GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

Adding Disctronic Plus after the fact

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-10-2019, 06:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2019 GLC 350e
Adding Disctronic Plus after the fact

I leased a 2019 GLC 350e few months ago with Park Assist. It did not come with Disctronic (Distance control cruise control). In order to get this option, I had to get the most expensive optioned car with many items that I did not want. However, GLC 350e has a feature (i am not sure if GLC 300 has it as well) where in Eco mode, it automatically breaks when the car in front of you slows down. It doesn't completely stop if the car is stopped but up to 20-30 feet, it detects the car and slows down. The car also has park assist where it can automatically steer and park itself.

So based on that, I was thinking what other components I might need to add the distance controlled cruise control which is the only option I wish I could get. I have seen the long distance radar on ebay for about $450 but I am not sure other than that, what other components are needed to potentially add this.

I also have looked all over to see if I can find the list of components or diagram for this and I haven't been able to find anything.

What do you think? Is it possible to add? If so, what parts would I need?
Old 06-11-2019, 05:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
09 C63
I don't have this as 100% but no is the short answer. The two stopping systems are different. If you have distronic, it's much more robust (works down to slower and higher speeds). Considering there is a radar that is installed in the center plus the ECU stuff, as well as coding it in - I would strongly doubt this. Especially considering it hooks into the accelerator and braking systems.
Old 06-11-2019, 09:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 150 Likes on 128 Posts
2019 Dune Silver Metallic E-450 Mercedes Cabriolet NEW Mercedes 2020 GLC300 graphite gray SUV
Not only that, but would you be willing to risk your life or other drivers on a jerry rigged system? You're talking a very precise & complicated system.
Old 05-29-2020, 08:59 PM

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts
W222 S550 4Matic and Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
If you don't want to take it to the dealer, then you'll need to take it to a local indy workshop. The safety and some convenience features work together, so when one goes down, it has a domino effect. If you're comfortable working on your car, you may want to purchase a Mercedes specific code reader. I suspect it's a sensor, but you or someone else will have to scan the car's network to see which faults are present. My iCarsoft scanner cost me about $150, yet is has saved me thousands of dollars.
Old 05-30-2020, 11:50 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
GLC
This is an easy one.
no you cannot add distronic via dealer nor aftermarket.

But it’s not all bad. While I have distronic and find it great— I suspect most people would find it more annoying to “drive by wire” then to just use pedals and steer themselves. You can’t trust the car on unfamiliar roads anyway.
Old 06-10-2020, 05:55 PM

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts
2017 GLC300 2020 Toyota Rav4H AWD XLE
Originally Posted by tcsting
This is an easy one.
no you cannot add distronic via dealer nor aftermarket.

But it’s not all bad. While I have distronic and find it great— I suspect most people would find it more annoying to “drive by wire” then to just use pedals and steer themselves. You can’t trust the car on unfamiliar roads anyway.
+1 with the distronic package. Since the wife and i use it for local and the occasional road trip we dont really use it that much. It's only useful when your in dead horrible traffic, and with not everyone on the road just yet, you wont really need it.
However, i have read retrofit heads do it on their cars and you will be paying alot just for it and its not worth it
Old 06-11-2020, 03:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 150 Likes on 128 Posts
2019 Dune Silver Metallic E-450 Mercedes Cabriolet NEW Mercedes 2020 GLC300 graphite gray SUV
Completely disagree.The new Distronic is a marvel, and is great on long distance drives. Would never get another vehicle without it. As others have stated, it is a complicated system of precision hardware, cameras and radar. I’d never trust an after market.
Old 06-11-2020, 05:03 AM

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
2020 GLC 300
Originally Posted by rustybear3
Completely disagree.The new Distronic is a marvel, and is great on long distance drives. Would never get another vehicle without it. As others have stated, it is a complicated system of precision hardware, cameras and radar. I’d never trust an after market.
Agree on both counts: it's fantastic and I use it on all but local runabout trips, and it's a critical system that I'd only trust integrated/OEM.
Old 06-14-2020, 01:51 PM

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts
2017 GLC300 2020 Toyota Rav4H AWD XLE
Originally Posted by rustybear3

I didnt say it was bad, i just said that i hardly use it lol
Old 06-20-2020, 12:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hyundai
I am considering ordering a GLC, 2020 model. For folks who have this, can you help with below questions-
1. How is Distronic in stop and go traffic vs regular traffic on highways for keeping you in the lane?
2. Do you need to press accelerator in stop and go traffic when vehicle comes to complete stop?
3. I know branding is same, but is all hardware/software same irrespective of the model - GLA vs GLC vs GLE?

Recently, I tried this on a Toyota (Rav4) and it was horrible. For some reason Lexus was slightly better even though its the same parent company. But with Toyota, you can have aftermarket Open Pilot which is not an option for Benz.
Old 06-20-2020, 04:48 AM

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
2020 GLC 300
Originally Posted by Manish Singhal
I am considering ordering a GLC, 2020 model. For folks who have this, can you help with below questions-
1. How is Distronic in stop and go traffic vs regular traffic on highways for keeping you in the lane?
2. Do you need to press accelerator in stop and go traffic when vehicle comes to complete stop?
3. I know branding is same, but is all hardware/software same irrespective of the model - GLA vs GLC vs GLE?

Recently, I tried this on a Toyota (Rav4) and it was horrible. For some reason Lexus was slightly better even though its the same parent company. But with Toyota, you can have aftermarket Open Pilot which is not an option for Benz.
  1. It's good, although I mostly use it on the freeway I have also turned it on in bumper to bumper traffic because it makes life easier.
  2. Depends. The system stays active for minute or so (not sure how long) and if the cars start moving again it will follow. You can see when this is active and when it stops in the dash and HUD. Once inactive you need to press the accelerator to make it start moving again but then it auto resumes and you don't need to keep accelerating.
  3. No idea.
it's great, I use it all the time

Last edited by tGs Wraith; 06-20-2020 at 09:33 AM.
Old 06-20-2020, 06:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,440 Likes on 952 Posts
No more MB:(
Order the vehicle the way you want. Retro fitting would be disastrous. Too complicated and probably impossible. You would end up with a mess. Just spend the money and do it properly.