GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

Difference between the 2020 MBUX in the GLC vs MBUX in other models?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-16-2020, 10:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 184 Likes on 151 Posts
GLC 300d 4matic
Originally Posted by aweber1nj
How is it possible MB is not the only car mfr left??? I had that tech on my BMW in the 2000s. Are they still in business? Not prosecuted to their last penny?

The "key being present" is not how I've seen it work. That would not make sense, because it would be trivial for multiple keys to be present. When the driver unlocks the car (from the outside), the seats and mirrors go to the settings defined in the keyfob's profile. By the time you sit in the car you are ready to drive. You do not have to stand in the rain (possibly in traffic) and wait for the seat to move while holding the door open, for example.

You do realize that you do not have to program the seats to move, right? Or you could - for safety reasons - set all the memory settings to move the seat to the forward most position. These are driver-specific settings setup by the driver/owner of the vehicle (who may or may not have children in the first place).

I think we have taken the thread off-topic, and I apologize on my behalf. We should agree to disagree on whether the driver should be responsible for understanding how a seat moves in their luxury automobile. mo leithscéal
Don't shoot the messenger!

People were wondering why they couldn't link seat memory position to profiles....I have tried to be helpful in explaining.
If you don't like/understand the concept then that's fine.
Old 01-16-2020, 11:50 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2020 GLC300 (ED re-delivery pending)
Originally Posted by bazan
Thats true. to operate android auto... you have to reach over to the touch screen. worst than my 2017 command.. which at lease I can use my rotating knob to select
Is the same true for CarPlay - touchscreen control only?
Old 01-16-2020, 12:01 PM

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts
2020 AMG GLC 43
Originally Posted by pcbrew
Is the same true for CarPlay - touchscreen control only?
No. Carplay uses all of the input methods, including the voice button which changes to control Siri instead of Hey Mercedes.
Old 01-16-2020, 03:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2020 GLC300
I'm a newbie on the forum and a Cadillac owner , 3 autos, over the last 20 years. Have a 2020 GLC 300 on order, production scheduled next week. I had driven the GLE primarily because of the impressive tech mainly MBUX. Did not chose the GLE due to size being a little larger than needed and surprisingly rough ride on a smooth freeway. I drove the GLC and found it to be the "right" size and it had most of the MBUX features I wanted. I downloaded the USA owners manual from the MB USA site. I'm really disappointed at the number of features described in the USA owners manual that are NOT AVAILABLE on any trim level of a USA GLC, Gesture control, Extendable sun visors, massage seat settings, perfume atomizer and many others !! I find this to be somewhat deceptive and not experienced that treatment with any other auto maker. Disappointed almost to the point of regret for ordering. Hopefully when the vehicle finally arrives it will reconvert me as a MB fan.

Last edited by jj39; 01-18-2020 at 02:42 PM. Reason: error in listing
Old 01-16-2020, 03:52 PM

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
2020 GLC 300
Originally Posted by bazan
i wonder if this is only with thebMBUX/GLC integration?... if anyone very the same happening in the A-class eg. As in the manual it specifically mention about dear and steering association with profiles... though withe catch phrase... "depending how your vehicle equipped..."
The required equipment is memory seats. Basically the manual says our cars should have the feature (if you have memory seats) but in practice they don't. In the other MBUX models the seats do auto adjust, but my dealer said those models also don't require holding down the memory adjust button and just need a single press so he thinks the seats are different somehow (and as you say may not have the required equipment in terms of a specific type of memory seat, but then why does it exist in the manual at all)

I'm desperately hoping it is still coming in an update, but since they removed the setting from the car and MercMe it does seem unlikely.

Last edited by tGs Wraith; 01-16-2020 at 04:15 PM.
Old 01-16-2020, 04:12 PM

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
2020 GLC 300
Originally Posted by decorily
Is it not the case now that seat adjustment to individual memory settings only happens when the memory button is pressed and held?
This is a safety feature and presumably the logic is carried through to the issue discussed.
@decorily you're correct that they used to say holding the button down is a "safety feature" but that was always obvious BS and the lie was confirmed when they then allowed the other MBUX cars such as the GLE to adjust after a single press.

The GLC seat also moves on its own when easy-exit is enabled so it can clearly move automatically on the basis of your user profile without any button press... they're just shafting GLC drivers for some reason

Last edited by tGs Wraith; 01-16-2020 at 04:38 PM.
Old 01-16-2020, 04:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 184 Likes on 151 Posts
GLC 300d 4matic
Originally Posted by tGs Wraith
@decorily you're correct that they used to say holding the button down is a "safety feature" but that was always obvious BS and the lie was confirmed when they then allowed the other MBUX cars such as the GLE to adjust after a single press.

The GLC seat also moves on its own when easy-exit is enabled so it can clearly move automatically on the basis of your user profile without any button press... they're just shafting GLC drivers for some reason
Fair enough....I stand corrected. Thanks.
Old 01-16-2020, 07:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C300
Originally Posted by jj39
I'm a newbie on the forum and a Cadillac owner , 3 autos, over the last 20 years. Have a 2020 GLC 300 on order, production scheduled next week. I had driven the GLE primarily because of the impressive tech mainly MBUX. Did not chose the GLE due to size being a little larger than needed and surprisingly rough ride on a smooth freeway. I drove the GLC and found it to be the "right" size and it had most of the MBUX features I wanted. I downloaded the USA owners manual from the MB USA site. I'm really disappointed at the number of features described in the USA owners manual that are NOT AVAILABLE on any trim level of a USA GLC, Gesture control, Extendable sun visors, residual heat climate control, massage seat settings, perfume atomizer and many others !! I find this to be somewhat deceptive and not experienced that treatment with any other auto maker. Disappointed almost to the point of regret for ordering. Hopefully when the vehicle finally arrives it will reconvert me as a MB fan.
I completely agree and have the same kind of feeling too. They should have just take the whole thing out from the manual. especially non of the trim/options urgent provide that functionality. I wonder if anyone is really hung on that function can get a full refund .. lol
The following users liked this post:
FastE (03-31-2020)
Old 01-16-2020, 09:57 PM

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Past 03 SL500,03 C240, 07 E350, 07 ML350, 10 ML350,11&14 E350 X2 2017 E300, 2017 C350e & 2000 S500
2019 and 2020 e-350's seats are one touch operation. you select the number and no more holding it down. its disappointing that its not on this car. maybe a software update in the future will enable it.
Old 01-18-2020, 03:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,100 Likes on 806 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
2019 and 2020 E350"s ?
Old 01-22-2020, 01:19 AM

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Past 03 SL500,03 C240, 07 E350, 07 ML350, 10 ML350,11&14 E350 X2 2017 E300, 2017 C350e & 2000 S500
Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
2019 and 2020 E350"s ?
2019 e300***
Old 03-09-2020, 08:54 AM

C300
hi.. just want to double check with anyone if you can use your voice to tell MBUX to turn on the reading lamp at front. I tried... MBUX acknowledged command but then nothing happen. perhaps another not documented not available functionality? but this one there was a video (recall seeing somewhere produce by MB marketing themself) which clearly market this as an available feature. wonder if this is just a bug for my car only. txs

​​​​​​** update**

Just an update looks like it is some kind of a glitch... dealer take a look at it. since I execute that command and the light never come on.. it also refuse to response to the manual button press either. dealer has to restart/reboot the system . now it seems to be working. as my original thread... just wondering what else that should be working but not..

Last edited by bazan; 03-09-2020 at 09:57 AM. Reason: update
Old 03-22-2020, 12:11 PM

GLC 300 2020 SUV
GLC MBUX can't open the sunblinds or the sunroof whereas this is possible in the A Class. It was a bit of a disappointment for me.
vanillaman (08-06-2022)
Old 03-22-2020, 03:42 PM

C300
Originally Posted by Stark33
GLC MBUX can't open the sunblinds or the sunroof whereas this is possible in the A Class. It was a bit of a disappointment for me.
yep.. I found out and confirmed (after many trials thinking i may have not been using the right wordings). They really need to update the manual. so far I have found the following NOT working when compare to the "main stream MBUX (may be helpful save some people time to hunt around. Feel free to add or correct if needed)

- Seat memory and steering wheel (Voice and linkage to profile))
- Sun screen control (Voice)
- Digital instrument panel (middle section cannot be set to eg. navigation)
vanillaman (08-06-2022)
Old 03-23-2020, 06:18 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
W220
A big difference at least compared to the GLE is the speedometer on the left can't be changed in any way. It's redundant with the digital read out in the middle but unfortunately that left side cannot be repurposed.
Old 03-23-2020, 10:43 PM

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts
2020 GLC300 & 2009 SL550 (previously had 1999 CLK / 2006 E500 / 2011 GL450)
Originally Posted by Daniel6L
A big difference at least compared to the GLE is the speedometer on the left can't be changed in any way. It's redundant with the digital read out in the middle but unfortunately that left side cannot be repurposed.
Yeah, I was disappointed by this -- I thought all three regions (left, center, right) would be customizable.

The other disappointment to me is the current lack of the dash cam functionality.(don't know if the GLE / A-Class have that).

But NONE of these compare to the poor navigation system -- while it's absolutely state of the art in looks, the functionality is sorely lacking -- round-about directions, incorrect speed limits, etc. I'd really like to take a ride in one of those to see if I can duplicate the issues.
Old 03-23-2020, 11:34 PM

W220
Originally Posted by High Technology
Yeah, I was disappointed by this -- I thought all three regions (left, center, right) would be customizable.

The other disappointment to me is the current lack of the dash cam functionality.(don't know if the GLE / A-Class have that).

But NONE of these compare to the poor navigation system -- while it's absolutely state of the art in looks, the functionality is sorely lacking -- round-about directions, incorrect speed limits, etc. I'd really like to take a ride in one of those to see if I can duplicate the issues.
I didn't option the multimedia package thinking I'd be using Carplay all the time but was quite on the fence about it. I'm glad I didn't option it now.
Old 03-24-2020, 04:03 PM

2020 GLC300 (ED re-delivery pending)
Originally Posted by Daniel6L
I didn't option the multimedia package thinking I'd be using Carplay all the time but was quite on the fence about it. I'm glad I didn't option it now.
Yeah, I am thinking I should have saved the $ instead.

Does anyone know if CarPlay and/or AA will reflect turn-by-turn directions in the cluster?
Old 03-24-2020, 05:14 PM

W220
Originally Posted by pcbrew
Yeah, I am thinking I should have saved the $ instead.

Does anyone know if CarPlay and/or AA will reflect turn-by-turn directions in the cluster?
If you got the Driver Assistance package and enjoy that then maybe the makes up for the required multimedia package. I probably would've gotten the Driver's Assist package if the multimedia package wasn't required.

I checked the navi option in the instrument cluster with Carplay actively routing to a destination and it doesn't show any turn by turn direction, it only shows the cardinal direction. Yours would likely show the MB Navi stuff.

Old 03-30-2020, 06:36 AM

GLC 300 2020 SUV
Originally Posted by High Technology

I agree with you about the lack of customization of the left region in the cluster. It should have been possible.

However I have to say, the navigation system is absolutely spot on (at least in my region - GCC). It takes care of roundabouts, speed limits and everything. The only thing that's missing in my region is the augmented reality road signs.

I have the driver assistance package with adaptive cruise control and route based speed Adaptation which slows the car down before reaching roundabouts and even at curves.

I also have the traffic sign assist which reads 90% the traffic signs accurately, so that definitely helps.
Old 03-31-2020, 01:02 AM

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
2020 MB-AMG GLC43
Originally Posted by Stark33
I agree with you about the lack of customization of the left region in the cluster. It should have been possible.

However I have to say, the navigation system is absolutely spot on (at least in my region - GCC). It takes care of roundabouts, speed limits and everything. The only thing that's missing in my region is the augmented reality road signs.

I have the driver assistance package with adaptive cruise control and route based speed Adaptation which slows the car down before reaching roundabouts and even at curves.

I also have the traffic sign assist which reads 90% the traffic signs accurately, so that definitely helps.
the built in Nav is terrible where I am - and that is after updating.

sign recognition is so bad I have turned off speed limit display.
Old 03-31-2020, 03:08 PM

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
2021 GLE 450
look at the new A class and the newer amg models. the display is different in the IP regarding the left and right of the central tach mode. they both glide front to back displaying speed and revs. not available on the glc. also there are options that are not available such as massage function and other comfort items and no cabin air freshener in the box;
Old 03-31-2020, 03:08 PM

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
2021 GLE 450
Originally Posted by FastE
the built in Nav is terrible where I am - and that is after updating.

sign recognition is so bad I have turned off speed limit display.
its not terrible here. and not many complain about it either