GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

Quick 2020 GLC Review - Stepping down from 2017 E300

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-08-2019, 07:23 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2017 e300
Quick 2020 GLC Review - Stepping down from 2017 E300

Just took delivery of a Brilliant Metallic Blue 2020 GLC, fully loaded, gray leather interior.

First about us: We are in our 60s and owned a 2017 e300, which replaced a 10-year-old BMW 3-Series Sports Wagon. My my has a 2009 C350 with 50,000 miles. Getting rid of the wagon was hard because we lost our ability to haul "stuff." So, after 3 years, we felt we needed to something we could fit more "stuff" into. Plus...the e300 made me feel older than I am. I never quite got the total feel for the car (and now I know why "old" people park over the lines. This car did not have a front-view camera; and with a sports package, it was very low and always getting scraped. During my time driving it, I felt grew to like A LOT about it. While its ride could be a bit too spongy at times, its seats were unmatched, the instrument cluster was fantastic and while it was considered "slow" by MB enthusiasts, I found a way to get pep out of it off the line. And I LOVED the dynamic seats.

On the other hand, we liked the concept of sitting higher. We looked at the new GLE but it was simply too big for us. So we started driving the GLE. Driving some 2019s with basic interiors left me cold. The ride was jerky. Plus, I never liked the entertainment system on that car, which had over several days for loaners - especially after using the one in the e300.

On our test drives of SUVs, the first thing we realized when we drove a few 2019 models was that the passenger side seat didn't have an adjustable thigh support. MANY of the stocked cars didn't. At one of the dealers we visited in San Diego, the salesman pointed to a new 2020, 19-inch rims that was sent to dealers throughout the country – the blue one, exactly like the one we wound up buying: fully loaded, MSRP $60,390. The salesman laughed that at that price we should be getting the GLE. "But I don't want a car that big," I shot back. (We wound up buying it in Orange County - at Foothill Ranch MB; it's second car we bought from them and really like the folks there)

We test drove the 2020 and immediately felt the leather seats (and the passenger side had the adjustable thigh support) made a HUGE difference in the cabin comfort. And the MBUX system was impressive.

My quick review, after driving around 150 miles: I love sitting up; the car drives better than I expected; MBUX is a home run (they really thought this through - very intuitive, quick voice--recognition navigation search, which appears to be almost if not equal to as good as Car Play; ditto for using voice-recognition to make phone calls from contacts; and most importantly, my wife likes it.

But... I miss the e300's seats. The GLC's sound (while the same system as in the e300) isn't nearly as good (I chalk that up to the cavernous aspect of the vehicle; it also can't hold a stick to sound in the RR Velar, which we also drove); the rear seat, while roomy, isn't comfortable (but I'm not a fan of c-class rear seats); and the instrument cluster (we have the upgraded 12.5" screen) has one huge miss: Car Play only shows up on a reduced portion of the screen. On the e-Class, it was the entire screen. I simply don't understand why that's not the case on the GLC, especially with the MBUX system..

Before making the decision to buy the GLC, we drove the BMW X3 and X5 (I LOVED the X5, but like the GLE, it's too big), the Velar (we had rented one and really liked it, but neither the passenger nor driver seats have extendable thigh supports or adjustable back bolsters), and the high acclaimed Volvo XC 60 (I disliked the feel of it on the road so much that I ended the test drive after just a few minutes.) We did not drive the Q5, which seems to get great reviews, but my wife was turned off by the seats (of the car on the showroom floor) and the interior.

Plus, after driving the e300 – I felt bad about NOT buying a Mercedes. Which is why, albeit a compromise of sorts, the GLC won!

Last edited by bizinsider; 09-08-2019 at 07:38 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by bizinsider:
Lanzz (09-08-2019), StradaRedlands (09-12-2019)
Old 09-09-2019, 09:59 AM

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts
2019 GLC300, 2017 E300
Interesting review. My wife has a 2019 glc300 and I just test drove a 2017 e300 and I liked the GLC seats better. The bolsters are significant on the e300 and I wasn’t a huge fan!
Old 09-09-2019, 10:34 AM

2017 e300
Originally Posted by Camaroguy72
Interesting review. My wife has a 2019 glc300 and I just test drove a 2017 e300 and I liked the GLC seats better. The bolsters are significant on the e300 and I wasn’t a huge fan!
Isn't it wild how we all like different things. We had the dynamic bolster that moved as the car moved. It was fun! I agree sitting higher in the GLC is better. The GLC leather seats remind me of my old BMW seats, which I liked for 10 years.
Old 09-10-2019, 12:20 PM

2017 e300
Quick update on my original review: The MBUX is SO good that if live traffic is more dependable than the prior system Google Maps or a full-sized CarPlay won't be missed as much - even though I do believe it offers better / more timely directions, especially with traffic. This system is remarkably fast, smooth and intuitive. The more time I spend with it the more I am blown away. It's easily as quick as CarPlay in response time.
Old 09-12-2019, 08:31 PM

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
2021 GLE 450
I agree with your assessment of the GLE. its huge. I was given a chance to test drive a loaded 350 with the unfortunate night package [hideous on the designo diamond white] and the macchiato beige interior. it looked fantastic inside and had all the options I would have ordered less the heated and cooled beverage holder [thats right why not?] and the unavailable air suspension that the salesman said wasn't worth it despite all the reviews saying otherwise. anyway the real deal breaker was the terrible 4 cylinder performance in the GLE. its just bad. so even though the discount for buying would have been less than the price I am paying for the GLC43 I ordered,I told the sales guy that I am not waiting to die which is exactly what the GLE 350 feels like driving. the silk beige interior I really wanted is not available on the 43 so I changed from cardinal red to brilliant blue with the saddle brown leather. and avoided the night package the sales guy pleaded with me to get. the 43 is the right size vehicle for me and I agree with your judgement of the 300.

Last edited by digital_b; 09-12-2019 at 08:36 PM.