GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

GLC 300 Engine failure

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-18-2023, 06:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 257 Likes on 228 Posts
2018 GLC300 4Matic; 2008 ML550 4Matic; 2004 C320
Are you guys trying to make a Harvard degree out of this?
The following users liked this post:
chassis (10-29-2023)
Old 10-29-2023, 08:36 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
2018 GLC300
Originally Posted by seamus2154
None of us will ever know the real number of failures. MB will never let that be known. Then there are those out of warranty that arent on forums who just sold the car as is or did an independant repair. There are many posts on several forums for some time now, and now that the mileage is getting higher there seem to be more popping up. I have a vested interest in knowing but am not interejcting a bias towards "its nothing" to make myself feel better which is what some are doing. No car should have such an issue at all especially under 75K properly maintained. Yet they are happening. Its an obvious defect as its the exact same issue. I have an unlimited MB 2 yr extended warranty. In two years I will figure whether I am in or out, but not risking a 12-20K repair on a used cheap truck.
MB is clearly just trying to get though the warranty period. Its a financial decision as thats the cheaper way to go for them. That doesnt mean its not a real problem.

Well I just did my trans service at my trusted independant shop who has a former Mercedes tech. His words when I asked him his opinion on the motor. "well I can tell you I changed alot of motors in that generation truck" !!!! He said its a real problem, he wouldnt own one. Thats one tech in one dealership with only that exposure....think about that. Think about what we dont know. Everyone who owns a MB is not an enthusiast or on a forum. This can be an echo chamber. But my techs experience speaks volumes.

There are known issues with many manufactures. Just because it didnt happen or happen yet doesnt mean it wont. Where there is smoke there is fire.
I had an E46 M3..........Huge SMG trans problem with that generation. Great car in 100 ways...but there is no denying the issue. Mileage got higher more SMG reports. It took many years for it to BE KNOWN. The same is happening here. Why people deny something because it isnt presently happening to them I dont know. Will they come back if it happens and say I was wrong??
As an owner of a GLC 300 with a failed M274 engine I thank you for your kind, considerate well-balanced viewpoint.

My vehicle has 88 000 kms, I completed oil changes at 10 000 kms & always used the highest octane petro available.

Questioning drivers about driving habits and care of their vehicles is akin to "blame the worker" 70's safety mentality!

These luxury vehicles should not have catastrophic engine failure. This company marketing its products as luxury, high quality vehicles needs to step up, stand behind their products and issue a recall. Leaving owners to fight with dealers to honour watranties or figure it out on their own is not a solution!

The following 3 users liked this post by Ghickmb:
chassis (10-29-2023), seamus2154 (12-11-2023), Sunbeltgolfer11 (01-24-2024)
Old 10-31-2023, 10:08 PM

Received 77 Likes on 57 Posts
GLC300 (mine) GLK250 (wife's)
Originally Posted by S70Houston
Are you guys trying to make a Harvard degree out of this?
Didn't notice any Woke indoctrination in any the posts so probably no Harvard influences yet. Mind you, there is some Critical Piston Theory so we might be getting there.
The following 2 users liked this post by karmikan:
mikapen (11-01-2023), wwjdx (11-01-2023)
Old 10-31-2023, 10:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 257 Likes on 228 Posts
2018 GLC300 4Matic; 2008 ML550 4Matic; 2004 C320
Originally Posted by karmikan
Didn't notice any Woke indoctrination in any the posts so probably no Harvard influences yet. Mind you, there is some Critical Piston Theory so we might be getting there.
Well, carry on then. 😀
mikapen (11-01-2023)
Old 11-01-2023, 11:20 AM

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
2020 GLC300 touring version (but I miss my '93 300SE W140 tank)
I hope you will excuse my ignorance, but if LSPI always cracks piston lands, seems to me the fault is with metallurgy and/or piston design.
In the old days, we used to be able to hear pre-ignition. I don't remember anyone reporting that.
chassis (11-01-2023)
Old 11-01-2023, 01:46 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,930 Likes on 3,095 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by edpare
I hope you will excuse my ignorance, but if LSPI always cracks piston lands, seems to me the fault is with metallurgy and/or piston design.
In the old days, we used to be able to hear pre-ignition. I don't remember anyone reporting that.
Root cause of piston cracking, LSPI or otherwise, has not been definitively confirmed.

All MB 4 bangers starting with the M271, and carrying on to today, are junk.

What has been definitively confirmed, is that MB is a junk manufacturer of junk products, and does not stand behind them.
Old 11-03-2023, 03:18 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
2018 Mercedes Benz GLC 300 Coupe
Originally Posted by Ghickmb
Exact same as my vehicle, 0 compression on piston 1. Engine is toast. I am the 2nd owner, original owner had purchased extended warranty set to expire next week. Dealer tried the "warranty does not apply" spin even though the control arm replacement had been covered 6 months prior.

It has required persistent effort, constant pressure, assertiveness/aggressiveness and daily trips to the dealer. They do not like to hear contacting media and lawyers is a road you are willing to go down.

The dealer has been stalling and dishonest in their communication. Today I contacted MB Canada and filed a complaint. I will post an update on the outcome.

I did speak with a former MB technician who recommended a replacment engine with a manufacture date from July 2023 onward. Refurbished or repaired would result in a repeat of the same problem.

Here's some info I found while researching this issue, it may help you in your communicatuon with the dealer:
1) A class action has been filed in the US, Jamil vs MB, case #2:22-cv-08130. Plaintiff is represented by the Kalfayan Law Firm, Del Mar, California.

2) The NHTSA-ODI has initiated a defect petition, DP22-02. Stephen Ridella was the Director who initiated it. Notable in his letter to MB, the alleged defect is "incorrectly sized or otherwise unsuitable wrist pins causing mechanical engine damage".

3) There was an XENTRY notificatuon sent to MB service departments on 10-15-2018 about the clattering/rattling noise from the crank assembly of the M274 engine, topic # L103.10-P-060916.

4) Car complaints has a littany of consumers with the same complaint, mostly piston 1 with 0 compression. One customer refers to the M274 engine as the piston cracker.

This is the best vehicle I have ever owned, love the comfort and the ride....ever so disguisted, disheartened and disappointed that MB is not doing right by it's xustomers and issuing a recall!
Have you made any progress on your MB?
Update on mine:
The extended warranty company originally denied my claim (sighting insufficient maintanence records) I went over the maintanence records in detail I have every oil change (7500 miles) documented with receipts for oil, filters, air filters, miles, tire rotations, battery replacements everything I ever did to the car in chronological order and documented. They still gave me a hard time. They then had to resubmit my claim to the adjuster now are requesting bore scope photos from MB dealership, which MB sent to them 3 days ago and I called they didn't even upload them into the system these companies are a joke .. I filed a complaint with MB USA they said a MB referral manager would get back to me in- 24-48 hours I never heard from them I had to call back a week later they called and left a message I called them right back no answer I have left two messages since then no reply. The dealership did give me a loaner car its been 3 weeks now since the catastrophic engine failure. I called an attorney today for a consultation because nothing is progressing in any direction. I think MB is waiting to see what the warranty company does and the warranty company is waiting to see what MB will do. MB Sh*t show should of kept my BMW had 140k miles on it ran like a champ......
Old 11-04-2023, 01:52 AM
Out Of Control!!

2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by Dawgpound22
Have you made any progress on your MB?
Update on mine:
The extended warranty company originally denied my claim (sighting insufficient maintanence records) I went over the maintanence records in detail I have every oil change (7500 miles) documented with receipts for oil, filters, air filters, miles, tire rotations, battery replacements everything I ever did to the car in chronological order and documented. They still gave me a hard time. They then had to resubmit my claim to the adjuster now are requesting bore scope photos from MB dealership, which MB sent to them 3 days ago and I called they didn't even upload them into the system these companies are a joke .. I filed a complaint with MB USA they said a MB referral manager would get back to me in- 24-48 hours I never heard from them I had to call back a week later they called and left a message I called them right back no answer I have left two messages since then no reply. The dealership did give me a loaner car its been 3 weeks now since the catastrophic engine failure. I called an attorney today for a consultation because nothing is progressing in any direction. I think MB is waiting to see what the warranty company does and the warranty company is waiting to see what MB will do. MB Sh*t show should of kept my BMW had 140k miles on it ran like a champ......
Sorry to hear about the travails. Best wishes to come through this situation as satisfactorily as possible.

MB is such a failed state. It’s the worst of the worst in the auto industry.
Old 11-04-2023, 01:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 182 Likes on 149 Posts
2018 GLC 4MATIC
I occasionally search for this issue in other countries, especially in Europe. While many of them have diesel engines, there are some petrol versions. So far, I haven't come across this issue. If you find it, please send me a link.

It's interesting to note that UK GLCs are equipped with 258bhp, while Germans and Western Europe have 211hp, and the US version has 241hp. This variation even occurs within the same year and model, like the GLC 300 4Matic.

Here is the source
https://www.automobile-catalog.com/m...atic/2016.html
chassis (11-04-2023)
Old 11-04-2023, 02:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,597 Likes on 1,175 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Originally Posted by chassis
Sorry to hear about the travails. Best wishes to come through this situation as satisfactorily as possible.

MB is such a failed state. It’s the worst of the worst in the auto industry.
So, in this case you're playing the Hyde of your Jekyll and Hyde posts. 😁
The following 2 users liked this post by mikapen:
62bassman (11-07-2023), S70Houston (11-04-2023)
Old 12-11-2023, 06:07 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
2018 Mercedes Benz GLC 300 Coupe
Final outcome: Finally got my 2018 MB GLC 300 Coupe 4 matic back today after 2 months, after battling MB USA for 1.5 months MB would not budge on helping me cover the replacement of the long block after I lost compression in piston 1 at 63,600 + or - miles. I did have an after market warranty with Veritas (please don't ever get a warranty with them, I cant tell you the BS they put you through not to mention they have the worst phone system for a business i have ever come across) it was a battle with them for 7 weeks before I decided to settle because I needed my car back. $13,800 repair I had to pay $2700 out of pocket had it towed to an independent shop for the repair, car runs great again but for how long, I love the look of the car so it will be difficult to give up, my mechanic said to keep it as it has a new engine but I'll be counting the miles until it dies again. No car should have catastrophic engine failure in todays modern age at 63,600 miles with the way i take care of car it just shouldn't happen I don't care what anyone says this would only happen with a design flaw you can put up all the studies of oil you want, my father was a engineer he said its a design flaw plain and simple. I know MB cannot admit and trust me i tried with every level of MB USA I got to, they just zip their mouth shut which tells me all i need to know. I will be reporting this to the National Transportation and joining the class action lawsuit against MB here in CA. I will also be writing a letter to the CEO of MB USA, after purchasing 3 MB vehicles this will be my last...
The following 2 users liked this post by Dawgpound22:
chassis (12-11-2023), seamus2154 (12-11-2023)
Old 12-11-2023, 07:02 PM
Out Of Control!!

2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Glad you have your car back, and it’s running.

Sadly the M274 is on the to-be-avoided list.

E300
C300
GLC300

all use the M274.

Descendant engines M264 and M254 have their own problems. Avoid these also.

Avoid any MB 4 banger.
seamus2154 (12-11-2023)
Old 12-11-2023, 10:02 PM

Received 194 Likes on 136 Posts
2016 S550 sport, 2018 GLC300, M3, Zo7, 2021 Sierra Denali
Sorry for all the trouble. It is ridiculous. I am a car guy and all cars have issues of some sort. BUT..catastrophic ones with no warranty I am not doing. We loved our 2018 GLC300. Recently was at dealer 4 times for some intake sensor they just could not nail down. Our car was approaching 80K and warranty was coming up. In reality the book value is pretty low with 80-100K. This repair is an average of 12K. The truck will be worth ball park 15K with a possible 12K bomb going off that doesnt actually cure the issue from happening again. We loved it but not that much. Makes no financial sense. The repair is not proportionate to its value and not worth it to me. We traded out before it threw another code for the intake they can't fix. We got 18.5K on a trade for an Escalade ESV. Big upgrade, big truck but they have issues too.....but are a fraction of the cost out of warranty and a small portion compared to value of the truck. Keeping the S550 and will see you guys here and there, but no more GLC. MB handled it terribly.
chassis (12-12-2023)
Old 12-12-2023, 11:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,597 Likes on 1,175 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Several owners have reported that Mercedes covered their failed engine even though it was out of warranty and had more miles than this one.

I wonder what the difference was.

Were there no maintenance records?
Old 01-10-2024, 07:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MB GLC 300 4 Matic CUV
2021 MB GLC 300 SUV 4 matic Cylinder Head Leaky Valves

Not much has changed. My 2021 GLC 300 4-matic SUV, which I loved, at 82,000 miles the engine light went on. Out of warranty. Took it to an independent, who referred me to the dealer. Which showed that my cylinder head had leaky valves. I was presented with a bill of over $11,000 to replace the cylinder head with a video of the inside of the cylinder head to support the repair. I called the MB corporate office, and they said they could only help me if the car had less than 75,000 miles. I heard that Canada has extended the warranty to 15 years for this problem. Not available for US customers. I welcome any suggestions.

Originally Posted by Meadee
I have a 2016 GLC 300 4-matic that I loved, until last Friday. I drive a lot of long highway miles and take immaculate care of my vehicle and perform all suggested maintenance. While driving home through a very remote stretch of highway, my GLC suddenly started shuddering. No smoke or loud sounds, just shuddering. I pulled over and popped the hood, like we all would do. I saw nothing out of the ordinary. I tried restarting it and the idle was low and vibration was still there. I had a 2 hour tow (thanks to MB roadside service) and made it home 5 hours late. The local dealer in Bend, OR (great guys) said the piston failed and was ruptured on the top edge and the engine would need to be replaced. It is about a $12k fix. I'm out of warranty, but am flabbergasted that a 2016 with 66,000 miles on it already failed. Does anyone know if this is a common thing with this model, or year? I'm wondering if the fix is worth it.
Old 01-12-2024, 08:14 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
GLC 300 4matic 2020 AMG Line, ML 500, 2005
So while I know failures happen, having run a repair shop for 40+ years [retired] your comment "suggested maintenance" might be an issue. Milage for oil changes were extended to make customers happy. No turbocharged 4 cylinder should go 10K on an oil change. Oil is used to cool the turbo bearings, I do 5K on mine, as even once a year is a concern. The factory became obsessed with low maintenance , my 05 ML 500 is 13000 mi - no way.
jsdanish ASE Certified
The following 2 users liked this post by jsdanish:
kjb55 (01-17-2024), S70Houston (01-12-2024)
Old 01-16-2024, 07:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 182 Likes on 149 Posts
2018 GLC 4MATIC
Originally Posted by jsdanish
So while I know failures happen, having run a repair shop for 40+ years [retired] your comment "suggested maintenance" might be an issue. Milage for oil changes were extended to make customers happy. No turbocharged 4 cylinder should go 10K on an oil change. Oil is used to cool the turbo bearings, I do 5K on mine, as even once a year is a concern. The factory became obsessed with low maintenance , my 05 ML 500 is 13000 mi - no way.
jsdanish ASE Certified
Im afraid the oil change must be calculated by car's computer based on trips (short / long), RPMs, idling time and so on and on.
This is not possible, as customers wont like it, so manufacturers come up with recommended intervals, in this case engine will last warranty time frame. After that, not an issue.
I did see in Lexus forum, owner was changing the oil every 2K because of short trips and cold engine.

Its a 4 cylinder engine producing 240HP, some old V6 can't do this. Plus all ecology crap build in it, everything should be in perfect condition in order to keep it running.
Old 01-22-2024, 07:35 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2019 GLC300 4matic, 2019 C300 4matic, 2018 C300 4matic, 2009 C300 Flex, 2004 C230 Kompressor
Originally Posted by converse
Same thing happened to me. I drive a 2017 GLC300 with about 50,000 miles. Bought used in October 2021, engine failed this month - same piston problem as everyone is describing. $12,000 for new engine not including labor. I have an extended warranty but it doesn't cover everything.

This is obviously a manufacturer's defect.
So how much extended warranty covered the repairs may I ask?
Old 01-27-2024, 03:46 AM

C220 CDI Sport Saloon
Hi - I have a 2020 GLC300 with the M264 engine. 36k miles and serviced by mercedes. 8 months out of warranty. lost compression on no 2 cylinder and car came to a grinding halt during Motorway driving. New cylinderhead required. Replaced at a cost of £3500 but Mercedes made a 68% good will contribution. Still taking it up with Mercedes as this is by far a premature failure. I'll keep you posted on what the outcome is.
Old 04-22-2024, 10:26 PM

2020 BMW M8; 2021 GLC300
2021 GLC Failed

We have a 2021 GLC 300 with around 39k miles on it. Maintained at dealer per the maintenance package specifications. Brought to dealer today after shuddering and engine light over weekend. They are replacing hte engine completely under warranty. Pretty worried about this car long term now though. Just thought I'd add to the stats of failed 264s. Also, what is the likelihood this new engine is going to last? Can I tell when it was made somehow?