GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

Difference between the 2020 MBUX in the GLC vs MBUX in other models?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-14-2020, 08:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C300
Difference between the 2020 MBUX in the GLC vs MBUX in other models?

Hi,

Anyone know if there is any difference between the MBUX unit in the facelifted 2020 GLC with tech package vs the MBUX in the say A class... maybe I got it wrong but it seems like the version on the GLC is not a full version ... eg. gesture etc... I may have mistaken or confused with those other new tech. Thanks
Old 01-14-2020, 10:02 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
W220
There's no gesture control and you can't have full screen navigation on the main display
Old 01-14-2020, 10:09 PM

C300
Originally Posted by Daniel6L
There's no gesture control and you can't have full screen navigation on the main display
yes that's correct... I was wondering above those two.... Wonder if there is a list of things somewhere which itemize the missing features?
Old 01-15-2020, 09:28 AM

Received 321 Likes on 249 Posts
2023 EQB 350 & 2014 GL350
We are considering a new GLC and happened to have a brand new 2020 loaner from the dealer last week. It had the NFC package so my iPhone would charge wirelessly, but there didn't appear to be wireless CarPlay.

I thought Mercedes announced that wireless CarPlay was part of MBUX a while back??? Is the GLC MBUX system actually different, or has anybody heard anything about announced updates to it?

We are not in a hurry to buy a new vehicle, so I'll happily wait so see how this shakes out. But I'm not gonna buy a new vehicle, and especially one with wireless charging, without it.
Old 01-15-2020, 09:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,000 Likes on 586 Posts
N/A
The main difference is that some models will have dual 7-inch displays as standard, and have a 10.25-inch upgrade option through, most likely, a Premium Package.

There are other options that can be added to cars and probably aren't standard:
1. Wireless Charging/NFC
2. MBUX Interior Assist/Gesture Control (not available until June 2020)
3. Multimedia, Driver, and Parking packages

Android Auto and Apple CarPlay should be standard on all models. Wireless is not available. No comment from MB yet it they will enable it.

I believe otherwise, the hardware and software of MBUX itself is the same between all current models. As you tick options, additional features may be available.

Last edited by Eaton; 01-15-2020 at 09:42 AM.
Old 01-15-2020, 10:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2020 GLC 300, 2017 Lincoln MKZ
Originally Posted by cadetdrivr
We are considering a new GLC and happened to have a brand new 2020 loaner from the dealer last week. It had the NFC package so my iPhone would charge wirelessly, but there didn't appear to be wireless CarPlay.

I thought Mercedes announced that wireless CarPlay was part of MBUX a while back??? Is the GLC MBUX system actually different, or has anybody heard anything about announced updates to it?

We are not in a hurry to buy a new vehicle, so I'll happily wait so see how this shakes out. But I'm not gonna buy a new vehicle, and especially one with wireless charging, without it.
When I test drove the GLC, my salesman said wireless CarPlay and AndroidAuto would be backward compatible to current systems. In other words, we would be able to get updates to our systems to incorporate
the wireless phone apps. Don't know how true this is.
Old 01-15-2020, 10:45 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2020 GLC300 (ED re-delivery pending)
Originally Posted by Eaton
The main difference is that some models will have dual 7-inch displays as standard, and have a 10.25-inch upgrade option through, most likely, a Premium Package.

There are other options that can be added to cars and probably aren't standard:
1. Wireless Charging/NFC
2. MBUX Interior Assist/Gesture Control (not available until June 2020)
3. Multimedia, Driver, and Parking packages
*USA model*

The 10.25 in center screen is standard / full digital cluster is not - relevant info from the dealer order guide:
  • Smartphone Integration (Apple CarPlay ™, Android Auto) becomes standard
  • Next-Generation Infotainment System “MBUX” now standard incl. “Hey Mercedes”
  • 10.25” Center Touchscreen now available and is standard
Optional
  • 12.3” Digital Instrument Panel available ($750 standalone)
  • Inductive Wireless Charging and NFC Pairing (897) added as standalone option ($200)
  • Nav + w/traffic & Augmented Video for Navigation (U19) now available in Multimedia Package ($1250)
Old 01-15-2020, 05:10 PM

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Past 03 SL500,03 C240, 07 E350, 07 ML350, 10 ML350,11&14 E350 X2 2017 E300, 2017 C350e & 2000 S500
touch pads do not work with android auto, neither the steering wheel touch pads or the center console! huge disappointment
Old 01-15-2020, 06:37 PM

C300
Also a side question. if anyone knows that if the selected memory number (seat) and adjusted position of steering wheel linked to the selected profile (one of the 7 setup)? In the manual it mentioned "depends on the equipment..." but for the 2020 GLC43 I tested the profile only seem to save the radio station etc. the seat memory still have to manually select, which is kind of weird
Old 01-15-2020, 06:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,926 Likes on 2,624 Posts
2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by cadetdrivr
They said they would add wireless CarPlay via software update, but that hasn't happened yet. It was supposed to become available in Europe sometime in 2019. Not sure if that happened. I have heard no date for the North American market. There are actually many features planned for MBUX, such as integration with parking providers so you can pay for your parking directly from MBUX as well as reserve a parking spot and other new services. No dates were given again for North America, but I've seen a prototype for Europe. There's a YouTube video. I'll post it if I can find it again. I've heard that Mercedes is not happy with the wireless CarPlay experience at the moment. It's somewhat laggy compared to a wired connection. Maybe it has improved in iOS 13, but I don't know. There is also the issue that wireless CarPlay actually works over WiFi. Bluetooth is only used to establish the initial connection and exchange the WiFi SSD and password, and then the phone drops the Bluetooth connection and connects via WiFi. That generally means you'll have to pay for the hotspot service in the car, otherwise the phone won't have a data connection while connected to wireless CarPlay.
Old 01-15-2020, 06:54 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2020 GLC300 (ED re-delivery pending)
Originally Posted by superswiss
... There is also the issue that wireless CarPlay actually works over WiFi. Bluetooth is only used to establish the initial connection and exchange the WiFi SSD and password, and then the phone drops the Bluetooth connection and connects via WiFi. That generally means you'll have to pay for the hotspot service in the car, otherwise the phone won't have a data connection while connected to wireless CarPlay.
You should *not* need an internet data connection for the phone to connect to car WiFi network for wireless CarPlay.
The phone can still use it's wireless connection for data as when plugged in via USB.

Old 01-15-2020, 06:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,926 Likes on 2,624 Posts
2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by pcbrew
You should *not* need an internet data connection for the phone to connect to car WiFi network for wireless CarPlay.
The phone can still use it's wireless connection for data as when plugged in via USB.
There is some clarity needed on this front. Traditionally, when using wireless CarPlay the phone established a normal WiFi connection, which meant all data traffic from that point on went over the WiFi connection. I know over on the Audi forum, some folks had issues with wireless CarPlay not working properly anymore after they let their hotspot service expire. It appears iOS 13 has added the capability to differentiate and route the data traffic separate from the WiFi connection for CarPlay, but I haven't found official confirmation yet that this is the case. When using a USB connection, the case is straight forward because the phone doesn't route its data traffic over the USB connection, so you can choose to either use cellular data or connect to the car's WiFi hotspot.
Old 01-15-2020, 07:59 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
W220
Originally Posted by superswiss
There is some clarity needed on this front. Traditionally, when using wireless CarPlay the phone established a normal WiFi connection, which meant all data traffic from that point on went over the WiFi connection. I know over on the Audi forum, some folks had issues with wireless CarPlay not working properly anymore after they let their hotspot service expire. It appears iOS 13 has added the capability to differentiate and route the data traffic separate from the WiFi connection for CarPlay, but I haven't found official confirmation yet that this is the case. When using a USB connection, the case is straight forward because the phone doesn't route its data traffic over the USB connection, so you can choose to either use cellular data or connect to the car's WiFi hotspot.
I have wireless carplay in my other car and the LTE (4G) connection works fine while connected to wireless carplay. When using navigation it seems about 1 second behind the wired connection but I would trade that for the convenience of the wireless connection for short trips.
Old 01-15-2020, 09:02 PM

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
2020 GLC 300
Originally Posted by bazan
Also a side question. if anyone knows that if the selected memory number (seat) and adjusted position of steering wheel linked to the selected profile (one of the 7 setup)? In the manual it mentioned "depends on the equipment..." but for the 2020 GLC43 I tested the profile only seem to save the radio station etc. the seat memory still have to manually select, which is kind of weird
My 2020 GLC 300 does not auto-adjust seat based on profile, even though the manual discusses the feature and the car profile setup let me enable seat auto-adjust for my profile. Bummer

Seat memory is also not related to user profile, as in memory 1 is my seat settings no matter which profile is in use. I even tried changing memory 1 in another profile thinking that was how the auto-adjust worked... but it just overwrote my settings under all profiles.
Old 01-16-2020, 07:56 AM

C300
Originally Posted by tGs Wraith
My 2020 GLC 300 does not auto-adjust seat based on profile, even though the manual discusses the feature and the car profile setup let me enable seat auto-adjust for my profile. Bummer

Seat memory is also not related to user profile, as in memory 1 is my seat settings no matter which profile is in use. I even tried changing memory 1 in another profile thinking that was how the auto-adjust worked... but it just overwrote my settings under all profiles.
That's exactly what I discover. kind of defeated the purpose of the use of the profile function . so everytime getting into the car one have to select the profile (for radio , favorites etc) and also the seat memory. I assume the profile must be link to seat memory in other models ... not quite sure why they take this convenience out for the GLC. Give me an impression of the MBUX in the facelift 2020 GlC is a downlevel version with all the minor differences here and there
Old 01-16-2020, 07:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2020 GLC 300, 2017 Lincoln MKZ
Originally Posted by Mbracer26
touch pads do not work with android auto, neither the steering wheel touch pads or the center console! huge disappointment
How is that possible? Has anyone else tried Android Auto on the 2020?
Old 01-16-2020, 08:25 AM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
2020 GLC, 2022 C
Confirm with others' experiences: MBUX Profile does not have any coordination with seat/mirror memory. And I actually read somewhere that MB does not associate a profile with a specific keyfob because that is "too limiting" - you only get 2 keys (though I'm sure you can add more), but with MBUX you can have like 8 or 9 profiles...I call BS on that excuse. Who has 9 drivers for their MB? At least make it an option to associate a seat/mirror (and MBUX Profile) with a specific keyfob. Then when you unlock the car, the vehicle sets the seat and mirrors according to the user's key. It's way more convenient!
Old 01-16-2020, 08:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 184 Likes on 151 Posts
GLC 300d 4matic
Is it not the case now that seat adjustment to individual memory settings only happens when the memory button is pressed and held?
This is a safety feature and presumably the logic is carried through to the issue discussed.
Old 01-16-2020, 08:45 AM

2020 GLC, 2022 C
Yes, you must hold the seat memory button for the seat to move. "Safety feature"? That's ridiculous. With the amount of technology already in the car? What are they worried about? Someone pressing a different profile while driving? You think the car can't tell that it's in-gear/in-motion and NOT move the seat or otherwise warn the driver?
Old 01-16-2020, 08:45 AM

C300
Originally Posted by MBHoutex
How is that possible? Has anyone else tried Android Auto on the 2020?
Thats true. to operate android auto... you have to reach over to the touch screen. worst than my 2017 command.. which at lease I can use my rotating knob to select
Old 01-16-2020, 08:55 AM

C300
Originally Posted by aweber1nj
Confirm with others' experiences: MBUX Profile does not have any coordination with seat/mirror memory. And I actually read somewhere that MB does not associate a profile with a specific keyfob because that is "too limiting" - you only get 2 keys (though I'm sure you can add more), but with MBUX you can have like 8 or 9 profiles...I call BS on that excuse. Who has 9 drivers for their MB? At least make it an option to associate a seat/mirror (and MBUX Profile) with a specific keyfob. Then when you unlock the car, the vehicle sets the seat and mirrors according to the user's key. It's way more convenient!
i wonder if this is only with thebMBUX/GLC integration?... if anyone very the same happening in the A-class eg. As in the manual it specifically mention about dear and steering association with profiles... though withe catch phrase... "depending how your vehicle equipped..."
Old 01-16-2020, 09:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLC 300d 4matic
Yes, you must hold the seat memory button for the seat to move. "Safety feature"? That's ridiculous. With the amount of technology already in the car? What are they worried about? Someone pressing a different profile while driving? You think the car can't tell that it's in-gear/in-motion and NOT move the seat or otherwise warn the driver?
Nothing to do with seat moving while car is in motion.
Think more about a child in rear of car crouched in footwell and seat moves to a different position etc!
Old 01-16-2020, 09:23 AM

2020 GLC, 2022 C
Originally Posted by decorily
Nothing to do with seat moving while car is in motion.
Think more about a child in rear of car crouched in footwell and seat moves to a different position etc!
I don't see your point. The seat moves when you select it to. Whether or not this is part of the MBUX profile, the separate seat/mirror memory, or a keyfob profile is the same.

If you have entirely manual seats and you suddenly push the seat back on your hypothetical child crouching down in the footwell it is basically the same. At some point the driver must take some responsibility for his/her actions.
Old 01-16-2020, 10:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLC 300d 4matic
I don't see your point. The seat moves when you select it to. Whether or not this is part of the MBUX profile, the separate seat/mirror memory, or a keyfob profile is the same.

If you have entirely manual seats and you suddenly push the seat back on your hypothetical child crouching down in the footwell it is basically the same. At some point the driver must take some responsibility for his/her actions.
There is a difference, from a safety aswell as a liability perspective, between say a driver pressing and holding a button to move the seat and the seat automatically moving just because it senses a key in proximity or whatever.
This action by the driver of holding the button to move the seat means that they are in a position to be aware of any hazards and take responsibility for any outcomes as opposed to the car manufacturer allowing a potentially hazardous movement just because the key is present.
This responsibility is exactly what you allude to in your response.
It's not my logic but instead commonly accepted best practice.
Old 01-16-2020, 10:44 AM

2020 GLC, 2022 C
How is it possible MB is not the only car mfr left??? I had that tech on my BMW in the 2000s. Are they still in business? Not prosecuted to their last penny?

The "key being present" is not how I've seen it work. That would not make sense, because it would be trivial for multiple keys to be present. When the driver unlocks the car (from the outside), the seats and mirrors go to the settings defined in the keyfob's profile. By the time you sit in the car you are ready to drive. You do not have to stand in the rain (possibly in traffic) and wait for the seat to move while holding the door open, for example.

You do realize that you do not have to program the seats to move, right? Or you could - for safety reasons - set all the memory settings to move the seat to the forward most position. These are driver-specific settings setup by the driver/owner of the vehicle (who may or may not have children in the first place).

I think we have taken the thread off-topic, and I apologize on my behalf. We should agree to disagree on whether the driver should be responsible for understanding how a seat moves in their luxury automobile. mo leithscéal

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Difference between the 2020 MBUX in the GLC vs MBUX in other models?