GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

GLC reliability

Old 11-07-2018, 06:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
GLC reliability

I am a future MB owner, will buy in less than a year a GLC model year 2020.

Having never owned german cars, I am a little fearful of the reliability and maintenance costs.

What can I expect in terms of annual costs (before warranty ends but also after it ends)?

Edit: removed reference to CR. I saw posts here detailing why they lowered the GLCs reliability.

Last edited by j4ypal; 11-08-2018 at 09:01 PM.
Old 11-07-2018, 07:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 151 Likes on 125 Posts
2016 GLC 250d AMG pack, 2017 GLC Coupe 250d AMG pack , 2002 BMW 330Ci convertible, 2021 BMX X1 sD20i
Hi,
Please attach report, what country are you in, likely to purchase.
Thanks
Old 11-07-2018, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by Teckno
Hi,
Please attach report, what country are you in, likely to purchase.
Thanks
I live in Canada. Sorry I will post tonight, doesn't work on iPhone. But the rating is the same that was discussed a while back. It's 54 global rating and 1/5 reliability. See this discussion: https://mbworld.org/forums/glc-class...lity-poor.html

I am actually MORE curious about real life experience and ownership cost before and after warranty ends. Nobody talks about that...

Like, am I looking at 3000$ maintenance and repairs per year before and 5000$ after warranty ends? Do people have a lot of parts fail after 4 years?

I know they cost more than a japanese car but I'd like a rough estimate.

Thanks.

Last edited by j4ypal; 11-07-2018 at 08:22 AM.
Old 11-07-2018, 08:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 764 Posts
2003 CL 600
They aren't 4 years old yet so the verdict still isn't in on that. They have been very reliable so far. There have been 3-4 recalls for nonsense things, which negatively impacts the score on those types of review sites. So far they have been really good from what we've seen in the dealership service dept.

Maintenance is no different than a C class, basics only for the first 40k miles. A simple oil change "A service" at 10/30k, a larger "B service" at 20/40k with filters added.
Old 11-07-2018, 09:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 159 Likes on 150 Posts
2016 GLC300 Dakota Brown on Espresso Brown Leather, 2014 C250 Sport Diamond Silver
Had mine since Feb 16. I have had no issues.
Old 11-07-2018, 12:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 301 Likes on 190 Posts
GLC 450
My UK one since March17, no issues except for the dreaded crabbing which all RHD cars suffer from if on summer tyres.
Old 11-07-2018, 03:37 PM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
2020 GLC 300 4Matic - Brilliant Blue/Black MB Tex, Premium Pkg, Multimedia Pkg,Parking & Driver Asst
Personally, I've been very disappointed with the reliability of my particular GLC. I've had a slew of issues with it, including one that needed the dashboard to be removed, along with some still unresolved rattles. Although other GLC's have been reliable, I'm convinced mine just wasn't built well.

I've had BMW's before this one, and a VW before that, and those German cars were pretty much trouble free. Just wear items over time for the most part. However in general, they'll never be as reliable as a Toyota or Honda.
Old 11-07-2018, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Roowah
Personally, I've been very disappointed with the reliability of my particular GLC. I've had a slew of issues with it, including one that needed the dashboard to be removed, along with some still unresolved rattles. Although other GLC's have been reliable, I'm convinced mine just wasn't built well.

I've had BMW's before this one, and a VW before that, and those German cars were pretty much trouble free. Just wear items over time for the most part. However in general, they'll never be as reliable as a Toyota or Honda.
Thanks for your input. What model year is your GLC? Were you in the first builds of that year?
Old 11-07-2018, 04:13 PM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
2020 GLC 300 4Matic - Brilliant Blue/Black MB Tex, Premium Pkg, Multimedia Pkg,Parking & Driver Asst
Originally Posted by j4ypal
Thanks for your input. What model year is your GLC? Were you in the first builds of that year?
It's a 2017 model year. Actually from what I gather, mine was part of the last 2017's built before the factory shut down to start up again for the 2018 vehicles. My original assumption was that mine would be one of the most reliable as they've had the whole model year to tweak things, but I think my build was rushed and received parts from the bottom of the parts bin.
Old 11-07-2018, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by Roowah
It's a 2017 model year. Actually from what I gather, mine was part of the last 2017's built before the factory shut down to start up again for the 2018 vehicles. My original assumption was that mine would be one of the most reliable as they've had the whole model year to tweak things, but I think my build was rushed and received parts from the bottom of the parts bin.
Sorry to hear that. I hope you get everything sorted out.

From what I hear around this forum, this kind of "lemon" situation seems to be rather rare. It's a gamble though....
Old 11-07-2018, 11:29 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GLC300 4Matic
I started the thread about Consumer Reports downgrading the GLC reliability. I have had my GLC now for close to 2 years and have 30,000 miles on it. I do my own routine maintenance as it is quite easy and I am experienced in that type of thing. Routine maintenance costs only a little more than say a Japanese vehicle if you do it yourself. The prices for A and B service done by the MB dealer are in my mind extremely high as compared to other vehicles and dealers. During the few recalls and one warranty work item I have had done, the dealer checks the computer for the latest updates which I cannot do. If you have the dealer perform all the routine maintenance, then it will be quite expensive.
The only complaints I have is that I have the well known brake squeel when cold and backing out of my garage, and the MBTex upholstery developed a small hole in it after 14,000 miles. It simply wore thru the outer layer with minimal use. My dealer was great and replaced the upholstery under warranty. That outer layer is super thin. I will never get MBTex again.
On the positive side, I really like driving the GLC, and plan to keep it beyond the warranty. Even the Scorpion run flat tires are lasting much longer than people here complain about. My tire dealer, who does my rotations for free, said my remaining tread is 7/32 at 30,000 miles and that is really good. Brake pads were like new. It does not burn much if any oil. I am sure that I will have things break at sometime after the warranty runs out and if it takes an MB dealer to repair it, it will be pricey. At that time, I will probably trade it in.
Old 11-08-2018, 03:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 151 Likes on 125 Posts
2016 GLC 250d AMG pack, 2017 GLC Coupe 250d AMG pack , 2002 BMW 330Ci convertible, 2021 BMX X1 sD20i
Hi, In Australia, RHD unit. Had tyre crabbing issues that were 95% resolved by changing tyres to Goodyear All Season M&S - very happy.
Yes some minor recalls, all good. Wheel align setttings being changed to try and resolve RHD crabbing and outer tyre shoulder wear.
No brake squeal, was minor, but stopped early. Minimal wiper shudder, generally excellent.
Failed fuel pump on our diesel unit early on, around 10,oookm I think. Fixed after two tows when car shut down. Good support from Dealership.
Car approaching 3 year warranty period and expect to have 60,000km on clock by then. Small rattle in rear wheel arch currently, possibly something loose in boot well or rear shocker, will investigate. We have steel springs on wagon, hate the harshness on speed humps / traps - 25kph max, otherwise need new fillings in teeth, lol.
We have taken out 3rd party extended warranty for another 5 years. Yes Dealer charges are a concern re cost, but at this stage if they continue to provide positive support, then they will keep my business, and my Dollars $$.
We also have a Coupe with 2 years warranty approaching and expect to have 26,000km on clock. Tyres replaced free by dealer to Goodyear All Seasons to fix crabbing. This has air suspension, much better ride and ability to traverse road humps. Diesel as well. No big issues, recalls minimal, brake squeal fixed, wiper shudder worse, fixed by dealer chip dep cleaning glass area, been fine since.
Also purchased extended warranty.
Would we buy again, YES.
Still concerned by MB Oz attitude to other owners, but maybe its the way we discus concerns with Dealer, who has been supportive, once ‘we’ sat down and had a frank and honest discussion re expectations and support required. Yes concerned at hourly price for labour and no free software updates, unless linked to recall or warranty claim by dealer.
Anticipate tyres to last 45-50,000km. Unfortunately full set brakes seem to only last around 42,000km due to adaptive cruise control.
Fuel economy very good, run tyres at 36psi cold, or 38psi when warm (drive time to nearest garage).
For us they are the right car at the right time. Expect to look at trading in 5 years time (8 yo car then) and maybe electric, or hybrid. Buy another Mercedes, possibly - always investigate brands and safety features, incl ride and design.
Hope this helps.
Old 11-08-2018, 07:43 PM

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts
2017 GLC 300
I've owned my GLC since May 2017. It is a 2017 that I bought CPO ex-daily loaner with less than 4,000 miles. I drive a lot - it has about 64,000 miles on it now - and I haven't even started my annual coast-to-coast winter trek yet for this year.

I like the car a lot, but I have to admit that it's had more problems than my previous German cars (VW, BMW, Audi). Nothing really serious and all covered under warranty. Early on I noticed excessive wind noise and the front end was doing a jitterbug on broken pavement. The dealer installed acoustic glass in the front side windows and spent a few days fiddling with the front suspension, which pretty much fixed the problems, but trading my worn-out run flats for non-run flat Michelins at 34,000 miles cured the suspension problem completely. Other than that, I had the blind spot monitor go out. It was fixed under CPO warranty after a bit of drama between me and the dealer. Oh yeah, and a rear speaker mount broke or came loose, also fixed under warranty. So, not perfect but not horrible.

My general overall complaint about the GLC is that it's not as tight body-wise as I expect a German car to be. Not much in the way of rattles really, it just doesn't feel as solid as I'd expected, especially after my Audi A3, the all-time solidity champ that I swear was carved out of a single block of iron.

Expensive to maintain? Yeah, big time, even with the service packages. It's gotten much more reasonable since I untethered from dealer and started taking it to an independant shop. The most critical item is getting the oil changed every 7500 miles, the other things are seen to on an as-needed basis. I did have it in for an A service at 60,000 so a dealer could give it a thorough checkup. Astonishingly, the front brake pads were still like new at 10mm. (I had them double-check that one! To my knowledge they are the originals.) And I am regularly getting 30 mpg, a testament to almost exclusively highway driving.

So next week I'll pack up the GLC, crank up the Burmeister and head for the left coast, fully expecting it to get me there and back in serenity and without fuss and all at a reasonable cost for the type of car it is. Can't ask for much more than that.
Old 11-08-2018, 08:26 PM

Received 132 Likes on 107 Posts
GLC43, GTI, X3, Mazda3
Knock on wood, but no reliability problems on my 2018 GLC, so far. That said, I've had the car about a year now and only have 5500 miles on it, so probably not best to go by my experience. I do have a few minor complaints, but nothing major. Maintenance can be expensive vs other makes, IMO. My first service at the dealer, A1 (basically an oil change, new wiper blades and check things), is going to run about $230. I will be using a MB indy service shop after 3 years...or sooner, depending on the B1 service cost.

As for CR...I used to like them, but put very little faith in their ratings anymore. Last year they rated the GLC "great" in October and then "bad in November. Come on, man.
Old 11-09-2018, 01:58 PM

Received 77 Likes on 57 Posts
GLC300 (mine) GLK250 (wife's)
Had my GLC since Mar '17. Absolutely flawless except for the previously-mentioned recalls which were basically nothing burgers. One example - if your engine hydro-locks (say in a flood) and you try to crank the engine multiple times, the starter solenoid may overheat so they added a fusible link. With any engine, if it hydro-locks I'd guess you have bigger problems than an overheating solenoid. This is one example of why the CR ratings are often meaningless.
My wife's 2015 GLK has been absolutely trouble free also (touch wood).
I think that the biggest MB gripe is the dealer maintenance costs which are astronomical. Every MB service dept should have a defibrillator on site just in case. I avoid this by DIY-ing everything. If that's not an option a good MB indy will be fine providing you ensure that the correct fluids, OE filters and parts are used (no Fram thank you).
Several years ago my wife bought an an Acura which had a CV joint fail at 500 mi. So much for bulletproof reliability. You just never know.