GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

2020 GLC 300 4Matic - blown engine

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-18-2020, 12:00 PM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
GLC 300 4Matic
Originally Posted by bobcpa
Althor, do a search of this forum....I experienced a severe problem with my 2020 GLC with less than 300 miles.....turns out the issue was some "loose" bearings.......went through the same issue with MBUSA and the dealership....ended up rebuilding the entire engine because they had to get to the parts of the engine where the bearings were.....I had your same concerns; however, the service dept told me that the engine is probably in better shape than when it came from Germany because a human was taking the engine apart and putting it back together rather than robots.....the dealership gave me a very nice "make good" of a $750 Marriot gift card.....I now have over 2,000 miles on the car and it is behaving flawlessly.
Glad to hear they were able to repair your issues to your satisfaction. That’s what is important. I’m certain there are very good craftsmen who take pride in their work and are more than capable of repairing correctly. In my case the engine was not repairable, the cylinder walls were badly damaged due to the wrist pin retainer clips coming loose. Currently the replacement engine appears to be fine, it’s just other problems now plaguing the car. ECU, starter/alternator, water pump all replaced. In knowing that MB is buying back the car I’m fine with allowing the dealer to try and get the car repaired properly.

I sat down with the dealer yesterday and configured a 2021 GLC 300 4matic. They think if ordered now it would be approximately October to November time line for delivery. I’m going to wait until my buy back is completed before ordering.
Old 10-29-2020, 10:58 AM

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts
2016 GLC300
Althor,
What was the end result of this? I'm sorry you had to go through with this. Can literally happen on any car brand out there.
Old 10-30-2020, 07:42 AM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
GLC 300 4Matic
MB USA did buyback my vehicle, the process took about 7 weeks to complete and they wouldn’t reimburse items like prepaid maintenance, these dealer sold items had to be addressed and refunded separately. When all the dust settled I ended up whole on the purchase price minus a charge for mileage. Happy to have this issue in my rear view mirror.

Now on to next MB debacle, in June I placed an order for a 2021 GLC 300 4matic. At the time of order the dealership said the estimated delivery time should be around mid November. The dealership called me on September 28 and told me my car is there and ready for pick up. My wife and I went down to the dealership the next day and inspected the car. Everything was perfect, all options, colors were exactly as ordered, except it’s a 2020 model year. I told them thanks but no thanks as it’s not what I ordered. After about 20 minutes of confusion the sales manager showed up and informed me they had accidentally ordered two identical vehicles, one a 2020 and the other a 2021. They apologized profusely and told me I could wait for the 2021 to arrive or they would make me a really good deal on the 2020. After a few minutes of negotiations I bought the 2020 model. The wife is happy and I am happy with the deal. It ended up at 16.8% off MSRP.
The following 2 users liked this post by Althor:
chassis (10-30-2020), SilverSurferMB (10-30-2020)
Old 10-30-2020, 10:00 AM

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts
2020 GLC 300 SUV 4Matic
Originally Posted by Althor
MB USA did buyback my vehicle, the process took about 7 weeks to complete and they wouldn’t reimburse items like prepaid maintenance, these dealer sold items had to be addressed and refunded separately. When all the dust settled I ended up whole on the purchase price minus a charge for mileage. Happy to have this issue in my rear view mirror.

Now on to next MB debacle, in June I placed an order for a 2021 GLC 300 4matic. At the time of order the dealership said the estimated delivery time should be around mid November. The dealership called me on September 28 and told me my car is there and ready for pick up. My wife and I went down to the dealership the next day and inspected the car. Everything was perfect, all options, colors were exactly as ordered, except it’s a 2020 model year. I told them thanks but no thanks as it’s not what I ordered. After about 20 minutes of confusion the sales manager showed up and informed me they had accidentally ordered two identical vehicles, one a 2020 and the other a 2021. They apologized profusely and told me I could wait for the 2021 to arrive or they would make me a really good deal on the 2020. After a few minutes of negotiations I bought the 2020 model. The wife is happy and I am happy with the deal. It ended up at 16.8% off MSRP.
You will be happy with the 2020 GLC 300 4Matic. Minimal changes were made to the 2021 and for nearly 17% off MSRP - you'll get over the pain of your recent experience. It sounds like the dealership was honest, admitted their mistake and negotiated with you on price plus renumerated you for the dealer add ons.

Last edited by Wxchaser; 10-30-2020 at 02:05 PM.
Old 10-30-2020, 01:10 PM

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
2020 GLC 300 4Matic OffRoad
Originally Posted by Althor

My dealer updated me with VIN number before the delivery or maybe I asked for it. So no mistake could happen like that.

It is very good deal for you.
Old 11-01-2020, 09:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 994 Likes on 766 Posts
2003 CL 600
Yep, I bought my '18 in late 2018 as the 19s were coming out and got a great deal on it, if there isn't any real change you need for the newer year model, it can be a nice savings. Mine is a lease so it's going back at the end anyway, I don't worry about value down the line due to it being 1 year older.
The following users liked this post:
chassis (11-01-2020)
Old 11-01-2020, 10:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,764 Likes on 2,150 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
Deleted
Old 11-01-2020, 09:24 PM

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts
19 GLC300 4M (lunar blue/black/black ash aluminum),17 GLE350 4M (selenite grey/ espresso/eucalyptus)
Yeah, sorry you had to go through this. Enjoy the new one though.
M274 was older and hence more reliable.
Wait a few years and the new engine will be just as good on the 2023s and forward.
Old 02-07-2024, 02:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2021 GLB 250
at just 18k miles and after a trip from California to Arkansas and back, the car engine light came on. I was almost home so I pushed it. As I drove into my driveway there was hardly enough strength to get into the garage and I parked it outside because I thought the repair service might need to get into the engine area with more room. MB sent a tow truck the next day and it went into the garage. Pistons misfired and engine had to be replaced or rebuilt??? Now at 36k, the engine light is back on. My concern to begin with was if they are replacing parts with the same parts, it's pretty obvious this will happen again, just a matter of time and now it's out of warranty. I will take it in tomorrow for an evaluation but if it needs another engine replacement, I'm going to sue as a lemon. I don't know what the California lemon law says and don't care. I don't want the car back if it's going to break down every 15 thousand miles. Totally unhappy with the performance of this car. Not the way my other MB worked. This one felt tinny, maps were no where to be found, have to hook up my phone which is not acceptable. can't even get radio as Sirius is unable to connect to this piece of junk. I had to replace two front tires at 18k miles while the back tires were fine. Not what I expect from MB. The car had dinks in the paint when I bought it that were very tiny and I was offered a new paint job at "any time" from the original dealer in Little Rock, Ar but every time I went back there they were "booked solid" and could not accomodate me. I'm so done with MB. Don't need the aggravation.
The following users liked this post:
chassis (02-09-2024)
Old 02-09-2024, 11:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,650 Likes on 1,219 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Originally Posted by Coorl
at just 18k miles and after a trip from California to Arkansas and back, the car engine light came on. I was almost home so I pushed it. As I drove into my driveway there was hardly enough strength to get into the garage and I parked it outside because I thought the repair service might need to get into the engine area with more room. MB sent a tow truck the next day and it went into the garage. Pistons misfired and engine had to be replaced or rebuilt??? Now at 36k, the engine light is back on. My concern to begin with was if they are replacing parts with the same parts, it's pretty obvious this will happen again, just a matter of time and now it's out of warranty. I will take it in tomorrow for an evaluation but if it needs another engine replacement, I'm going to sue as a lemon. I don't know what the California lemon law says and don't care. I don't want the car back if it's going to break down every 15 thousand miles. Totally unhappy with the performance of this car. Not the way my other MB worked. This one felt tinny, maps were no where to be found, have to hook up my phone which is not acceptable. can't even get radio as Sirius is unable to connect to this piece of junk. I had to replace two front tires at 18k miles while the back tires were fine. Not what I expect from MB. The car had dinks in the paint when I bought it that were very tiny and I was offered a new paint job at "any time" from the original dealer in Little Rock, Ar but every time I went back there they were "booked solid" and could not accomodate me. I'm so done with MB. Don't need the aggravation.
GLB?