GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

Waze is finally on CarPlay

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-01-2018, 09:50 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
2021 GLB 250
Waze is finally on CarPlay

For those who were waiting, you can finally get the Waze app on Apple CarPlay. You have to update your phone to iOs 12, and you have to have the most recent version of the Waz app. It works great! I am even happier with CarPlay now that I can use my navigation app of choice.

Old 10-01-2018, 03:47 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
GLC 300
Thanks for letting us know your experience DDGator. I read about a number of limitations with Waze and Google Maps on the Verge here:the verge review and was wondering what others' experiences were like. I tried Google and encountered an issue they mention in the article, namely it just hanging for no reason. Will try out Waze later this week.

Thanks,
Scott
Old 10-02-2018, 11:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
09 C63
Waze has crashed my screen so I had to hold power button to power down and reboot the car display. It's had some wonky things happen, but overall it's pretty much as he regular app. The layout on Carplay has caused some debate... for example left-hand drive owners (UK, Japan) want the text and speed limit sides swapped. It doesn't show your GPS speed (just not enough real estate as is... though IMHO they could easily reduce the size of many of the items, I doubt they can due to Apple's policies on text sizes of anything on a CarPlay display). I am not 100% certain, but route calculation seems lazier than on the actual app. The last few commutes took the most direct way - like Apple would. Where Waze normally has be going all over the place to bypass slowdowns. Lastly, my pet peeve, hitting the nav button on the dashboard opens Apple Maps. No matter what nav app you are running. However, all those things aside, it's refreshing to have it on a 7" screen at eye height versus the ususal phone in a mount or ashtray and everything being sized super tiny for a smartphone screen.