GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

Electronics go out after driving in heavy rain

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-21-2018, 11:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glc300
Electronics go out after driving in heavy rain

GLC 300, 2017. This cars electronics have gone out twice after driving in heavy rain. This also happened once, and I took it in to the dealership. There was an empty cooler in my cargo space, and they blamed it on the cooler leaking. I doubt this, as there was no water on the cargo cover. The repair cost me $1600, and I felt like at the very least it was a design flaw that electronics would be located under the cargo space. I had also spent the extra $150 for a Mercedes cargo cover when I purchased the car. Does this seem normal?
Old 08-21-2018, 12:37 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2018 GLC300
Originally Posted by McClamroch
GLC 300, 2017. This cars electronics have gone out twice after driving in heavy rain. This also happened once, and I took it in to the dealership. There was an empty cooler in my cargo space, and they blamed it on the cooler leaking. I doubt this, as there was no water on the cargo cover. The repair cost me $1600, and I felt like at the very least it was a design flaw that electronics would be located under the cargo space. I had also spent the extra $150 for a Mercedes cargo cover when I purchased the car. Does this seem normal?
On a recent cross country trip in my 2018 GLC300 I had the radar "go out" several times with an error message "dirty sensor" during extremely heavy rain (visibility was very low; low enough that I pulled over right afterwards...something I rarely do). I noticed it usually occurred after driving through standing water that splashed everywhere. After the rain passed it took several minutes for the radar to resume functioning (with no action on my part). I all honesty I was very satisfied that the radar worked as well as it did and can fully understand what happened. All in all I am impressed with Drive Pilot although there a couple of idiosyncracies that take getting used to..one is where the car has a tendency to want to follow the solid white line off of an exit but quickly catches itself when the solid white line is detected again after the exit ramp. Many states now seem to be painting dotted white lines across exit ramps to mitigate (in my opinion) this tendency...it does seem to "solve" the tendency for the car to very briefly start to follow the solid white line off the exit). I am anxiously looking forward to the next Drive Pilot iteration.

Last edited by jj31234; 08-21-2018 at 12:41 PM. Reason: clarified
Old 08-21-2018, 12:44 PM

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
2018 GLC300 4matic SUV
Sounds normal. There are significant electronics under the floors and trunk/cargo area of most cars. As a general thing, it's important that the interior of any vehicle remain as dry as possible.

I used to live in the Pacific Northwest region of the US and you would sometimes see a used car with significant moisture on the inside of the windows. This typically would occur if the sun came out early in the day after a cold overnight. I was told, soon after moving there, to never buy a car with that appearance or with any hint of mold smell. The reason given was that once water gets inside, the resulting steam and water vapor would fry the electronics in ways you could never fully resolve.