GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

Remote Start Disappointing

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-02-2018, 10:43 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
2021 GLB 250
Remote Start Disappointing

Loving my new 2018 GLC 300 (more on that later), but wondering... What is the deal with the remote start feature on the Mercedes Me app?

First, it only works some of the time, and usually takes a minute or so to happen -- so I really have to plan ahead to get any use out of this feature. Sometimes it just fails. Then I had it refuse to start the car because it had less than 5 gallons of gas... 5 gallons! Mercedes thinks I can't be trusted to start the car for 10 minutes with less than 5 gallons of gas?

BUT, the absolute worst is that the car shuts off as soon as I unlock the doors in any fashion (by remote or by proximity key). So I still have to get into a car that is not running, start the car, and wait for the A/C to come back up to speed. I understand that is potentially better because the car has been running to start the cooling process, but WHY turn off the car when it unlocks?

I'm sure its a safety thing, to prevent theft, but I don't understand the rationale. The car doesn't need to shut off if the key is present. I've had several GM vehicles that would remote start from the key fob and none of them turned off when you unlocked the door.

Does anyone else thing this is a poorly implemented feature? I suspect this could be changed with software if Mercedes was willing to do so.
Old 07-03-2018, 03:25 AM

Received 87 Likes on 83 Posts
2017 C43 AMG Saloon
It's implemented as Mercedes want it to be implemented. You've got to live with it. There is a long list of posts venting about this in the forum. Yours can be added to it. At least you get remote start. I don't get to have that luxury because it isn't available in the UK.
Old 07-03-2018, 06:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glc 220d
it isnt legal in the UK
Old 07-03-2018, 07:52 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
MB GLC250
We don't have the remote start option in the 'land down under' either.
We don't have Mercedes ME either!

Don't know why, it's not like Australians are technology adverse or don't have extensive mobile phone coverage!

Come on MB …….it's not like we are on the other side of the world !!!
...er …..what? ...Oh !! ...doh!!

Last edited by Citizen613; 07-03-2018 at 08:17 AM.
Old 07-03-2018, 09:10 AM

2021 GLB 250
Originally Posted by guhvies
It's implemented as Mercedes want it to be implemented. You've got to live with it.
I'm not sure any of this is true. I suppose they may be limited by either technology or legal issues. I can't imagine that this is how anyone wants it to be implemented. However, they won't have much incentive to change it or to offer it in other places if customers don't give them feedback.
Old 07-03-2018, 10:38 AM

Mercedes GLC43 AMG
Originally Posted by DBS007
it isnt legal in the UK
It is legal, both Volvo and Jaguar have this in the UK
Old 07-03-2018, 11:22 AM

Glc 220d
it is illigal for a car to be left running without a licenced opertaor attending (behind the wheel). it is refered to as "Quitting"

below is an extract from the Road Traffic Act 1988

Leaving motor vehicles unattended

107.—(1) Save as provided in paragraph (2), no person shall leave, or cause or permit to be left, on a road a motor vehicle which is not attended by a person licensed to drive it unless the engine is stopped and any parking brake with which the vehicle is required to be equipped is effectively set.

(2) The requirement specified in paragraph (1) as to the stopping of the engine shall not apply in respect of a vehicle—

(a) being used for ambulance, fire brigade or police purposes; or

(b) in such a position and condition as not to be likely to endanger any person or property and engaged in an operation which requires its engine to be used to—

(i) drive machinery forming part of, or mounted on, the vehicle and used for purposes other than driving the vehicle; or

(ii) maintain the electrical power of the batteries of the vehicle at a level required for driving that machinery or apparatus.

(3) In this regulation “parking brake” means a brake fitted to a vehicle in accordance with requirement 16 or 18 in Schedule 3.
Old 07-03-2018, 11:33 AM

Mercedes GLC43 AMG
it is illigal for a car to be left running without a licenced opertaor attending (behind the wheel). it is refered to as "Quitting"

below is an extract from the Road Traffic Act 1988Leaving motor vehicles unattended

107.—(1) Save as provided in paragraph (2), no person shall leave, or cause or permit to be left, on a road a motor vehicle which is not attended by a person licensed to drive it unless the engine is stopped and any parking brake with which the vehicle is required to be equipped is effectively set.

(2) The requirement specified in paragraph (1) as to the stopping of the engine shall not apply in respect of a vehicle—

(b) in such a position and condition as not to be likely to endanger any person or property and engaged in an operation which requires its engine to be used to—

(i) drive machinery forming part of, or mounted on, the vehicle and used for purposes other than driving the vehicle; or

(ii) maintain the electrical power of the batteries of the vehicle at a level required for driving that machinery or apparatus.

(3) In this regulation “parking brake” means a brake fitted to a vehicle in accordance with requirement 16 or 18 in Schedule 3.
Still doesn't explain why Volvo & Jaguar can have it though?
My father-in-law has an XE Jaguar that allows it and a mate has a Volvo XC90 that also does it, both in the UK, perhaps these manufacturers have interpreted the law differently, maybe clause b above applies??
Old 07-03-2018, 11:38 AM

Glc 220d
it is not illigal to have the system but using it is. you would be the worlds most unlucky person to get done for it thou. MB probably decisded to not give it as an option if it cant be used. i personally would love to have it.
i also start my car then lock it with the spare and go back indoors in the winter. look at me the rebel!!!
Old 07-04-2018, 12:08 AM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
2017 GLC 300 4matic, 2021 BMW R1200GS

below is an extract from the Road Traffic Act 1988

Leaving motor vehicles unattended

Did you even read the quoted regulation? Note in paragraph (1) the words "....on a road...." There is another exception in paragraph (2)(b) for when this regulation does not apply.

Seems perfectly legal to use remote start in your driveway or a parking lot and be fully compliant with this regulation. Maybe that's why other manufacturers offer remote start in the UK.

Completely agree with the OP that MB's implementation sucks.
Old 07-04-2018, 03:50 AM

Received 87 Likes on 83 Posts
2017 C43 AMG Saloon
Originally Posted by George in KG
Did you even read the quoted regulation? Note in paragraph (1) the words "....on a road...." There is another exception in paragraph (2)(b) for when this regulation does not apply.

Seems perfectly legal to use remote start in your driveway or a parking lot and be fully compliant with this regulation. Maybe that's why other manufacturers offer remote start in the UK.

Completely agree with the OP that MB's implementation sucks.
Practising English law from the safety of King George County, VA, brilliant!!! I'm not a lawyer nor do I play one in my imagination. One thing I do know is that when things go wrong in this country, the law as you read it applies differently. Manufacturers may offer remote start in the UK, legally using it is debatable. Since MB don't offer it here, the point is moot. But you might be unto something in trying to persuade MB to implement remote start differently. Could be a good lobbying opportunity...

Last edited by guhvies; 07-04-2018 at 07:39 AM.
Old 07-04-2018, 08:59 AM

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
Mercedes-Ben GLC300 4Matic
Originally Posted by DDGator
Loving my new 2018 GLC 300 (more on that later), but wondering... What is the deal with the remote start feature on the Mercedes Me app?

First, it only works some of the time, and usually takes a minute or so to happen -- so I really have to plan ahead to get any use out of this feature. Sometimes it just fails. Then I had it refuse to start the car because it had less than 5 gallons of gas... 5 gallons! Mercedes thinks I can't be trusted to start the car for 10 minutes with less than 5 gallons of gas?

BUT, the absolute worst is that the car shuts off as soon as I unlock the doors in any fashion (by remote or by proximity key). So I still have to get into a car that is not running, start the car, and wait for the A/C to come back up to speed. I understand that is potentially better because the car has been running to start the cooling process, but WHY turn off the car when it unlocks?

I'm sure its a safety thing, to prevent theft, but I don't understand the rationale. The car doesn't need to shut off if the key is present. I've had several GM vehicles that would remote start from the key fob and none of them turned off when you unlocked the door.

Does anyone else thing this is a poorly implemented feature? I suspect this could be changed with software if Mercedes was willing to do so.
agreed with you annoyances. i will say that a year ago the remote start worked 85% of the time. now its more like 99%. it rarely fails
it does seem to take a while to actually start the car, which makes no sense. then when the app says its started, it says 40 seconds have already elapsed
auto turn-off and 5 agllon minim. yes. crazy
my favorite is when i forget about the 5 gallon minimum and its 10 degrees F outside and guess what - no start!

the auto shutoff is annoying. i do believe though that lexus may do it as well.
Old 07-04-2018, 09:19 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
2018 E400 4matic coupe / 2015 GLK 250 BT / 2008 F250 Diesel / 2002 Focus SVT
That is the beauty of a free market system, you can express your frustration by spending (or not spending) your money accordingly. Also, you may get asked to participate in a Mercedes or Mercedes ME survey, make sure you provide feedback. The internet and owner feedback sites are another good place to share your gripes, complaints and praises with products.

I too am disappointed with the Mercedes ME app and features. I provided my feedback and told Mercedes I would Not be renewing my service once the free trial expires. It is too expensive and lacks many features that lesser companies have offered for a while, and yes there are the little annoyances like the way remote start functions (or doesn’t). If Mercedes hopes to keep its customers away from their competitors, they will react and give their customers what they want.

OJ
Old 07-04-2018, 11:08 AM

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
Mercedes-Ben GLC300 4Matic
Originally Posted by a64armt
That is the beauty of a free market system, you can express your frustration by spending (or not spending) your money accordingly. Also, you may get asked to participate in a Mercedes or Mercedes ME survey, make sure you provide feedback. The internet and owner feedback sites are another good place to share your gripes, complaints and praises with products.

I too am disappointed with the Mercedes ME app and features. I provided my feedback and told Mercedes I would Not be renewing my service once the free trial expires. It is too expensive and lacks many features that lesser companies have offered for a while, and yes there are the little annoyances like the way remote start functions (or doesn’t). If Mercedes hopes to keep its customers away from their competitors, they will react and give their customers what they want.

OJ
the send to benz is really useful - but perhaps only because finding a POI in the car is not easy, and most POI's cant be found

how much is it per year after the free trial? i cant seem to find this info anywhere i can see paying $199 for remote start and send to benz which i use often, but more than that i find hard to justify
i see what they charge for the upgraded features - i personally see no value in that at all
Old 07-04-2018, 05:13 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
2017 GLC 300 4matic, 2021 BMW R1200GS
Smile

Originally Posted by guhvies
Practising English law from the safety of King George County, VA, brilliant!!! I'm not a lawyer nor do I play one in my imagination. One thing I do know is that when things go wrong in this country, the law as you read it applies differently. Manufacturers may offer remote start in the UK, legally using it is debatable. Since MB don't offer it here, the point is moot. But you might be unto something in trying to persuade MB to implement remote start differently. Could be a good lobbying opportunity...
Practicing law? No. I am only reading and interpreting something written in English which is what we speak and write here in King George County.

I'm sorry remote start ins't offered in the UK, but you're not missing much given the lack of reliability, slow response and fact that the car shuts off when the car is unlocked.
The following users liked this post:
guhvies (07-05-2018)
Old 07-05-2018, 08:29 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,353 Likes on 2,807 Posts
2012 CLS63
I have one on my 1998 F150 that works flawlessly
Old 07-05-2018, 08:50 AM

2021 GLB 250
Originally Posted by hyperion667
I have one on my 1998 F150 that works flawlessly
Yes. I had one on a 2008 Saturn that worked great too -- within the distance of the key fob remote.

What is frustrating is that the MB implementation has even more promise by working with an app over the web -- it's just poorly implemented right now.
hyperion667 (07-05-2018)
Old 07-05-2018, 09:51 AM

Received 86 Likes on 80 Posts
16 GLC 19 Volvo XC40 06Corvette Z06
My view of M-B remote start is, it sucks.
Old 07-06-2018, 11:35 AM

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
2018 GLC300 4matic SUV
I'm not sure why owners would be surprised that remote start doesn't work with a low fuel level or that the engine stops when you open the door. It's not unusual for an integrated OEM remote start to operate this way. We've had cars including from GM, Subaru, MB, and Audi and all had the open-door-defeat feature.

I noticed from day one that Mercedes Me can be slow. It's better than it used to be, but still the remote start feature can take a full minute or more which is annoying. Re: 5 gallons of fuel, this is similar to other systems I've used but the 5 gallon threshold is higher than most. I would think they'd let it work as long as the low fuel indicator wasn't on, but what do I know?
Old 07-06-2018, 11:42 AM

2021 GLB 250
Originally Posted by mtberman
I'm not sure why owners would be surprised that remote start doesn't work with a low fuel level or that the engine stops when you open the door. It's not unusual for an integrated OEM remote start to operate this way. We've had cars including from GM, Subaru, MB, and Audi and all had the open-door-defeat feature.

I noticed from day one that Mercedes Me can be slow. It's better than it used to be, but still the remote start feature can take a full minute or more which is annoying. Re: 5 gallons of fuel, this is similar to other systems I've used but the 5 gallon threshold is higher than most. I would think they'd let it work as long as the low fuel indicator wasn't on, but what do I know?
Really? I've had several GM cars with remote start. None turned off when you unlocked the door or opened the door. You could get in, insert the key (when we had keys) and drive off. What GM products had a shut off?

I get the low fuel idea, but 5 gallons seems like a lot to require for a maximum 10-minute start.

Old 07-06-2018, 11:26 PM

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts
GLC43, GTI, X3, Mazda3
Originally Posted by larrypmyers
My view of M-B remote start is, it sucks.
Well said and quite pithy.

Also, wait until you try the "unlock twice and hold the keyfob to lower the windows" feature on a hot day. You literally have to be right on top of the vehicle to work, so basically useless. Our 7 yr old Acura functions better with this feature and works from quite a distance to start releasing heat from the interior.

So much for "the best or nothing"...
Old 07-06-2018, 11:31 PM

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
2018 GLC300 4matic SUV
Originally Posted by Chrisk03
Well said and quite pithy.

Also, wait until you try the "unlock twice and hold the keyfob to lower the windows" feature on a hot day. You literally have to be right on top of the vehicle to work, so basically useless. Our 7 yr old Acura functions better with this feature and works from quite a distance to start releasing heat from the interior.

So much for "the best or nothing"...
You may want to have that checked. Mine works from about 40 feet away
Old 07-07-2018, 12:03 AM

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
'17 BMW X3, '18 GLC300 4Matic

I’m glad this came up. I’m retired and don’t necessarily go out every day, but it’s been over 90 degrees a LOT lately and I haven’t thought to even use that feature. I’ve never had it on a car before. Agree with Mtberman. I’m sure I’ve used the fob to check that it was locked from at least 40-50 feet away.

Of course, I planned to use remote start to get the AC going before I got in. But like others have said, it’s unreliable enough to make it a pain to use. If MB ever gets that nailed down I won’t need to worry about lowering my windows!
Old 07-07-2018, 12:11 AM

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts
GLC43, GTI, X3, Mazda3
Thanks for that info! On the list for my dealer to check at my first service.
Old 08-07-2018, 09:40 PM

2021 GLB 250
Having owed the car for two months now, it's not getting any better.

For every 10 times I try to remote start, it starts successfully about 4 times. For 4 of the 10, it just won't connect. The fifth time it takes so long that I am at the car before it actually starts. The sixth time, the car has less than 5 gallons of gas...
ajmtbm (08-07-2018)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Remote Start Disappointing