Help: upgrade from static LED headlights

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-01-2021, 01:42 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
GLC63
Help: upgrade from static LED headlights

Hello,

I’m looking for some guidance on my options and vendor suggestions that sell plug and play full LED headlight upgrades.

I currently have static LED headlights without Active LED option and want to upgrade to full LEDs headlights look (2 projectors).

Not looking to gain Active LED features so something aftermarket like this.

Thanks!

Last edited by GLC63_; 03-01-2021 at 02:08 AM.
Old 03-01-2021, 08:54 AM

Received 61 Likes on 37 Posts
16-E350Wagon*sold 17-GLC43*sold 2018 GLC43 Current
Originally Posted by GLC63_
Hello,

I’m looking for some guidance on my options and vendor suggestions that sell plug and play full LED headlight upgrades.

I currently have static LED headlights without Active LED option and want to upgrade to full LEDs headlights look (2 projectors).

Thanks!
I'm about to pick a set of these up. I searched and searched and searched and finally found an old thread where someone had purchased these and vouched for them. We don't have much in the way of options unfortunately This was the sole vendor I could find that has them:
https://www.betaautoparts.com/produc...61-2538202061/
The following users liked this post:
GLC63_ (03-01-2021)
Old 03-01-2021, 09:03 PM

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts
19 GLC300 4M (lunar blue/black/black ash aluminum),17 GLE350 4M (selenite grey/ espresso/eucalyptus)
Hello,

Thanks!

Just clarifying, are you looking for the curve lighting or do you just want the added brightness of 2 projectors?
The latter is plug and play, the former requires some work.
GLC63_ (03-01-2021)
Old 03-01-2021, 10:02 PM

GLC63
I ended up going with Beta Auto Parts headlight upgrade from Static LED to Dynamic LED. Think this is exactly what I was looking for and cheaper than eBay headlights too.

Lighting source in all projectors are LED so I think it will be close to OEM.
ParjAS (03-02-2021)
Old 03-02-2021, 12:17 AM

GLC63
Originally Posted by sbradleyhall
I'm about to pick a set of these up. I searched and searched and searched and finally found an old thread where someone had purchased these and vouched for them. We don't have much in the way of options unfortunately This was the sole vendor I could find that has them:
https://www.betaautoparts.com/produc...61-2538202061/
So I ordered the Headlamp Upgrade from Static LED to Dynamic LED but BETA AUTO has just informed me that it is NOT plug and play and headlights need to be programmed.

I don’t know what programming; BETA AUTO could not inform me further.

I’m curious how much programming would cost and if shops would take it on in the Washington DC area too. BETA AUTO headlights come with adapters but I’m curious if additional parts are needed besides programming... (they said no).

Benefit to eBay headlights is that it comes programmed for a plug and play application but they are $500 more.

Searching the forums but let me know if you have any insight.
Old 03-02-2021, 12:52 PM

So I ordered the Headlamp Upgrade from Static LED to Dynamic LED but BETA AUTO has just informed me that it is NOT plug and play and headlights need to be programmed.

I don’t know what programming; BETA AUTO could not inform me further.

I’m curious how much programming would cost and if shops would take it on in the Washington DC area too. BETA AUTO headlights come with adapters but I’m curious if additional parts are needed besides programming... (they said no).

Benefit to eBay headlights is that it comes programmed for a plug and play application but they are $500 more.

Searching the forums but let me know if you have any insight.
So that was one of my primary concerns as well! The forum member who pointed me to these said that his car (also a GLC43) was halogen (like mine) and they were literally plug and play. He had an autobody shop do the install as he wasn't comfortable with removing the bumper. They installed the lights, aligned them correctly, and he was on his way. I plan to install mine myself but was concerned until he told me it was such a straightforward installation. Now, there are a few differences here- we have 43's and both of us have halogens currently. I just ordered all my Burger Motorsports stuff so my headlights are going to have to wait until Fall (once spring summer gets here I won't be driving in the dark much anyway) so I won't have my own firsthand experience with this yet. Let me dig up the old posts I found and see if I can get some more info...
Old 03-02-2021, 12:54 PM

Here's the thread - the OP was super quick to respond when I asked questions about the source and install.
https://mbworld.org/forums/glc63s-gl...t-upgrade.html
Old 03-02-2021, 08:31 PM

19 GLC300 4M (lunar blue/black/black ash aluminum),17 GLE350 4M (selenite grey/ espresso/eucalyptus)
The programming may cost more than the ebay, that would be the primary concern. This may also void the warranty, be aware of that.
Old 03-02-2021, 11:45 PM

GLC63
Very true. BETA AUTO has just informed me that the programming is “standard”.

I guess this boils down to saving a couple hundred bucks or not.

BETA AUTO is a reliable source from what I gathered based on previous thread.

Maybe it is worth a shot...
ParjAS (03-03-2021)
Old 03-03-2021, 09:41 PM

Very true. BETA AUTO has just informed me that the programming is “standard”.

I guess this boils down to saving a couple hundred bucks or not.

BETA AUTO is a reliable source from what I gathered based on previous thread.

Maybe it is worth a shot...
Go for it