GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

Warranty question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-03-2021, 10:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLC 300
Warranty question

My 2018 GLC 300 has had a small oil leak for the last year or so. The dealership service department couldn't find the source of the leak, so they got authorization from Mercedes to replace the engine with a remanufactured one as it is covered by the original manufacturer warranty. When I asked about the warranty on the new engine, the dealership said it would fall under the original warranty, which expires in a few months. But I found this on Mercedes USA website that states a remanufactured engine carries a 4 year/50,000 mile warranty from the date of installation:

Remanufactured Parts

My question to the board is what kind of warranty coverage should I be getting on the new engine? Thank you in advance.
Old 08-04-2021, 09:08 AM

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts
2020 GLC300 & 2009 SL550 (previously had 1999 CLK / 2006 E500 / 2011 GL450)
Typically the warranty period that you mention is for parts you purchase out of warranty, whereas any warranty replacement items follow the original warranty period of the vehicle.

There might be exceptions where a repair is made near the end of your regular warranty period, and that repair subsequently fails. For example, if you took delivery of your 2018 vehicle in December 2017, had a remanufactured engine replaced in August 2021 and the engine fails in January 2022 (5 months after replacement, but after the vehicle warranty ends). But I wouldn't expect an additional 4 year warranty, but rather some reasonable period after installation. This may fall under a "goodwill" repair, but they should stand behind the replacement engine for a period of time to ensure there weren't any issues with the rebuild.

The fact the dealer can't find the leak source is odd -- that would be more concerning to me as this seems like an engine replacement is an extreme action for a small oil leak (then again, I don't know the circumstances).
Old 08-04-2021, 09:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLC 300
Originally Posted by High Technology
Typically the warranty period that you mention is for parts you purchase out of warranty, whereas any warranty replacement items follow the original warranty period of the vehicle.

There might be exceptions where a repair is made near the end of your regular warranty period, and that repair subsequently fails. For example, if you took delivery of your 2018 vehicle in December 2017, had a remanufactured engine replaced in August 2021 and the engine fails in January 2022 (5 months after replacement, but after the vehicle warranty ends). But I wouldn't expect an additional 4 year warranty, but rather some reasonable period after installation. This may fall under a "goodwill" repair, but they should stand behind the replacement engine for a period of time to ensure there weren't any issues with the rebuild.

The fact the dealer can't find the leak source is odd -- that would be more concerning to me as this seems like an engine replacement is an extreme action for a small oil leak (then again, I don't know the circumstances).
Thank you for the information. It is odd that they couldn't find the source of the small leak, but at least Mercedes is standing by their warranty and replacing the "defective" engine.
Old 08-04-2021, 08:50 PM
SPONSOR

Received 267 Likes on 203 Posts
2001 E55AMG
I feel like they know exactly what it is, but Mercedes does not want to issue a mass recall on the following vehicles, cheaper to issue new engines on those who have problems.