GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

Wait for 2020? How much of an improvement?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-03-2018, 02:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2019 GLC 300 4Matic
I think my 2019 GLC was assembled in Finland. This is my 3rd Mercedes in 10 years and the quality has gone down in a lot of ways. More plastic used, the quality of leather has declined and the lower model cars can feel a bit cheap. That said, I find MB interiors way nicer than the majority of its competitors (BMW, I'm looking at you).

Ideally I'd imagine everyone would want a Mercedes-Benz made in Germany however given the choice between the USA or India, I would much rather have a MB made in the USA! USA has strict regulations, etc.
Old 10-07-2018, 07:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
N/A
Thanks everyone for the advice. Picked up the car today. Will post pictures soon.

I have a couple of questions about prepaid maintenance and extended limited warranty (ELW):

1) Prepaid Maintenance: Would you recommend I get a 4 year now or do the Service A and then do a 3 year maintenance? I was quoted $1020+tax for 3 years and $1335+tax for 4 years by Jeff. Are the prices now standardized because that's the same price for the Mercedes-Benz Star Service on the mbusa.com website when building a GLC 300? What's weird about that is my local dealer quoted me $1220 for the 3 year and $1535 for the 4 year.

2) Extended Limited Warranty (ELW): Would you recommend getting it now? My guess is prices might go up if I don't get it now. Got a quote for 7year/75000 miles for $1600+tax. Good price? Also, my understanding is I can get a refund if cancelled before the original warranty period expires.

Thanks again for the help.
Old 10-09-2018, 11:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
09 C63
On the pricing - dealer can mark up or discount as they like. They may offer it to you for 900/1200 if they wanted to. My math has this as roughly same price pre-paid or post-paid with coupons. You also have the option of doing service A (which is purely an oil change) wherever you want, further saving you money. Just save the receipts.

On the timing, you can't do ... wait for Service A, then start 3 years. It's 3 or 4 years from the day you sign. Keep that in mind when calculating.

Extended warranty - price seems really good for a 7 year plan, but let's distill this - it's really only a 3/25 plan because you get 4/50 from the factory. But still a decent price. If you will own this car that long I think get it. There is so much electronic junk in all cars these days, it's what made me get rid of one of my favorite cars, an E90 M3. I got to within a few months of the end of the extended warranty and freaked out. Transmission - $25k, engine blown? 35k, need a new head unit for the infotainment? $5k please. And so on. Yes, you can get a refund, but read that carefully - it may still prorate somewhat even if you don't reach factory end. In the end, you'll get some back either way though. I've had that happen partially and fully in the past, depended on the manufacturer. One last thing on this topic - if you plan on modding your car at all, then the warranty may be moot depending on your plans. But GLCs are not exactly known for tuning/modding.
The following users liked this post:
gbenrus25 (10-23-2018)
Old 10-09-2018, 01:39 PM

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
Mercedes-Ben GLC300 4Matic
Originally Posted by peet
On the pricing - dealer can mark up or discount as they like. They may offer it to you for 900/1200 if they wanted to. My math has this as roughly same price pre-paid or post-paid with coupons. You also have the option of doing service A (which is purely an oil change) wherever you want, further saving you money. Just save the receipts.

On the timing, you can't do ... wait for Service A, then start 3 years. It's 3 or 4 years from the day you sign. Keep that in mind when calculating.

Extended warranty - price seems really good for a 7 year plan, but let's distill this - it's really only a 3/25 plan because you get 4/50 from the factory. But still a decent price. If you will own this car that long I think get it. There is so much electronic junk in all cars these days, it's what made me get rid of one of my favorite cars, an E90 M3. I got to within a few months of the end of the extended warranty and freaked out. Transmission - $25k, engine blown? 35k, need a new head unit for the infotainment? $5k please. And so on. Yes, you can get a refund, but read that carefully - it may still prorate somewhat even if you don't reach factory end. In the end, you'll get some back either way though. I've had that happen partially and fully in the past, depended on the manufacturer. One last thing on this topic - if you plan on modding your car at all, then the warranty may be moot depending on your plans. But GLCs are not exactly known for tuning/modding.
Transmission - $25k? i hope you mistyped that though i fear you probably didn't. Ouch!
Old 10-10-2018, 09:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 Corolla
Does the 2019 Comand system have the voice control where you can tell the car to open the sunroof or turn on the seat warmer like in the 2019 C-Class Sedan?
Old 10-11-2018, 11:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
09 C63
Originally Posted by ajmtbm
Transmission - $25k? i hope you mistyped that though i fear you probably didn't. Ouch!
Nope. Sadly not - had a friend who blew his. It's a silly hi spec double clutch with race modes. So very complex. In my buddy's case, his blew up during warranty and they showed him the price tag. Germany also insisted the dealer pack it up and FEDEX it back for analysis immediately. WOW.