GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

Sound System

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-04-2019, 03:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2019 GLC 350e
Sound System

I recently purchased a GLC 350e without Burmester sound. I wanted to find out if it's possible to add it after the fact. Have been somewhat disappointed with the stock sound. The sound always feels like coming from one side and doesnt surround you like my other cars.
Old 04-05-2019, 04:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 183 Likes on 150 Posts
GLC 300d 4matic
Originally Posted by RezaR1
I recently purchased a GLC 350e without Burmester sound. I wanted to find out if it's possible to add it after the fact. Have been somewhat disappointed with the stock sound. The sound always feels like coming from one side and doesnt surround you like my other cars.
Presumably you have adjusted the balance settings! !
Old 04-05-2019, 11:48 AM

2019 GLC 350e
Originally Posted by decorily
Presumably you have adjusted the balance settings! !
Yes.

How many speakers does the stock system have? I can't believe how bad the stock system is on this car.
Old 04-05-2019, 12:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 135 Posts
2010 Mercedes GL450; 2000 Mercedes ML55 AMG; 2016 VW GLI SEL Stick!!!
Originally Posted by RezaR1
Yes.

How many speakers does the stock system have? I can't believe how bad the stock system is on this car.
easy answer. No.

Yes if uou reallly want to spend the time and money to retrofit. You’ll have to order all the parts and amp and then code it. Run cable and harness. Etc.
dealer won’t help with trade in?
Old 04-05-2019, 12:34 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,818 Likes on 3,008 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Adjust balance, fader and tone/EQ. It makes a difference regardless of which system is in the vehicle.
Old 04-05-2019, 01:47 PM

2019 GLC 350e
I just recently purchased it. (1 month) so trade would be out for now.

I tried the balance and EQ and it just doesn't do anything.

There are speaker cut outs on top of the door (next to window), center of the dashboard and all the way in the trunk but it doesn't feel like any sound comes out of those all. All the sound is from 4 speaks. 2 on the front doors and 2 on the back doors. For some reason I thought the car should have at least 8 speakers and sound much better.

Any aftermarket options?

Last edited by RezaR1; 04-05-2019 at 02:04 PM.
Old 04-05-2019, 02:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Ask your dealer what they can do. If it’s so new they can work something out by either taking your car back and titling it to their loaner fleet,and/ or giving you a hefty discount on a new build to order model.

I totally understand where you’re coming from. I couldn’t stand the normal sound system.

Try talking to your dealer and express your buyers remorse for not having this option. Ask to talk with the gm or owner and just give your honest disappointment of what you’re experiencing. There is a reason nearly all dealers are specifying their cars with the Burmester sound system.

Last edited by kombifan; 04-05-2019 at 02:18 PM.
Old 04-05-2019, 02:40 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,818 Likes on 3,008 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Post your VIN. It can be decoded to see what sound system is in the vehicle.
Old 04-06-2019, 11:03 AM

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
GLC
No one is helping the OP except useless info. No he already said he isn't buying another. No need to check his VIN he already said he has the base sound system.

Yes the base sound system sucks and there are after market solutions. You need to search the W205 C class forum they are way more knowleagble. Simple solution is to splice the front speakers and route stock tweeters to the tweeter grills already installed. Another solution is to use Focal drivers with tweeters built in but those require modification due to stock having three mounting point only.

Athere is a speaker in the front dash but you don't want to mess with that one. It is there for emergency services, not for entertainment.
Old 04-06-2019, 11:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I think everyone is trying to help the op.

Like I said before, it certainly is possible to retrofit the speaker system. You need the harnesses. You need the speakers. You need the amp. Youll need the coding. And you'll need the money and time to find a shop that will want to perform this project.

Its a brand new car. Just recently purchased. There is a huge risk assessment at play here.
Assuming the op, with his expensive 350e electrsnics and electric drive train wants to stay under the good graces of the mb warranty dept and terms. Dealers will use any reason to deny warranty coverage; something not a huge deal with a normal glc 300; but is compounded even more here with the 350e hybrid electric technology.

Dealers are already unfamiliar with this tech, risking your warranty on retrofitting the sound system is just very risky.

Because it's so new I still recommend going back to the dealership asking for a return or assistance with getting you in a model that has the burmester surround system. Dealers can be sensitive to this, especially since you did probably buy on of mb new cutting edge technology in their glc model. They probably also were quite happy to rid themselves on a rare glc withoit the burmester surround.

If this isn't an option, ask for clarification from your dealership and mb customer care about implications of retrofitting any speakers or sound system (whether burmester or aftermaket) and what affect it will have on your warranty v

I assume for the op warranty coverage is a huge issue b
If op doesn't care for the warranty coverage, he/she can always do what they wish. But I recommend doing your due diligence before performing any action.

Saying other forum members aren't helping is of no use to anyone.
Old 04-06-2019, 03:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 263 Likes on 207 Posts
C450, GLC43
Originally Posted by kombifan

I think everyone is trying to help the op.

Like I said before, it certainly is possible to retrofit the speaker system. You need the harnesses. You need the speakers. You need the amp. Youll need the coding. And you'll need the money and time to find a shop that will want to perform this project.

Its a brand new car. Just recently purchased. There is a huge risk assessment at play here.
Assuming the op, with his expensive 350e electrsnics and electric drive train wants to stay under the good graces of the mb warranty dept and terms. Dealers will use any reason to deny warranty coverage; something not a huge deal with a normal glc 300; but is compounded even more here with the 350e hybrid electric technology.

Dealers are already unfamiliar with this tech, risking your warranty on retrofitting the sound system is just very risky.

Because it's so new I still recommend going back to the dealership asking for a return or assistance with getting you in a model that has the burmester surround system. Dealers can be sensitive to this, especially since you did probably buy on of mb new cutting edge technology in their glc model. They probably also were quite happy to rid themselves on a rare glc withoit the burmester surround.

If this isn't an option, ask for clarification from your dealership and mb customer care about implications of retrofitting any speakers or sound system (whether burmester or aftermaket) and what affect it will have on your warranty v

I assume for the op warranty coverage is a huge issue b
If op doesn't care for the warranty coverage, he/she can always do what they wish. But I recommend doing your due diligence before performing any action.

Saying other forum members aren't helping is of no use to anyone.

Adding an aftermarket audio doesn't impact warranty coverage for anything except the audio system. To imply the "void your warranty BS" is not helpful to anyone and propagates the myth that any alteration from stock is somehow dangerous. That is untrue and unhelpful.

OP, retrofitting Burmester is cost prohibitive even if you found a someone able to source and code the components. Besides, the Burmester system offered for the GLC and C class vehicles really isn't that special. I have it in both my MBs, it is adequate...no more no less.

What you should do if you intend to improve your Audio 20 system is to go aftermarket. Take a look at these threads:
Adding a sub:
https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...er-system.html

Upgrading the base Audio 20 system in the C class. Remember that the C and GLC are nearly identical in the audio system set up. The only difference is that the GLC has a nice large cargo compartment under the rear deck that's ideal for placing a sub:
https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...nd-system.html

Upgrading Burmester into true audiophile system. Most the of this still applies to audio 20 since the Burmester tuning is bypassed on the finished system.
https://w205audio.wordpress.com/2016...rmester-audio/

You should determine the scope of improvements you are after. Some people just add a sub and are happy. Others have added a secondary DSP, amps, subs and upgraded the speakers to achieve a true hi-fi system. Costs can run anywhere from a couple hundred bucks up to a few grand depending on scope and your level of DIY skill.

If I were in your shoes I would start by adding a sub/amp combo to the rear cargo area and then adjust the tone/balance settings for the new config. If that still wasn't adequate, I would add tweeters next. The nuclear option is doing what Mike does in his retrofit thread: the full audison/focal/sub plus re-tuning of the system.

Last edited by Mr. J; 04-06-2019 at 03:32 PM.
Old 04-07-2019, 08:49 PM

2019 GLC 350e
Originally Posted by Mr. J
Adding an aftermarket audio doesn't impact warranty coverage for anything except the audio system. To imply the "void your warranty BS" is not helpful to anyone and propagates the myth that any alteration from stock is somehow dangerous. That is untrue and unhelpful.

OP, retrofitting Burmester is cost prohibitive even if you found a someone able to source and code the components. Besides, the Burmester system offered for the GLC and C class vehicles really isn't that special. I have it in both my MBs, it is adequate...no more no less.

What you should do if you intend to improve your Audio 20 system is to go aftermarket. Take a look at these threads:
Adding a sub:
https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...er-system.html

Upgrading the base Audio 20 system in the C class. Remember that the C and GLC are nearly identical in the audio system set up. The only difference is that the GLC has a nice large cargo compartment under the rear deck that's ideal for placing a sub:
https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...nd-system.html

Upgrading Burmester into true audiophile system. Most the of this still applies to audio 20 since the Burmester tuning is bypassed on the finished system.
https://w205audio.wordpress.com/2016...rmester-audio/

You should determine the scope of improvements you are after. Some people just add a sub and are happy. Others have added a secondary DSP, amps, subs and upgraded the speakers to achieve a true hi-fi system. Costs can run anywhere from a couple hundred bucks up to a few grand depending on scope and your level of DIY skill.

If I were in your shoes I would start by adding a sub/amp combo to the rear cargo area and then adjust the tone/balance settings for the new config. If that still wasn't adequate, I would add tweeters next. The nuclear option is doing what Mike does in his retrofit thread: the full audison/focal/sub plus re-tuning of the system.
Thank you so much for the info. I will look into those threads. I thought the Burmester upgrade would be simpler but if aftermarket is easier, I can do that.
Old 04-08-2019, 01:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,098 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
OK... let me suggest something to consider.. unless you are tech/familiar you are going to need a good auto audio shop to help..

1. Add Front Tweeters EZ'r - up front in the "mirror triangles" there are factory mounts in those plastic triangles which will be perfect-snapin-fit for either the MB original tweeters (eBay from $30-$60 ea) or the Steg Euro replacement/upgrade tweeters that use the same tweeter housing. These tweeters use plug-in connectors - for the MB tweeter - check eBay for W205 tweeter splitter/wire harness that has correct connector to take the leads running into each front door - split it to door speaker and new tweeter - the MB tweeters have built-in high-pass filter. The Stegs come with a splitter/hanress and have high pass filter wired into the harness. You can use other tweeters there - a audio shop can Dremel and glue - and those other tweeters by and large do not have special connectors and might need added high pass filter or crossover
Note on the door panels and mirror triangles - stress less if you have a pro handle those parts.

2. The door speakers are tricky since that door speaker is more shallow/front-to-back than most other replacement speakers it's size. Focal has a door/front-tweeter set that has been used. Steg also makes a door/tweeter set - note Steg has two different replacement door speakers - one with paper cone door speaker and one with aluminum cone door speaker...

3. German aftermarket has some really slick DSP/amp stuff - and the post's on this can be found in the W205 forum.. Yes there is a 5-channel Helix/Match M5DSP AMP the size of two cigarette packs that is described in the W205/C-Class write up.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MATCH-M-5DS...oAAOSwk~ZaDHZe

There is another Match/Heliz 4-channel DSP/Amp .... that with right adapter cable from Fischer/Helix/Match US could "re-power" front and rear:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Match-PP41D...8AAOSw6qda08Y8

Then there is another Helix/Match VW "subwoofer kit" that is really low on the tech radar that "could" really do something real... it's a 3-channel DSP/Amp/Subwoofer combo:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-Vo...YAAOSw3ChbTEzF

Check with Helix/Match US Customer Service - the new US distributor is quite earnest about building solid business here in the US - andf should be able to answer on cable/connector/adapting to C or GLC...
Old 04-08-2019, 05:45 PM

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts
2020 GLE
Have you thought that maybe there's something wrong with the speakers or amp? Try changing the equalizer all the way to the left and then right and see if they sound just as loud. If they don't then maybe you have an issue that needs to be repaired?
The following users liked this post:
mikapen (05-25-2021)
Old 04-08-2019, 05:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 150 Likes on 128 Posts
2019 Dune Silver Metallic E-450 Mercedes Cabriolet NEW Mercedes 2020 GLC300 graphite gray SUV
So, we know trying to outfit your car with a Burmester system is cost prohibited. You best bet is to find a decent audio car outfit in your area, and have them price and give you suggested alternatives. Some of these systems can run into the thousands, so budget yourself, and make the rounds at you local audio installers.
Old 04-09-2019, 01:45 AM

2019 GLC 350e
Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
OK... let me suggest something to consider.. unless you are tech/familiar you are going to need a good auto audio shop to help..

1. Add Front Tweeters EZ'r - up front in the "mirror triangles" there are factory mounts in those plastic triangles which will be perfect-snapin-fit for either the MB original tweeters (eBay from $30-$60 ea) or the Steg Euro replacement/upgrade tweeters that use the same tweeter housing. These tweeters use plug-in connectors - for the MB tweeter - check eBay for W205 tweeter splitter/wire harness that has correct connector to take the leads running into each front door - split it to door speaker and new tweeter - the MB tweeters have built-in high-pass filter. The Stegs come with a splitter/hanress and have high pass filter wired into the harness. You can use other tweeters there - a audio shop can Dremel and glue - and those other tweeters by and large do not have special connectors and might need added high pass filter or crossover
Note on the door panels and mirror triangles - stress less if you have a pro handle those parts.

2. The door speakers are tricky since that door speaker is more shallow/front-to-back than most other replacement speakers it's size. Focal has a door/front-tweeter set that has been used. Steg also makes a door/tweeter set - note Steg has two different replacement door speakers - one with paper cone door speaker and one with aluminum cone door speaker...

3. German aftermarket has some really slick DSP/amp stuff - and the post's on this can be found in the W205 forum.. Yes there is a 5-channel Helix/Match M5DSP AMP the size of two cigarette packs that is described in the W205/C-Class write up.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MATCH-M-5DS...oAAOSwk~ZaDHZe

There is another Match/Heliz 4-channel DSP/Amp .... that with right adapter cable from Fischer/Helix/Match US could "re-power" front and rear:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Match-PP41D...8AAOSw6qda08Y8
I
Then there is another Helix/Match VW "subwoofer kit" that is really low on the tech radar that "could" really do something real... it's a 3-channel DSP/Amp/Subwoofer combo:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-Vo...YAAOSw3ChbTEzF

Check with Helix/Match US Customer Service - the new US distributor is quite earnest about building solid business here in the US - andf should be able to answer on cable/connector/adapting to C or GLC...
Thanks for the info. I will look into it. I am going to see if I can visit a reputable shop in the area first. I have done system installations on my cars before but not on a Mercedes so I am hesitant to do it myself.

Originally Posted by tinman831
Have you thought that maybe there's something wrong with the speakers or amp? Try changing the equalizer all the way to the left and then right and see if they sound just as loud. If they don't then maybe you have an issue that needs to be repaired?
i thought about that as well and tried that. When using fader and balance, I get sound from all speak. I think the problem with the stock speakers are that they are too close to the driver an it doesn’t have the surround/stereo sound. There are only 4 speakers plus a woofer. I can’t believe they went so cheap on the sound system for 55k+ car. My old Prius had a JBL sound with more speakers and it sounded so much better than this car.

Originally Posted by rustybear3
So, we know trying to outfit your car with a Burmester system is cost prohibited. You best bet is to find a decent audio car outfit in your area, and have them price and give you suggested alternatives. Some of these systems can run into the thousands, so budget yourself, and make the rounds at you local audio installers.
thats the plan.

Last edited by RezaR1; 04-09-2019 at 01:47 AM.
Old 04-09-2019, 06:00 AM

GLC300
If you're a DIY, you can safely improve your overall sound by changing the front door speakers. I too bought the base sound and keep kicking myself for that... dealer won't touch it, Best Buy won't touch it (Texas), and I still can't find a respectable audio shop that has installed a sound system in a late model Benz without breaking the bank. I'll skip the door panel removal, but that was the hardest part for me. Here is what I did:

1) Purchased a pair of Kicker DS 4" speakers from Amazon
  • Amazon Amazon
  • These are shallow enough and will fit fine, but you will need to mount them with at least two screws which will require for you to drill into the back of the door panel.
    • Use short screws to only grab the speaker and get a few threads into the panel - speakers don't weight much and they will hold fine.
    • There is empty space between the inside and outside side of the door panel. When mounting the screws, do it slowly so you don't accidentally drill through the front of the door panel.
2) For obvious reasons, make sure your radio is completely turned off when connecting to wiring system.

3) Used T-Tab connectors for the speaker wires.
  • Amazon Amazon
  • No need to cut existing wires and keeps the stock connectors in place.
    • I saved the stock speakers in case I have issues and need to reinstall in the future.
    • Standard speaker wires are fine, just make sure you have at least 1.5 ft of wire for each speaker. This will help you maneuver the door panel when reinstalling.

The mid range and highs are SUPER clear and the overall sound is much louder. However, due to the size of these speakers, the lows still leave much to be desired. I did not feel I needed to change the two rear door speakers. I am now researching and trying to find a way to improve my bass and my initial research indicates that I will need to tap into the rear door speakers and battery to install a small aftermarket amp and speaker in the trunk. I'll update this post if I do it or find an alternative way.

NOTE: I found the stock sub. It is located in front of the front passenger's seat (foot rest). You will need to remove the carpet, but I don't recommend you mess with it as it will prove to be a waste of time.
  1. The speaker is difficult to get to
  2. Completely covered by the plastic foot rest and carpet, which degrades the sound quality
  3. It is mounted on the frame of the car with a super small opening for the magnet - I can't find an 8" speaker of decent quality that is shallow enough and has a small magnet that will fit into the frame opening
  4. The electronic modules on the side of the passenger's foot rest are SUPER sensitive. I strongly recommend you do not mess with them.
Old 01-16-2021, 01:05 PM

2016 glc300
I've got an x253 and replaced all 4 door speakers with alpine s40 4 inch 2 way speakers. Sound is night and day over stock. However, I did not want to drill holes into the door so I sacrificed the oem speakers and cut out the push mounts. I then increased the diameter of the alpine screw mounts with a step bit to fit the mounting pegs from the old speakers. It seems to hold in place well. As for the wire plugs, I also cut out the oem ones, making sure that I have enough wire to solder the alpine harness. It's extra work but it keeps the oem harness undamaged.
Only thing i need to do is install a sub---likely an amplified one to mount either under the front seat or rear cargo since the Alpines are now overpowering the stock footwell sub. The clarity of these speakers are amazing.
Old 05-24-2021, 04:51 PM

2021 glc300 4matic
Stock speaker wire colors

Does anybody know the colors to the stock speakers cuz I'm adding an amp and a sub in my glc300 2021 and I need to tap into the back door speakers for the signal to my lc2i which is going to be connected to my amp connected to my sub?
Old 05-26-2021, 08:37 PM

2021 glc300 4matic
Speaker wire color

I have a glc300 4matic with out the sound system does anybody know if I could just tap in to the speakers with the lc2i and add a amp AND sub and if so what color are the stock speaker wires that I tap into and where are they located, I can't find information on this 2021 anywhere even a 20 there's no diagrams whatsoever and if there are can you please let me know