GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

Problem with GLC hybrid system

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-21-2018, 08:59 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Problem with GLC hybrid system

Good day everyone!
We recently purchased a GLC 350e and only put about 750km. We had experienced mulfunction light (check engine, reverse gear not possible) a few times and they went away themselves. We took it to the dealer and they could not figure anything out. For the past two days, we started to see hybrid system malfunction. And again, it came and went off many times. We went to dealer today with the malfunction light on, and the manager drove around in “charge mode” and said the light went away. He said we should not leave it in “hybrid” mode since it will drain the battery?! We knew it wasn’t the reason since we do not believe Mercedes will create driving mode you should not drive your car in. They also mentioned we should not drive with a lot of short trips (pure electric driving) since it is bad for the car and recommended we should let the engine runs everyday! We are really confused with all these.
Does anyone have any experience or thoughts?
We plug in and charge every night as well.

Your help is really appreciated!
The following users liked this post:
viswaku (06-09-2021)
Old 12-24-2018, 07:48 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
GLC, EQE SUV
I have a GLC350e, it has nothing what you described, you should be able to do any driving mode and electric mode without any problem.
Through what your dealer told you, I can only say is FXXXing your dealer.

I suggest you escalate this to Mercedes USA, complain and talk about Lemon law if dealer couldn't resolve your issue for three times.

My GLC350e does have one issue that I cannot remotely schedule the pre-entry setup on my phone, I cannot remotely see the charging status, etc, but since it is not the failure on the car, and my wife like this suv, I have to compromise this problem.
Ammar (07-15-2022)
Old 12-28-2018, 04:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLC 350e
Haha this must be a joke
Drive your hybrid car in charge mode, just don't believe someone was trying to sell it to you.
I've had 350e since sept 2017 or 21.000km and use hybrid mode all the time, only time I use charge mode is to have battery around 80% when I leave the car at the airport for weeks.

Hope this is a joke, no manager should be so ......
Please comment about how this goes
Ammar (07-15-2022)
Old 08-27-2019, 04:09 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
GLC 350e
Recently bought a GLC 350e 3 weeks ago. Battery is only maxing at 11 miles with a 100%. Seems the battery is acting like it's an old battery that's been used alot (many cycles). I recently read that it's not good to let the battery run to 0 and that's what the charge state was at the dealer when I test drove it. There's also a TSB out regarding range showing less than normal after a short time. Anyone else experience similar issue? I'm taking it in to service to have that checked.

Also, I recently took it on a run to Vegas and back -- the mileage seems to really suck for a 4 cylinder. My Silverado SS (V8) and Acura MDX (V6) make it to Vegas no problem. I had to top it off once I hit town since I got a low fuel light which normally in all my other vehicles I have about 100-150 miles of around town when I arrive. For a 4-cylinder turbo engine, I presumed the range would be equitable even with a smaller tank. I always cruise at 78-80mph. Very surprising since mine was built in Germany. I guess these GLC 350e's won't fair well on the Autobahn at 130mph+. MBZ used to be designed accordingly for speed and distance -- bigger oil sumps, etc. So be forewarned -- if you run a GLC350e from LA to Vegas, make sure you get a splash of fuel at Stateline to have distance insurance. MBZ needs more electric range and a couple gallons more in the tank, The average stops in the USA are at about 300-310 miles.
The following 2 users liked this post by TheIronMan:
Ammar (07-15-2022), MBOwner2020 (01-24-2020)
Old 09-04-2019, 01:10 PM

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts
2020 GLC 300
Originally Posted by TheIronMan
Recently bought a GLC 350e 3 weeks ago. Battery is only maxing at 11 miles with a 100%. Seems the battery is acting like it's an old battery that's been used alot (many cycles). I recently read that it's not good to let the battery run to 0 and that's what the charge state was at the dealer when I test drove it. There's also a TSB out regarding range showing less than normal after a short time. Anyone else experience similar issue? I'm taking it in to service to have that checked.

Also, I recently took it on a run to Vegas and back -- the mileage seems to really suck for a 4 cylinder. My Silverado SS (V8) and Acura MDX (V6) make it to Vegas no problem. I had to top it off once I hit town since I got a low fuel light which normally in all my other vehicles I have about 100-150 miles of around town when I arrive. For a 4-cylinder turbo engine, I presumed the range would be equitable even with a smaller tank. I always cruise at 78-80mph. Very surprising since mine was built in Germany. I guess these GLC 350e's won't fair well on the Autobahn at 130mph+. MBZ used to be designed accordingly for speed and distance -- bigger oil sumps, etc. So be forewarned -- if you run a GLC350e from LA to Vegas, make sure you get a splash of fuel at Stateline to have distance insurance. MBZ needs more electric range and a couple gallons more in the tank, The average stops in the USA are at about 300-310 miles.
Hybrids are smart enough that when they show you 0% battery, there's really something closer to 20% of battery left. To get batteries to last longer, they program the car not to go below 20% and not above 90%, but show the driver 0-100% so they don't complain.

Talking about range has nothing to do with mpg, so comparing your Merc to a Silverado, you need to only talk about mpg and not range. Hybrids have less room for a fuel tank because of all the other stuff, like batteries, they have to package in the same space because owners get bent out of shape when they take up occupant or storage space with the extra equipment. And on long highway trips, the electric motors do nothing for you except add weight. Hybrids are for city driving.

If you wanted a car with more range, you should have shopped by range before making your buying decision. No way to fix that mistake now other than selling the car.

Last edited by 2020GLC300; 09-04-2019 at 01:30 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by 2020GLC300:
Ammar (07-15-2022), Manish Singhal (01-20-2020)
Old 01-24-2020, 11:25 PM

GLC 350e
This is an attempt to resurrect an old thread—does anyone have issues with not being able to access e-mode even when the charge shows 100%?
Old 01-25-2020, 12:10 AM

GLC, EQE SUV
Originally Posted by MBOwner2020
This is an attempt to resurrect an old thread—does anyone have issues with not being able to access e-mode even when the charge shows 100%?
I think if your car is very cold, the E mode may be grayed out.
I guess it's normal if it can come back after engine is warming up.
Old 02-24-2020, 10:16 AM

GLC 350e & ForTwo Cabrio
? on your range new Glc 350e owner

Hello. I'm new to the forum. Own a 2019 GLC 350e US version. The range started out at 14 miles (in Jun of 2019), then started dropping more and more. The range was dropping after 2 miles on a full charge down to 4 to 2 miles. I found the TSB online and took car into dealer where they did TSB software update last week. Battery came back at 93.63% with aprox. 8200 miles on the car. Is this normal??

After a few charges and drives it seems the car is getting 7-8 miles on pure electric (avg. speed was 12 miles per hour, it was in town driving). Temp was 40-50 degrees. Now this morning , 38-40 degrees the car had a full charge at 12 miles, then about 1/4 mile it dropped to 11 miles. Any thoughts/ feedback from other EQ owners?

Other issues w/ car so far are Trip meter TSB was done as the trip would reset randomly, Motor Mount Shim was installed as car would shake on low speed stops or low speed reverse.
Thanks.
Old 02-24-2020, 10:01 PM

GLC, EQE SUV
Originally Posted by SMART&MBdriver
Hello. I'm new to the forum. Own a 2019 GLC 350e US version. The range started out at 14 miles (in Jun of 2019), then started dropping more and more. The range was dropping after 2 miles on a full charge down to 4 to 2 miles. I found the TSB online and took car into dealer where they did TSB software update last week. Battery came back at 93.63% with aprox. 8200 miles on the car. Is this normal??

After a few charges and drives it seems the car is getting 7-8 miles on pure electric (avg. speed was 12 miles per hour, it was in town driving). Temp was 40-50 degrees. Now this morning , 38-40 degrees the car had a full charge at 12 miles, then about 1/4 mile it dropped to 11 miles. Any thoughts/ feedback from other EQ owners?

Other issues w/ car so far are Trip meter TSB was done as the trip would reset randomly, Motor Mount Shim was installed as car would shake on low speed stops or low speed reverse.
Thanks.
I have a 18' GLC 350e, fully charge display is 14 miles in warm season, 12 miles occasionally, but 13 miles mostly in winter season, I live in Seattle area, winter is not that cold here, if you are living in northern states, I bet your number will be much lower.

You can test your car in pure E mode at 35 - 40 mpg, I guess it will drive much longer distance, 12 mpg is basically stop and go, even electric car is not immune to have low mpg.

If your place has lots hill, then your mpg us much worse as well, but no matter what, the GLC hybrid has better mpg and larger toque.

Last edited by sears1234; 02-24-2020 at 10:05 PM.
Old 02-26-2020, 05:09 PM

GLC 350e & ForTwo Cabrio
Originally Posted by sears1234
I have a 18' GLC 350e, fully charge display is 14 miles in warm season, 12 miles occasionally, but 13 miles mostly in winter season, I live in Seattle area, winter is not that cold here, if you are living in northern states, I bet your number will be much lower.

You can test your car in pure E mode at 35 - 40 mpg, I guess it will drive much longer distance, 12 mpg is basically stop and go, even electric car is not immune to have low mpg.

If your place has lots hill, then your mpg us much worse as well, but no matter what, the GLC hybrid has better mpg and larger toque.
Thanks for the reply, much appreciated! I live in the Chicagoland area so its colder but has been a mild winter. Most of the pure electric driving is relatively flat. Still having some concerns but being optimistic now that new software has been loaded. Going in soon for it's 1st oil change so until then I'm keeping an eye on how the battery range is fairing after a full charge.
Old 02-26-2020, 06:53 PM

GLC, EQE SUV
Originally Posted by SMART&MBdriver
Thanks for the reply, much appreciated! I live in the Chicagoland area so its colder but has been a mild winter. Most of the pure electric driving is relatively flat. Still having some concerns but being optimistic now that new software has been loaded. Going in soon for it's 1st oil change so until then I'm keeping an eye on how the battery range is fairing after a full charge.
I do need your help, I have oild change in next month, what information I need to ask dealer to install this software update?
thanks.
Old 02-26-2020, 07:11 PM

Received 133 Likes on 100 Posts
2023 EQB300
Normally when you take your vehicle for service, dealer will check for software updates. To be on the safe side, just ask the service advisor to note check for updates when you drop off the car.
sears1234 (02-26-2020)
Old 02-26-2020, 07:12 PM

GLC, EQE SUV
Originally Posted by nsoltz
Normally when you take your vehicle for service, dealer will check for software updates. To be on the safe side, just ask the service advisor to note check for updates when you drop off the car.
Thanks.
Old 02-27-2020, 01:38 PM

GLC 350e & ForTwo Cabrio
This is were I found my TSB numbers:
https://www.carproblemzoo.com/tsb/me...nz-glc350e.php

https://www.carproblemzoo.com/tsb/mercedesbenz/glc350e/2019-mercedesbenz-glc350e.php

https://www.carproblemzoo.com/tsb/mercedesbenz/glc350e/2019-mercedesbenz-glc350e.php

Last edited by SMART&MBdriver; 02-27-2020 at 01:44 PM.
Old 02-27-2020, 01:45 PM

GLC 350e & ForTwo Cabrio
Electric range is reduced after brief period

LI54.10-P-069831

https://www.carcomplaints.com/Merced...300/2017/tsbs/

Last edited by SMART&MBdriver; 02-27-2020 at 01:55 PM.
sears1234 (02-27-2020)
Old 12-09-2020, 11:09 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GLC350e
2019 GLC350e Hybrid battery reduced miles

My Mercedes is only a year old since I bought it of course, but it was running fine then. I took it in for the "year " updates and work and I regret it. The dealer performed an update to the vehicle that has changed the functionality of some of the items.
The battery suddenly has gone from indicating 14 miles once in a while or 13 most often to 9 miles after a full charge. I have used the internal CHARGE command and of course I have always left it charging overnight (every night since I bought it) to the next day that I might use it. The dealer has bluntly stated (service manager Carlos Boria) that I have to get used to the number as their equipment testers astate that the battery is good and charging at a 93%. For them to change the battery it has to shw a 70% or less which if you do the calculations 9/14x100% is 64.28%. They claim the battery is within their good parameters.
The collision avoidance system is not responding as when it was new. It basically does not see the car in front until it is less than a vehicle of separation. Also I used to have the parking 360 camera turn on when the car was been parked front first in between two other cars and now I have to push the button myself for the camera to turn on.

I suggested to bring back the car to original factory settings but that was erased from their system and from the car itself. The dealer says they cannot bring it back.

I am the most annoyed because the service manager waited to the last day (since Thursday and it is Tuesday) to charge the car and then told me that car was at 100% of the charge overnight at 7 miles then afterwards he called back to tell me it was at 9 miles, that it was his mistake, he had no idea about my car mileage (Hybrid charge) . I have asked for a manager to call me back so I am waiting for an answer or a call from Garage Isla Verde Mercedes-Benz in Puerto Rico.
Anyone out there with the battery going down and a recourse? I can't find information on battery misreads.... or issues

Old 12-10-2020, 10:46 PM

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts
19 GLC300 4M (lunar blue/black/black ash aluminum),17 GLE350 4M (selenite grey/ espresso/eucalyptus)
These dealers are so confused.
How is the battery degrading this fast??????????
Old 12-14-2020, 08:32 AM

GLC350e
Angry

Originally Posted by rocksinmotion
My Mercedes is only a year old since I bought it of course, but it was running fine then. I took it in for the "year " updates and work and I regret it. The dealer performed an update to the vehicle that has changed the functionality of some of the items.
The battery suddenly has gone from indicating 14 miles once in a while or 13 most often to 9 miles after a full charge. I have used the internal CHARGE command and of course I have always left it charging overnight (every night since I bought it) to the next day that I might use it. The dealer has bluntly stated (service manager Carlos Boria) that I have to get used to the number as their equipment testers astate that the battery is good and charging at a 93%. For them to change the battery it has to shw a 70% or less which if you do the calculations 9/14x100% is 64.28%. They claim the battery is within their good parameters.
The collision avoidance system is not responding as when it was new. It basically does not see the car in front until it is less than a vehicle of separation. Also I used to have the parking 360 camera turn on when the car was been parked front first in between two other cars and now I have to push the button myself for the camera to turn on.

I suggested to bring back the car to original factory settings but that was erased from their system and from the car itself. The dealer says they cannot bring it back.

I am the most annoyed because the service manager waited to the last day (since Thursday and it is Tuesday) to charge the car and then told me that car was at 100% of the charge overnight at 7 miles then afterwards he called back to tell me it was at 9 miles, that it was his mistake, he had no idea about my car mileage (Hybrid charge) . I have asked for a manager to call me back so I am waiting for an answer or a call from Garage Isla Verde Mercedes-Benz in Puerto Rico.
Anyone out there with the battery going down and a recourse? I can't find information on battery misreads.... or issues

Update: So the technician manager called me to tell me that The Garage Mercedes Benz in Isla Verde PR was keeping the car because they could not figure why the battery was at 64% when charged. They tried to pin this on me asking if I had an extension cord on the charger or if I did not charge it everyday... My wifes car and she connects the darn charger as soon as she arrives everyday. The charger is directly to an outlet with a 20 amp breaker and no other items connected to any of the other three outlets in the garage. They stated that the car was tested and was giving 93% charge on the battery but I asked and they could not tell me why was the charge showing as only 9 miles and not the usual 14 and I asked if they could do a full dischrage using the AC and recharge,.. they stated thay had to do other tests to other devices on the vehicle before they could attempt that. I received after a week a loaner so at least I dont have to take my dear wife around on my F350... It is my 1999 and has no issues... figure that... and knock on wood... Waiting for the dealer to call Mercedes in the US or Germany to try to figure as they even told me that at 70% the battery gets changed if under warranty...

I had an issue with the engine light coming on before the battery went array.... would come on and off and finally was captured by the dealer and extinguished but no specific codes came out of the vehicle... I wonder if that was a precursor to the battery problem... hmmmmm I am going to mention it to the tech...

Last edited by rocksinmotion; 03-02-2021 at 12:25 PM. Reason: Update
Old 12-14-2020, 10:01 PM

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts
19 GLC300 4M (lunar blue/black/black ash aluminum),17 GLE350 4M (selenite grey/ espresso/eucalyptus)
Hope they fix it. Maybe the engine light was a precursor...
Old 12-22-2020, 06:20 PM

GLC 350e & ForTwo Cabrio
Originally Posted by ParjAS
Hope they fix it. Maybe the engine light was a precursor...
My engine light came on at about 15k miles. Something to do with oil- some sensor?? Getting car back in a day or two.
Also, during this service visit rear brakes were replaced but to excessive squeaking in reverse at low speed.

Our car is getting 11-12 miles on E-mode (temps have been in 30's at night & 40's in day so using heated steering wheel, seats, & cabin heat). The car has had all the software updates to my knowledge.

Old 03-02-2021, 12:43 PM

GLC350e
UPDATE: The GLC350e was found to have the AC compressor giving some issues but could not identify at the dealer. The mileage has gone down to only 9 miles on the electric side when I used to get 14 at times but mostly 13. Took the car in and within a week the vehicles AC unit stopped working. The code I had on the car (I bought a code reader) was P06A0 which this unit does not recognize for Mercedes. I looked in google and of course: P06A0OBD-II: Variable A/C Compressor Control Circuit. The AC stopped working and the dealer took another week to figure something out. Funny thing is that they had an AC compressor in stock. Today the sales guy in Garaje Isla Verde lied to me, I expected something else. He stated (and I have the video recording) that he was going to pay off the car (the whole debt on the car and take it back) and allow me to purchase something else, when I figured the new car, he came over with a really bad offer, my car owed 51 he stated that they could give me 42 only so the difference will be attached to the value of the new car so I would basically give them 9000 plus from my car plus the car cost and then they can sell the car for the 51 and get another 9k plus... It is soooo sad how they treat people... No counter offer just sorry I cant do better... This vehicle is probably in the lemon law as it has been 6-7 times in the garage for long periods of time and it is only 9800 miles on it... Today ( 3/2/2021) the car has the same code again P06A0, the AC stopped working but came back on but there is a MIL light with the code on. I am waiting for a loaner as the last time they took my car it took almost ten days to get it back. The salesman was candid enough to tell me that he could not sale me a newer (2021) GLC350e because of issues with the electrical systems. My car and someone else's car has started a campaign to stop selling the HYBRID GLC350e until Mercedes figures what is going on. In the mean time I am looking at TESLA and PORSCHE I will get out of this one way or the other.... too bad because for the first year it worked great!! until they updated the code.
ParjAS (03-02-2021)
Old 03-02-2021, 12:54 PM

GLC350e
The dealer told me that I should charge it everyday and not let it go below 30% and a bunch of other crock... I read the manual and it does not mention any of that crack talk.... you should be able to drive on hybrid and just plug it in at the end of the day... there should be a software update to run the can on HYBRID mode and automatically shift to Charge and when it is complete automatically go back to hybrid but that is too easy asn (remember) the manufacturers probably has agreements with the petroleum industry so that they canno do that... but a simple software update could run this vehicle forever between hybrid and charge.. also PLEASE!!! buy yourself an OBDII scanner and check the codes yourself... dont erase them just check them so that you can write what happened as the dealer usually does not tell you the codes erased and fixed... for your own information.... thanks
ParjAS (03-02-2021)
Old 06-06-2021, 04:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2019 GLC350e
Similar situation - same dealer

Originally Posted by rocksinmotion
The dealer told me that I should charge it everyday and not let it go below 30% and a bunch of other crock... I read the manual and it does not mention any of that crack talk.... you should be able to drive on hybrid and just plug it in at the end of the day... there should be a software update to run the can on HYBRID mode and automatically shift to Charge and when it is complete automatically go back to hybrid but that is too easy asn (remember) the manufacturers probably has agreements with the petroleum industry so that they canno do that... but a simple software update could run this vehicle forever between hybrid and charge.. also PLEASE!!! buy yourself an OBDII scanner and check the codes yourself... dont erase them just check them so that you can write what happened as the dealer usually does not tell you the codes erased and fixed... for your own information.... thanks
So last year during the normal service at Garage Isla Verde, they claim they got a Check Engine code, that I had never had. They fixed it and soon thereafter my GLC350e began making some really loud sounds when running on electric power (a super loud humming). It was in service for several weeks and they ended up changing... the A/C compressor (!). Anyway, same BS about charging (they told me never to run it on "Charge" setting, among other things not corroborated by the factory), and other incorrect info. It took a lot to even get a loaner from the dealership while they were performing all the service.

Now I notice that after a full charge the most I get is 11 miles range indicated, when it used to show 14 (the unit is two years old but only has about 4,000 miles on it). Bottom line, this plug-in hybrid system is unnecessarily complex and unrealiable, and it is only worth it for those of us who live in PR, as plug-in hybrids are exempt from paying the 40% import tax. If you live anywhere else, this thing is a gasoline hog for such a small engine, and the electric range is laughable. One short drive around town kills the whole electric range - coupled with PR's super high electricity costs, it comes out more expensive per mile to run it on electric than to use gasoline!

The car is due in July for its next service, let's see how that goes. I will mention the reduced range, and I fully expect I will be told that all is great.

I do know one thing - one second before the warranty expires on this car, I am getting rid of it.
Old 06-07-2021, 04:13 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2020 GLC 300 4 Matic
So overall it sounds like your really happy with your hybrid.
DSHRPR (06-07-2021)
Old 06-07-2021, 06:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2019 GLC350e
Originally Posted by AZ MB Driver
So overall it sounds like your really happy with your hybrid.
LOL yeah…

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Problem with GLC hybrid system