the time. He said that most everything could be controlled by voice. Well, not so much. I never could get it to change the radio station, despite many tries. He looked as if he couldn't wait for me to give up so he could divert the conversation elsewhere
Agree regarding gear shift, I had a land rover before and when ignition was switched on the gear change appeared out of centre console. When I bought the Merc I was disappointed with gear shift position but love it now as so quick and easy to use. Regarding touch screen, NO NO NO, gets covered in fingerprints and looks awful.
Old 07-05-2018, 03:56 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GLC43
Originally Posted by DDGator
My GLC was just built in May 2018. It exhibits the same behavior.

Mine was built in Mar 2018 and exhibits the same behavior as well.
Old 04-01-2021, 09:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLC 300 AWD
This is exactly why my 2018 GLC300 is in the shop right now. It will not automatically to into Park when ignition shut off. I really want it to because I have had occasion to push the PARK button, turn the car off, then take my foot off the brake and start to gather stuff on the passenger seat when the car is now drifting away because it's in Neutral and not park. I have to think it's a software issue because every loaner car from MB has had this feature.
Old 04-01-2021, 06:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,517 Likes on 1,119 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
I'm not sure it would be safe for the car to go into park if the engine were shut off. Imagine pushing the start/stop button at 30mph and having it go to Park.

Back in the day when the lever wasn't electric, you had to move the lever into park - to keep it from rolling away. It's a good habit to develop.
I think the cars will still forgive the oversight of forgetting to put it into Park, because it should engage Park if you shut off the engine and open the door.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Automatic Park When Ignition Switched Off