GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

Trading up to GLE350?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-27-2018, 10:44 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 Volkswagen GTI (mine), 2016 Mercedes GLC300 (wife's)
Trading up to GLE350?

With the new GLE coming out soon and good deals anticipated on new and pre-owned current-generation GLEs, are any GLC owners thinking about trading up?

My wife has a 2016 GLC300. We've been generally pleased with the performance and space, but have been let down by the reliability and build quality and are starting to miss features like CarPlay and radar cruise that I have in my VW GTI.

Currently, the dealer has our car, trying to figure out a suspension noise and drivetrain vibration, and they've given us a new GLE350 as a loaner. It definitely feels a bit slower and more-dated than the GLC, but it is roomier, more comfortable, has CarPlay, and feels MUCH more solid (no squeaks, rattles, or vibrations).

Just wondering if any GLC owners have moved up to the GLE and were pleased/not pleased? How does GLE reliability compare with the GLC?
Old 09-27-2018, 03:31 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
GLC 300 4Matic, Sport+Night
Wow, man! Sounds like you're stalking me. My 2017 is also in the shop, inspecting rattles with the suspension (even though the rear shocks were already replaced once). I too have a GLE loaner -- and it's a world of difference in the quality / very solid. I'm sad to say, I'm not interested in the GLE (not my cup of tea, design wise), but I am considering (don't hate me) trading in the GLC for the new Q5 or the new X3 -- will need to test drive them both. This was my first MB, a dream I've had since I was a kid, (but usually drove Lexus and Acura because my father always influenced me they are no-worries, low up keep automobiles, and today he reminds me of this opinion! :-D ). I'm saddened the GLC/MB hasn't quite added up to my expectations. My rental car usually always has CarPlay and every time I get back into my GLC, I really regret selecting a car without it, albeit not available in 2017 (why? considering the C and many other models had it). Anyway, good luck with the search -- just wanted to say, "I hear ya, man."

Originally Posted by gkw4815
With the new GLE coming out soon and good deals anticipated on new and pre-owned current-generation GLEs, are any GLC owners thinking about trading up?

My wife has a 2016 GLC300. We've been generally pleased with the performance and space, but have been let down by the reliability and build quality and are starting to miss features like CarPlay and radar cruise that I have in my VW GTI.

Currently, the dealer has our car, trying to figure out a suspension noise and drivetrain vibration, and they've given us a new GLE350 as a loaner. It definitely feels a bit slower and more-dated than the GLC, but it is roomier, more comfortable, has CarPlay, and feels MUCH more solid (no squeaks, rattles, or vibrations).

Just wondering if any GLC owners have moved up to the GLE and were pleased/not pleased? How does GLE reliability compare with the GLC?
Old 09-27-2018, 04:13 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2019 GLC300 SUV
too heavy, looks outdated, more fuel consumption. id rather get the newest gle coming soon
The following users liked this post:
Bernadôtte (09-29-2018)
Old 09-27-2018, 05:11 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
S550,GLC300
I would not term its as " trading up" but thats just me personally, I drove a few new GLE models and simply did not like them, as others have posted it felt to big and bulky and not a pleasure to drive compared to the GLC.
Old 09-27-2018, 07:47 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
GLC, Q7
From experience ( GL and GLC purchased soon after release) it would be unwise to purchase the new GLE on its release. MB quality control isn't what it use to be. I suspect the current GLE or soon refreshed GLC , would be good buys.
Old 09-28-2018, 08:50 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 Volkswagen GTI (mine), 2016 Mercedes GLC300 (wife's)
Thanks for all of your feedback. Agree about avoiding first-model-year vehicles, especially after our less-than-stellar experience with our 2016. We'd only consider a used 2016-2018 GLE350, which hopefully is a mature-enough design that most bugs have been worked out.

Definitely agree that the GLE is less sporty than the GLC, and has a couple of other strikes against it (was surprised to see that it uses an antiquated two-step folding mechanism for the backseat, compared with the GLC's one-touch releases). For our purposes though, it's looking like a better fit. We only drive 5000-6000 miles a year, usually in straight lines over rough, traffic-clogged streets. So ride comfort and build quality (absence of squeaks/rattles) are more important to us than fuel economy or sportiness (especially since we also have the GTI as a sporty vehicle).
Old 11-02-2018, 02:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 408 Likes on 336 Posts
MB’s
Originally Posted by protseng
too heavy, looks outdated, more fuel consumption. id rather get the newest gle coming soon

Are we driving it around a track? lol common even the GLC is a heavy car...
Old 11-02-2018, 02:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB’s

We looked at the GLA, GLC, GLE/ML and the choice was clear to us. The GLE or ML was it because it has the most space, most comfort. It rides amazing. It is very comfortable. The interior is solid and well made. No rattles or squeaks like we found in the lower end cars. Options? Well most GLC's are base model unless you order one specific. If you buy a good one you can get leather, pano and everything in a GLC but unfortunate for us most we looked at were base models.
Old 11-02-2018, 02:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB’s
Thanks for all of your feedback. Agree about avoiding first-model-year vehicles, especially after our less-than-stellar experience with our 2016. We'd only consider a used 2016-2018 GLE350, which hopefully is a mature-enough design that most bugs have been worked out.

Definitely agree that the GLE is less sporty than the GLC, and has a couple of other strikes against it (was surprised to see that it uses an antiquated two-step folding mechanism for the backseat, compared with the GLC's one-touch releases). For our purposes though, it's looking like a better fit. We only drive 5000-6000 miles a year, usually in straight lines over rough, traffic-clogged streets. So ride comfort and build quality (absence of squeaks/rattles) are more important to us than fuel economy or sportiness (especially since we also have the GTI as a sporty vehicle).
The GLE is based on the W166 chassis and it is the same as the ML. All they did was change the name.
Old 11-05-2018, 10:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
09 C63
In the GLE the upside is the new features coming in the new one. I believe OP mentioned getting a deal on the last of the old generation. Don't do it - you'll regret the 'loss' of features. The tech in the new ones is amazing. That being said, to each their own. As one stated, they drive on bumpy crowded streets... to me, that's reason enough not to get one. It's a big vehicle! I see people driving escalades and yukon denali cars around crowded Chicago streets all the time. Sure you're comfy, but squirting in an out of traffic - forget it. Plus, almost always, it's one person driving that air craft carrier-sized car which is wasteful on gas and environment. But I'll set the greenism aside
Old 11-05-2018, 02:09 PM

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
Mercedes-Ben GLC300 4Matic
has pricing on the new GLE been released? i assume it will be a decent jump up compared to the comparably equipped current model?
Old 11-05-2018, 02:42 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
2021 GLB 250
are starting to miss features like CarPlay and radar cruise that I have in my VW GTI.
These features are available on the 2018 GLC.