GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

2020 usb-c port with Qi charger

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-30-2020, 10:24 AM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
2020 GLC, 2022 C
Question 2020 usb-c port with Qi charger

I have the Qi/wireless charging option in my 2020 GLC. Adjacent to that "pad" is a USB-C port that I believe is the only one designated for CarPlay/AndroidAuto.

I have a third-party charger plugged into that port, because it's closest to the cup holders. For some reason, some days that port does not power-up. My charger is in-op. Other days it's just fine!

Two things that I have tested - that make it all the more strange: 1) Plugging into one of the center-console USB-C ports - same charger and cable - is reliable and always powered/works. 2) After car is running, if I unplug from the dash port and then re-plug, it _sometimes_ works (power is supplied).

Has anyone else seen anything strange with this usb port?
Old 09-30-2020, 02:07 PM

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts
2020 GLC 300 SUV 4Matic
I also have a 2020 GLC with wireless charging. No issues using Apple cables and MB media cable adapter or by using an Apple USB-C to lightning adapter to connect my phone directly without needing any adapter. Aftermarket cables are sometimes problematic.I found this out the hard way several months ago when trying to figure out why I could not get the Denon Audyssey MultEQ program to configre 2 subwoofers in my home theater system. After several weeks I traced it down to a bad subwoofer cable (old Monster Cable) - I changed to matching Mediabridge Ultra 15' sub cable and MultEQ ran dual subwoofer configuration without issue.

My daughter has had problems with Apple products and aftermarket cables. YMMV but that is my suggestion. I keep 2 MB media cables and 2 USB-C to lightning cables in my center console.

Old 10-01-2020, 10:45 AM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
2020 GLC, 2022 C
Totally agree that cables can be tricky, and I've had my fair share of issues with them. I'm not sure how a low-voltage cable that is working and remains undisturbed can go bad, but I guess it can happen.

Thanks for the reply.