Notices
GLC Class (X253 )
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CarPlay Broke with Update!

Old 12-20-2018, 07:23 AM

glc
CarPlay Broke with Update!

so my GLC didnít come with CarPlay I got the unichip aftermarket module and activated it like that and it worked fine. Took it to the dealer for a scratch and they did a recall on the car which updates the head unit apparently for a child seat belt issue. I was not told they were going to do this, now CarPlay wonít work and when I plug in the OBD2 it fails at 15% when activating. Iím pretty pissed right now. Any advice? Thanks.
Old 12-20-2018, 03:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A gaggle of MB's
I would suggest you email UniChip the details - I "think" once the UniChip "activates" - any 2nd use is automatically a "deactivation" - and since it doesn't see the original install it stops - that's my "guess" - UniChip "should" be able to help you out after they check with the original coder they buy their modules from.
Old 12-20-2018, 03:31 PM

glc
Originally Posted by fabbrisd1 View Post
I would suggest you email UniChip the details - I "think" once the UniChip "activates" - any 2nd use is automatically a "deactivation" - and since it doesn't see the original install it stops - that's my "guess" - UniChip "should" be able to help you out after they check with the original coder they buy their modules from.
I think that is what is happening, it makes sense but I'm trying to figure out how that happened where it was removed, my setting are preserved but the update to the car did something.
Old 12-21-2018, 10:31 AM

AMG GTS, AMG E63S, GLC300
My GLC was recently serviced and received an update as well per recall. My GLC came with CarPlay----and this feature was turned off by the update. Took some digging around and finally figured out that CarPlay was turned off by the update. Went in manually on the car set up screens to re-activate or turn it back on. I suspect this will happen with some features every time there is a software update.
Old 12-21-2018, 11:05 AM

glc
Where did you go specifically, maybe mine just needs to be turned on again but I donít see any sign of it
Old 12-21-2018, 11:30 AM

AMG GTS, AMG E63S, GLC300
On the center counsole, press Tel. As I recall, it is in the set-up area for the phone. You will see options for Android Auto and Apple CarPlay. After the update it was shut off. (Normally I just enter the car and plug my phone in and it starts) I simply turned the options back on. Back to normal! My vehicle is a 2018 GLC 4matic and came with this option. I hope this works for your set up.
Old 12-27-2018, 03:52 PM

glc
so after contacting my ebay seller it looks like mercedes closed the loop hole that allowed for activation. I'm trying a nearby shop hopefully they have a different method. Looks like mercedes had a airbag recall and threw this in there which I think is messed up.
Old 01-28-2019, 11:34 PM

2019 GLC 300 Coupe, 2017 C300 Coupe
Did you find a solution for this issue? I unlocked my 2019 GLC Carplay feature with the unichip module and I received a recall letter from MB about the airbag/radio upgrade. I am hesitant to take it in based on your experience.
Old 01-29-2019, 03:17 PM

glc
no update, ive spent way to much time and money and energy to get it work again, avoid the update at all costs if you want carplay. I would disconnect your head unit even when taking the car for servicing or something its a real pain in the ***.